The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Video:
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness attended a reception hosted by the Queen at Windsor Castle today. The event, part of the state visit by Irish president Michael D Higgins, is for a range of individuals, British and Irish, who have made a significant contribution to furthering co-operation and mutual understanding across the island of Ireland, and/or public service, enterprise and cultural life in Northern Ireland-
Home - ITNSource News

Look how beautiful Her Majesty look.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness attended a reception hosted by the Queen at Windsor Castle today. The event, part of the state visit by Irish president Michael D Higgins, is for a range of individuals, British and Irish, who have made a significant contribution to furthering co-operation and mutual understanding across the island of Ireland, and/or public service, enterprise and cultural life in Northern Ireland-
Home - ITNSource News

Look how beautiful Her Majesty look.
From RTE News

Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Revealed: The gifts President Higgins and wife Sabina gave the royal family on state visit

Revealed: The gifts President Higgins and wife Sabina gave the royal family on state visit - Independent.ie
Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Revealed: The gifts President Higgins and wife Sabina gave the royal family on state visit

Revealed: The gifts President Higgins and wife Sabina gave the royal family on state visit - Independent.ie
Interesting and thoughtful gifts - you cannot beat Irish crafts and design! I especially like the Donegal tweed suit that Charles got, as I got married in one of those and it's far too big for me now....so wouldn't mind another one!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

President Michael D Higgins Speech at the Royal Albert Hall last night,Prince & Princess Michael of Kent get a mention in Irish & English

Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

President Higgins hails 'memorable' State visit

President Higgins hails 'memorable' State visit - RTÉ News
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Majesty

Video:
The Irish President Michael D Higgins and his wife have had their formal farewell with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle this morning. The President will travel on to Coventry and Stratford Upon Avon-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
President Michael D Higgins Speech at the Royal Albert Hall last night,Prince & Princess Michael of Kent get a mention in Irish & English
It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael attending the event.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I must say, if I were living in a republic and could choose a president I would gladly choose Michael D Higgins. What a gracious man! I say this not least of all because he reminds me very much of my grandfather who was an Irishman and born in the 1890s!
It cannot go unnoticed that the Irish seem to have an inimitable knack of choosing good people for their president! This has been a delightful State Visit and will hopefully bring the peoples of the British Isles closer across the sea.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Wonderful comment, being of Irish and Scottish decent, I hope the same.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

The British organization was impeccable, the splendour and the glitter was amazing as always. There is only one thing what wondered me. This is a State Visit by a neighbour, in fact the only neighbour on the British mainland, with a long shared history.

There was a State Banquet at Windsor Castle. There was a banquet at Guildhall. There was a reception at Windsor Castle. For so far the usual ingredients. In return, Culture Ireland organized a concert at Royal Albert Hall, as a "counter event", also as a token of gratitude for the warm reception and the enjoyed hospitality.

No Queen and Duke, no Prince and Duchess, no Prince Harry, no Princess Royal and Admiral Lawrence, no Duke of York, no Earl and Countess of Wessex, no Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, no Duke and Duchess of Kent. The only royals to attend this great Irish event were Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. With all respect to them (and I always admire Marie-Christine), I feel the reciprocity is lost out of the eye. This is not the president of Kazakhstan, this is the president of your country's very own and only neighbours, once a realm of the British Crown... I found the royal turn-out for the Irish event surprisingly low.

Picture from the Office of the President, showing President Higgins, Mrs Higgins, Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent at the Royal Albert Hall:
http://www.president.ie/wp-content/u...2-1024x682.jpg
Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well I must say, if I were living in a republic and could choose a president I would gladly choose Michael D Higgins. What a gracious man! I say this not least of all because he reminds me very much of my grandfather who was an Irishman and born in the 1890s!
It cannot go unnoticed that the Irish seem to have an inimitable knack of choosing good people for their president! This has been a delightful State Visit and will hopefully bring the peoples of the British Isles closer across the sea.
What a lovely thing to say Jacknch ,I've always admired Michael D Higgins & he was my personal choice to succeed Mary McAleese in 2011,who herself did a wonderful job in her 14 years at the Aras.As I'm of both Irish & English decent I have personally enjoyed this highly successful State Visit & the warm reception the President & his wife received in the UK .Without a doubt this is dawn of a new era for Anglo-Irish relations and the role of Her Majesty in bringing about this must be applauded.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Over 2,000 turned out to greet & cheer the Irish President & his wife at Coventry today.

BBC News - Irish President Michael D Higgins moved by UK reception

Queen & Duke bid farewell to the President & Mrs Higgins

Queen bids farewell to Higgins at end of state visit - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 11, 2014
Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

TRH Prince & Princess Michael at the Royal Albert Hall last night for the Irish Celebration

Getty Images

Princess Michael of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent attend Ceiliuradh... News Photo 483883103 | Getty Images

Princess Michael of Kent attends Ceiliuradh at the Royal Albert Hall... News Photo 483883129 | Getty Images

President & his wife visit Stratford-upon-Avon

Stratford Herald - Local news for Stratford-upon-Avon - Irish president wants to come back to Stratford
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

the Queen looked so happy at waving goodbye
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e9fe6fc67...b37wo7_500.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/7555f9a2b...b37wo6_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/981c3f02e...b37wo8_500.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/b7cc4a17b...b37wo9_500.jpg
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well - here is just a grand photo from today - I wonder what the back story was? The little girl's name is Martha Wainwright.
Sabina Higgins Photos - First State Visit of an Irish President - Zimbio

Here, the picture is...odd until you understand that this is an actor's wig:
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/S...DRrwFG6H7l.jpg

I thought the visit was spectacular on both a large and intimate scale. I'm not surprised the Queen is so joyful, it is a huge step toward the future.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
There is just something about Mr. Higgins that makes you want just reach out and cuddle him to death. I'm really not one bit surprised that HM and Mr. Higgins got along so well as I've discovered in the Queen's thread that they're both horse racing fans and I can imagine some very lively conversations they must have had.

With my grandfather, who was born in 1880, emigrating to the US and having his second family here, I was raised knowing about "the troubles" of the bygone years and its very special to me to witness this very historic State Visit and watch via photos and videos the warmth and the charm and the comraderie that hopefully is bringing peace and warm relationships between what was once feuding neighbors.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

President & his wife arrived home yesterday evening

President Higgins and Sabina touch down in Ireland as much-heralded State visit comes to a close - Independent.ie