The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Come on people. Did you think that Ascot was about horse racing or something? Mad hats is what the first day of Ascot is all about.

Live a little and laugh a lot. Eugenie, Beatice and Zara really got into the swing, looked a treat and were all having a ball. And that is what it's all about.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

A lot of you have commented that Camilla is wearing a rather dull, though elegant outfit (without having used the same words) on Day 1 of Ascot. Whilst I can't really disagree with the point, I think there has been some thought behind this. She does not want the spotlight to be on her choice of dressing (unlike, dare I say, Diana!) Camilla probably will wear newer outfits to Ascot this year, just not day one. She (and her staff at Clarence House) probably relish the reputation she is acquiring as being a consummate recycler of clothing - she does not want to be seen as a big spender on clothes. I think she has worked hard on her image - always dressed in an elegant and expensive fashion, though not showy, and to be seen to be getting the best out of the money she spends on clothes and hats. That is why, as an example, she has worn her wedding dress (from the civil ceremony) at least 3-4 times since. Similarly, most clothes she wears to Ascot get recycled in subsequent years at Troopng of the Colour, Garter ceremonies etc. I hope more people recognise this quality, rather than view it negatively!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

In my opinion all the royal ladies looked ghastly. That is except HM who looks wonderful for her age and much to my surprise Camilla, who I think looked very nice indeed.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Yesterday and todays hat for the Queen have been designed by Rachel Trevor Morgan

The BBC's fashion commentator said that his favourite Ascot outfit EVER was the Dovegrey tailcoat worn by Diana in 1988 so her is a reminder
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Day 2 a really windy day as even the Queen struggled with her hat
The Queen - looked wonderful in purple and the hat was really beautiful
Camilla -really nice hat what an improvement on her usual style really like today's outfit from the bit i can see
Princess Alexandra - standard outfit for Alexandra in white and green strips
Sophie - more grey it really is very boring and she is wearing that awful thing stuck to the side of her head that she wore at Peter's wedding - wonder why she choose not to go in a carriage i know she didnt last year because she was preganant
last year sophie wore both days a grey outfit and the same this year though yesterday she did manage a bit of green in her dish hat

Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla looks lovely on Day 2, in her wonderful new dress and hat. She really seems to be going for green this year! I think this is exactly the size and style of hat that suits her - rather than what she wore to the Trooping this year, or the beret style of hats she has worn many a time in Scotland and what she wore to welcome the Sarkozy's
Old 06-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Queen of my House

If I look half as elegant in my eighties as Queen Elizabeth does--I will be thrilled. As for Camilla, I feel like she works with what she has--and the colors and styles, this time, worked. Criticism of teenagers--Beatrice and Eugenie--is really not appropriate. They'll find their way--it may take a while but let's give them a break.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

yes that hat really suits Camilla i think much better choice that those silly "feathers" that she wears

Anne on Day One
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/...archiveid=5018
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/...archiveid=5018
standard and boring Anne as usual what charity shop did she get this one from
Sophie and Bea Day One
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Royal Box Day One
Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein Day One

Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Recycler of clothing not withstanding, I would say Camilla does not choose clothes that in anyway accentuate her frame. The hats for instance are always so over sized to me. especially since she never wears her hair any different. She has modest features and the hat always seems to cover her like she is trying to hide lol. Come on Camilla go bold!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Beatrice and Eugenie triumph in the style stakes at Royal Ascot
Beatrice wore an Alexander McQueen outfit on day one
Eugenie wore a Collette Dinnigan outfit
Not exactly great publicity for the designer then
Zara choose a Ralph Lauren outfit
Officialy the Queen was in a buttermilk colour on day one

Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

On day 2..... HM looked marvelous, she not only knows how to dress, she just carries herself so regally, that she would look good in just about anything. I love the contrast of colors from day 1 to day 2. What a beautiful woman, I hope I only look half as good as she does when I am 80.
I really thought Camilla looked very pretty today, I loved the color and the fact that she had gray in her hat that matched Prince Charles. She may not be a real beauty but she seems to compliment Prince Charles and doesn't try to outshine him. I really think they look happy together.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Beatrice and Eugenie wore stunning creations! Good description. I was definitely stunned.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:03 PM

I liked Camilla's new blue ensemble but for me the winner was Princess Alexandra. Timelessly elegant in white and green. Gorgeous.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pics
Royal Ascot 2008 - Day 2 - Pictures - Zimbio
MediumPhoto
http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...%7c0&p=7&tag=1
Old 06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Anne looked like a bumb on day one. What ghastly attire. How unflattering (style wise) a woman she can be.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Sophie - more grey it really is very boring and she is wearing that awful thing stuck to the side of her head that she wore at Peter's wedding - wonder why she choose not to go in a carriage i know she didnt last year because she was preganant
last year sophie wore both days a grey outfit and the same this year though yesterday she did manage a bit of green in her dish hat
I actually thought she looked better today. Regardless of recycling. They have cut down the size of the carriage procession drastically over the years. Especially is there isn't enough important royals to fill the seats. So can't ride in a carriage by herself. Sophie also might have came late and then just slipped in, like Edward did yesterday.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Serene Highness

Aaaaaaah something new at last!
-HM: Good color, it really suits her...lovely.
-DOC: Unusual color on her but it works. Far less boring than yesterday's outfit: well done !
-Sophie: Great improvement. Better fabric and nice color. The hat is not so bad too: it's fun and very Ascot spirit.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

more from day 2
Picture details
Picture details

Princess Haya Bint al-Hussein of Jordan and Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler of Dubai
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected day 2
Picture details with the Queen on day 1

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

HM looked better today but the hat looked better when it wasn't pushed quite so far back.

Camilla much better, very pretty colour, although IMO the front was a little fussy. Loved the nod of feathers.

Sophie, not much improvement on Day 2 I'm afraid.

Duke of Marmalade
- Thank you, I put a wager on and you came in for me!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

I LOVED Camilla's outfit for Day 2. She hit it right on the nose with that outfit and the hat....absolutely stunning!!! That shade of blue looks terrific on her.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
You have got to be kidding! Those were designer outfits?????
Those too tight jackets which they are addicted to are designer creations?
No way!!!!
Poor Princess Anne - such a smashing figure and she chooses such awful clothes. Her blue hat must be inherited from the Queen Mum as it looks like the hats which she wore when she dressed casually in Scotland.

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot