Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2014

I'm amazed, impressed and a bit jealous of how the British people turn out in great numbers all over the nation to remember those who serve, have served and who have fallen fighting for their country. It makes me sad and a bit upset about how here in Sweden the "Veterans Day" (not the same thing I know but the closest thing we have) rarely even gets a mention in national media and is virtually unknown to the man on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
At least we didn't the OMG Kate smiled during the Cenotaph service debate that we normally get each year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

You forgot playing w/her hair.

With regard to Prince Harry, I always find that when one is ignorant of facts, information or details, one can easily jump to any conclusion or thought one likes. I say this advisedly on account of always doing it myself (a recent post of mine on the Japanese family current events proves the point).

Exactly!! When I didn't see Harry anywhere, the wheels got turning and I right away wondered if he was in Afghanistan for the final Remembrance Sunday w/British Troops in Theatre/on the Ground there. When the footage was shown on the Supper Hour News, I said I had a feeling that's where he was. Watching him today w/his fellow Servicemen and woman in Afghanistan and w/the Vets on the Opening of the Field of Remembrance Thursday is very special.

It reminds me a bit of watching the Queen Mum w/the Vets back in the day the feeling I get when I see Harry interacting w/the Vets today. It's something very, very special and watching him joke w/the WWII Vets on Thursday was a hoot and a half. Especially w/the one older lad telling how he wished Harry wasn't so tall because it was such a long way for him to look up at...LOL!!!

I really don't get the problem with Harry (or any other member of the BRF) not being at the main festivities...its not like he is chilling on the beach. From all reports, any time a BRF member has not been at Cenotaph, they have been at another remembrance celebration.

IMO it appears that some are trying to find fault when there is none, or have no knowledge of other activities outside Cenotaph.

Perfectly said Zonk and Thank You!!

It really was a spectacular day with the bravery of the Queen, the dedication of those who protect her, the obvious appreciation of the entire family for the ultimate price paid. A sense of duty in this family is ever present in some form. They may disappoint with some behavior, but on the really big issues, they get it.

I think about Lady Louise or James seeing news about the arrest of the plotters and wondering if their Granny or Daddy might be harmed. That's the reality for the BRF and for members of the services. Risk shared. Duty shared.
It's just far more impressive than anything any of us do here on the forums. That helps me keep all this in context.

All too true and you also mention something TRH's have to deal w/as Parents the rest of us wouldn't even think twice about. Another part of the price they pay for being Royal.

I'm not sure whether this has been referred to yet and I have no wish to go back through the previous pages but I thought the participation of the Irish Ambassador was a lovely touch.

As did I. Another step in the path of healing when it comes to British/Irish Relations. I can't even imagine how an Irish WWI Vet, who went through that Hell on Earth the Western Front was, felt knowing if he said he was a Vet of WWI at home in Ireland, he'd be shunned because he fought for Britain. Just so sad in so many ways. :sad:

I have tried to avoid this but I can 't hold back any longer.

this is a thread about the Remembrance Service held to remember those who sacrificied their lives in conflicts since 1914, be they military, allied services and civilians.

the BRf attend relevant services where they represent the nation and gives thanks for the sacrifices made.

Today it has turned into a terrible debate a out the individual contribution to ONE service in London on the 2nd Sunday in November.

I am embarassed that I may have contributed to this "debate"

Just stop- enough is enough. If you want to argue the contribution of individual members to this remembrance service, then do it elsewhere.

This is about the service to remember those who have served the nation.

Not just the Nation, but the Commonwealth as well, as wreaths are laid by the Commonwealth High Commissioners too. That wreath laid that was made up of the various Commonwealth floral emblems was so beautiful and so fitting as well.

I really hope the increased security that will be in place in Ottawa on Tuesday due to The Princess Royal attending and the sad events of only a few weeks ago, won't keep the Tradition of the Public going up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and leaving their Poppies behind after the Service takes place from going ahead. Seeing the Tomb covered in red Poppies only moments after the National Service of Remembrance is one of those sights that never fails to choke me up during the Broadcast.

As many of you know, my Family History and Heritage of serving in the Canadian Armed Forces is very important to me and ongoing today w/my Cousin Morag being a Captain in the RCAF. November 11th in my Family is a very sacred day and emotional as well. It's going to be even more so this year.

BTW, the Royal Canadian Legion is saying this is the best year for the Poppy Campaign in a very long time. While it's great for the Poppy Fund and those who need those funds, at the same time the reason for it is...:sad:

I have tried to avoid this but I can 't hold back any longer.

this is a thread about the Remembrance Service held to remember those who sacrificied their lives in conflicts since 1914, be they military, allied services and civilians.

the BRf attend relevant services where they represent the nation and gives thanks for the sacrifices made.

Today it has turned into a terrible debate a out the individual contribution to ONE service in London on the 2nd Sunday in November.

I am embarassed that I may have contributed to this "debate"

Just stop- enough is enough. If you want to argue the contribution of individual members to this remembrance service, then do it elsewhere.

This is about the service to remember those who have served the nation.

Well summed up.

Thanks for the video. Moving service -especially when the poppies started coming down

I'm amazed, impressed and a bit jealous of how the British people turn out in great numbers all over the nation to remember those who serve, have served and who have fallen fighting for their country. It makes me sad and a bit upset about how here in Sweden the "Veterans Day" (not the same thing I know but the closest thing we have) rarely even gets a mention in national media and is virtually unknown to the man on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The same for Germany - this has of course something to do with Germany´s unglorious role during 2 WWs... Grandfathers or Great-Grandfathers who fought at the war are often seen as culprits, not heroes and there´s no feeling of being thankful (which is, imo, perfectly right because nazi-germany has committed terrible crimes as we know).
Sweden is lucky enough not to have been mingled in military conflict for a long, long time, so there´s also not this kind of feeling of relief (not to be invaded) and gratefulness towards the older generations.
But there´s virtually no culture in this country to deal with everything military, almost a non-issue and pretty unpopular. Ceremonies like Remembr. Sunday would be totally unthinkable in Germany (too much pathos for the average german... this is a very austere, unceremonial country) and would be met with heavy head-shaking, even some amusement, by many people. What I´m most jealous about is that Britain seems to come virtually together and many people standing united in gratefulness!

Really?

I'm of the opinion that when royals behave inappropriately they should be called on it. I think if Kate behaves inappropriately at a Remembrance Day service she should be criticized for it. Or if Harry isn't attending any Remembrance Day services at all, he should be criticized for it. Or whatever.

Yes, really?!
A young woman smiling at this ceremony while talking to family members is a reason to criticize her? I think it´s pretty arrogant to decide what behaviour would be "inappropriate"! This is not a funeral! At the coverage of this event I even saw old veterans smiling and chatting cheerful to each other! Reason to criticize them?
I´ve watched many royal (state) funerals where many Royals of all ages smiled or even, modestly, laughed when somebody said something (funny?). The Royals seem to be much more relaxed about issues than some of us are...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

I'm of the opinion that when royals behave inappropriately they should be called on it. I think if Kate behaves inappropriately at a Remembrance Day service she should be criticized for it. Or if Harry isn't attending any Remembrance Day services at all, he should be criticized for it. Or whatever.

Yes, really?!
A young woman smiling at this ceremony while talking to family members is a reason to criticize her? I think it´s pretty arrogant to decide what behaviour would be "inappropriate"! This is not a funeral! At the coverage of this event I even saw old veterans smiling and chatting cheerful to each other! Reason to criticize them?
I´ve watched many royal (state) funerals where many Royals of all ages smiled or even, modestly, laughed when somebody said something (funny?). The Royals seem to be much more relaxed about issues than some of us are...

The royals are very relaxed than many others are. The royals have no problem sharing a warm smile or chuckle at events like this.

Really?

Yes, really?!

Before you attack me, perhaps you should actually read what I said.

I said that if her actions, or Harry's actions, or anyone else's actions are inappropriate, they should be criticized. I did not at any point say that any of their actions were inappropriate or in need of criticism, and then went on to say that a lot of the criticism of the Cambridges - such as the criticism of Kate for smiling during the service last year when others were as well - was clearly trolls determined to attack her.

Before you go off attacking people for their comments maybe you should read said comments.

There is nothing wrong with them chatting before the service starts. They are probably out there before the royal party moves to the Cenotaph. They are not talking during the two minutes of silence.

There is nothing wrong with them chatting before the service starts. They are probably out there before the royal party moves to the Cenotaph. They are not talking during the two minutes of silence.

Don't get me wrong ! I posted this to underline the good spirit and the nice relationship btw the leading ladies of the BRF !
Of course they were dignified, and silent, during the crucial moments of the ceremony.

The royal ladies were chatting as other officials were laying their wreaths. There was nothing wrong with that. No, they weren't talking during the two minute silence.

It always surprises me that the part of the march past where a member of the Royal Family takes the salute from the members and former members of the armed forces doesn't get written/talked about much. Does anyone know who took the salute on Horseguards this year?

Andrew did. It was on the royal website.

Many times it is an occasion such as a funeral or a memorial service when a family comes together all in one place. Although a somber occasion or a reflection on those lives that were given in service to their country as in the case of Remembrance Day, there is a certain joy of coming together and seeing each other. I would have been more surprised if they weren't chatting to each other.

Any lip readers? ;)

Sophie to Camilla: That coat is way too tight on Catherine.

Camilla: And I think she ought to quit wearing that ugly-a.. hat- like yesterday.

Catherine to Camilla: What are you two short stuffs gabbing about? Bragging about who the Queen likes better?

Camilla to Catherine: No, dear, we were just exchanging recipes for spotted dick.

Sophie and Camilla: (Snort, giggle, tee-hee, giggle)

Sophie to Camilla: That coat is way too tight on Catherine.

Camilla: And I think she ought to quit wearing that ugly-a.. hat- like yesterday.

Catherine to Camilla: What are you two short stuffs gabbing about? Bragging about who the Queen likes better?

Camilla to Catherine: No, dear, we were just exchanging recipes for spotted dick.

Sophie and Camilla: (Snort, giggle, tee-hee, giggle)

:p

I'll buy it all except the snort. Not for Sophie, anyway, ;)

.The Earl of Wessex attended the Armistice Day Service at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas on November 11, 2014:

** gettyimages gallery **

** pm mixed gallery: Harry, Anne, Edward, tous mobilisés **

** expressandstar.com: The nation falls silent for Armistice Day **

Prince Edward remains remarkably striking in certain poses. :flowers: He isn't showing his age.

He seems to have found the youngest born's eternal youth, though it is only so when he wears one of his military caps. ;) The hair loss is unforgiving for a man but still he can cause a second look, at least in pictures. JMO. :p

Prince Edward remains remarkably striking in certain poses. :flowers: He isn't showing his age.

He seems to have found the youngest born's eternal youth, though it is only so when he wears one of his military caps. ;) The hair loss is unforgiving for a man but still he can cause a second look, at least in pictures. JMO. :p

He does look better with a hat on, I agree. It hides his baldness and miss him look younger. I always think the same when he goes to Ascot and wears a top hat.

He has also managed to stay trim (thanks to his glamorous, trim wife) which I think helps him look a bit younger.

This year's Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph will be shorter "out of respect for the ageing veterans who take part in the parade and to limit the amount of standing time for the Queen, who is approaching her 90th birthday" according to the following article:

Cenotaph Remembrance service to be made shorter - BBC News

Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP - Telegraph
Plans to cut short the remembrance day ceremony to prevent the Queen and elderly veterans from spending too long outside have been scrapped following opposition from the Scottish National Party.

An SNP source in Westminster confirmed the party was "not overly happy" about plans to force opposition leaders to lay wreaths at the same time while the Prime Minister retained the right to do so alone.

Remembrance Day Cenotaph service shortened to aid the Queen and ageing veterans - Telegraph
The remembrance service at the Cenotaph will be shortened to limit standing time for the Queen and ageing veterans.

The changes will see the leaders of the opposition parties and some members of the Royal Family lay their wreaths together rather than individually.

The shortened format follows discussions with the Royal Household but raised eyebrows at Westminster as Prime Minister David Cameron will continue to lay his wreath on his own.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "The format for this year's Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph on November 8 has been reviewed.

Remembrance Sunday service set to be shortened so people spend less time in cold | Daily Mail Online
The annual Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph will be shortened to cut down on the amount of time the Queen and ageing veterans have to stand in the November cold.

The shortened format was agreed after discussions between ministers and Buckingham Palace but raised eyebrows at Westminster over concerns it would give the Prime Minister a starring role.

However, a government spokesman tonight revealed proposals to force all opposition party leaders to lay their wreaths at the same time had been abandoned amid fears it gave David Cameron too much of the limelight

:previous:

Thanks for these links, Royal Norway - but oh dear, I think this will be one of those situations where we will not know for sure if there will be changes or not!

TBH, I can't see how it would make much different to the length of the service with just a handful of people having to lay their wreaths together instead of individually.

I read some of the articles and I haven't figured out how it is going to be shorter. I understood about the opposition laying their wreathes at the same time and then they complained about the PM doing his alone. They can probably speed of the royal family wreath laying- do the Queen and Philip separately and then the rest in pairs.

:previous: The arrogance and ignorance of some politicians beggars belief. The PM needs to get over himself and remember that he is there to lay a commemorative wreath marking the ultimate sacrifice of members of the UK. Contrary to his personal belief, the Remembrance Day Service is not "all about him"!

They can probably speed of the royal family wreath laying- do the Queen and Philip separately and then the rest in pairs.
this is their plan:
"This year, in order to allow the parade to get under way earlier, some members of the Royal Family and political figures will lay their wreaths simultaneously."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom