The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Republic of Ireland State Visit to the UK - April 2014

@HRHDuchesskate: President Michael D. Higgins will become the first Irish Head of State to make a state visit to Britain in April 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24981123

President Michael D Higgins is to become the first Irish head of state to make an official state visit to the UK.

The president and his wife Sabina have accepted an invitation from the Queen to stay at Windsor Castle for a three-day visit in April.

Although the official programme is yet to be finalised it is expected that Mr and Mrs Higgins will stay at Windsor Castle from 8 April to 10 April.

The president is expected to include official visits to the prime minister at Downing Street as well as to the leader of the Opposition.

In line with other state visits it is likely the Lord Mayor of the City of London will host a banquet for the President and it is also expected that the Queen will host a State banquet.

--------------------------------------

Personal note - potentially state visit on my 21st birthday!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Majesty

Wow, another State event to look forward to.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Hopefully the hard working senior royals will be less glum. Mrs. Higgins will be properly dressed.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

He got his MS in sociology at Indiana University. His recollections:
President elect Michael D Higgins smoked weed at Indiana University | Irish News | IrishCentral

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 11-18-2013, 04:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Hopefully the hard working senior royals will be less glum. Mrs. Higgins will be properly dressed.
Depends upon your interpretation of glum and properly dressed, frankly there was no need for such a comment.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Not to forget the political importance of such a visit! The relations between the UK and Ireland have been very tense for ages. It it so good to see that improve. This SV will be really, really important.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Just heard it on the news,its a historic visit,part of me wishes it was President Mary Robinson or President Mary McAleese who did so much of the groundwork for the State Visit by Queen Elizabeth II in 2011.

President Higgins is a popular President but less robust than he 2 predecessors,we don't see as much of him as we did with the 2 Mary's.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1118/487...ael-d-higgins/

From the Office of the President

http://www.president.ie/uncategorize...ael-d-higgins/
Old 11-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Commoner

State Visit

William Ralph Inge, a rather pessimistic Anglican priest who was Professor of Divinity at Cambridge in the early 1900's, said that 'a nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbours.'
Let's hope and pray that this visit helps to cement the improving relations between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland - I'm sure that President Higgins will do a fantastic job, but what a pity that it's not President Mary McAleese who will be meeting with The Queen.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Making the news!

President Higgins to make historic first UK visit - Independent.ie

President Higgins to make historic first UK visit - Independent.ie
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Majesty

I'm hoping the Cambridge's will be able to attend this historic State event.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Since this is a very, very, very important State Visit, you may well get your wish. I personally would opt for "the gang's all here".
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Aristocracy

But won't they be on their tour of Australia and New Zealand then? Or is the state visit before they leave?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
But won't they be on their tour of Australia and New Zealand then? Or is the state visit before they leave?
That visit is not confirmed yet.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Serene Highness

I wonder with Kate getting the first tiara event out of the way with the diplomatic reception. That it may be more likely that the Cambridge attend the state dinner for this visit. Maybe the press would focus more on the historical significant of the visit instead of look at Kate in a tiara.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder with Kate getting the first tiara event out of the way with the diplomatic reception. That it may be more likely that the Cambridge attend the state dinner for this visit. Maybe the press would focus more on the historical significant of the visit instead of look at Kate in a tiara.
I agree that the chance that the Cambridges will attend this important state visit has grown considerably overnight (so to speak). Also I would say that the press reaction will be divided in the serious press concentrating on the political dimensions of the visit. But there is no chance that the tabloids will place politics and history above the glamour of a beautiful young Duchess. That’s just the way it is in this world.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I agree that the chance that the Cambridges will attend this important state visit has grown considerably overnight (so to speak). Also I would say that the press reaction will be divided in the serious press concentrating on the political dimensions of the visit. But there is no chance that the tabloids will place politics and history above the glamour of a beautiful young Duchess. That’s just the way it is in this world.
Given the importance and significance of the upcoming state visit from Ireland, I really don't think the Cambridges will be in attendance but more so the focus on Charles and Camilla attending with the Queen and DoE at this event (if they are, I don't know at this point).

I do think that the BRF is very well aware of the popularity of the Cambridges and the frenzy that surrounds whatever Kate wears and would probably prefer the media coverage focus on the relations between the UK and Ireland rather than Kate's hair (or whatever else the media would focus on). There'll be ample time in the future for them to attend state banquets. I just don' think this is going to be one of them.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If Catherine and William don't attend potentially the most significant state visit ever, it won't just be us guys that will be disappointed. William is the future King and to snub an affair such as this wouldn't go down well.

Unless they're out of the country, and it was pre planned before this announcement, then there is no reason for them not to attend other than illness or death IMO. I don't wish to be morbid of course.

As for the press focusing on the event, the right press/newspapers will focus on the event. The DailyMail, The Sun aka "the rags" will forever and always focus on clothes, shoes and jewellery. Where did the pictures and the news come from about Catherine's tiara appearance last night? Rebecca English as the DM. No reputable news outlet bothered with last night event because there was nothing to report.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:48 AM
Majesty

Member of Royal Family will be invited to Easter Rising centenary-
Member of Royal Family will be invited to Easter Rising centenary | The Times

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Well we know that the Cambridges won't be attending the state dinner since they will be in New Zealand at the time.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The Queen hosts a reception for Irish Community at Buckingham Palace (an inlaw of mine was invited & will be present )

Queen throws reception for Irish at the palace - The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 25, 2014