The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #701  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:16 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,157
It's live her too
Remembrance Sunday: Queen leads nation in tribute to the fallen - Telegraph
__________________

__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I thought it was very neatly done with the inclusion of the Dutch King.
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.
Then came William, Harry and Prince Andrew laying their wreaths together.
Then the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne and the Duke of Kent laid their wreaths.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...

I wonder when we will be able to get some pictures.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.
When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.



https://www.defensie.nl/english/late...h-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I thought it was very neatly done with the inclusion of the Dutch King.
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.
Then came William, Harry and Prince Andrew laying their wreaths together.
Then the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne and the Duke of Kent laid their wreaths.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...
Yes, it was very neatly done and Jeremy Corbyn song the national anthem.
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 6,139
Mail online is good for pictures

Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph to mark Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,645
Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph to mark Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online

Some pictures in here
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I thought it was very neatly done with the inclusion of the Dutch King.
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.
Then came William, Harry and Prince Andrew laying their wreaths together.
Then the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne and the Duke of Kent laid their wreaths.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...
Exactly. I agree with it all! And a huge sigh on the politicians. Would it have hurt them to walk beside each other?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.



https://www.defensie.nl/english/late...h-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.
Ah, thank you very much, I did not know that! :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,645
I guess it was a good thing that Charles and Camilla were in NZ and so Maxima could take Camilla's spot on the balcony otherwise somebody would have had to move elsewhere. Also I suspect that next year the same format will be used with the royals laying their wreaths in groups but with the Queen laying hers first, then Philip by himself then Charles by himself, then William Harry and Andrew in a group followed by Anne Edward and The Duke of Kent in a group.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yes, it was very neatly done and Jeremy Corbyn song the national anthem.
but didn't bother to bow properly
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 6,139
Joe Little/Majesty @MajestyMagazine
The message on the wreath laid by King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands at the Cenotaph. #RemembranceSunday

https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...17480635518976
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 AM
JR76's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Exactly. I agree with it all! And a huge sigh on the politicians. Would it have hurt them to walk beside each other?

It would've been a great touch to lay aside party politics for a few seconds and show they were there representing the people not their parties or even themselves. Would've been the same in Sweden - a kindergarten shows more maturity than the Riksdag these days... and then people question why I'm a royalist...


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,645
If you watch everybody laying their wreaths, apart from the Queen, King of the Netherlands and Philip everybody else bar the politicians lay theirs in groups. The rest of the RF, heads of the military, the High Commissioners of Commonwealth countries. IMO it made the politicians looks what they are....petty and childish.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
It would've been a great touch to lay aside party politics for a few seconds and show they were there representing the people not their parties or even themselves. Would've been the same in Sweden - a kindergarten shows more maturity than the Riksdag these days... and then people question why I'm a royalist...


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. At moments like these they should just suck it up to be frank.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 6,139
Joe Little/Majesty @MajestyMagazine
The Duke of Cambridge is now taking the salute at the march-past on Horse Guards. #RemembranceSunday

https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...23020279324677
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 11-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The Royal family at the Albert Hall |kapenot88 | ru_royalty

It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael making an appearance alongside the royal family.
The Michaels of Kent always attend this event. I didn't see Princess Alexandra last night though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 11-08-2015, 08:18 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
but didn't bother to bow properly
The fail have noticed it.

Corbyn's anti-war tribute: Labour leader to read Wilfred Owen poem 'Futility' at memorial after Cenotaph ceremony | Daily Mail Online
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 11-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,476
Queen Maxima is the best dressed by a mile as I knew she would be. The hair and hat are immaculate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,636
The King of the Netherlands has worn his uniforms regularly, also after his accession. (Here you see him in a naval uniform, here in an army uniform, etc.) However, King Olav V of Norway also never did attend in uniform, see picture. I think both King Olav (known as a lover of military wear) as well King Willem-Alexander choose to keep it a British (and Commonwealth) Remembrance indeed.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
antony armstrong-jones birthday books carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess elisabeth crown princess mary crown princess victoria crown princess victoria daytime fashion current events denmark duke of edinburgh earl of snowdon family general news grand duchess maria teresa grand duke jean guillaume hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news noice official visit prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria prince william pyrmont queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia queen sofia shaikh zayed bin hamdan bin zayed al nahyan state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family tiara uae wildlife victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises