The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
I thought Her Majesty looked great, maybe the younger generation can learn something from her because I don't think any of them looked good. Zara is beautiful but I didn't like this years outfit.
Like I've said before --- the Queen in the last few years seems to be having some fun with fashion. For her age, she looks wonderful. She has always had a gorgeous complexion, is fit and healthy. To look that good at 82 is remarkable.
Camilla looks perfect. Her clothes look very expensive and appropriate for a woman her age. Big improvement over Trooping the Colour and Garter Ceremony. She looks very good in soft pastels.
Sophie --- a big NO. Dress not flattering and hat --- can she see?
I've already spoken about the Bea and Eugenie horror show ---

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

-HM and DOC: i agree with some comments: appropriate that's all. Pretty and fresh though. Maybe they 'll be more adventurous for the Ladies' day. Love Camilla's brooch from Queen Mum.
-Sophie: no particular comments. Not a great fan of the mini UFO hat, the green color is so so.
-Speaking of adventurous choice, Zara looks good IMO: it's young and fun
-Bea and Eugenie. Bah as usual i think their outfit come from some cheap TV show sets.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Eugenie skirts close to the wind at superstrict Royal Ascot with her risque hemline | Mail Online

Eugenie - Pretty colours, pretty awful outfit
Beatrice - Just awful
HM - Boring but smart
Sophie - Oh well, Better look next time (are you receiving me, over)
Camilla - Disappointing, everyone gets a new outfit for Ascot.
Zara - Very sassy

All IMO
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Thank you for the great pictures guys. Its nice to see the royal family interacting in such warm and "normal" way.
However i think the comments by some people in this forum on what the royal ladies, especially Bea and Eugenie, are wearing are unnecesarily negative and "catty". I understand there is a fashion section to the message boards. I feel the comments are unhelpful and unnecesary and are not productive in any way.
These few comemtents are making me not want to read and take part in these forums as to be honest, in my opinion, they are becoming boring and just mean spirited.

But thats all just my opinion.

Thanks for the pictures though, very lovely.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Great pics, thank you all I like the pics of Bea and
Eugenie in the Royal box, making those funny faces, but my
favourite pics are those of Charles hugging Zara, what a
rare and private - and not to forget funny - moment .
Old 06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Zara looks fantastic!! I liked Beatrice's outfit, and I thought that Eugenie's dress was very pretty but could have done with a different jacket and hat.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the pictures I have enjoyed looking at them. Zara should have chosen a different hat. As for Eugenie and Beatrice they are young and enjoying trying different looks. Better now than when they are 40 I say.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Her Majesty looked great - unfortunately her horse did not win.

Zara - Another poster called it "sassy", true, I really liked it. It suits her. However she gave an interview to Clare Balding and could not finish one sentence, presented herself like a moron. I'd expect a royal, especially Zara who is used to TV etc, to be a bit more professional. Yes this whole Toytown thing was very disappointing but time to get over it and give an appropriate comment instead of stuttering "I don't know ... I don't know what to say". If so, don't agree to do a TV interview.

Eugenie & Bea - OMG. First time at Ascot and already wearing such ugly outfits. Even the BBC's fashion expert did not know what to say at first, of course he had to stay polite therefore he said "this (hair) or this (hat) or this (dress) does not do any favours" - Bottom line: They looked hideous.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Zara but I don't like her outfit. She look so big in this. What happen with her bra?! Her dress has to big belt as for her. Hat great.

Eugenie's hat disaster. But that's Ascot. Skirt nice but too short. I've hope that next time will be better.

Batrice ...black and white young lady.

Camilla's hat again what she show us before. she or Charles should buy her few new has and headwears.

HM is HM...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

According to the Daily Mail the Queen has invited Princess Michael's children to host a table at Ascot on Saturday so even if they don't ride in a carraige we might see them then.

Kate refuses the Queen’s offer to host own table at Royal Ascot ...because she doesn’t want to be seen as William’s official stand-in | Mail Online
Old 06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Personally I loved the hats worn by Eugenie and Zara. I thought they were stunning and very elegant.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

the Queen - looked nice not a new outfit as i believe she wore it in Uganda but i really the hat that shape really suits her face
Camilla - she brought out the tree hat after Saturday's trooping the colour hedge/bird nest! liked the colour of the coat though the apple green is nice i believe the coat part of the outfit was new as there appeared to a trim at the hem but id need to have a closer image
Sophie - what is her obession with those dishes on her head and the dress was awful as it really didnt flatter her post-maternity figure that well
Zara - normally she is quite outragous and daring with her choice but today she was covered-up and i though quite nice not a big fan of the hat as it has a bit big and too much one-sided
what were the York girls thinking - they really are both a fashion disaster - nice to see them in the procession makes me wonder why they couldnt attend on saturday for trooping the colour or on monday for the garter yet went to polo on sunday!!!
Beatrice - awful, poorly fitted made her look huge especially by placing a black band around her waist which is her biggest part and she should not draw attention to that problem area. the material looked cheap and the P Treacy hat was awful and placed far too far forward on her head and her hair down was a big mistake
Eugenie - dire choice of hat, far too short a dress, cheap material of jacket although i like the colour as it brightened the look up, hair was nice up and away from her face but overall a really poor choice

i would image that Philip Treacy designed all the hats bar the Queens and as many have criticised Zara, Bea and Eugenie for there hat selection and im not a huge fan of the "tree" look from Camilla i really doesnt say alot for her talent or taste

Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

any pictures yet of Anne i belive she was there but didnt go in the procession - wonder which decade she recycled her outfit form this time!!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Nobility

I wonder if the Royals place bets on the races? Even if its just a small amount. Though i don't suppose we'll ever know. What do others think?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

I don't even know where to start--isn't that horrible? HM looks wonderful, as usual. I do love her hat collection. She always puts a smile on my face.
The Duchess--yes, it's an outfit we've seen before, a hat we know, but honestly, she looks wonderful. She's wearing all those pearls, a classic brooch, earrings--she looks so regal--like a Queen in waiting--which is the look to go for.
The Countess of Wessex--I do like Sophie--I think she's a lovely lady--but that brooch is really not working with that outfit, and I am tired of these saucer/pancake hats. I've seen some photos of her in gorgeous hats, I can only ask where have they gone?
Princess Beatrice--she wouldn't have been too bad had she left the shiny, ill fitting jacket at home. I like the pumps, the belt is a typical look for her, but that hat is really awful and her hair just hanging there isn't helping her at all.
Princess Eugenie--well, once again, ugly ill fitting jacket. The dress isn't bad--its just too short and too beaded for daytime wear in the Royal Box. The jacket really, really doesn't work with the dress. It's the wrong color totally--she should have worn a dove gray jacket. At least Bea color-coordinated her outfit. In fact, the silhouette of Bea's outfit was very flattering-but the gloves were too much.
Zara--I appreciate the effort but her chest looks like it dropped to her waist. Not flattering.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Most look awful. From Eugenie to Zara, you have comic opera. Sophie looked ridiculous and Camilla, can't seem to find anything that doesn't have feathers on it. Lack of imagination, great exhibited here. The queen look smart.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I always dread Ascot...it reminds me of a costume party or Mad Hatter's Ball or something. And I am sorry but Philip Treacy might be a high society milliner but the guy designs as if he has mental issues....some of those hats??

I only ever enjoyed Ascot when the late Princess of Wales attended....she never seemed to be trying to get into the Guiness Book of Records with Ugliest Outfit at a Royal Event.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a treat to come to the computer this morning and find so many photos. Thank you everyone who posted the links.

Now the catty part .

I thought HM and Camilla both looked very nice. I liked HM's outfit. Sensible and smart and an attractive combination of colours with an interesting design. I love the pale mint colour on Camilla, and I like the feathery thingies she wears on her hats. As Janet said, she looks very regal, just how a Queen-in-waiting should look.

As for Beatrice, now I've had a good look at her outfit I think it's probably the best I've ever seen her look. I think she's starting to dress like a grown-up, and she looked very smart, with the nice black jacket rather than the pale ones we usually see on her. I think the black is far more flattering on her, and she carried the black down her body with the belt and shoes; I like to see the colour evenly distributed in an outfit that way. I particularly liked the longer skirt length. My only complaint is that I think she should have worn her hair up, but I suspect she thinks all that lovely red hair should be shown off at every given opportunity and worn long and loose. After all she's had her mother's example for so long. Otherwise I think Bea looked good.

Eugenie not so much, I'm afraid. My first thought was that she'd dressed quickly and forgotten her skirt. The balance is all wrong. She needs the matching skirt and with that she'd have looked OK I think. And the one she is wearing is far too short for the occasion. I don't like the hat, but with the colour balanced properly with a matching skirt I could forgive the strange hat since it is the races.

Zara's outfit needed a black jacket I think. There was no black anywhere else to match the big blob of a black skirt. A jacket would have finished the outfit nicely, I think (and covered up the evidence that she desperately needs to have a proper bra fitting; having watched Trinny & Susannah's show about bras I know these things ). I like the fact she wore her hair up in a nice bun. Most appropriate. And I love the photos of her accosting her Uncle Charles with a kiss.

Sophie's hat didn't seem to match her dress, and I think she lost her jacket on the way somewhere because she obviously needed one with that bland dress to liven it up and draw in the green from the hat. Not a good look. I'm not a fan of those plate-with-squashed-bird headpieces she favours, but that sort of thing's OK at the races.

This is great fun, isn't it! Can't wait for tonight's episode.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

Hats shouldn't be worn on the forehead. Ever.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I always dread Ascot...it reminds me of a costume party or Mad Hatter's Ball or something. And I am sorry but Philip Treacy might be a high society milliner but the guy designs as if he has mental issues....some of those hats??
The mans pure genious... His not just a milliner, but very much the artist.

And with every other person suffering some sort, or degree of, mental illness, I think that a rather unfortunate comment to have made.

Quote:
Hats shouldn't be worn on the forehead. Ever.
Totally disagree. It merely depends on the style of hat and whether or not the wearer can successfully pull it off. That said, I'm not much taken by the "satelite dish" either.

And Sophie...someone get that woman a stylist. The 'frumpy mummy' needs some assistance I think. She has such potential!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot