Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I beleive that was the Epsom Derby, not Ascot and the reason was that the Queens horse was a favorite to win. There was a lot of family that day.

I beleive that was the Epsom Derby, not Ascot and the reason was that the Queens horse was a favorite to win. There was a lot of family that day.

:previous:
You're right.Last year they attending Epsom Derby :flowers:

oh, thanks for the correction!

Thank you for all the pics.

I'm looking forward to seeing day 2's outfits. I thought the Queen, Camilla, Anne and Lady Brabourne all looked lovely yesterday. Not sure about Eugenie's outfit though.

Today Her Majesty and The Duke of Edinburgh will be accompanied by The Duke of York, The Princess Royal, The Countess of Wessex and Princess Alexandra.

Her Majesty is wearing light pink Angela Kelly this afternoon with Lord Valentine Cecil, Lord Irwin (Camilla's godson who appeared yesterday) accompanying her and The Duke.

Second Carriage: Princess Alexandra (in beige and chocolate), Air Marshal Sir David Walker, John Masara (Deputy Chairman of the Australian Racing Board) and Mrs Masara (Australian)

Third Carriage: Lord Vestis, Lady Vestis, Mr and Mrs Bedison (Australian)

Fourth Carriage: Lady Irwin, Mr and Mrs Simon Brookes Ward, Lieutenant Colonel Dan Rex

The Countess of Wessex and The Princess Royal are in attendance but not in the royal procession, they are presenting trophies to the winners of The Hunt Cup and The Prince of Wales Stakes.

Last edited:
The Earl of Wessex is there too. He came down to the paddock with the Queen. Spotted Princess Alexandra and i thought i saw Lady Helen, but it may not have been her.

it wouldnt surprise me to see quite a few family members today if they dont have other commitments as the Queens horse Carlton House is running - also, this appears to be the last day of good weather.

:previous: jury is out on the Duchess of Gloucester's dress til I see a better picture (but I dont think it is a rave) ...however, I love her hat!

I don't like it at all (not a fan of polka-dots) but I agree the hat looks nice.

I think Eugenie's dress is a misstep; with her curves she shouldn't wear a peplum style, it makes her hips look very wide.

Sophie's outfit makes her look really dowdy. Just saw it in full as she presented a cup, it is awfully "mumsie". LOVE her hat though.

I think Eugenie's dress is a misstep; with her curves she shouldn't wear a peplum style, it makes her hips look very wide.

I agree the peplum was an error in judgement...honestly, it looked as though her skirt got caught in her waistband and wasnt hanging properly - and I wanted someone to tell her, then I realized - oh it is supposed to be that way.

my fav Eurgenie moment at Ascot was last year when she wore the red McQueen dress and she got caught doing a little curtsy and a wave to her grandparents in the royal box.

Royal Ascot 2011: Princess Eugenie steals the show as she shows off her svelte figure in a stunning McQueen dress | Mail Online

I read - here probably - that fascinators were no longer 'allowed' at Ascot. In the pictures you can see that most women are indeed wearing more traditional hats - but I thought I espied fascinator-like hattery on one or two in the crowd. What happens to the offenders? :bb::blink::shock::wacko: Who decides who are offending? :unsure:

BTW one kicker photograph in the series shown in the article HERE They got the Queen's carriage perfectly lined up. Good composition.

Sorry to say, the Queen looks frumpy. :ohmy: Oh dear! It's like she had bad fabric.

Sophie looks like she's having a support-day problem. Her 'girls' are not perky enough for the dress darts. :ermm: I'll be the one to say it.

Last edited:
I read - here probably - that fascinators were no longer 'allowed' at Ascot. In the pictures you can see that most women are indeed wearing more traditional hats - but I thought I espied fascinator-like hattery on one or two in the crowd. What happens to the offenders? :bb::blink::shock::wacko: Who decides who are offending? :unsure:
Ascot has hired a special "fashion police" who make sure that all the attendees comply with the dress code. Those who do not are simply not allowed in.
I think the guidilene is that those in the Royal Enclosure must wear a hat that covers the 'crown of their head'. That means, for example, that Princess Haya's hat, while somewhat fascinator-like, doesn't break the rules.

BTW one kicker photograph in the series shown in the article HERE They got the Queen's carriage perfectly lined up. Good composition.

The rules apply to those wishing to enter the royal enclosure which includes the parade ring. There are staff posted at the entrances and they can refuse entry.

I think the guidilene is that those in the Royal Enclosure must wear a hat that covers the 'crown of their head'.

Which explains some men wearing little bell-like structures on the 'crown of their heads' with Union Jack colors and patterns painted on them. :lol:

Who is making the guidelines? I assume the Queen?

:previous: Not the Queen, but Ascot Racecourse Management.

Men must wear top hats and ties (not cravats) and a female hat must have a minimum of a 4ins. base

Last edited:
:previous: Not the Queen, but Ascot Racecourse Management.

Isn't that the same thing as saying the Queen?

Also, what would be the reason for so specifying? I don't like fascinators, but....

Curtsey

Artemisia - I looked at the "graceful curtsey" picture. Does the queen bob back? It looks like she does in this picture, but I am thinking I have seen examples where she does not (for example, with children?) If she does this bob all the time it is quite impressive given her age!

Artemisia - I looked at the "graceful curtsey" picture. Does the queen bob back? It looks like she does in this picture, but I am thinking I have seen examples where she does not (for example, with children?) If she does this bob all the time it is quite impressive given her age!
It's the angle of the picture; the Queen was making a step forward towards the Princess, so it looked like she's making a small curtsey in return.
As a Queen Regnant, Queen Elizabeth doesn't curtsey to anyone at all, although she did her fair of curtseying when she was a "mere" Princess Elizabeth. :)

Also, what would be the reason for so specifying? I don't like fascinators, but....

I can only answer part of this - the Queen does not own the racecourse, it is privately owned and it is for the owners to determine the dress code for their events. There has been a lot of criticism in recent years that standards have fallen ( in line with the raising of hem lines IMO).

Here are the standards from the Racecourse

Ascot Racecourse : Dress Code: Royal Ascot  

also this article from the DM highlights early on some of the examples of why there have been changes.

Royal Ascot 2012 dress code enforced by 'fashion police' as they hand out waistcoats and pashminas | Mail Online

The Earl of Wessex is there too. He came down to the paddock with the Queen. Spotted Princess Alexandra and i thought i saw Lady Helen, but it may not have been her.

where do you watch that? is it aired on british tv? :)

Tyger said:
Which explains some men wearing little bell-like structures on the 'crown of their heads' with Union Jack colors and patterns painted on them. :lol:

Who is making the guidelines? I assume the Queen?

Tyger said:

It's not the same as saying The Queen. As for the new rules you must wear a headpiece that is 4inches or 10 cm in diameter. Not just one that covers the crown of your head. You must also wear an outfit that is below the knee, above(only just) is allowed but frowned upon.

sunshine2012 said:
where do you watch that? is it aired on british tv? :)

It's aired in BBC1 and 2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom