Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s a major and very significant step for Charles indeed. A very big moment for all of us to witness too.

:previous:

Yes indeed!

I’m guessing The Queen and Prince Philip will stand alone or with Camilla and Catherine.

:previous:

Yes indeed!

I’m guessing The Queen and Prince Philip will stand alone or with Camilla and Catherine.

You're forgetting that Sophie and Tim also stand on the same balcony as Camilla and Catherine.

:previous: There's more than one balcony - the Gloucesters and Tim Lawrence also attend; sometimes Princess Alexandra.

Right, that’s why I’m wondering if The Queen and Prince Philip will share the balcony with Camilla and Catherine? Or stand alone and the other senior royals stand in the other balconies?

Right, that’s why I’m wondering if The Queen and Prince Philip will share the balcony with Camilla and Catherine? Or stand alone and the other senior royals stand in the other balconies?

I suspect HM and Philip will share the balcony with Camilla and Catherine. Sophie and Tim can go to the other balcony.

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2016

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will view Remembrance Sunday from the balcony.

@Royalreporter
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will view this year's Remembrance service at the Cenotaph from a balcony, Buckingham Palace says.

UPDATE:

I have noticed that this is being discussed in several threads so have alerted moderators and I think it should be in this thread as it's not an event.

I'm intrigued by this decision, it's not based on the DOE health because HM can do it on her own and Philip can be on the balcony. It is very clearly a passing of the baton, without actually passing it.

Last edited:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will view Remembrance Sunday from the balcony.

@RoyalReporter
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will view this year's Remembrance service at the Cenotaph from a balcony, Buckingham Palace says.

That's a big change, not so? :ermm: Likely for health reasons regarding the Duke?

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will view the Cenotaph: Remembrance Service from the Foreign Office balcony from now on. The Prince of Wales will lay The Queen’s wreath from now on.

It’s a major and very significant step for Charles indeed. A very big moment for all of us to witness too.

Makes sense, of course, but I was wondering if there is a more pertinent reason, like Philip's health. Anyone know?
Or have an educated guess? :ermm:

Does it really matter where on balconies these people all stand? Just wondered if we're just guessing or grasping at straws or there is a real protocol behind it.

To me its just another step in the transition of the monarchy from Elizabeth to her son. I don't think there's any "hidden" meanings behind it.

Does it really matter where on balconies these people all stand? Just wondered if we're just guessing or grasping at straws or there is a real protocol behind it.

It is a new protocol that will be defined this year, so yes, we are all speculating at this stage!

Yes, I think it’s down to the smooth transition. The younger royals are simply taking on more roles and duties.

I do expect some announcements of more roles and patronages being passed down at some point too.

Makes sense, of course, but I was wondering if there is a more pertinent reason, like Philip's health. Anyone know?

All I have read is that Philip wanted to attend (although not participate directly) and would view from a balcony. HMQ decided that she would attend/stand with Philip and therefore asked Charles to lay her wreath (which is on behalf of the Nation). Philips wreath is to be laid by an Equery and Charles will lay his own wreath.

That's all the info I've seen.

I think it's good to start some of these transitions now before anything does happen. I'm sure behind the scenes there's already a bunch that have happened.

LaRae

I'm going to guess that the Queen and Philip will stand on their own balcony with one of her ladies in waiting. They accompany her pretty much everywhere so it wouldn't surprise me if this is what the situation will be.

I think Camilla, Catherine, Sophie and Tim will remain on another balcony. The Gloucester's tend to stand with other family members on another balcony.

That's a big change, not so? :ermm: Likely for health reasons regarding the Duke?
More likely mobility issues w/ her majesty, but it could just be part of the slow handover of duties to P. Charles.

@RoyalReporter

UPDATE:

I have noticed that this is being discussed in several threads so have alerted moderators and I think it should be in this thread as it's not an event.

I'm intrigued by this decision, it's not based on the DOE health because HM can do it on her own and Philip can be on the balcony. It is very clearly a passing of the baton, without actually passing it.

It certainly fits with some of the things said about the "shake up in royal staff" and that Charles wanted to be seen more at key events. Here the Queen will still be present but Charles will be laying the wreath for her, a change without anyone not being there.

a nice graceful transition ... and one born in practicality; that was a long time for her to stand.

Personally I wish we could have a nice clean succession, not a lingering sinking like a great ship settling into the depths with excruciating graduality.

I disagree. For a woman that has dedicated her entire adult life to service and duty to crown and country, I think doing things the way they are now does a lot to let HM know that when the time comes that her job is done, she has seen with her own eyes that the monarchy that she holds so dear to her heart will be in good hands. That, IMO, is peace of mind.

Her big job is to help set up the next reign. She’s making sure the transition is done smoothly.

With all the anxiety being expressed by veteran royal watchers, press and people on Charles’s future kingship, I think it’s good The Queen is allowing everyone see how things are going to be once he ascends the throne.

If she would abdicate she would be better able to see that the monarchy is in good hands with the new king. So, there are more solutions to avoid the 'lingering sinking' that Wyevale described than keeping strong/not giving in to (very logical) ailments that come with her age. Handing over the reins would be another one.

Makes me think of queen Juliana: she wasn't seen because of dementia for the last 7 years of her life; glad that she decided to abdicate (much earlier in her case) as it would be an awkward situation to have a monarch that is not seen at all and unable to recognize what role she has. Of course, that is by far not the case with the queen -who is clearly of sound mind- but the stance of 'no abdication no matter what' is probably not the most healthy one either.

Not that I would want the queen to abdicate against her own conscience but if she would wish to see that the monarchy is in good hands with the next generation, abdication is the most obvious solution, or alternatively, a regency for the Prince of Wales if abdication is out of the question.

Personally I wish we could have a nice clean succession, not a lingering sinking like a great ship settling into the depths with excruciating graduality.

That is a interesting description. I don't view Her Majesty as a sinking ship, more like a ship that is docked.
I still don't see the Queen abdicating, just gradually giving more responsibility to Charles and William. I feel like the Queen would feel like she had abandoned her commitment if she abdicated. I don't see a Regency unless she believes her mind is beginning to fail.
I also think living through her uncle's abdication influences her strong feelings about abdication.

Last edited:
A very interesting development as QEII and DoE begin their transition to leaving more with the PoW.

Are people really surprised by this? She's 91.

1. This hasn't anything to do with Charles.

2. Philip wanted to be on the balcony, the Queen then decided to be there with him.

3. And as Alastair Bruce said on Sky News: ''The requirement was that she should take a pretty heavy wreath, go up a number of steps, lay it in precisely the right place, walk backwards down some steps. She's done that for over 60 years, but perhaps now she's 91, its much more dignified to have her up in the balcony watching the event. And the Prince of Wales who is a young man by comparison, is perfect to do the job.''

4. She's in excellent health and will have a bunch of engagements - starting tomorrow.

5. Article from Sky News:
Queen to skip Cenotaph wreath laying on Remembrance Sunday
Buckingham Palace said this year's arrangements may not necessarily be the same for next year's service.

On Tuesday, the Queen flew back from Scotland after spending the summer in Balmoral.

A spokeswoman said her diary is almost exactly the same pace as at this time last year.

6. And I don't think wyevale meant that HM was a sinking ship or that he wanted her to abdicate, because he wrote this in the abdication thread:
There is no EARTHLY reason HMQ would abdicate, as [should 'it all become TOO much' for her], the Regency act exists to relieve her of the 'day to day' burden, whilst technically keeping her 'my WHOLE life' vow and her Coronation OATH to her peoples.
Such a deeply religious Woman will not break an oath made 'before God'.

7. And for the 100000th time, the Queen can't/won't abdicate, because that would be disastrous for the monarchy.

8. And this isn't Queen Juliana, this is the most popular/iconic/famous head of state in the world, head of state of 16 countries and the figurehead of two billion people.

Last edited:
Are people really surprised by this? She's 91.

1. This hasn't anything to do with Charles.

2. Philip wanted to be on the balcony, the Queen then decided to be there with him.

3. And as Alastair Bruce said on Sky News: ''The requirement was that she should take a pretty heavy wreath, go up a number of steps, lay it in precisely the right place, walk backwards down some steps. She's done that for over 60 years, but perhaps now she's 91, its much more dignified to have her up in the balcony watching the event. And the Prince of Wales who is a young man by comparison, is perfect to do the job.''

4. She's in excellent health and will have a bunch of engagements - starting tomorrow.
:previous:This. People forget the Queen is in her 90's and Philip is in his mid-90's. To expect the same-same each year is ridiculous. The Queen comes across as practical - if she isn't able to fulfil a duty, she will pass it to her heir, Charles. I think it's a wise decision from both the Queen and Duke.

Sad as this may be, it absolutely makes sense. HM and the DoE have managed walking backwards down the steps of the cenotaph, after laying their wreaths, without incident until now - just imagine if either of them stumbled or even fell? At their age? A fracture could easily result.
They have done so with dignity and agility - and may I say, at times with more stability than the PoW!
We will have to face more of these changes in the future unfortunately, but I don't think we should read too much into it re. abdication etc etc

I think it is just an acknowledgment that Philip and the Queen have reached very advanced ages and ceremonial standing & walking have become more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom