Sophie and her lovely hat

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zprr4g.jpg

Her Majesty

http://i47.tinypic.com/29cl5qw.jpg

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
jury is out on the Duchess of Gloucester's dress til I see a better picture (but I dont think it is a rave) ...however, I love her hat!

I don't like it at all (not a fan of polka-dots) but I agree the hat looks nice.

I think Eugenie's dress is a misstep; with her curves she shouldn't wear a peplum style, it makes her hips look very wide.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sophie's outfit makes her look really dowdy. Just saw it in full as she presented a cup, it is awfully "mumsie". LOVE her hat though.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think Eugenie's dress is a misstep; with her curves she shouldn't wear a peplum style, it makes her hips look very wide.
I agree the peplum was an error in judgement...honestly, it looked as though her skirt got caught in her waistband and wasnt hanging properly - and I wanted someone to tell her, then I realized - oh it is supposed to be that way.

my fav Eurgenie moment at Ascot was last year when she wore the red McQueen dress and she got caught doing a little curtsy and a wave to her grandparents in the royal box.

Royal Ascot 2011: Princess Eugenie steals the show as she shows off her svelte figure in a stunning McQueen dress | Mail Online
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics from today, June 20, 2012:

** ppe gallery ** zimbio/gettyimages: Royal Ascot - Day Two **
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Aristocracy

i love it when princess anne wears a hat
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

- The Queen and Prince Philip
- Queen Elizabeth

- Queen Elizabeth and Princess Haya (a very graceful curtsey)
- Princess Haya

- The Countess of Wessex 1
- The Countess of Wessex 2
- The Countess of Wessex 3
- Princess Anne

- Viscountess Linley

Gallery from Daylife
Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Spletnik -Royal Ascot 2012 - Day 2
Tatler.ru - Royals Ascot I
Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

I read - here probably - that fascinators were no longer 'allowed' at Ascot. In the pictures you can see that most women are indeed wearing more traditional hats - but I thought I espied fascinator-like hattery on one or two in the crowd. What happens to the offenders? Who decides who are offending?

BTW one kicker photograph in the series shown in the article HERE They got the Queen's carriage perfectly lined up. Good composition.

Sorry to say, the Queen looks frumpy. Oh dear! It's like she had bad fabric.

Sophie looks like she's having a support-day problem. Her 'girls' are not perky enough for the dress darts. I'll be the one to say it.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I read - here probably - that fascinators were no longer 'allowed' at Ascot. In the pictures you can see that most women are indeed wearing more traditional hats - but I thought I espied fascinator-like hattery on one or two in the crowd. What happens to the offenders? Who decides who are offending?
Ascot has hired a special "fashion police" who make sure that all the attendees comply with the dress code. Those who do not are simply not allowed in.
I think the guidilene is that those in the Royal Enclosure must wear a hat that covers the 'crown of their head'. That means, for example, that Princess Haya's hat, while somewhat fascinator-like, doesn't break the rules.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

BTW one kicker photograph in the series shown in the article HERE They got the Queen's carriage perfectly lined up. Good composition.
The rules apply to those wishing to enter the royal enclosure which includes the parade ring. There are staff posted at the entrances and they can refuse entry.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I think the guidilene is that those in the Royal Enclosure must wear a hat that covers the 'crown of their head'.
Which explains some men wearing little bell-like structures on the 'crown of their heads' with Union Jack colors and patterns painted on them.

Who is making the guidelines? I assume the Queen?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Not the Queen, but Ascot Racecourse Management.

Men must wear top hats and ties (not cravats) and a female hat must have a minimum of a 4ins. base

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Sophie's outfit makes her look really dowdy. Just saw it in full as she presented a cup, it is awfully "mumsie". LOVE her hat though.
And the brooch is a knockout...
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not the Queen, but Ascot Racecourse Management.
Isn't that the same thing as saying the Queen?

Also, what would be the reason for so specifying? I don't like fascinators, but....
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Curtsey

Artemisia - I looked at the "graceful curtsey" picture. Does the queen bob back? It looks like she does in this picture, but I am thinking I have seen examples where she does not (for example, with children?) If she does this bob all the time it is quite impressive given her age!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Artemisia - I looked at the "graceful curtsey" picture. Does the queen bob back? It looks like she does in this picture, but I am thinking I have seen examples where she does not (for example, with children?) If she does this bob all the time it is quite impressive given her age!
It's the angle of the picture; the Queen was making a step forward towards the Princess, so it looked like she's making a small curtsey in return.
As a Queen Regnant, Queen Elizabeth doesn't curtsey to anyone at all, although she did her fair of curtseying when she was a "mere" Princess Elizabeth.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Also, what would be the reason for so specifying? I don't like fascinators, but....
I can only answer part of this - the Queen does not own the racecourse, it is privately owned and it is for the owners to determine the dress code for their events. There has been a lot of criticism in recent years that standards have fallen ( in line with the raising of hem lines IMO).

Here are the standards from the Racecourse

Ascot Racecourse : Dress*Code:*Royal*Ascot**

also this article from the DM highlights early on some of the examples of why there have been changes.

Royal Ascot 2012 dress code enforced by 'fashion police' as they hand out waistcoats and pashminas | Mail Online

Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
The Earl of Wessex is there too. He came down to the paddock with the Queen. Spotted Princess Alexandra and i thought i saw Lady Helen, but it may not have been her.
where do you watch that? is it aired on british tv?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger

Which explains some men wearing little bell-like structures on the 'crown of their heads' with Union Jack colors and patterns painted on them.

Who is making the guidelines? I assume the Queen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger

It's not the same as saying The Queen. As for the new rules you must wear a headpiece that is 4inches or 10 cm in diameter. Not just one that covers the crown of your head. You must also wear an outfit that is below the knee, above(only just) is allowed but frowned upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2012

where do you watch that? is it aired on british tv?
It's aired in BBC1 and 2 :)

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot