Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is so good with the public and of course the military will always be his forte ...I'm thinking he's always going to be the point man for these types of events.

Reminds me more and more of the DoE all time.

LaRae

He is so good with the public and of course the military will always be his forte ...I'm thinking he's always going to be the point man for these types of events.

Reminds me more and more of the DoE all time.

LaRae

Couldn’t agree more Pranter. You feel pride just watching him.

Harry just does so well at these events. He maintains gravitas when he has to, then chats and jokes with the vets and other attendees young and old with such ease. Returning the salute of that little boy was very sweet. Even the bulldog mascot got a pat. Plus he looks good in the uniform!

I've yet to see a man who isn't improved when wearing a uniform!

He's got what his mother had and he's been thru enough of his own struggles so he has empathy. It comes across that he's not just there because he *has* to be.

LaRae

By the way, can anybody please tell me what the signicance is of those lappet thingummies that are down the front of Harry's Blues and Royals uniform?

At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.

Is it true that William and Harry are skipping the Festival of Remembrance tonight? I thought that this year of all years every member of the family would attend as it's also falling on Armistice Day.

Personally, I really don't see it being a big deal should Harry miss the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert. Why? Because just by his actions and his dedication to military personnel year round shows that his fellow servicemen and women are never far from his mind. He doesn't have to attend a evening festival to remember those that have fallen.

The Festival of Rememebrance doesn’t seem to be a mandatory engagement. Both William and Harry will be in attendance tomorrow and aren’t the first royals to miss. Plus, they’re doing engagements with their patronages so I don’t so a problem.

I would also like to say that most of the men in the royal family have a deep respect for the military and have served. I don’t think William or Harry are any more dedicated than the rest nor does Harry serving in Afghanistan make him more qualified to attend or not than others. I think it’s only a big deal because both princes are popular and it’s click-bait to some extent.

No I think they should be there. If you argue that they show respect for the armed services all year round etc, etc so they don't need to go then you could say the same for the Queen and the rest of the family too. The senior royals always clear their diaries for this weekend and would only miss the festival for very good reason. Attending a rugby match is not one even if in an official capacity.

No I think they should be there. If you argue that they show respect for the armed services all year round etc, etc so they don't need to go then you could say the same for the Queen and the rest of the family too. The senior royals always clear their diaries for this weekend and would only miss the festival for very good reason. Attending a rugby match is not one even if in an official capacity.

I could see that argument for William since he’s attended before but not for Harry who hasn’t. Still, all the senior royals are attending particularly the “full-timers”. The only reason I can imagine William not attending is because of his patronage needing his attendance for whatever reason. I can’t imagine the Queen wouldn’t demand his attendance in this case if she felt it was mandatory. I do agree that it may not look the best but he’s not skipping for personal or frivolous reasons.

Had it been any other week end I doubt we’d be discussing this I don’t deny them the pleasure of a football game nor question their dedication to their patronages but visually I think it just looks bad. I would have went. A picture says a thousand words and comments are a coming...

Last year, Harry went to the Rugby and didn't go to the Festival (never been). The media did not complain. In fact they were quite chirpy because Charlene was there.

This year the media have changed their minds and its a bad thing.

I think the difference is that William has gone before and so seems to be missing it this year to go to a rugby match. Harry is slightly different as he has never attended before so it doesn't look so much like he is "missing" it to go elsewhere. In the past Royals have of course missed it but usually when they are on an overseas visit and then they attend remembrance events locally.
TBH I don't think its the end of the world William isn't going (the Queen and Prince of Wales as sovereign and heir will be there) but knowing how the media and some people perceive him and him not attending it is rather an own goal IMO. At the end of the day going to the rugby instead of the festival of remembrance is likely to bring bad headlines whereas missing the rugby to go to the festival of remembrance would likely own bring good headlines so its just a bit dumb IMO.

:previous: Sometimes, I think Express writers must be forced to suck on a wedge of lemon as they write up reports on the royals. :lol:

“Represents Kensington Palace alone”...what a joke. The Gloucester’s, Alexandra and Duke of Kent were there who I’m sure all live at Kensington Palace. I understand that BP covers their work but they still live at KP.

:previous: Everything is a joke when it comes to the Express and their now ridiculous coverage of the royal family - they have by far beaten the DF.

The Festival of Remembrance is basically a concert type event.

The princes went to the Rugby.

Which do you think the servicemen would have preferred to go to?

At all the rugby games tonight, in England, Wales, Scotland and France, they have acknowledged remembrance day, worn poppies etc.

Basically they had a choice of what type of entertainment they were going to have after acknowledging remembrance day - either music or sport.

I see no problem with them going to the rugby - certainly where my servicemen and women family members and friends would have gone over a concert and pomp and circumstance.

The fact remains that the southern hemisphere countries tour the northern hemisphere at this time of the year and so this class occurs more often than not.

Harry could have actually done both as they were both in London and his match was the early afternoon match (they set the timings so that the maximum number of the five matches played could be shown live - and I have had a great time watching three matches back-to-back-to-back England defeated Argentina, then the Wallabies defeated Wales and it looks like the All Blacks are going to hold on against France - the other games have been recorded to watch over the rest of the day - Ireland against South Africa and Scotland against Samoa).

Last edited:
If she was smiling, they would be having a go at her for that.

I also don't have an issue with William and Harry attending the rugby game instead; as long as Remembrance Day was acknowledged during the game, which it was, then it shouldn't matter what event they attended. Given Harry's own military background, I hardly believe that he would reject Remembrance Day (nor William).

Kate was glum? Did they expect her to be laughing it up? Idiots.

LaRae

Exactly. What do they expect her do be? Ecstatic? :ermm: Catherine will be criticised for anything by the tabloids these days - and it's not just Catherine who gets this, but other major members of the RF too. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

:previous: In the picture of the guy on her right, he's a laugh riot too. Honestly, it's an event in remembrance of the fallen.

The guy on her right is Prince Andrew.

Back
Top Bottom