Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, gossip does have to arise from something - but sometimes those are things like meanspiritedness and/or jealousy. The Wessexes have had to put up with some unpleasant gossip themselves over the years (as have most royals), and once some kind of gossip starts making the rounds, it can really stick.

But does it? Sometimes gossip is woven from whole cloth. It doesn't need to be grounded in anything more than spitefulness and the ever ready knowledge that people are more inclined to believe the worst rather than the best. :sad:

I agree with the whole of what you say. Very astute. :flowers:

The Earl and Countess Spencer attended Ascot too. More family members on show. Blue-blooded Charles Spencer was able to attend without rising any haunches. I hope this can be a template for all future and current in-laws. The more the merrier, regardless of birth station.

Exactly so. :sad: The double standard is very clear. :ermm:

The tabloid created lies which play to class snobbery about the Middletons 'urging their daughter to be with William' are nonsense IMO. I doubt that they somehow bribed St. Sal to assign their daughter to the same hall. More telling Catherine had a boyfriend at St. Andrews - hardly convenient if your plan is to ensnare the future king. There were hundreds of pretty girls at St. Andrews, many also in St. Sal and/or majoring in Art History. There was a friendship that became more, the Middleton's welcomed William just as they appear to have welcomed Pippa's bfs and James' gf.

I agree overall. :flowers: But I also do not think it amiss that many decided to attend St Andrews that year because of William's presence. Everyone was 'social climbing' that year by certain standards.

Of course I judge inappropriate social climbing/clinging by Sarah and IMO the Middletons are a class act by comparison.

Sadly, I may agree with you here just a tiny bit regarding 'class act', though I think Sarah is just too outside of very prescribed markers for a lot of reasons. She would gasp for air to be like the Middletons. She's beyond 'class', she's her own domain, and I mean that in the best way. She just does not fit in the mold in any way and for that reason I really do like her. I know she has suffered for all her sins, for her wildness. She always has to be brave for so many reasons that are often self-chosen, but she always rises. Bravo! It's interesting to consider that were she a man the perception/acceptamce of her would be very different. JMO.

Last edited:
I won't click on that tomfoolery. But going by the headline it seems to involve tantrums and intrigue.

I did wonder why Beatrice was sitting in the first carriage instead of her assigned one. I'm sure the real explanation is a lot more mundane.

It's an old story really. The battle of relevance in that family. Andrew wanting to be in the full time fold, including his daughter who supposedly wants to play full time princess, versus his brother Charles' idea of a small working royal family. Himself and his sons only of course.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the Queen is no more. Andrew is running out of time if the stories are true (I suspect there must be some truth to it). The fur will really fly then. :D

I don't think Andrew would bother waging that war at Ascot, a rather innocuous event. His armory would be better served at getting Beatrice to accompany him to all high-profile diplomatic events.

Also, I've seen on some other sites people talking about how Sarah's presence at Ascot (her first since 1991) means things are all hunky-dory between her and the BRF, or how this means a Princess Beatrice engagement is in the offing.

I think people are making too much of Sarah's attendance this year. Lest we forget, last year Prince Andrew brought his then casual girlfriend Dara Tomanovich to the Royal Box at Ascot. Princess Anne also always brings her ex-boyfriend Andrew Parker-Bowles to the event. Princess Eugenie brought her bf Jack Brooksbank in 2011, even though they'd only been together a year at that point. I don't think the royal family sees Ascot as the paragon of exclusivity.

Speaking of rumours! Hehehe!

GIRL ABOUT TOWN: My rumours and riders from Ascot... Did Andrew pull rank to move Beatrice up order? * | Daily Mail Online

I won't click on that tomfoolery. But going by the headline it seems to involve tantrums and intrigue.

I did wonder why Beatrice was sitting in the first carriage instead of her assigned one. I'm sure the real explanation is a lot more mundane.
Oh dear, no Windsors of day 5 to time to trawl for sniping and intrigue. Let's be honest here, the Daily Mail has the most gorgeous photos around, but their articles are often maliciouse lies, pure invention or trawled from the gutter for gossip!

However, I didn't expect to read posts castigating others about the status of the Middletons or the Rhys-Joneses. Can't we leave all that to the Daily Mail too?

Also, I've seen on some other sites people talking about how Sarah's presence at Ascot (her first since 1991) means things are all hunky-dory between her and the BRF, or how this means a Princess Beatrice engagement is in the offing.

That would be lovely, except where was the prospective bridegroom? :bb:

Dave was there yakking it up with Sarah. There are some pictures of the two of them howling with laughter.

GIRL ABOUT TOWN: My rumours and riders from Ascot... Did Andrew pull rank to move Beatrice up order?   | Daily Mail Online

I was surprised to see Princess Beatrice sitting with the Queen in the first carriage of the Royal procession on Ladies Day.
Ascot had released the ‘Carriage List’ an hour before and it clearly stated that Beatrice, 26, would be in the second carriage next to her sister Eugenie, 25.
Beatrice’s father, the Duke of York, was due to be sitting opposite his mother and next to Edward Young, the Queen’s deputy private secretary.

Of course it could be rubbish, but it does answer how the tv commentators can name even the more obscure people riding in every carriage!

The Racing authorities at Ascot must be PRAYING for the Cambridges to begin to attend the Royal meet.. otherwise [after the next reign], the future looks rather bleak...Without the annual presence of the royal family, what remains of the social 'cachet' of attending would be gone...

I'm sure the authorities are probably quite happy that the Queen, Prince Philip, Princess Anne and her children, Prince Andrew and his daughters and The Wessex's attend pretty much every year. Charles and Camilla attend less regualry but will almost certainly continue the tradition attending once Charles becomes King and then I suspect we will see the Cambridge's attend more frequently too.

Why W&K don't attend royal Ascot? I mean, not this years, but in general... i haven't seen much of them in the previous years... It seems they are the only one missing, and that's strange

They attend other race events and the Middletons attend Ascot in 2012 so maybe they just don't want to attend at the moment. Also its always around the same time at William's birthday so maybe while they can get away with not attending they won't. I'm sure in time they will attend.

Last edited:
The Racing authorities at Ascot must be PRAYING for the Cambridges to begin to attend the Royal meet.. otherwise [after the next reign], the future looks rather bleak...Without the annual presence of the royal family, what remains of the social 'cachet' of attending would be gone...

Is there any 'cachet' anyway? The way most people look, sprawling on the lawn and dressed rather freakishly...it doesn't look very classy anymore.

Ironically haven't most race meetings tried to encourage a more relaxed, informal, family atmosphere. I think all of them want to avoid the pictures of ill dressed men and women falling over drunk but actually also don't want to be seen as something too upper class and posh, there's not alot of money in that.

Is there any 'cachet' anyway? The way most people look, sprawling on the lawn and dressed rather freakishly...it doesn't look very classy anymore.

Indeed. Apart from the royals, it seems largely like a bit of a freakshow costume contest for many. I also remember being in a train station in London about five years ago, and seeing groups of people who were clearly returning from Royal Ascot. It was a rather pathetic looking crowd; a bit depressing.

Why W&K don't attend royal Ascot? I mean, not this years, but in general... i haven't seen much of them in the previous years... It seems they are the only one missing, and that's strange

It is strange that they don't attend. It's never explained why they don't attend Royal Ascot. Harry only started attending last year. They attend other races once in a while, but for some reason the Cambridge's don't attend Royal Ascot. Perhaps next year will be their first time attending the meeting. Then again, I said the same thing last year.

Frankly I'd be embarrassed to be seen at Royal Ascot. It long ago lost its lustre. Its only the Queen who attends ever day and after HM passes I don't think we'll see many royals there.

Its not a priority for Charles and the Cambridges don't go at all.

Last edited:
It is strange that they don't attend. It's never explained why they don't attend Royal Ascot. Harry only started attending last year. They attend other races once in a while, but for some reason the Cambridge's don't attend Royal Ascot. Perhaps next year will be their first time attending the meeting. Then again, I said the same thing last year.

Didn't they attend in 2011, just after they got married? Or am I mistaken? I think it is indeed very odd since even the (no offence for the term) "minor" royals attend...
They don't have to attend every day but surely just turning up for one day would make no harm? Don't know...

Frankly I'd be embarrassed to be seen at Royal Ascot. It long ago lost its lustre. Its only the Queen who attends ever day and after HM passes I don't think we'll see many royals there.

Same with you. I think after the HM passes many things changed and not only to the Royal Ascot.:ermm:

Perhaps the Cambridges just aren't horse racing enthusiasts and that kind of an outing doesn't really appeal to them. Also, they've got so much other things going on their lives with a new baby, a toddler and William's job with EAAA. Its not like Ascot is really a required duty for the members of the Royal Family to attend. We know the Queen is an avid horse race fan and Ascot is probably something that she really looks forward to every year.

Up in last year, William was still doing his SAR job in Wales, he would have taken off for trooping and garter day right before ascot, he probably had to return to work. It is a similar situation this year with his new job probably had to go back to training.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think we all know that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have their hands full with two children, but lets face it, there's nothing stopping them from attending Royal Ascot. It may be they just don't like attending. Or it may not have crossed their minds to attend. William and Catherine do attend the races once in a while, so the interest is there. It's just for some odd and unexplained reason, they don't attend Royal Ascot.

Perhaps each successive generation of royalty has its own particular 'hobby' I don't recall that either of the Queen's immediate predecessors was a racing/horses enthusiast, although I could be totally wrong. Perhaps the Sport of Kings will lie fallow until another generation or two roll around. Charles has his gardening and his soap and cheese sales; perhaps William will stop riding ponies and go to see them run instead. And George and Charlotte will collect stamps.

I believe where Elizabeth got her 'bug' was from her father, King George. It's said he was a racing fan and kept a stable of racing horses.

LaRae

I have to agree here. :ermm: While I'm a fan of the races and do my fair share of attending, what I see 'between the lines' (in the background of those carefully and tightly cropped pictures) does not look appealing. If you look closely at all the pictures of royals they are basically doing a 'walk-about' photo op. No real socializing is taking place, just standing about.

I suspect the royals that do attend do so in deference to the Queen, to keep her company around her racing passion. :flowers:

Tiggersk8 I've looked for an update on Capel Path but so far can't find anything since yesterday when they said he was resting comfortably at the vet

I hope Zara gets in gear. I'd hate to see her miss out.

LaRae

In this case, no news is good news. ITA w/you about Zara. It's rather telling that for someone of her calibre in a sport that concentrates on the use of one's core a great deal that Zara's isn't looking how it should. Especially for someone who keeps saying she's seriously intent on competing in an Olympics that's only little under a year away.

Hope she proves us both wrong.

Oh dear, no Windsors of day 5 to time to trawl for sniping and intrigue. Let's be honest here, the Daily Mail has the most gorgeous photos around, but their articles are often maliciouse lies, pure invention or trawled from the gutter for gossip!

However, I didn't expect to read posts castigating others about the status of the Middletons or the Rhys-Joneses. Can't we leave all that to the Daily Mail too?

Neither did I. What is it about the Middletons that make people act the way they do? I just do not get it, but it is beyond sad.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom