Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was interesting to see a little of interaction between Maxima and the british royal ladies, especially with Kate...

King Olaf was also the Queen's cousin.His mother was the sister of George V.
King Olav was the cousin of the queen's father, king George VI, so the relationship to queen Elisabeth was first cousin once removed if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone know the name of the first hymn sung at this mornings Service?

Wasn't it O God, Our Help In Ages Past ?

I could see that both King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima were known with the hymn. Both joined the congregation in singing. The King did his secondary education at the Atlantic College in Glamorgan, Wales. The Queen did attend the British Northlands College in Buenos Aires. Both with traditional British education and this will have included the singing of hymns...

Yes I noticed both the king and queen singing along,not too often we see them singing hymns,thanks for your help.

Lovely to see the Dutch royal family in attendance. Despite the solemn occasion, once I saw Maxima's hat, I couldn't help but ponder what it might have been like if Camilla had also been present on that balcony - surely no room for Kate & Sophie.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Haha, that thought crossed my mind as well. Sophie and Kate would have had to sit on chairs so their heads would end up under the brims.

It was interesting to see a little of interaction between Maxima and the british royal ladies, especially with Kate...

I agree! Very sweet moments :) Looked like they had a nice time!

You forget that King Olav laid no wreath but was "just" a spectator. King Willem-Alexander actively laid a wreath and unless he has magical powers, this required him to stand at the Cenotaph down below...

:whistling:

Queen Elizabeth II and King Willem-Alexander arrived and left together as a pair. Only before the Cenotaph, the Queen stood one step before King Willem-Alexander, which is understandable as she leads the Nation and the Commonwealth in the remembrance, not the high guest from the Netherlands.

Forget? I didn´t forget anything. WA could have acted as a spectator, too and lay a wreath at another, less prominent occasion.
Just like the Netherlands Norway also had a lot of reason to be thankful towards Britain. I´m not saying there is anything wrong with WA laying a wreath being the only male attendant not wearing a uniform (even the Prcss Royal does...), I was just wondering why things are dealt so differently comparing 25 years ago.

Lovely to see the Dutch royal family in attendance. Despite the solemn occasion, once I saw Maxima's hat, I couldn't help but ponder what it might have been like if Camilla had also been present on that balcony - surely no room for Kate & Sophie.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Well, I remember pics from the 1980s with the King of Norway in attendance together with Diana, the Queen Mother and Princess Alice (of Gloucester) on the balcony! And Kate and Sophie aren´t that big really... Enough room for the dutch Queen, Camilla, the Dss of Cambridge and Css of Wessex on this rather broad balcony.
And the neighbouring balcony had been occupied as well (can´t remember really, but I think by Princess Alexandra, the Dss of Kent, Pcss Michael and/ or Pcss Margaret). Male members not attending the wreath-laying, like the Duke of Gloucester or Pr. Michael, stood a little bit behind the ladies so there was enough room!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I remember pics from the 1980s with the King of Norway in attendance together with Diana, the Queen Mother and Princess Alice (of Gloucester) on the balcony! And Kate and Sophie aren´t that big really... Enough room for the dutch Queen, Camilla, the Dss of Cambridge and Css of Wessex on this rather broad balcony.
And the neighbouring balcony had been occupied as well (can´t remember really, but I think by Princess Alexandra, the Dss of Kent, Pcss Michael and/ or Pcss Margaret). Male members not attending the wreath-laying, like the Duke of Gloucester or Pr. Michael, stood a little bit behind the ladies so there was enough room!
I think the joke was that big hat Max and big hat Camilla would take up all the hat space. :lol:

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2015

what a great celebration that remembrance day is. :flowers:

i am glad to see the dutch king and queen present this year. i wonder why exactly they got invited this year specifically? i wonder where they stayed: i guess the embassy is a good guess. are they guests to the ambassador when they travel around? i'd assume from a security perspective, staying there would be the easiest, but i can also see the benefit of staying in a hotel as people wouldn't know in which one they are staying. in any case it's great to see maxima looking recovered and superb.

