Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance Saturday, BBC ONE 9PM UK Time-
Senior members of the royal family will be in attendance.
BBC One - Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance

Alastair Bruce ‏@AlastairBruce_ 1h1 hour ago
On @SkyNews #RemembranceSunday at 10.30am I commentate events at #cenotaph plus #interview with Adm Sir #TimLaurence ViceChairman of @CWGC
WarGravesCommission

Last edited:
I can see Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Alexandra are there as well.

The Festival of Remembrance Starts at 9PM on BBC One.

I'm watching it on Mediahhh.

Anne, Time, Richard, Michael, Princess Michael and Duke of Kent are there as well.

I noticed that some of the royals were wearing a different style poppy from the others; it was smaller and had five petals. Is there a significance or meaning behind it? I know you can get poppy badges in different sizes but I've never seen these ones before so I'm curious.

Live Video Coverage has started on BBC ONE.

The Queen usually wears poppy's with five petals, I've tried googling it but i'm sure someones asked the question before. Time to trawl through the thread :lol:

New hat for Catherine potentially, and i think Edward has a different uniform on this year.
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/797755746167484416

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that some of the royals were wearing a different style poppy from the others; it was smaller and had five petals. Is there a significance or meaning behind it? I know you can get poppy badges in different sizes but I've never seen these ones before so I'm curious.

I did some trawling! A couple of posts on the issue, one of which is my own but i don't think it's quite accurate. :flowers:

The Queen wear's a corsage of five poppies, each with two petals made from different fabrics. No official reason, some say it's for particular people in the war, some say it's for the members of her family she has lost since the war.

This is the essence of monarchy. Those nations who still have monarchical systems basically elevate these 'born royals' to a different sphere to the rest of us. The 'born royal' concept is pretty crucial when it comes time for a new monarch to take the throne; without it, we wouldn't have an hereditary monarchy, as it dictates that when the future Charles III dies it'll be King William V who comes next.

AdmirerUS said:

This is correct, Admirer, but there are a few different options for poppies in the UK. The Scots have their own poppy which is slightly different to that sold in the rest of the UK.

There's also the option of a much larger, more realistic poppy (worn here by Cherie Blair), which you can buy from the RBL but which will cost you more than the regular poppy. Over the years the RBL have started selling miniature poppy lapel pins which are metallic, as well as more 'glitzy' poppies such as that worn by Kate on Sunday. Again, these are more expensive and would be kept year to year. These poppies are handy because the normal paper poppy can become rather battered when taking coats on and off etc.

Oh, also, Camilla wore what appeared to be a large knitted poppy last year. Overall, though, the Queen, Charles, William and Kate etc. often wear a poppy which is slightly different to the basic poppy and is made specially for them by the RBL.

You're wishing you'd never brought this up now, aren't you? ;) Overall, you can wear whatever poppy you want, you could even make your own, as long as you donate to the RBL.

HM the Queen. The perfect head of state. [This weekend, more than ever]...

Attachments

• hmq.jpg
    hmq.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 114
The wonderful thing about the ceremony is that it almost never changes. It's a wonderful example of British understatement and simplicity. The music is outstanding. I defy anyone to listen to the massed bands playing Nimrod by Sir Edward Elgar and not feel tears come to their eyes. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5sX99HODzg

Every year I worry about HM walking backwards down those steps. Every year she does it perfectly.

The wonderful thing about the ceremony is that it almost never changes. It's a wonderful example of British understatement and simplicity. The music is outstanding. I defy anyone to listen to the massed bands playing Nimrod by Sir Edward Elgar and not feel tears come to their eyes. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

Every year I worry about HM walking backwards down those steps. Every year she does it perfectly.

She did a slight stumble today. Prince Philip make sure he turn around to walk down the steps. She won't be able to do it in a while.

I agree, the Cenotaph is a very moving and poignant event. I hope that HM is alright, I just saw a clip of her fall on the news and it didn't look too painful, but still, I hope she wasn't too damaged by it.

I did some trawling! A couple of posts on the issue, one of which is my own but i don't think it's quite accurate. :flowers:

Well, it seems like it was worth trawling! ;) Thank you for taking the time to do so, now it makes sense. I don't think I caught the question last time otherwise I would have remembered the five leaf poppies. I didn't realise you could make your own poppy either, that's interesting. I think the five leaf poppy is quite sweet! I like the knitted ones too but I wear the gemstone kind that Catherine has worn in the past.

Last edited:
:previous: the first video above is not from 2016, it is 2015

No Charles and Camilla and definitely different clothes. ALso David Cameron is there, not Theresa May

:previous: the first video above is not from 2016, it is 2015

No Charles and Camilla and definitely different clothes. ALso David Cameron is there, not Theresa May

For some reason the above video has the 2015 event picture, but if you click on the video, it's 2016 Festival of Remembrance.

:previous: Thanks Dman.

I didn't look at the video as I've seen the whole event already.

Watched both events over at YouTube. I don't like posting in here until I've done that & know what everyone's talking about. :)

Kate joins the Queen and senior royals at the Royal Albert Hall for annual Festival of Remembrance* | Daily Mail Online

I love the song 'You'll Never Walk Alone.' Patti Labelle sings a beautiful version of it.

That's a very very special song to me & I adore it too. Josh Groban & Celtic Women have also sung stunning renditions of it too. I thought Alfie looked seconds away from tears when they showed him after that young lady had read the final stanza of her Poe as this year's Citation. Michael looked so proud of her, I thought buttons might go popping.

I find this ceremony at the Cenotaph such a moving event. Year after year it becomes more poignant.

Remembrance Sunday sees The Queen and world leaders honour the war dead at Cenotaph | Daily Mail Online

And will become even more so over the coming years as our WWII Vets are leaving us at a faster rate. :(

1st, Nimrod is one of my very favourite Classical Music pieces period. I also defy anyone to not get the chills when that beautiful long crescendo reaches it's climax. It really is just a gorgeous piece of Music.

2nd, did you know going downstairs backwards is actually easier on your legs, lower back & joints? We have Summer Friends from Germany, Joachim had noticed Mom was having a harder time of walking & showed it to her. His Dr had recommended it to him to try & keep a Visit to an OR for a Hip Replacement as far off as possible & it really does help. I try to remember to do it, as my knees are...well...BLECH!! Mom's far better at doing it though & could be why HM has been able to go down those steps so easily.

I also saw the stumble & hope she didn't tweak or jar anything too badly. Speaking from experience, it's often what seems like a little thing, that can cause the most trouble w/your knees.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a sense of this last year, the ceremony had an elagiac feel to it.. She slipped last year as she walked backward, recovered well but looked “pained”.
I thought, that’s it.

It's the end of an era..

Another sign of a monarchy in transition. To be honest, I think its something the Queen is very proud to do. In a way, she's going to be able to see her first born son doing more and more and in a way, getting a glimpse of the sort of King he will be. It will definitely be a bittersweet moment for both parents.

Back
Top Bottom