Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the way old King Olav of Norway back in the (1970s ? and) 1980s used to handle it, wearing no uniform and standing on the balcony with the british royal ladies, was a more fitting way!

In regards of protocol, he is equally ranked to the british Queen, but still had to stand behind her in 2nd row at this particular ceremony. Standing with the Queen and the british royal men down on the street made it all a bit difficult while no such "problems" came up with the way things were handled with King Olav V.

Last edited:
I think the way old King Olav of Norway back in the (1970s ? and) 1980s used to handle it, wearing no uniform and standing on the balcony with the british royal ladies, was a more fitting way!

In regards of protocol, he is equally ranked to the british Queen, but still had to stand behind her in 2nd row at this particular ceremony. Standing with the Queen and the british royal men down on the street made it all a bit difficult while no such "problems" came up with the way things were handled with King Olav V.
I understand what you mean, but I think this worked well as well since it's a special occation and it was more of a "thanks from the Netherlands"-wreath he lay on behalf of his country to honor the British.

It was all very impressive. I was glad to see that Queen Maxima is recovered and accompanied King Willem-Alexander to the ceremony. I'm also pleased that Jeremy Corbyn at last showed some common sense, wore a red poppy, sang the National Anthem and laid a wreath.

W-A is standing with only Philip, the other British royals are behind them. He was invited by the Queen to lay a wreath. It is the British Remembrance service so the Queen should lay her wreath first. W-A went 2nd and then Philip. The Queen is the more senior monarch in terms of length of reign so she has precedence over W-A anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.

https://www.defensie.nl/english/lat...l-retain-close-relationship-with-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.

Off topic here but King Willem Alexander does have a uniform and wears it when appropiate,like fe on Veterans Day each and every year.

As Always,all was beautifully and respectfully done!Was good to see TM the King & Queen of The Netherlands in attendance.An appropiate gesture for QEII to invite them,and equally appropiate to emphasize the gratitude towards the Britsh who gave their lives for our Liberation.

Last edited:
Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2015

What the heck? Unusual for the balcony... http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...maxima-of-the-netherlands-picture-id496248852

Edit - I take this back - off to the left you can also see the Admiral is turned a quarter toward the Queen. (look at his coat buttons). I'm guessing it was as they came out/left.

The people on the balcony are out there before the Queen and the wreath layers come out.

The King was invited by Queen Elizabeth II to lay a wreath so clearly he accepted that invitation and laid a wreath which he couldn't do if he was standing on the balcony. I'm not 100% sure but given that King Olav appears to have attended the service on more than one occasion I guess it wasn't appropriate or necessary for him to lay a wreath every time so as such he stood on the balcony.
The King stood slightly behind the Queen but to her right while Philip stood slightly behind her and to her left. I think this was entirely appropriate given that the Queen was leading her nation in a moment of Remembrance, the King was given all the appropriate honours and protocol, he walked out onto the parade standing next to Queen Elizabeth II. I suspect part of the positioning was to create a neat symmetry, the Queen flanked either side and then the other royals laying wreaths in groups of 3 either side as well.

The King was invited by Queen Elizabeth II to lay a wreath so clearly he accepted that invitation and laid a wreath which he couldn't do if he was standing on the balcony. I'm not 100% sure but given that King Olav appears to have attended the service on more than one occasion I guess it wasn't appropriate or necessary for him to lay a wreath every time so as such he stood on the balcony.
The King stood slightly behind the Queen but to her right while Philip stood slightly behind her and to her left. I think this was entirely appropriate given that the Queen was leading her nation in a moment of Remembrance, the King was given all the appropriate honours and protocol, he walked out onto the parade standing next to Queen Elizabeth II. I suspect part of the positioning was to create a neat symmetry, the Queen flanked either side and then the other royals laying wreaths in groups of 3 either side as well.

Haha, I'm sorry. This might not be entirely appropriate. But I got the silliest image in my head of him standing on the balcony and throwing the wreath as one of those life-savers on boats. Or like a horseshoe.. :lol:

Hasn't Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg been a guest on the balcony several times as well?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I suppose he only wears it in the Netherlands when attending a Dutch military ceremony. Duc et Pair or Marengo should be able to explain to us.

My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.

The King of the Netherlands has worn his uniforms regularly, also after his accession. (Here you see him in a naval uniform, here in an army uniform, etc.) However, King Olav V of Norway also never did attend in uniform, see picture. I think both King Olav (known as a lover of military wear) as well King Willem-Alexander choose to keep it a British (and Commonwealth) Remembrance indeed.

King Willem-Alexander was honourably discharged from the army upon his ascending the throne. After that he's allowed to wear a uniform with Royal insignia as opposed to his former rank insignia indicating he's not an active member of the armed forces anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

You forget that King Olav laid no wreath but was "just" a spectator. King Willem-Alexander actively laid a wreath and unless he has magical powers, this required him to stand at the Cenotaph down below...

:whistling:

Queen Elizabeth II and King Willem-Alexander arrived and left together as a pair. Only before the Cenotaph, the Queen stood one step before King Willem-Alexander, which is understandable as she leads the Nation and the Commonwealth in the remembrance, not the high guest from the Netherlands.

Look at this picture: an impeccably dressed gentlemen, with well-tailored black coat, spotlessly polished shoes, neatly combed hair, even not forgetting the typically British poppies in the lapels, with a touching tribute on the wreath... No I think, complaints about the look are misplaced.

:flowers:

King Willem-Alexander was honourably discharged from the army upon his ascending the throne. After that he's allowed to wear a uniform with Royal insignia as opposed to his former rank insignia indicating he's not an active member of the armed forces anymore.

Like any retired or discharged officer the King is allowed to wear a military uniform when appropriate. The royal distinctives were specially designed to go with the uniform of a supreme commander but not with the rank of a General, the rank of an Admiral, no: it shows that it is The King.

The Orb, the Sceptre and the Sword-of-State together: see picture. It is an inventive solution which does justice to the King's position in combination with his inactive military position.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Olaf was also the Queen's cousin.His mother was the sister of George V.

W-A isn't a British military honorary colonel like some other foreign monarchs so he can't wear a British uniform. I don't see anything wrong with what he wore.

Like any retired or discharged officer the King is allowed to wear a military uniform when appropriate. The royal distinctives were specially designed to go with the uniform of a supreme commander but not with the rank of a General, the rank of an Admiral, no: it shows that it is The King.

The Orb, the Sceptre and the Sword-of-State together: see picture. It is an inventive solution which does justice to the King's position in combination with his inactive military position.

So the insignia is a first, created especially for the King?

what a great celebration that remembrance day is. :flowers:

i am glad to see the dutch king and queen present this year. i wonder why exactly they got invited this year specifically? i wonder where they stayed: i guess the embassy is a good guess. are they guests to the ambassador when they travel around? i'd assume from a security perspective, staying there would be the easiest, but i can also see the benefit of staying in a hotel as people wouldn't know in which one they are staying. in any case it's great to see maxima looking recovered and superb.

The people on the balcony are out there before the Queen and the wreath layers come out.

Yes and it is not unusual to see them conversing before the arrival of the Queen and those who are laying wreaths.:)

what a great celebration that remembrance day is. :flowers:

i am glad to see the dutch king and queen present this year. i wonder why exactly they got invited this year specifically? i wonder where they stayed: i guess the embassy is a good guess. are they guests to the ambassador when they travel around? i'd assume from a security perspective, staying there would be the easiest, but i can also see the benefit of staying in a hotel as people wouldn't know in which one they are staying. in any case it's great to see maxima looking recovered and superb.

They were invited as it has been 70 years since the British helped to liberate our country.

They do not need to stay anywhere, the trip London-Amsterdam takes an hour or so. But perhaps they are spending the weekend with Pss Mabel, who lives in London.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting all the wonderful photographs. Also a treat to have the regal Dutch sovereigns here. More countries that were liberated by the British should come or be invited, IMO, helps to underscore the history and our interdependence. Shame on the British politicians for behaving like "mean girls" a special treat to see the queen looking superb last night and having fun with her grandson

What a beautiful day and the first time I enjoyed a live broadcast. I imagine how emotional it is this day especially for the Queen and Prince Philip with such vivid memories must they have from the Second World War.

Nice to see a picture of the King & Queen along with The Queen and Prince Philip. We usually don't see any photos of the royals meeting and talking before or after they process out to the Cenotaph.

The liberation of the Netherlands took two years. It started in September 1944 but suddenly halted because of fierce German resistance. The biggest airborne operation ever (Operation Market Garden) failed, see the movie "A Bridge Too Far".

This caused that the Southern provinces of the Netherlands were liberated since September 1944 but the Northern provinces were still under Nazi occupation until May 1945 and did had an enormous toll: the Dutch Famine of 1944 did cost 22.000 deaths of hunger, mainly in the cities in the province of Holland, especially Amsterdam, as the food-producing countryside was out of reach because of the battlefield, the front, ripping the country in two.

The Dutch Royals lived for a time in Canada during the war. The King made mentioned of it when he visited Ottawa.

Does anyone know the name of the first hymn sung at this mornings Service?

Lovely to see the Dutch royal family in attendance. Despite the solemn occasion, once I saw Maxima's hat, I couldn't help but ponder what it might have been like if Camilla had also been present on that balcony - surely no room for Kate & Sophie.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom