Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the horse discussion - Black Caviar is a mare, 22 wins in a row is sensational, compared to Frankel's 11 (a colt). Black Caviar has won against male opposition more that once. I dont want to take anything away from Frankel, he's great horse, but to travel to Ascot from the other end of the world must be daunting for an animal and she still delivered, on an unknown track and not being used to soft ground. The jockey messed up, too, eased her up too early. And, as an owner, especially as an aussie owner, you really have to have guts to do what he did, possibly getting slandered by the pommies.

Nobody said Black Caviar would crush the opposition (apart from the media) but being bullish is part of the trade.

All of this is true. I am merely giving my impression, as someone who doesn't know a whole lot about horse racing, on Black Caviar during today's race. We don't see any Australian racing on TV here in the UK, so the vast majority of British punters only knew what we'd read about her in the press lately when she was described as light years ahead of every other horse. For whatever reason, whether it be jet lag, jockey error, or the horse got out of the wrong side of bed this morning, the impression given was of a good horse who didn't look a whole lot better than the other horses racing against them.

The owners were clearly coming here to make a statement. Not that their horse is a bit better than the others in the field, but that she's the best racehorse the world has ever seen. The racing community in the UK already knew about Black Caviar; this was about showing the regular punters in the UK/Europe what she could do. My family and I happened to watch the race together today and none of us went away thinking 'I was privileged to see that horse'. Just that it was a bit better than the others.

Frankel was imperious and people were literally gobsmacked about how dominant he was in the Queen Anne. Sometimes you just have to say, that horse is in a league of its own.

All of this is true. I am merely giving my impression, as someone who doesn't know a whole lot about horse racing, on Black Caviar during today's race. We don't see any Australian racing on TV here in the UK, so the vast majority of British punters only knew what we'd read about her in the press lately when she was described as light years ahead of every other horse. For whatever reason, whether it be jet lag, jockey error, or the horse got out of the wrong side of bed this morning, the impression given was of a good horse who didn't look a whole lot better than the other horses racing against them.

The owners were clearly coming here to make a statement. Not that their horse is a bit better than the others in the field, but that she's the best racehorse the world has ever seen. The racing community in the UK already knew about Black Caviar; this was about showing the regular punters in the UK/Europe what she could do. My family and I happened to watch the race together today and none of us went away thinking 'I was privileged to see that horse'. Just that it was a bit better than the others.

Frankel was imperious and people were literally gobsmacked about how dominant he was in the Queen Anne. Sometimes you just have to say, that horse is in a league of its own.

I think the whole Black Caviar stunt was a deal, Royal Ascot payed for her to come over to have some positive headlines. These days, horseracing is in desperate need for positive headlines after the whip discussion mess, corrupt or drugged jockeys.
Frankel is a great horse, the best miler in the world, but a bit boring. He always wins by huge lengths, his trainer Henry Cecil doesnt talk much because he burnt his fingers with the media, therefore the aussie superstar just came right, with a team around her that is more than happy to play the media game.
Black caviar arrived in a wet suit, and everything around her was hyped in order to get attention. Aussie racing is very different from English racing in terms of rules or opposition, therefore kudos to the team that they did come and to the horse that she is so adaptable. A failure would have cost a lot of money as an unbeaten record does count when it comes to breeding fees.
Under "normal" circumstances, the owners would have taken her out a long time ago in order to make money and breed, I am sure that this season is Frankel's last season, the aim will be to get him to stud unbeaten and in one piece.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to say, that horse is in a league of its own.

Indeed, one very boring league. Nobody is going to compete with Frankel, nobody can match his speed, so what's the point in trying? Why race with Frankel when you won't win?

One thing that bugs me, I feel sorry for Excelebration that horse has come second to Frankel in every race they have ran and he is one stunner off a horse! If Frankel didn't exist we'd be talking about this horse. Willie Carson said something interesting before Frankel ran, he said that when Frankel passes we will understand why he is so good because he cannot be this good without something 'wrong' with him.

I know this is WAY OT, but I've been a follower of horse racing for over 40 years and know a bit of what I speak. I posted this about Black Caviar on a racing site earlier today:

"Let's see: Six years old. First time on a plane. Shipped half way around the world, going from what would normally be her winter rest (she has her winter coat!) to summer racing at the most prestigious meet in the world. Soft ground due to torrential rain - softer than she's ever raced on before. Uphill undulating track when she's used to a firm, flat, closed oval. Gave several pounds to the runners up - both 3year olds. Jockey error after she cleared the field. Had to restart from her normal "warm down". Still won. Sounds like a champion to me."

Again, sorry for the OT, but I can't stand bashing of a true champion. Frankel is a miraculous miler, maybe more, we shall see, and Black Caviar is one of the finest sprinters ever. Apples and oranges. Both champions.

Last edited:
Her Majesty the Queen met with the jockey and owner of the Australian horse Black Caviar after its record 22nd win from 22nd start today at Royal Ascot, which is very exciting as an Australian in this Diamond Jubilee year.

Caviar still queen despite Ascot scare - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I know absolutely nothing about horse racing - like most Australians I only follow the Melbourne Cup every November which is the biggest race here - so I can't comment on how good it is apart from saying 22 undefeated runs is a pretty good record. It was a close finish but she still won. You only have to look at the crowds watching in Melbourne (which would have been absolutely freezing at this time of year) to know that Australians certainly view her as a racing great.

Last edited:
Black Caviar definitely wasn't at her best at Ascot. I have seen her run many times in Australia and she has left the others for dead and barely broken out of a canter. Not sure why she didn't run well but I suspect the conditions didn't suit her (heavier track than she is used to), she had to travel to the other side of the world and the jockey definitely did misread the situation.

In the jockey's defense though I believe he is under instructions just to win the race and not push her too hard. I think this is what he did but he just misjudged it this time in unfamiliar surroundings. Add to that the fact that she reacted differently under these different conditions and slowed down a lot quicker than usual and the whole thing was nearly botched :ohmy:

I think the whole Black Caviar stunt was a deal, Royal Ascot payed for her to come over to have some positive headlines. These days, horseracing is in desperate need for positive headlines after the whip discussion mess, corrupt or drugged jockeys.
Frankel is a great horse, the best miler in the world, but a bit boring. He always wins by huge lengths, his trainer Henry Cecil doesnt talk much because he burnt his fingers with the media, therefore the aussie superstar just came right, with a team around her that is more than happy to play the media game.

It wasn't a stunt and Ascot didn't pay for her to go over there. It was said time and again here that she had nothing to gain by going to Ascot other than prestige. The costs were borne by the connections and they didn't do it for the money. The trainer was never keen for her to go but the owners wanted her to run at Ascot so she did. It would have been more profitable to keep running her in Australia.

We have had lots of horses from the UK run in Autralia over the years especially in the Melbourne Cup, some have been successful and some have failed miserably. It's a risk and not every horse copes well with the trip or the different conditions.

This was the first time I had seen Frankel run however, WOW!!! What a horse!!!!! Would love to see him race down here :)

Did we all see Peter and Autumn Phillips in the royal enclosure along with Dave Clark? I don't know if they were in the procession as i was at work! :)

Did we all see Peter and Autumn Phillips in the royal enclosure along with Dave Clark? I don't know if they were in the procession as i was at work! :)

It does look like they were there. Would love to see more pics of the foursome (Autumn, Peter, Dave and Beatrice), but so far we might have to do with picture published in the telegraph that was posted in the Order of Precedence thread by wbenson. Please disregard the article.

The Queen tells the Duchess of Cambridge to curtsy to the 'blood princesses’ - Telegraph

Indeed, one very boring league. Nobody is going to compete with Frankel, nobody can match his speed, so what's the point in trying? Why race with Frankel when you won't win?

One thing that bugs me, I feel sorry for Excelebration that horse has come second to Frankel in every race they have ran and he is one stunner off a horse! If Frankel didn't exist we'd be talking about this horse. Willie Carson said something interesting before Frankel ran, he said that when Frankel passes we will understand why he is so good because he cannot be this good without something 'wrong' with him.

The fact that no horse can compare with Frankel isn't Frankel's fault. His races may not be nail biters, but that doesn't make him a boring horse or his races uninteresting. No doubt his competitors are more motivated, wanting to be the one who finally beat Frankel.

The Spanish football team beat just about every team they come across easily, but that doesn't make their matches boring. People watch them because they are so good; people understand that they're one of the best teams of all time and watch their matches for that reason. Watching a truly dominant team or sportsperson, who have essentially re-defined the limits of their sport, is a privilege.

:previous:
Wasn't the Diamond Jubilee Stakes the only one Black Caviar actually took part it? At least, it was certainly her only target one.
All in all, considering her injuries, the jockey's error, difficult travel and other issues, Black Caviar's victory was not only deserved, but quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:
Yes Black Caviar flew to the UK to run that single race and is already preparing to return home. She is now in quarantine.

There was a possibility that she might run in a race at Newmarket as well but it was dependent on how things went at Ascot.

Royal Ascot 2013

G'day there. We are looking at being in London on the 18th of June and the kids are wanting to see the Queen. They can't understand why they can't see her at the Palace. I notice that Ascot races start on the 18th (our last day) and was considering Silver ring tickets to the races. Does anyone know what sort of view we would get of the parade (horse and carriage not parade ring ;) )?
I have read that the Queen actually travels by H & C from the palace. Maybe they is a vantage point on the way we could set up at? I assume thought that this would be very crowded and due to security a bit of a nightmare. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

She does arrive by carriage, but she leaves Windsor Castle by car and transfers to the carriage close to the racecourse. I'm not sure if any of the area in between is open to the public.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just need to hope now someone has actually been to the race meeting and can assist.

Below is a video to the Queen's carriage procession from last Day 4 of Royal Ascot last June. If I interpret the video correctly, the royal procession does pass by the Silver Ring lawn, so you potentially could get a faraway glimpse of the Queen and her party.
Royal Ascot Day 4 - Carriage Procession - June 2012 - YouTube

This link has a link to a map of the racecourse at Royal Ascot.
Ascot Racecourse : royal ascot    
As you can see, the Silver Ring lawn is next to the Grandstand Admission area. If I am correct in interpreting the video, the royal procession passes by the Silver Ring, Grandstand Admission area, then past the Royal Enclosure lawn, before passing underneath the Grandstand. Then the procession takes a turn around the parade ring.

At this link, there is a description of the types of tickets available for Royal Ascot. The Silver Ring is described as,
"Silver Ring
With a less formal atmosphere, the Silver Ring at Royal Ascot is a separate admission area that does not provide access to the Parade Ring or the main Grandstand. The Silver Ring still provides an excellent position to watch the Royal Procession and the racing action. There are a variety of places to eat, drink and place a bet.

Other highlights of a Silver Ring ticket include:
• Over 2,000 free seats available from which to view the racing
• Big Screen TVs
• Live music entertainment each day
• Lawned area with many bars and food outlets including a Pizza Express."

Also, please see the discussion at this link on the differences between the Grandstand and Silver Ring, particularly the comments made by "jennywales."

So I think there is a chance your family could catch a glimpse of the royal procession that day, but you will be competing with many other people (and potentially umbrellas if it's raining).

G'day there. We are looking at being in London on the 18th of June and the kids are wanting to see the Queen. They can't understand why they can't see her at the Palace. I notice that Ascot races start on the 18th (our last day) and was considering Silver ring tickets to the races. Does anyone know what sort of view we would get of the parade (horse and carriage not parade ring ;) )?
I have read that the Queen actually travels by H & C from the palace. Maybe they is a vantage point on the way we could set up at? I assume thought that this would be very crowded and due to security a bit of a nightmare. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome, I see you're new here. :)

Have you tried viewing Royal Ascot's website? They should have lots of information for you. Here's the link: http://www.ascot.co.uk/?page=royal_ascot

Very pretty and well-made video,I was especially impressed by the creative hats! Does anyone know who designed the hats in the video?

I completely understand the regulations and strict dress code-very important for such a prestigious event,but I don´t understand why they ban fascinators?
To me fascinators are also a glamourous hat-wear and some are more artistic than a simple hat!
For ladies with a small hat or young girls I find fascinators more suitable than hats, but who knows what lead the organising team to decide to issue a "no-fascinators" law?

Another video with glamourous hats about the Ascot campaign:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYCgeNFdUkg

Last edited:
Aren´t they contradicting themselves? The Duchess of Cambridge appears mainly with fascinators ;) I wish she would switch to real hats.

Catherine's hats are bigger than fascinators and smaller than actual hats. She wouldn't get passed with her dainty little circle things she wears.

Royal Ascot is just a week away, unfortunately horse racing has been dealt a blow this morning;

BBC Sport - Sir Henry Cecil: Legendary trainer dies aged 70

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1h
The Queen's representative at Royal Ascot has paid tribute to trainer Sir Henry Cecil, who died this morning aged 70 from stomach cancer

Johnny Weatherby, the Queen's representative at Ascot: "It is very sad to hear of the loss of Sir Henry Cecil this morning."

He has been an intrinsic part of racing and Royal Ascot for the whole of his career."

Sir Henry Cecil obituary | Sport | The Guardian

Sir Henry Cecil dies after cancer battle | Mail Online

I am a big fan of horse racing and he was a fantastic trainer.

Sir Henry Cecil

Just heard on the news about this, very sad to hear and so close to Ascot. Horse racing has lost a great man, but he not doubt leaves a legacy behind. :)

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 7m
There'll be a spare seat in the Queen's carriage at Ascot today in the absence of Prince Philip. Charles and Camilla will share her carriage

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
Prince Andrew, his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie, the Michaels, the Linleys, Tim and Lady Helen Taylor are in the carriage procession too.

Will be so odd to see the spare seat beside the Queen, but nice that it hasn't been filled by anybody else.

Looking forward to seeing the carriage procession and love to see the Linley's and the Taylor's in the carriages. :D

Will be so odd to see the spare seat beside the Queen, but nice that it hasn't been filled by anybody else.

Looking forward to seeing the carriage procession and love to see the Linley's and the Taylor's in the carriages. :D

Well there 'll be a spare seat INSIDE the carriage but i guess we 'll see Camilla beside the Queen in the same configuratin seen last year and yesterday (aka the Queen alone is invited to seat in her son's carriage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom