The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Festival of Remembrance was perfect as ever, but it was a long seat to watch. I would recommend to shorten it, to make it less swollen and pompous and let the youth be more involved. Also the very thick sauce of the Church of England over the proceedings maybe is food for thought.

The UK is one of the most secularized states in Europe, the population is more multi-ethnic and multi-religious (or not religious at all) as ever before. Then rasing a "battlefield altar" in Albert Hall and singing the one Christian hymn after the other with an Anglican bishop in full ornate saying prayers and give a blessing looks like the Remembrance is stil in modus 1958.

What about Her Majesty's most loyal servicewomen and -men who are Sikh, Hindu, agnostic, Muslim, purely secular, Catholic, Humanist or whatever? I hope that the festival -as perfect and spotless the execution was- will find a more inclusive formula.
I agree. There’s very little to no inclusion in the event. Hopefully this starts to change soon.

Although, I’m pleased to hear the hymn ‘Goin’ Home.’ Which is an original African American hymn.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

The Church of England is established by law. All church synod decisions must be approved by both Houses of Parliament.

So until the day comes and lawmakers decides something different there will always be the sauce of the CoE at big events especially Rememberance Day.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

The Festival of Remembrance is put on by the British Royal Legion. The Queen is their Patron. It’s isn’t a government event like the Cenotaph Service.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Even more so for the veterans I’d say. There’s a saying about no atheists in foxholes.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Even more so for the veterans I’d say. There’s a saying about no atheists in foxholes.
Its those that were in those foxholes that is the intrinsic purpose for which a remembrance time has come about. No matter what the denomination or the religious tenets that are used when remembering those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, the main point is that the Caretaker to whom they have returned is included.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Gentry

I must admit that I'd never really had concerns about 'inclusivity' in the RBL Festival of Remembrance - so I guess it's a good topic to raise here, to encourage discussion!
I enjoy this event and look forward to it every year. I wonder if those who feel offended by the religious content have watched the entire event? I am always impressed by the solemnity of the occasion, the respect that is shown to all those who have fought in many wars over the years, and the comfort that those left behind seem to gain from being able to talk about their loved ones. There is a large input from ex-service members from many countries, from their loved ones left behind, and an impressive turnout from the Royal Family. And I, as a fairly non-religious and rarely-church-going 'Presbyterian', do not feel in the least bit offended by a couple of traditional hymns and prayers at the end of the Festival.

Do people on the forum really feel it's time to change this event?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Not me. As a Catholic I wouldn't feel excluded because a CoE clergyman presided over the event. Have we really gotten to the point there needs to be a *disclaimer* before something so no one feels personally slighted or left out?

Everyone toughen up.

LaRae
Old 11-14-2017, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If there is to be change, I don't think we'll see it until after Charles takes the throne. Out of the respect for HM, The Queen and her profound dedication to the Church of England, it will remain as is. Most likely to change it while the Queen is still alive would be tantamount to a sacrilege to her.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just watched the Remembrance Sunday service and the DOE looked so frail leaning on the wall. I just forget that the man in 96.

I love the Festival of Remembrance and believe it is the entire opposite of exclusive, it is inclusive. You cannot truly understand the event, if you see it as divisive in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

I don’t think it should ever be changed or “modernized”. It’s a solemn occasion to remember not remember “lite”.

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day