Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The royal ladies seem to have had a good chat together. I guess Maxima would know Sophie fairly well since the Wessexes represent the BRF at foreign royal events so much. Maybe pleasant encounters like this will spark an interest for William and Kate in getting to know their foreign counterparts a little better? Especially couples like Victoria and Daniel, who are so close to W and K in age, age of children, etc.

I always feel sorry for Sir Tim Laurence when he is always relegated to the balcony with the spouses. Afterall, he has had a distinguished career in the Navy rising to the rank of Vice-admiral....which in the U.S. at least is a pretty high rank to achieve. I know Anne and even Edward are "colonel in chief" or something but those titles are honorary since Anne never served in the military and Edward didn't fulfill his enlistment obligation. At least Tim's title is earned through actual service. He always looks so quiet and dignified but I get the impression that the royals really don't know what to do with him so they stick him with the spouses. Seems like a subtle insult to me.

Agree.
I also think it looks like Tim has been demoted and forced to join the sideline with the women. A man needs to join the group so that Tim does not stand out or they should give him an honorary 'colonel in chief' so that he can join the men and place his own wreath.

To be honest, I see nothing wrong with how things played out and I imagine that Tim would be the last one to complain. Although he is married to the Princess Royal, he, himself, is not royal nor is he working for the Firm.

Giving him a honorary colonel-in-chief position is outside of the box on how things work and I just don't see it happening.

I don't think Tim would ever complain. As I mentioned, he is always quiet and dignified. But as far as him being royal and therefore exempt from being able to participate in the ceremony, many people who are not royal laid wreaths.

I don't think Tim would ever complain. As I mentioned, he is always quiet and dignified. But as far as him being royal and therefore exempt from being able to participate in the ceremony, many people who are not royal laid wreaths.
Yes, but they lay them in the name of others. In the name of a country and in the name of a branch of military, in the name of their political affiliance etc. The queen does in the name of her country.

I always feel sorry for Sir Tim Laurence when he is always relegated to the balcony with the spouses. Afterall, he has had a distinguished career in the Navy rising to the rank of Vice-admiral....which in the U.S. at least is a pretty high rank to achieve. I know Anne and even Edward are "colonel in chief" or something but those titles are honorary since Anne never served in the military and Edward didn't fulfill his enlistment obligation. At least Tim's title is earned through actual service. He always looks so quiet and dignified but I get the impression that the royals really don't know what to do with him so they stick him with the spouses. Seems like a subtle insult to me.

He's with the spouses because he's the husband of the Princess Royal. No reason for him to be treated any differently, and it's hardly an insult to treat him the same way others who marry into the family are treated.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

He's with the spouses because he's the husband of the Princess Royal. No reason for him to be treated any differently, and it's hardly an insult to treat him the same way others who marry into the family are treated.

I agree. It's not like his manlihood is bruised or anything :p

QEII's posture is very quickly changing, which at her age is not alarming. Let's hope her health will be strong for many years to come.

I'm still seeing pics of her riding, one just recently. When she quits riding you'll know something has changed/happened.

LaRae

Most of the Royal spouses have a colonel in chief position-Camilla, Sophie, Duchess of Gloucester all have one. But they are all on the balcony too. A honorary military position doesn't mean automatic wreath laying.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Agree.
I also think it looks like Tim has been demoted and forced to join the sideline with the women. A man needs to join the group so that Tim does not stand out or they should give him an honorary 'colonel in chief' so that he can join the men and place his own wreath.

It's a sad world when people still think that standing with "the women" is a demotion.
He has done this for years - as have other men. I think they look proud up there in the balcony - to honor those who gave their lives.
2009 http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/92895644-sophie-countess-of-wessex-hrh-prince-richard-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXp%2fL8%2fjqoYge7jw9AkhiyGJPleVaEJMWABSIM%2fGerfQyGPbplyyRmJ7L9lYozSGoHg%3d%3d

2007 http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/15...XxlLYKYDHrn71iKpAjgMhUn04IU2zvacaZ+VwHVtVcg==
and
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/77...hIE3odWmciNVRg+HIfrYi+il9nUgekFOZT232MlVKwCs=

and
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/74...9Fw87V3rFRA0vRYEzNTcJixYuiQN2nXMOsbYMy/JyBtY=

Last edited:

Exactly! In a way its unfortunate for Tim that Anne is (apart from the Queen which puts Philip, as consort, in a different position) the only senior female royal born into the royal family attending the service.
When you look at Tim and 'the women' on the balcony we have to remember we are seeing all 4 people (Tim, Sophie, Kate and Camilla) who have married into the RF, while only those who are born royal and Philip lay wreaths at the Cenotaph. Giving Tim any other role would just be unfair to the others who have married into the RF but wouldn't have a role.

1 & 2 The Duke of Gloucester is standing next to his wife.
4 A King and Queen are standing on opposite ends.

3 Tim was in the military his sisters-in-law were not.

Last edited:
Exactly! In a way its unfortunate for Tim that Anne is (apart from the Queen which puts Philip, as consort, in a different position) the only senior female royal born into the royal family attending the service.
When you look at Tim and 'the women' on the balcony we have to remember we are seeing all 4 people (Tim, Sophie, Kate and Camilla) who have married into the RF, while only those who are born royal and Philip lay wreaths at the Cenotaph. Giving Tim any other role would just be unfair to the others who have married into the RF but wouldn't have a role.

Phillip was born royal. His mother was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and one of his grandfathers was the King of Denmark. I, believe, he was born at Windsor Castle. Giving Tim any other role would, also, be sexist. Though he did serve in the military and his wife has not.

Phillip was born royal. His mother was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and one of his grandfathers was the King of Denmark. I, believe, he was born at Windsor Castle. Giving Tim any other role would, also, be sexist. Though he did serve in the military and his wife has not.

Yes, to single out Tim and give him an additional role just because he's a male spouse wouldn't exactly be fair, either. He's up on the balcony with the spouses, as usual, because he's one of the spouses, which is a fact rather than a demotion (in fact, in royal terms, I suppose it could considered a promotion, since the wives are royal, but he isn't.) The fact that Tim is a man and served in the military don't really factor in here, in terms of protocol, since it's those who were born royal who get to lay wreaths. In any event, I think Tim's just fine. It's hardly the only occasion where he's among the spouses and, after nearly 23 years of marriage, I think he's probably accustomed to it by now!

Its such an odd way of thinking. Some people say the same about Harry during Trooping the Colour. He's 'reduced' to riding with the women in the carriage while his father and brother ride on horseback as royal colonels.

Everyone knows how all this works so I don't think Sir Tim feels humiliated standing on the balcony during the Remembrance Service.

Its such an odd way of thinking. Some people say the same about Harry during Trooping the Colour. He's 'reduced' to riding with the women in the carriage while his father and brother ride on horseback as royal colonels.

Everyone knows how all this works so I don't think Sir Tim feels humiliated standing on the balcony during the Remembrance Service.

Something tells me that Harry will be made a Regimental Royal Colonel and will start riding on horseback during the trooping. Since the Duke of Kent no longer rides.

3 Tim was in the military his sisters-in-law were not.

That was my point. Thank you. My comment had nothing to do with male vs. female spouses. It was all about military service which his wife and Edward do not have. The day is about honoring the military veterans among which he is one.

Something tells me that Harry will be made a Regimental Royal Colonel and will start riding on horseback during the trooping. Since the Duke of Kent no longer rides.

Neither does the Duke of Edinburgh.

The Duke of Kent is a working royal and puts in more events than Harry, he was in the Army for over 20 yrs and is a Field Marshall as well as Colonel of the Scots Guards.

What is it with wanting the old to give way to the young, when it is the older royals than have shown long standing commitment to their Queen and Country.

Last edited:
Until one of the existing colonels steps down or dies there won't be a vacancy and it is possible that Andrew will get to fill a vacancy first having spent over 20 years in the military and then having worked consistently for the Queen ever since.

. . . What is it with wanting the old to give way to the young, when it is the older royals than have shown long standing commitment to their Queen and Country.
It is the cult of youth and the complete ignorance of exactly who those royals are and that they have served their King/ Queen and country. All they see is that they are "old" and passed their use by date!

Neither does the Duke of Edinburgh.

The Duke of Kent is a working royal and puts in more events than Harry, he was in the Army for over 20 yrs and is a Field Marshall as well as Colonel of the Scots Guards.

What is it with wanting the old to give way to the young, when it is the older royals than have shown long standing commitment to their Queen and Country.

It's nothing to do with putting the old to pasture. I thought it was whispered on the net that Prince Harry would be appointed to a Royal Colonel and then go on to ride in the Trooping.

Well I'm months behind but I've just noticed that Princess Michael was on the balcony at the Cenotaph last November for the first time in years. It's quite curious as her husband wasn't laying a wreath and he wasn't on th balcony with her. Nice to see her there though.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 4h4 hours ago
The Duke and Duchess will join members of the Royal Family @RoyalFamily at the annual Festival of Remembrance @RoyalAlbertHall on 12 Nov

Prince Harry will lay a wreath and lead the national act of Remembrance at the Armistice Day service @Nat_Mem_Arb on 11 November

The Duke will visit two projects in London on 10 Nov, honouring those lost in WW1 @CWGC #LivingMemory and @FieldsinTrust #CentenaryFields

Prince Harry will join The Duke of Edinburgh @RoyalFamily at the Field of Remembrance @wabbey on 10 November

The Duke and Duchess and Prince Harry will join members of the Royal Family @RoyalFamily at Remembrance events across the UK next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom