The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will view Remembrance Sunday from the balcony.

@RoyalReporter
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will view this year's Remembrance service at the Cenotaph from a balcony, Buckingham Palace says.

UPDATE:

I have noticed that this is being discussed in several threads so have alerted moderators and I think it should be in this thread as it's not an event.

I'm intrigued by this decision, it's not based on the DOE health because HM can do it on her own and Philip can be on the balcony. It is very clearly a passing of the baton, without actually passing it.
It certainly fits with some of the things said about the "shake up in royal staff" and that Charles wanted to be seen more at key events. Here the Queen will still be present but Charles will be laying the wreath for her, a change without anyone not being there.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

a nice graceful transition ... and one born in practicality; that was a long time for her to stand.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Royal Highness

Personally I wish we could have a nice clean succession, not a lingering sinking like a great ship settling into the depths with excruciating graduality.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I disagree. For a woman that has dedicated her entire adult life to service and duty to crown and country, I think doing things the way they are now does a lot to let HM know that when the time comes that her job is done, she has seen with her own eyes that the monarchy that she holds so dear to her heart will be in good hands. That, IMO, is peace of mind.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Her big job is to help set up the next reign. She’s making sure the transition is done smoothly.

With all the anxiety being expressed by veteran royal watchers, press and people on Charles’s future kingship, I think it’s good The Queen is allowing everyone see how things are going to be once he ascends the throne.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Nobility

If she would abdicate she would be better able to see that the monarchy is in good hands with the new king. So, there are more solutions to avoid the 'lingering sinking' that Wyevale described than keeping strong/not giving in to (very logical) ailments that come with her age. Handing over the reins would be another one.

Makes me think of queen Juliana: she wasn't seen because of dementia for the last 7 years of her life; glad that she decided to abdicate (much earlier in her case) as it would be an awkward situation to have a monarch that is not seen at all and unable to recognize what role she has. Of course, that is by far not the case with the queen -who is clearly of sound mind- but the stance of 'no abdication no matter what' is probably not the most healthy one either.

Not that I would want the queen to abdicate against her own conscience but if she would wish to see that the monarchy is in good hands with the next generation, abdication is the most obvious solution, or alternatively, a regency for the Prince of Wales if abdication is out of the question.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Personally I wish we could have a nice clean succession, not a lingering sinking like a great ship settling into the depths with excruciating graduality.
That is a interesting description. I don't view Her Majesty as a sinking ship, more like a ship that is docked.
I still don't see the Queen abdicating, just gradually giving more responsibility to Charles and William. I feel like the Queen would feel like she had abandoned her commitment if she abdicated. I don't see a Regency unless she believes her mind is beginning to fail.
I also think living through her uncle's abdication influences her strong feelings about abdication.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

A very interesting development as QEII and DoE begin their transition to leaving more with the PoW.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Are people really surprised by this? She's 91.

1. This hasn't anything to do with Charles.

2. Philip wanted to be on the balcony, the Queen then decided to be there with him.

3. And as Alastair Bruce said on Sky News: ''The requirement was that she should take a pretty heavy wreath, go up a number of steps, lay it in precisely the right place, walk backwards down some steps. She's done that for over 60 years, but perhaps now she's 91, its much more dignified to have her up in the balcony watching the event. And the Prince of Wales who is a young man by comparison, is perfect to do the job.''

4. She's in excellent health and will have a bunch of engagements - starting tomorrow.

5. Article from Sky News:
Queen to skip Cenotaph wreath laying on Remembrance Sunday
Quote:
Buckingham Palace said this year's arrangements may not necessarily be the same for next year's service.

On Tuesday, the Queen flew back from Scotland after spending the summer in Balmoral.

A spokeswoman said her diary is almost exactly the same pace as at this time last year.
6. And I don't think wyevale meant that HM was a sinking ship or that he wanted her to abdicate, because he wrote this in the abdication thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
There is no EARTHLY reason HMQ would abdicate, as [should 'it all become TOO much' for her], the Regency act exists to relieve her of the 'day to day' burden, whilst technically keeping her 'my WHOLE life' vow and her Coronation OATH to her peoples.
Such a deeply religious Woman will not break an oath made 'before God'.
7. And for the 100000th time, the Queen can't/won't abdicate, because that would be disastrous for the monarchy.

8. And this isn't Queen Juliana, this is the most popular/iconic/famous head of state in the world, head of state of 16 countries and the figurehead of two billion people.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

1. This hasn't anything to do with Charles.

2. Philip wanted to be on the balcony, the Queen then decided to be there with him.

3. And as Alastair Bruce said on Sky News: ''The requirement was that she should take a pretty heavy wreath, go up a number of steps, lay it in precisely the right place, walk backwards down some steps. She's done that for over 60 years, but perhaps now she's 91, its much more dignified to have her up in the balcony watching the event. And the Prince of Wales who is a young man by comparison, is perfect to do the job.''

4. She's in excellent health and will have a bunch of engagements - starting tomorrow.
This. People forget the Queen is in her 90's and Philip is in his mid-90's. To expect the same-same each year is ridiculous. The Queen comes across as practical - if she isn't able to fulfil a duty, she will pass it to her heir, Charles. I think it's a wise decision from both the Queen and Duke.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Gentry

Sad as this may be, it absolutely makes sense. HM and the DoE have managed walking backwards down the steps of the cenotaph, after laying their wreaths, without incident until now - just imagine if either of them stumbled or even fell? At their age? A fracture could easily result.
They have done so with dignity and agility - and may I say, at times with more stability than the PoW!
We will have to face more of these changes in the future unfortunately, but I don't think we should read too much into it re. abdication etc etc
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Makes sense, of course, but I was wondering if there is a more pertinent reason, like Philip's health. Anyone know?
Or have an educated guess?
I think it is just an acknowledgment that Philip and the Queen have reached very advanced ages and ceremonial standing & walking have become more difficult.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
A very interesting development as QEII and DoE begin their transition to leaving more with the PoW.
I wouldn't say that they begin their transition. The transition has been underway for quite some time. For example, the prince of Wales has been representing the Queen at the Commonwealth meetings and in general, the queen and duke of Edinburgh haven't done foreign trips for several years. Furthermore, the queen has reduced her number of work days (spending more time at Windsor and less at Buckingham Palace) which is also part of reducing her workload. This is just another visible sign that she is also starting to give up some of the very high profile activities in the UK itself.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

Which was not a necessity as their are multiple other family members.

Quote:
This makes sense and the combination of the activity (and of course the queen wants to do it with perfection if she does it) and Philip's preference for the balcony make it a very logical decision.

Quote:
For her age.

Quote:
6. And I don't think wyevale meant that HM was a sinking ship or that he wanted her to abdicate, because he wrote this in the abdication thread:

7. And for the 100000th time, the Queen can't/won't abdicate, because that would be disastrous for the monarchy.

8. And this isn't Queen Juliana, this is the most popular/iconic/famous head of state in the world, head of state of 16 countries and the figurehead of two billion people.
I truly don't see how an abdication would be disastrous for the monarchy. It wasn't disastrous for the pope/catholic church nor does it seem to be disastrous for the emperor of Japan (although not everyone likes his decision)! So, the Queen CAN abdicate but she will surely not do so...

And I gave the example of Juliana to share a situation in which I would think that abdicating would be wiser than not abdicating: if someone is not able to think or speak coherently (royals are not exempt from dementia, coma, a stroke, etc.) an abdication makes way more sense than holding on to the throne just for the sake of it - although if a situation like that occurs unexpectedly, I don't know what the procedure would be. A regency in my book should be a temporary solution not a permanent one. Nonetheless, I hope that the queen is able to fulfil her duty until the end as that is clearly her wish.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Majesty

If the Queen was in coma, had dementia etc then it would be a regency situation as she would not be in a fit mental state to sign the abdication documents.

That is why there was 10 years of Regency for George III.

That's my understanding of the current legal situation but that could change if via an Act of Parliament.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
More likely mobility issues w/ her majesty, but it could just be part of the slow handover of duties to P. Charles.
I've read the responses, so I know the general trending in them. You are the sole poster to mention mobility for HM and that has been something I have been wondering about given what I see in pictures (having seen such up close myself with older relations). Is it generally acknowledged that HM is becoming infirm in that way? Just wondering.

I did see the caveat given that HM is in excellent health 'for her age'. There is room for a lot of interpretation in that caveat. Just wondering. It must be very difficult times for Charles, and Anne (I would think), as well as the other siblings, and now William, etc.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen no longer climbs up and down the narrow steps of St George's during the Garter ceremony and hasn't for some time.

I don't regard this as the inevitable first step to a regency situation but that of a very old lady of 91 who would rather not stand about in the cold, carry a quite heavy wreath, or more importantly, IMHO, bend down to lay it then back down steps in the mark of respect after the wreath laying. She's 91 years old and if she feels that she would be a bit unsure of her footing in doing that then that's her perogative surely!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I've read the responses, so I know the general trending in them. You are the sole poster to mention mobility for HM and that has been something I have been wondering about given what I see in pictures (having seen such up close myself with older relations). Is it generally acknowledged that HM is becoming infirm in that way? Just wondering.

I did see the caveat given that HM is in excellent health 'for her age'. There is room for a lot of interpretation in that caveat. Just wondering. It must be very difficult times for Charles, and Anne (I would think), as well as the other siblings, and now William, etc.
The Queen and Philip are in great shape for their ages, but reality is they are in their 90s. You physically do not have the stamina, flexibility, stability to do everything you always did. That doesn't mean she is "infirm."
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Is it generally acknowledged that HM is becoming infirm in that way?
Depends what you think are serious mobility issues. The Queen, apparently, has knee problems.
However, she was riding her pony a few weeks ago and a couple of days ago she was photographed climbing up airplane steps alone, with no one hovering around her. So, my guess is she’s doing fine for everyday things and better than some people 20 years younger I know.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The Queen and Philip are in great shape for their ages, but reality is they are in their 90s. You physically do not have the stamina, flexibility, stability to do everything you always did. That doesn't mean she is "infirm."
Not here to step on anyone's toes. One can be infirm and be in one's 20's and 30's. I have had such happen to me after a bout of unwise physical exertion in the desert one summer. Yikes! Yes, I was infirm for several weeks. Watching HM with a certain eye she does look to be on a certain trajectory, but 'for her age' is doing well. 'Nuf said.

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day