The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Courtier

I must say that we are always commenting on the ladies attire but the Duke of Edinburgh looks smashing today. I love the combination of the different stripes. He looks terrific!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Carriage Procession DAY 4

Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Serene Highness

Question: is Ascot a royal 'must do' thing? Or has it been the decision of the Queen - because she likes horses, breeds them, races them - made it so? One doesn't see Charles and Camilla around much - and William and Kate not at all - so I am wondering, when Charles becomes King (and certainly William) might it be that there is no longer a royal presence, a royal box, at Ascot?

Thank you for the answer in advance.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Question: is Ascot a royal 'must do' thing? Or has it been the decision of the Queen - because she likes horses, breeds them, races them - made it so? One doesn't see Charles and Camilla around much - and William and Kate not at all - so I am wondering, when Charles becomes King (and certainly William) might it be that there is no longer a royal presence, a royal box, at Ascot?

Thank you for the answer in advance.
Well it is called Royal Ascot Royals have attended since 1711 when the event was founded by Queen Anne. The only times we haven't had a royal procession is when Queen Victoria didn't attend after the death of Prince Albert, ever since then we have.

I think Charles and William will attend more when Charles becomes King and William is a fully fledged royal. This is the most prestigious race meet in Europe at one of the most expensive grounds it would be silly to miss out on such an event that they could attend.

It is however not an annual engagement, but more of an annual event similar to The Order of The Garter ceremony of Trooping The Colour, it's happened so often it won't stop.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Courtier

I would hope that there is still a significant royal presence. Perhaps Anne will take the lead on hosting the Royal Box during Ascot week wth C&C and others coming 1-2 days schedules permitting.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Charles or William are as into horse racing as the Queen is. Camilla has always been a horse person so I'm sure she would go everyday when Charles is on the throne.

I wonder what'll happen to the Queen's stable of race horses when she dies? Will they go to Charles as a sovereign-to-sovereign transfer? I'm sure they would have a significant value. Maybe to Anne given her interest in racing? If Charles inherits his mothers horses I'd guess he'll try to keep it going and continue the tradition of having royal winners at Ascot.

Remember that Ascot is actually owned by the Crown Estate. So, technically, you could say the Queen owns the whole thing.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=EIIR;Remember that Ascot is actually owned by the Crown Estate. So, technically, you could say the Queen owns the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

its good to be Queen
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

You said it, Michelle. I'm pretty sure there's a couple of good golf courses in the area that the Crown owns too. So you've got Windsor Castle, the race course, golf courses, lots of beautiful parkland, all within easy distance of London. No wonder it's the Queen's favourite home!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

PIC
Royal Ascot 2012: Queen delighted as she gets first winner of week with Estimate | Mail Online
Old 06-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Aristocracy

Lovely picture of the Duke giving the Queen the award.

Evidently, this is the first time he's been the one to hand her the prize. After nearly 65 years, there are still firsts.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Nobility

I'm sure it's a happy moment that the Queen and DoE will remember for a long time.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Lovely picture of the Duke giving the Queen the award.

Evidently, this is the first time he's been the one to hand her the prize. After nearly 65 years, there are still firsts.

She's not even looking at the prize - she is just looking at him and is so so happy. Says everything about how she feels.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Courtier

How lovely for HM to have a win, and for Philip to present the prize! They look so happy together in these pictures
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post
What a lovely picture! I love the look that is shared between Her Majesty and Prince Philip. Says it all.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
After all the years of bestowing honors and awards to other people, it must have been so refreshing for HM to be on the receiving end herself. The fact that it was presented to her by her husband of nearly 65 years makes it so much sweeter and meaningful I'd think.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She's not even looking at the prize - she is just looking at him and is so so happy. Says everything about how she feels.
Yep. I noticed that, too. She was beaming at him. The look between them did say it all.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
After all the years of bestowing honors and awards to other people, it must have been so refreshing for HM to be on the receiving end herself. The fact that it was presented to her by her husband of nearly 65 years makes it so much sweeter and meaningful I'd think.
Oh, I completely agree with you. This will probably be a moment that will rank pretty high on her list of sentimental memories .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Aristocracy

Video of the Duke presenting the prize to the Queen:

A nice picture:

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0dnB9Ca...n+Elizabeth+II
Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great video , thanks for sharing
more pictures
Queen Elizabeth II - News, photos, topics, and quotes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator