Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Wessex pictures this evening ?

No Wessex pictures this evening ?
Picture here of them arriving.

British Royals Attend Festival of Remembrance 2017 | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

Pictures of a few others:

Anne and Tim

http://www.gettyimages.de/license/872919264

Duke of Kent

http://www.gettyimages.de/license/872918258

Alexandra
http://www.gettyimages.de/license/872918952

I assume Edward and Sophie were likely behind Charles and Camilla which is why we don't see them on the balcony. There is Charles in the very edge of photos, but no pictures of Camilla. I'd think Edward and Sophie are next to Anne and Tim in the second row.

Last edited:
Do we know what Royal is taking the salute at Horse Guards after the wreath laying?

“Represents Kensington Palace alone”...what a joke. The Gloucester’s, Alexandra and Duke of Kent were there who I’m sure all live at Kensington Palace. I understand that BP covers their work but they still live at KP.

Alexandra lives at St. James's Palace when in London.

Do we know what Royal is taking the salute at Horse Guards after the wreath laying?

The Earl of Wessex will later take the Salute at the March Past of Veteran and Civilian Organisations on Horse Guards Parade

Queen will not lay a wreath at Remembrance Sunday ceremony

I assume Edward and Sophie were likely behind Charles and Camilla which is why we don't see them on the balcony. There is Charles in the very edge of photos, but no pictures of Camilla. I'd think Edward and Sophie are next to Anne and Tim in the second row.

Yes, you can see the seating in this photo. Camilla and Sophie on the right were totally cut of from all photos.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ix2qid3b...WMjDsYiuFG14kA8xA6VYJACLcBGAs/s1600/rg551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Festival of Remembrance was perfect as ever, but it was a long seat to watch. I would recommend to shorten it, to make it less swollen and pompous and let the youth be more involved. Also the very thick sauce of the Church of England over the proceedings maybe is food for thought.

The UK is one of the most secularized states in Europe, the population is more multi-ethnic and multi-religious (or not religious at all) as ever before. Then rasing a "battlefield altar" in Albert Hall and singing the one Christian hymn after the other with an Anglican bishop in full ornate saying prayers and give a blessing looks like the Remembrance is stil in modus 1958.

What about Her Majesty's most loyal servicewomen and -men who are Sikh, Hindu, agnostic, Muslim, purely secular, Catholic, Humanist or whatever? I hope that the festival -as perfect and spotless the execution was- will find a more inclusive formula.

Galleries from this morning

Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2017/11/12/remembrance_service,_london?folder=Remembrance Day

Queen Elizabeth. What memories can she have.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/nintchdbpict000366406621.jpg?strip=all&w=711
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/12/11/4643B69D00000578-5074463-image-a-134_1510485716492.jpg

Prince Charles attends the Welsh Guards' Remembrance Sunday service at Guards Chapel on November 12, in London. The Prince of Wales has been the Colonel of the Welsh Guards since 1975.

Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarence House‏Verified account @ClarenceHouse 5m5 minutes ago

The Prince of Wales lays a wreath on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning. We will remember them. #RemembranceSunday
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DObZasgWsAAbIt2.jpg

We will remember them: Kate, Queen and Theresa May pay tribute as Prince Charles lays Cenotaph wreath for the first time while Britain falls silent to remember our war dead

• Charles led out the royals on Remembrance Sunday as he laid the head of state's wreath for the first time
  • He was joined on Whitehall by Prince William, Harry and Andrew as they also laid tributes to Britain's war dead
  • The Queen and newly-retired Prince Philip watched proceeding from a balcony of the Foreign Office
  • Also watching from a balcony was the Duchess of Cambridge alongside Sophie, Countess of Wessex
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5074463/Britain-honours-war-dead-Remembrance-Sunday.html

Last edited:
Prince Philip really looked frail and leaned up against the wall a lot. Must’ve been cold too. Everyone got a glimpse of what it will look like when King Charles lead the nation at the Cenotaph.

Whilst it was potentially a big change in the fact the Queen did not lay her own wreath it was in many ways as if very little had changed, the same number of wreaths were laid down, the same people as normal present. As expected the Queen, Philip and Camilla took the centre balcony, Alexandra Catherine and Sophie on another, the Gloucesters and Tim Laurence on the other. I have to say, and I know its not the thread for a long discussion about it but Philip did seem really old for, IMO the first time. I completely understood why he wasn't laying his own wreath.

BBC article with video:
Remembrance Sunday: UK events mark the nation's war dead - BBC News
Politicians, members of the Royal Family and veterans are commemorating those who lost their lives in conflict as the UK marks Remembrance Sunday.

A two-minute silence was held across the country and wreaths were laid at memorials.

Prince Charles attended the annual ceremony at the Cenotaph in London and Big Ben chimed at 11:00 GMT.

The Queen did not lay a wreath but instead watched from the Foreign Office's balcony.

The only other occasions when she has not laid the wreath were when she was pregnant or abroad.

ITV article:
Prince Charles lays Queen's wreath at Remembrance Sunday service - ITV News
Prince Charles has laid the Queen's wreath at a Remembrance Sunday service today, as he led the service in what is a break in Royal tradition.

It is thought to be the first time the monarch has not performed the symbolic duty when present at the Whitehall Cenotaph service, and is being seen as an example of the subtle shift of head of state duties from the Queen to the heir to the throne.

Article from ITV's Royal Editor Chris Ship:
Today's Remembrance marks significant moment in Royal family's history - ITV News
Never before in her long reign has the Queen come to the Cenotaph on Whitehall and not walked up the stone steps of the Cenotaph to place a wreath.

She has missed the ceremony before.

She was absent when pregnant and when overseas tours took her somewhere else.

But today she will lead the service from a balcony overlooking Whitehall.

It’s a position her own mother used to use.

Today, as the Queen Mother once did, the Queen will watch as members of her family lay their wreaths.

The Queen’s will be laid on her behalf by her son, the Prince of Wales.

Given the length of the service on an often cold November morning, and the steps which have to be navigated backwards, it will be a surprise to many that the 91 year old Monarch did not decide to do this many years before.

ITN video:
The Prince of Wales has led the nation in honouring the country's war dead on Remembrance Sunday, as the Queen observed the service from a balcony. The Queen asked Charles to lay her wreath at the Cenotaph, in what is believed to be the first time the monarch has broken with tradition and not performed the symbolic duty when at the Whitehall service.
https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...ads-remembrance-sunday-commemoration?type=raw

Sky News article with video:
https://news.sky.com/story/remembrance-sunday-uk-falls-silent-to-honour-war-dead-11123476
The Queen watched on for the first time in her 65-year reign as Prince Charles led Remembrance Sunday commemorations at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

In a break with tradition, Prince Charles laid the head of state's wreath at the base of the monument shortly after a two-minute silence at 11am.

The Queen stood with the Duke of Edinburgh and Duchess of Cornwall on a Foreign Office balcony to observe the silence and watch the service.

The change of protocol is seen as one of the Queen's most significant handovers of Royal responsibilities to the heir to the throne.

Telegraph article with video:
Remembrance Sunday: Queen watches Whitehall service from balcony for first time as Prince Charles lays her wreath
The Prince of Wales has led the nation in honouring the country's war dead on Remembrance Sunday, as the Queen observed the service from a balcony.

The Queen asked Charles to lay her wreath at the Cenotaph, in the first time the monarch has broken with tradition and not performed the symbolic duty while in attendance at the Whitehall service.

A two-minute silence took place at 11am and wreaths were laid at the foot of the Whitehall memorial by senior royals and political leaders including Prime Minister Theresa May and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Last edited:
Compared to the photos of the Albert Hall event last night I do think Prince Philip looked 'frail' today but I am hoping it was just his attitude for three reasons - it would have been cold, I expect he felt sad that he wasn't laying a wreath and the event itself - it's a solemn occasion. That really is my hope anyway!

In London today the cold is best described as 'perishing'...I also hope that is the reason the DoE looked quite so frail.

Thank you everyone for sharing these wonderful pictures. It is a concern though about DoE as we all ponder “how is he really”.

Just by reading things that have been posted here, one thing we know is that the DoE is not idly sitting in front of a fire day in and day out. He's been out and active carriage driving, attending meetings and appearing at the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph. If you ask me, I think Philip is doing remarkably well for a person approaching his 97th birthday next June.

Age always will take its toll on the body but one thing we can be assured of is that Philip will always be the sort of person that will live his life to the fullest as well and as long as he can. You just can't keep a good man down. :D

Just by reading things that have been posted here, one thing we know is that the DoE is not idly sitting in front of a fire day in and day out. He's been out and active carriage driving, attending meetings and appearing at the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph. If you ask me, I think Philip is doing remarkably well for a person approaching his 97th birthday next June.

Age always will take its toll on the body but one thing we can be assured of is that Philip will always be the sort of person that will live his life to the fullest as well and as long as he can. You just can't keep a good man down. :D

Hear, hear!

He was driving a team of horses a week ago and that takes some strength. So he can't be too frail.

LaRae

I don't think there was anything on show today that wasn't just old age. I brought up about him looking older not because of some worry he was about to keal over but more because I haven't seen pics of him for sometime. Also, after all the talk about the Queen not laying a wreath etx today, seeing them both standing watching the parade on the first very cold day of the season made me realise fully all the talk about changes to the normal routine were based around trying to accommodate two people older than any of my grandparents who wouldn't willingly go out into the cold and be walking backwards down steps! Philip is likely in as good a health, if not better than, than can be expected for someone of his age.

On a separate note, did the BBC not show the arrival of the Queen into the Royal Box at the Festival of Remembrance? Don't they usually? I caught the first bit of the BBC broadcast and it seemed off to me, I thought they usually showed the Queen entering the Royal Box but I could be wrong.

I thought they usually showed the Queen entering the Royal Box but I could be wrong.

I think it is on public record that HMQ has had some difficulty with stairs for a while. So not showing her on them, may now be [sensible]policy ?

Theater stairs are particularly tricky because there isn’t handrail a lot of places and the angle can be quite steep.

the angle can be quite steep

Obviously I don't know about those in the Royal Box [!] but the steps into the auditorium at the Albert Hall ARE vertiginous...

Thank you for all the photos :flowers:

What a change for the queen not being involved. I know she has missed, but only when pregnant or over seas. It must be so different watching. But it is certainly understandable considering her age. And seeing it pass on to Charles is a nice transition. She was certainly emotional on the balcony.

Was Anne there? Tim was but I didn't see Anne :ermm:

Philip was looking frail but good for in his mid 90's. Coming down to London and all the activity of two days, and the weather may just have got to him. I am relieved to have seen photos of him carriage driving and know he is still quite active and lively. Sometimes days just catch up with you at that age.

Here's a video from Todays Annual wreath-laying ceremony at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what uniform/coat was Prince William and Prince Charles wearing?
Also, Harry's?
Princess Alexandra looks wonderful to me, last night and today. I didn't realize she was so short, shorter than Sophie.

Back
Top Bottom