Perhaps the King and Queen stayed with their sister-in-law, Princess Mabel, the widow of the King's late brother, Prince Friso.
She and her daughters live in London.
Maybe they have taken their three daughters with them because it would be a nice opportunity to see their nieces.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van The Royals Community

Last edited:
The Dutch Royals lived for a time in Canada during the war. The King made mentioned of it when he visited Ottawa.

Princess Juliana and her two daughters came to Canada in 1940 I think and then Princess Margreit was born here. They actually lived in Ottawa for five years.

Haha, that thought crossed my mind as well. Sophie and Kate would have had to sit on chairs so their heads would end up under the brims.

I agree! Very sweet moments :) Looked like they had a nice time!

I wonder what they talked about... Kate isn't very into meeting foreign royals very often:whistling:

I wonder what they talked about... Kate isn't very into meeting foreign royals very often:whistling:

A bit off topic, but Max has a rep as a very engaging person. Back when Charlene was newly married in Monaco, the story went around that Max had established a friendship and really helped C with the in the public eye pressure thing. Shortly thereafter, Charlene seemed to emerge from some of her shyness.
I do see that engaging side of Queen M and believe she's very generous inter-personally with people. JMO

Kate has actually met a lot of foreign royals with the events of the diamond jubilee, 2012 Olympics, WWI service in Belgium. Plus who gets sent to what event i.e. Royal weddings, inaugurations, funeral isn't up to Kate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

A bit off topic, but Max has a rep as a very engaging person. Back when Charlene was newly married in Monaco, the story went around that Max had established a friendship and really helped C with the in the public eye pressure thing. Shortly thereafter, Charlene seemed to emerge from some of her shyness.
I do see that engaging side of Queen M and believe she's very generous inter-personally with people. JMO

yes, charlene admitted herself how maxima was a big help to her but charlene's friendship with maxima is not the only one which we know about. Maxima reportedly was also a big support to masako, with her depression and in getting her back into royal life. let's not forget that masako's only international trip in decades was to the netherlands for her good friend maxima's coronation! max is good friends with mette marit and maxima and mathilde are close since mathilde helped maxima settle in belgium at the start of her relationship with WA. marie chantal also praised maxima's friendliness, confidence and spontaneous self and mentioned that she's like her daughter to grow up as confident as maxima.

so she certainly has a good pool of relationships amongst foreign royalty.

as for kate, i believe she must have met a lot of foreign royals at the diamond jubilee and most certainly at the olympics. she also met with the danish crown prince couple in copenhagen, with mathilde and philippe in belgium, and now with maxima so she slowly is getting acquainted with a number of people from foreign circles.

Kate has actually met a lot of foreign royals with the events of the diamond jubilee, 2012 Olympics, WWI service in Belgium. Plus who gets sent to what event i.e. Royal weddings, inaugurations, funeral isn't up to Kate.

That's right, Catherine has met a great deal of royals as a senior royal. I'm sure she had a nice little chat with Queen Maxima. I've said in the past, she and William aren't the ones that's regularly sent to foreign royal events, and I think they should be the main ones sent so they can form even a better relationship with their royal counterparts.

I would like to see Edward and Sophie step back a little bit and have the Queen send William and Kate to more European royal events. After all, when William becomes king, most of the current new young European monarchs and monarchs-to-be (crown princes) will still be around and it is important that William knows them.

Unfortunately, there won't be any European royal weddings now for at least the next 15 or 20 years.

[...] WA could have acted as a spectator, too and lay a wreath at another, less prominent occasion. [...]

The King has been invited by The Queen to attend on Remembrance Sunday. As the BBC stated yesterday: it was the first time that a foreign head-of-state was invited to have an active role in the National Remembrance at the Cenotaph.

The tie between UK and Netherlands have always been close but WW2 saw British frigates transporting the Dutch Royals to England when they escaped (just) from the Nazi invasion. I've been reading about it in the book "Princes at War". The Dutch Queen apparently arrived in a nightgown and raincoat.

And whilst Juliana took the children to Canada, Queen Wilhelmina stayed in the UK along with Dutch Government-in-exile. The site of this is near Marble Arch, close to Tyburn.

I thought that the tribute King W-A paid in thanking the British people was wonderful.

EDIT: I meant to add that not only is this the 70th anniversary of Dutch liberation, it is also that there are so few veterans left that perhaps a personal thank-you by W-A was the reason he was there.

Last edited:
I always feel sorry for Sir Tim Laurence when he is always relegated to the balcony with the spouses. Afterall, he has had a distinguished career in the Navy rising to the rank of Vice-admiral....which in the U.S. at least is a pretty high rank to achieve. I know Anne and even Edward are "colonel in chief" or something but those titles are honorary since Anne never served in the military and Edward didn't fulfill his enlistment obligation. At least Tim's title is earned through actual service. He always looks so quiet and dignified but I get the impression that the royals really don't know what to do with him so they stick him with the spouses. Seems like a subtle insult to me.

Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Lawrence is also an Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The Queen. A position which was also held by Captain Mark Phillips, by the way. In that capacity he could have had an active role too. Yesterday King Willem-Alexander was helped by one of his Aides-de-Camp. Sir Timothy could have done the same for The Queen.

yes, charlene admitted herself how maxima was a big help to her but charlene's friendship with maxima is not the only one which we know about. Maxima reportedly was also a big support to masako, with her depression and in getting her back into royal life. let's not forget that masako's only international trip in decades was to the netherlands for her good friend maxima's coronation! max is good friends with mette marit and maxima and mathilde are close since mathilde helped maxima settle in belgium at the start of her relationship with WA. marie chantal also praised maxima's friendliness, confidence and spontaneous self and mentioned that she's like her daughter to grow up as confident as maxima.

as for kate, i believe she must have met a lot of foreign royals at the diamond jubilee and most certainly at the olympics. she also met with the danish crown prince couple in copenhagen, with mathilde and philippe in belgium, and now with maxima so she slowly is getting acquainted with a number of people from foreign circles.

Well, Kate didn't recognize or acknowledge King Felipe VI at the Belgian WWI ceremony. She curtsied politely to King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, but made no gesture suggesting that they were friends or close. Philippe of course is much older, but Mathilde is actually only 9 or 10 years older than Kate (as are also Letizia and Mary), and Victoria is only 5 years older. I could easily see them being closer if the British Royal Family were not so "isolationist".

Last edited:
Kate meet and greeted Felipe beforehand at the same event, there were plenty of photos showing that.

Last edited:
The King has been invited by The Queen to attend on Remembrance Sunday. As the BBC stated yesterday: it was the first time that a foreign head-of-state was invited to have an active role in the National Remembrance at the Cenotaph.

I was wondering if anyone can recall why King Olav attended the ceremony all those years ago?

Lovely photos, particularly of The Queen, William, and Catherine.

Let's keep this thread on Remembrance Day Services. If you wish to discuss the relationship between the BRF and the other royal houses, you can do so in the Windsors and Europe thread. Any further off-topic talk will be deleted.

A little bit off topic, but by reading your comment the picture came to my mind how the royal ladies form-up a What's app chat group and chat on their engagements or fool around by sending each other selfies. I imagined how Kate & Maxima sent out a selfie making funny faces and the other royal ladies make fun of it. I guess Maxima would be the administrator of that group :))))

The mother of King Olav V of Norway was Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of King Edward VII, sister of King George V and aunt of King George VI. This made King Olav himself a grandchild of King Edward VII. We may assume the many British family-links as well the British hospitality towards his family during WWII has made King Olav very closely attached to this Remembrance.

Parents of King Olav V
King Haakon of Norway, born Prince Carl of Denmark
Queen Maud of Norway, born Princess of the United Kingdom

Grandparents of King Olav V
King Frederik VIII of Denmark
Queen Louise of Denmark, born Princess of Sweden
King Edward VII of the United Kingdom
Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom, born Princess of Denmark

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II looks so tiny in this photo!

QEII's posture is very quickly changing, which at her age is not alarming. Let's hope her health will be strong for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom