Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I loved the hats worn by Eugenie and Zara. I thought they were stunning and very elegant.

the Queen - looked nice not a new outfit as i believe she wore it in Uganda but i really the hat that shape really suits her face
Camilla - she brought out the tree hat after Saturday's trooping the colour hedge/bird nest! liked the colour of the coat though the apple green is nice i believe the coat part of the outfit was new as there appeared to a trim at the hem but id need to have a closer image
Sophie - what is her obession with those dishes on her head and the dress was awful as it really didnt flatter her post-maternity figure that well
Zara - normally she is quite outragous and daring with her choice but today she was covered-up and i though quite nice not a big fan of the hat as it has a bit big and too much one-sided
what were the York girls thinking - they really are both a fashion disaster - nice to see them in the procession makes me wonder why they couldnt attend on saturday for trooping the colour or on monday for the garter yet went to polo on sunday!!!
Beatrice - awful, poorly fitted made her look huge especially by placing a black band around her waist which is her biggest part and she should not draw attention to that problem area. the material looked cheap and the P Treacy hat was awful and placed far too far forward on her head and her hair down was a big mistake
Eugenie - dire choice of hat, far too short a dress, cheap material of jacket although i like the colour as it brightened the look up, hair was nice up and away from her face but overall a really poor choice

i would image that Philip Treacy designed all the hats bar the Queens and as many have criticised Zara, Bea and Eugenie for there hat selection and im not a huge fan of the "tree" look from Camilla i really doesnt say alot for her talent or taste

any pictures yet of Anne i belive she was there but didnt go in the procession - wonder which decade she recycled her outfit form this time!!

I wonder if the Royals place bets on the races? Even if its just a small amount. Though i don't suppose we'll ever know. What do others think?

I don't even know where to start--isn't that horrible? HM looks wonderful, as usual. I do love her hat collection. She always puts a smile on my face.
The Duchess--yes, it's an outfit we've seen before, a hat we know, but honestly, she looks wonderful. She's wearing all those pearls, a classic brooch, earrings--she looks so regal--like a Queen in waiting--which is the look to go for.
The Countess of Wessex--I do like Sophie--I think she's a lovely lady--but that brooch is really not working with that outfit, and I am tired of these saucer/pancake hats. I've seen some photos of her in gorgeous hats, I can only ask where have they gone?
Princess Beatrice--she wouldn't have been too bad had she left the shiny, ill fitting jacket at home. I like the pumps, the belt is a typical look for her, but that hat is really awful and her hair just hanging there isn't helping her at all.
Princess Eugenie--well, once again, ugly ill fitting jacket. The dress isn't bad--its just too short and too beaded for daytime wear in the Royal Box. The jacket really, really doesn't work with the dress. It's the wrong color totally--she should have worn a dove gray jacket. At least Bea color-coordinated her outfit. In fact, the silhouette of Bea's outfit was very flattering-but the gloves were too much.
Zara--I appreciate the effort but her chest looks like it dropped to her waist. Not flattering.

Most look awful. From Eugenie to Zara, you have comic opera. Sophie looked ridiculous and Camilla, can't seem to find anything that doesn't have feathers on it. Lack of imagination, great exhibited here. The queen look smart.

I always dread Ascot...it reminds me of a costume party or Mad Hatter's Ball or something. And I am sorry but Philip Treacy might be a high society milliner but the guy designs as if he has mental issues....some of those hats??

I only ever enjoyed Ascot when the late Princess of Wales attended....she never seemed to be trying to get into the Guiness Book of Records with Ugliest Outfit at a Royal Event.

What a treat to come to the computer this morning and find so many photos. Thank you everyone who posted the links. :flowers:

Now the catty part :D.

I thought HM and Camilla both looked very nice. I liked HM's outfit. Sensible and smart and an attractive combination of colours with an interesting design. I love the pale mint colour on Camilla, and I like the feathery thingies she wears on her hats. As Janet said, she looks very regal, just how a Queen-in-waiting should look.

As for Beatrice, now I've had a good look at her outfit I think it's probably the best I've ever seen her look. I think she's starting to dress like a grown-up, and she looked very smart, with the nice black jacket rather than the pale ones we usually see on her. I think the black is far more flattering on her, and she carried the black down her body with the belt and shoes; I like to see the colour evenly distributed in an outfit that way. I particularly liked the longer skirt length. My only complaint is that I think she should have worn her hair up, but I suspect she thinks all that lovely red hair should be shown off at every given opportunity and worn long and loose. After all she's had her mother's example for so long. Otherwise I think Bea looked good.

Eugenie not so much, I'm afraid. My first thought was that she'd dressed quickly and forgotten her skirt.:rolleyes: The balance is all wrong. She needs the matching skirt and with that she'd have looked OK I think. And the one she is wearing is far too short for the occasion. I don't like the hat, but with the colour balanced properly with a matching skirt I could forgive the strange hat since it is the races.

Zara's outfit needed a black jacket I think. There was no black anywhere else to match the big blob of a black skirt. A jacket would have finished the outfit nicely, I think (and covered up the evidence that she desperately needs to have a proper bra fitting; having watched Trinny & Susannah's show about bras I know these things :D ). I like the fact she wore her hair up in a nice bun. Most appropriate. And I love the photos of her accosting her Uncle Charles with a kiss.

Sophie's hat didn't seem to match her dress, and I think she lost her jacket on the way somewhere because she obviously needed one with that bland dress to liven it up and draw in the green from the hat. Not a good look. I'm not a fan of those plate-with-squashed-bird headpieces she favours, but that sort of thing's OK at the races.

This is great fun, isn't it! Can't wait for tonight's episode.

I always dread Ascot...it reminds me of a costume party or Mad Hatter's Ball or something. And I am sorry but Philip Treacy might be a high society milliner but the guy designs as if he has mental issues....some of those hats??

The mans pure genious...:D His not just a milliner, but very much the artist.

And with every other person suffering some sort, or degree of, mental illness, I think that a rather unfortunate comment to have made.

Hats shouldn't be worn on the forehead. Ever.

Totally disagree. It merely depends on the style of hat and whether or not the wearer can successfully pull it off. That said, I'm not much taken by the "satelite dish" either.

And Sophie...someone get that woman a stylist. The 'frumpy mummy' needs some assistance I think. She has such potential!

:lol:Come on people. Did you think that Ascot was about horse racing or something? Mad hats is what the first day of Ascot is all about. :lol:

Live a little and laugh a lot. Eugenie, Beatice and Zara really got into the swing, looked a treat and were all having a ball. And that is what it's all about. :angel: :whistling: :ROFLMAO:

A lot of you have commented that Camilla is wearing a rather dull, though elegant outfit (without having used the same words) on Day 1 of Ascot. Whilst I can't really disagree with the point, I think there has been some thought behind this. She does not want the spotlight to be on her choice of dressing (unlike, dare I say, Diana!) Camilla probably will wear newer outfits to Ascot this year, just not day one. She (and her staff at Clarence House) probably relish the reputation she is acquiring as being a consummate recycler of clothing - she does not want to be seen as a big spender on clothes. I think she has worked hard on her image - always dressed in an elegant and expensive fashion, though not showy, and to be seen to be getting the best out of the money she spends on clothes and hats. That is why, as an example, she has worn her wedding dress (from the civil ceremony) at least 3-4 times since. Similarly, most clothes she wears to Ascot get recycled in subsequent years at Troopng of the Colour, Garter ceremonies etc. I hope more people recognise this quality, rather than view it negatively!

Last edited:
In my opinion all the royal ladies looked ghastly. That is except HM who looks wonderful for her age and much to my surprise Camilla, who I think looked very nice indeed.

Yesterday and todays hat for the Queen have been designed by Rachel Trevor Morgan

The BBC's fashion commentator said that his favourite Ascot outfit EVER was the Dovegrey tailcoat worn by Diana in 1988 so her is a reminder
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Day 2 a really windy day as even the Queen struggled with her hat
The Queen - looked wonderful in purple and the hat was really beautiful
Camilla -really nice hat what an improvement on her usual style really like today's outfit from the bit i can see
Princess Alexandra - standard outfit for Alexandra in white and green strips
Sophie - more grey it really is very boring and she is wearing that awful thing stuck to the side of her head that she wore at Peter's wedding - wonder why she choose not to go in a carriage i know she didnt last year because she was preganant
last year sophie wore both days a grey outfit and the same this year though yesterday she did manage a bit of green in her dish hat

Last edited:
Camilla looks lovely on Day 2, in her wonderful new dress and hat. She really seems to be going for green this year! I think this is exactly the size and style of hat that suits her - rather than what she wore to the Trooping this year, or the beret style of hats she has worn many a time in Scotland and what she wore to welcome the Sarkozy's

Last edited:
Queen of my House

If I look half as elegant in my eighties as Queen Elizabeth does--I will be thrilled. As for Camilla, I feel like she works with what she has--and the colors and styles, this time, worked. Criticism of teenagers--Beatrice and Eugenie--is really not appropriate. They'll find their way--it may take a while but let's give them a break.

yes that hat really suits Camilla i think much better choice that those silly "feathers" that she wears

Anne on Day One
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb...E72A99B41FC0DA41566D5A54F6E4B7&archiveid=5018
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb...E72A99B41FC0DA41566D5A54F6E4B7&archiveid=5018
standard and boring Anne as usual what charity shop did she get this one from
Sophie and Bea Day One
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Royal Box Day One
Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein Day One

Recycler of clothing not withstanding, I would say Camilla does not choose clothes that in anyway accentuate her frame. The hats for instance are always so over sized to me. especially since she never wears her hair any different. She has modest features and the hat always seems to cover her like she is trying to hide lol. Come on Camilla go bold!

On day 2..... HM looked marvelous, she not only knows how to dress, she just carries herself so regally, that she would look good in just about anything. I love the contrast of colors from day 1 to day 2. What a beautiful woman, I hope I only look half as good as she does when I am 80.
I really thought Camilla looked very pretty today, I loved the color and the fact that she had gray in her hat that matched Prince Charles. She may not be a real beauty but she seems to compliment Prince Charles and doesn't try to outshine him. I really think they look happy together.

Beatrice and Eugenie wore stunning creations! Good description. I was definitely stunned.

I liked Camilla's new blue ensemble but for me the winner was Princess Alexandra. Timelessly elegant in white and green. Gorgeous.

Anne looked like a bumb on day one. What ghastly attire. How unflattering (style wise) a woman she can be.

Last edited:
Sophie - more grey it really is very boring and she is wearing that awful thing stuck to the side of her head that she wore at Peter's wedding - wonder why she choose not to go in a carriage i know she didnt last year because she was preganant
last year sophie wore both days a grey outfit and the same this year though yesterday she did manage a bit of green in her dish hat

I actually thought she looked better today. Regardless of recycling. They have cut down the size of the carriage procession drastically over the years. Especially is there isn't enough important royals to fill the seats. So can't ride in a carriage by herself. Sophie also might have came late and then just slipped in, like Edward did yesterday.

Aaaaaaah something new at last!
-HM: Good color, it really suits her...lovely.
-DOC: Unusual color on her but it works. Far less boring than yesterday's outfit: well done !
-Sophie: Great improvement. Better fabric and nice color. The hat is not so bad too: it's fun and very Ascot spirit.

HM looked better today but the hat looked better when it wasn't pushed quite so far back.

Camilla much better, very pretty colour, although IMO the front was a little fussy. Loved the nod of feathers. :D

Sophie, not much improvement on Day 2 I'm afraid.

Duke of Marmalade
- Thank you, I put a wager on and you came in for me! :D

I LOVED Camilla's outfit for Day 2. She hit it right on the nose with that outfit and the hat....absolutely stunning!!! That shade of blue looks terrific on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom