The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Thank you for all the photos

What a change for the queen not being involved. I know she has missed, but only when pregnant or over seas. It must be so different watching. But it is certainly understandable considering her age. And seeing it pass on to Charles is a nice transition. She was certainly emotional on the balcony.

Was Anne there? Tim was but I didn't see Anne

Philip was looking frail but good for in his mid 90's. Coming down to London and all the activity of two days, and the weather may just have got to him. I am relieved to have seen photos of him carriage driving and know he is still quite active and lively. Sometimes days just catch up with you at that age.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Majesty

Yes Princess Anne was there!

http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...59b&m=eenhgcim
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...59b&m=bbplnemm

Old 11-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Majesty

Thanks I just missed her, thought it was odd I didn't see her
Old 11-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a video from Todays Annual wreath-laying ceremony at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Please excuse my ignorance, but what uniform/coat was Prince William and Prince Charles wearing?
Also, Harry's?
Princess Alexandra looks wonderful to me, last night and today. I didn't realize she was so short, shorter than Sophie.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Festival of Remembrance was perfect as ever, but it was a long seat to watch. I would recommend to shorten it, to make it less swollen and pompous and let the youth be more involved. Also the very thick sauce of the Church of England over the proceedings maybe is food for thought.

The UK is one of the most secularized states in Europe, the population is more multi-ethnic and multi-religious (or not religious at all) as ever before. Then rasing a "battlefield altar" in Albert Hall and singing the one Christian hymn after the other with an Anglican bishop in full ornate saying prayers and give a blessing looks like the Remembrance is stil in modus 1958.

What about Her Majesty's most loyal servicewomen and -men who are Sikh, Hindu, agnostic, Muslim, purely secular, Catholic, Humanist or whatever? I hope that the festival -as perfect and spotless the execution was- will find a more inclusive formula.
You bring up a good point
Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what uniform/coat was Prince William and Prince Charles wearing?
Also, Harry's?
Princess Alexandra looks wonderful to me, last night and today. I didn't realize she was so short, shorter than Sophie.
William is in the dress uniform of a squadron leader for the RAF.

Harry is in the captain's uniform of the household calvary.

Charles is in his air marshal uniform for the RAF.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

The last photo is very touching. The BRF has always had a large military history and sadly some military related deaths so HM can relate a lot to the soldiers and their families whom the service is commemorating.

I agree with the poster who bought up the cold weather here in London today being a factor for Philip's frail appearance. It was raining on the Jubilee pageant and he later ended up in hospital (not that I'm saying the same will happen to Philip after this morning, but just how due to his old age, he can be affected negatively by the weather).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Complete Coverage of Remembrance Sunday 2017:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=-ZmUKgW0fS0

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

They seemed to have changed some of the hymns this year at the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall,I was looking forward to Jerusalem as in previous years but not this year.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
The last photo is very touching. The BRF has always had a large military history and sadly some military related deaths (I'm thinking of the former Duke of Kent and Prince William of Gloucester here) so HM can relate a lot to the soldiers and their families whom the service is commemorating.
The Late Duke of Kent was killed during WWII but Prince William's death was not military related, in fact he never served in the armed forces. His death took place during an air race.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
The last photo is very touching. The BRF has always had a large military history and sadly some military related deaths (I'm thinking of the former Duke of Kent and Prince William of Gloucester here) so HM can relate a lot to the soldiers and their families whom the service is commemorating.

I agree with the poster who bought up the cold weather here in London today being a factor for Philip's frail appearance. It was raining on the Jubilee pageant and he later ended up in hospital (not that I'm saying the same will happen to Philip after this morning, but just how due to his old age, he can be affected negatively by the weather).

Prince William of Gloucester didn’t die on military duty. He died in an air show air race as a civilian pilot. He never was in the military.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
They seemed to have changed some of the hymns this year at the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall,I was looking forward to Jerusalem as in previous years but not this year.

You’re dead right Ard Ri. Unfortunately the Royal British Legion seemed to have taken media advice from the broadcasters and have notched the patriotic tunes down a bit to make a more pan generational programme. With regard To what Duc was referring to earlier, they are really trying to make it even more Bon homie without too much overt jingoism reserved for the Last Night of the Proms. However, the so-called “church of England sauce” remains a tiny fraction of the broadcast reserved to the finale for what is deservedly a commemoration for the Fallen in a kingdom with a state religion. One can only look over their shoulder at continental attempts to honour the Great War and WW2 and especially in those states and kingdoms who do not recognise any God, and wonder why bother since their ceremonies are short, cold and godless. The Netherlands comes to mind.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
The Late Duke of Kent was killed during WWII but Prince William's death was not military related, in fact he never served in the armed forces. His death took place during an air race.

Thank you for the correction. As his death was aviation related I had just presumed that he was involved in the RAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Prince William of Gloucester didn’t die on military duty. He died in an air show air race as a civilian pilot. He never was in the military.

Victoria had already corrected me above. I’ll remove that part of my post then as it seems I stand corrected.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Remembrance Sunday 2017
Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Also, Harry's?
Princess Alexandra has lost height over the last several years as she has become older.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
William looks about 12 years old in the Getty pictures.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

William got his hair cut the other day. It’s super short on the sides thus he looks super young in his uniform
Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thanks for posting these links.

IMO Prince Philip did not look well at all. I know at his age it is a minor miracle that he was there at all but still...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it was pretty cold out, doesn't take much to get to you. He's been fine here lately.

LaRae

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day