The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
All I have read is that Philip wanted to attend (although not participate directly) and would view from a balcony. HMQ decided that she would attend/stand with Philip and therefore asked Charles to lay her wreath (which is on behalf of the Nation). Philips wreath is to be laid by an Equery and Charles will lay his own wreath.

That's all the info I've seen.
Thank you, cepe. Now I understand. I could also imagine this story (sounding so reasonable) being a way of achieving her bowing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Sad as this may be, it absolutely makes sense. HM and the DoE have managed walking backwards down the steps of the cenotaph, after laying their wreaths, without incident until now - just imagine if either of them stumbled or even fell? At their age? A fracture could easily result.
Absolutely!

Quote:
They have done so with dignity and agility - and may I say, at times with more stability than the PoW!
What happened? Has Charles tottered? Bumped into a soldier? A post?

Quote:
We will have to face more of these changes in the future unfortunately, but I don't think we should read too much into it re. abdication etc etc
I am not one of her subjects but if I were, I would much prefer to see the old folks taking it easy than be 'forced' (by their own reasoning to an insistent public) to stay at activities that left to their own personal wishes they would rather stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think it is just an acknowledgment that Philip and the Queen have reached very advanced ages and ceremonial standing & walking have become more difficult.
That's clear. They need to be given some slack. JMO.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Elizabeth doesn’t know she put a lump in my throat today. Yet I smile knowing she made another decision for her monarchy. Fragile, most probably. Slower, no doubt. With ever changing tomorrow’s I smile knowing they’ll be more lumps. Such grace.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts have been moved here from other threads. Just as a reminder, we can discuss the question of abdication nd regency in the The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement? thread.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Depends what you think are serious mobility issues. The Queen, apparently, has knee problems.

However, she was riding her pony a few weeks ago and a couple of days ago she was photographed climbing up airplane steps alone, with no one hovering around her. So, my guess is she’s doing fine for everyday things and better than some people 20 years younger I know.
Knee problems are serious. Fells the best of us. And if there is not a rigorous work-out regimen, with a solid dose of yoga/pilates (or activities of that sort), the end is determined sorry to say: mobility issues in spades. JMO, of course, but I have seen a lot, too. I know whereof I speak.

Actually, it's what impresses me about William and Kate. They clearly have a work-out regimen. William, so tall, maintains a very slim profile. His back is straight. Good role model for that alone. In fact, I wish they would talk more about physical conditioning. Weight training in particular produces pheromones, mood altering/mood elevating, that off-set depression, for example. Talk therapy has it's negatives, but physical excellence has no downside. Would be great if they started stressing physical culture. JMO. (Off Topic, but my special issue).
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can definitely identify with HM and knee issues. If someone has knee problems, like I do, as a person ages, the affected areas of the body tend to be the first place to show age.

The Queen has a good quarter of a century on me but she has been more mobile and has been able to stand and walk much better than I can. For me, walking backwards down steps (like at the Cenotaph) would be a nightmare. Steps are a nightmare for me as is the simple thing of getting in and out of a bathtub. Concessions are just being made to make things easier on the Queen when it comes to the Remembrance Service. She still will be there representing her people.

Another aspect of all this that warms my heart is the fact that even though Philip has actively retired from public duties, nothing would be said or thought of something being amiss should the DoE not even attend the ceremony. As it was stated that all of this came about because the DoE *wants* to be there, that, to me, shows more sentiment and respect for those that have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country than if Philip had laid a wreath himself. The Queen, ever mindful of the man at her side for 70 years, wants to stand side by side with him this year and to me, that speaks volumes.

Charles may lay the Queen's wreath for her but there is no doubt in my mind that this elderly couple, wherever they stand, will reflect the country's deep respect and appreciation to the men and women that have fallen and given the ultimate sacrifice to keep our world the place it is.

The Remembrance Service this year may be a bit different but nothing is going to detract meaning from it.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Serene Highness

One more fact:
Quote:
Charles has laid a wreath before on behalf of the Queen, in 1983 when she was out of the country, and when the monarch was in South Africa in 1999 she laid a wreath at the Cenotaph in Durban.
From DM
Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Courtier

The explanation that she wants to stand in balcony bcos DoE is there, I don't buy that. So tomorrow if the DoE is not able to attend Trooping, will she sit in BP without going? No. I think it's mostly bcos of the steps issue. Or to make Charles more high profile.
And note the safety-netting that BRF always does... This may be changed next year. So if public opinion wavers anytime then HM can once again jump into centre-stage
Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
if the DoE is not able to attend Trooping, will she sit in BP without going?
'Trooping' is in the warmth of June, whilst Remembrance Sunday in November is often BITTERLY cold and rainy. It does make sense to me that this elderly and devoted couple want to be together at a deeply meaningful occasion for both of them. They will be aware that they may not be together for it for very many years...
Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally, I don't think public opinion has any bearing on what HM does or does not do. She always has been one that feels that her public needs to see her to be believed. There may be multiple factions on why she's opting to stand on a balcony this year but, to be honest, its not something that will be explained to the public. Remember the motto: Never complain, never explain.

All the reasons that you stated though, vkrish, make perfect sense to me.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
The explanation that she wants to stand in balcony bcos DoE is there, I don't buy that. So tomorrow if the DoE is not able to attend Trooping, will she sit in BP without going? No. I think it's mostly bcos of the steps issue. Or to make Charles more high profile.
And note the safety-netting that BRF always does... This may be changed next year. So if public opinion wavers anytime then HM can once again jump into centre-stage
Intereting perspective. I didn't see it that way. She has never said or indicated that she wouldn't do certain things because the duke couldn't be present (quite the contrary) - moreover, there is quite a difference between 'not going' and attending in a different way (remember that several family members watch from the balcony, I am sure they consider it as a ceremony they attend).

As the duke expressed his desire to join her to this remembrance ceremony but standing and laying a wrath would be too much for him, the queen has decided to accompany him (a few days before their 70th wedding anniversary!) instead of struggling through it herself. If the duke would not be able to join at all next year, the situation would be different, so the queen might reconsider. I do think both aspects (the presence of the duke on the balcony and her own health) have been taken into account in this decision.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Why wouldn't she want to stand with her husband. They are the few, those left who lived through WWII and those who served, she in the ATS and he in the Royal Navy. This is their Remembrance and hardly surprising they plan to spend it together.

I am with those who believe that they are not just The Queen and her Consort representing their contemporaries, but rather "the few" who should also get the chance to remember in their own way, the way the rest of 'the few" get to do it. But they will never be in wheelchairs all rugged up against the biting November weather. They have forestalled this eventuality and are doing it their way. More power to both of them!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Majesty/Joe Little‏ @MajestyMagazine
The royal party for this Saturday's @PoppyLegion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.
https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...53920037261312
Quote:
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
The Duchess of Cambridge
The Duke of York
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Lady Ogilvy
Old 11-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Gentry

Wonderful! I always look forward to this event, and what a great turn-out.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Majesty/Joe Little‏ @MajestyMagazine
The royal party for this Saturday's @PoppyLegion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.
https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...53920037261312
Interesting, no William and no Harry.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

The fact that Kate is attending without William suggest William will be at a different engagement that conflicts with the Royal Albert Hall event. Harry has never gone to this particular event so him not going again isn’t surprising
Old 11-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

It has puzzled me on why Harry never attended, when he served two tours of duty in Afghanistan.

William probably have another event to attend that day. I’m sure he’ll be back for Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Interesting, no William and no Harry.
The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will both attend rugby matches on Saturday 11 November, William in Cardiff and Harry in London.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...03908441313280
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...04009897365504
Old 11-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Majesty

I notice there are 2 performances. Do the royals attend the afternoon or evening performance at royal albert?

If its the evening its a tad disappointing Harry is not attending. The evening event doesn't start until 7. Rugby should be over by 5:00 or so. I would be nice to see him starting to attend, as a former veteran.

But at least there is a good turn out of senior royals.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I notice there are 2 performances. Do the royals attend the afternoon or evening performance at royal albert?

If its the evening its a tad disappointing Harry is not attending. The evening event doesn't start until 7. Rugby should be over by 5:00 or so. I would be nice to see him starting to attend, as a former veteran.

But at least there is a good turn out of senior royals.
The princes will be at rugby matches in an official capacity. It means handshakes, chats, speeches, etc. after the game.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Prince Harry at the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey today, November 9:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

** dailymail: Prince Harry visits Westminster Abbey's Field of Remembrance to lay one of 70,000 wooden crosses in memory of fallen heroes **

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day