Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Canada its tradition for men and women to wear it on the left. Its meant to be worn above the heart to symbolize the sacrifice of the soldiers.

Poppies were chosen by the Great War Veteran's association (pre-cursor to the legion) in 1921 as a symbol of remembrance for Canada.

Ours its not about the colors. They were inspired by 'In Flander's Fields' a poem written by John McCrae and still read every November 11. It speaks about the poppies in Belgium which grew on the battlefields.

https://www.legion.ca/remembrance/the-poppy/history-of-the-poppy

They are sold every year by the Legion with money donated to the Veterans.

I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone wearing a poppy for Memorial Day or Veteran's Day. Do any of our other American posters recall seeing poppies for sale or people wearing them?

https://www.alaforveterans.org/Poppy/

Personally I would love to see this tradition of wearing one catch on in the U.S.A.

The town I lived in as a child is in Linn County, Oregon, home to one of the largest Veteran's Day parades in the nation and poppy sales were huge 35-40 years ago. My grandparents were also very involved with the American Legion on both the local and state level and my parents had me in Junior Auxiliary as a kid, which had a poppy sale contest similar to Girl Scout cookie sales. The town we moved to when I was a teenager didn't have as active of an American Legion or VFW so I don't feel like poppy sales were as much of a thing there, so I suspect that it's very location specific if it's a thing still nowadays.

Military Wives Choirs collaborate with the Westminster City Council to commemorate the burial of the Unknown Warrior. Abide with Me was sung accompanying him to his final final resting place on 11th November 1920. Military Wives Choirs have released a new and very moving version to mark the 100 years.

Video released by Westminster Council on the story of the Unknown Warrior

Abide with Me by The Military Wives Choirs

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/unknownwarrior100

Last edited:
I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone wearing a poppy for Memorial Day or Veteran's Day. Do any of our other American posters recall seeing poppies for sale or people wearing them?

Personally I would love to see this tradition of wearing one catch on in the U.S.A.

Up until about 40 years ago you would see people wearing them occasionally, and some stores would have a small box of them for sale up at the checkout counters. I haven't seen anyone wearing one, or seen any for sale for years.

Up until about 40 years ago you would see people wearing them occasionally, and some stores would have a small box of them for sale up at the checkout counters. I haven't seen anyone wearing one, or seen any for sale for years.

Thank you Ista and to all of the others who took the time to answer my question about Americans wearing poppies. :flowers:

The Earl of Wessex wears uniform and Decorations . I thought He left the Army ?

The Earl had joined the Royal Marines training but left the program before completing. Members of the British Royal family are sometimes seen in the uniforms of the regiments that they represent.

He started training with the Royal Marines but left. He holds several honorary appointments and is also an Aide de Camp to HM.

That's a lovely version of Abide with Me.

I almost don't want to know too much about the Unknown Warrior, even though the story of how it came to happen is fascinating.

Here the money goes to the Royal British Legion. Where would the money raised in the US have gone to?

The grave of the Unknown Warrior is usually surrounded by poppies but here it's surrounded by? I'm not very up on plants.?

Here the money goes to the Royal British Legion. Where would the money raised in the US have gone to?

As I recall, poppy sales were by several different organizations, such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion, and no doubt other organizations that support or supported veterans. I'm not sure what the current situation is, since, as I said, I haven't seen poppies for sale commonly in at least 20 years. Perhaps one of the other members has more current information and will post.

I wept watching the memorial service to the Unknown Warrior today as I read an article saying he was , 'undoubtably a young man, no older than 25 and possibly as young as 15 or 16 as so many lied about their age and were never questioned.' That totally broke my heart.

The grave of the Unknown Warrior is usually surrounded by poppies but here it's surrounded by? I'm not very up on plants.?

i thought that it was surrounded by a border of poppies as usual... with the queen's bouquet and other flowers palced on it after the service today.

i thought that it was surrounded by a border of poppies as usual... with the queen's bouquet and other flowers palced on it after the service today.

Post 1326 - it's surrounded by green with white flowers. You can tell I don't know anything about flowers.:lol:

When HM was there last week it was surrounded by the usual garland of poppies but not today.

National Poppy Day®
May 22, 2020
The red poppy is a nationally recognized symbol of sacrifice worn by Americans since World War I to honor those who served and died for our country in all wars. It reminds Americans of the sacrifices made by our veterans while protecting our freedoms. Wear a poppy to honor those who have worn our nation's uniform.
All donations received will be used by The American Legion Family for their programs that support veterans, the military community and their families.
https://www.legion.org/poppyday

The American Legion Auxiliary Poppy Program. "Connecting the visual image of the poppy with the sacrifice of service made by our veterans has been an important goal of the American Legion Auxiliary Poppy Program since its inception in 1921. On Memorial Day and Veterans Day, millions of red crepe paper poppies—all handmade by veterans as part of their therapeutic rehabilitation—are distributed across the country in exchange for donations that go directly to assist disabled and hospitalized veterans in our communities."

It's laurels, echoing what was done in 1920.. The wreath laid by Prince Charles was a replica of the one laid by King George v in 1920, which was also laurels, with red roses. It wasn't till 1922 that poppies became the flower of remembrance.

I think poppy wearing is a very British thing. I know in France cornflowers are the symbol of remembrance and are worn in a similar fashion to the red poppies. Some other countries like the US wear poppies but not to the national scale of the UK. In early November all television personalities, reporters, politicians, etc are all wearing poppies.

Thank you Lady Daly & janet14 for your posts.:flowers:

Throwback to 1984's Festival of Remembrance with the late king Olav V of Norway as guest with the Queen.

Also in attendance H.M. The Queen Mother, HRH Duke of Edinburgh, HRH The Prince of Wales, HRH The Princess of Wales, HRH Anne and HRH Prince Michael of Kent.

Last edited:
Wonderful I had noticed that Duchess was wearing one earlier this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, November 11, the Duchess of Cornwall visited the Field of Remembrance in Westminster:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** dm article: Nation falls silent for fallen heroes: Camilla lays memorial cross at Westminster Abbey ..**

And the Countess of Wessex attended an Armistice Service and Parade in Bedworth today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** rex gallery **

** gettyimages gallery: GBR: Sophie, Countess Of Wessex Attends A Memorial Service And Parade **

Meanwhile the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attended a ceremony at the National Memorial Arboretum:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
The event has been an annual fixture for close on a century.

The Queen Mother used to do it and then Philip. When Philip retired Harry was given the role and in 2019, the last time he went, Camilla was also supposed to be there but had to pull out due to a cold/flu. She then went last year and again this year. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't do this for the next decade or so and then Catherine will take over.

Are you not talking about visiting the Field of Rememberance outside the Abbey? My comment was about Camilla's ttrip to the Poppy Factory yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom