Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry has filled in for his father before in previous years but is not a wreath layer on his own but he could be up on the balcony if he wanted. I don't know why he doesn't do the balcony with Kate, Camilla, Sophie and Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm shocked. Harry is touted as the family's resident 'military man' and he doesn't attend the Remembrance Service even as a bystander? Bad form if you ask me

My goodness, what´s wrong with these teenage boys these days, always fainting..?! At last´s state open. of parliam. we saw one of the Queen´s pages going down to the floor, today a 14-year old choirboy fainted, standing in fresh air for about 10 minuets! What a difference to the almost 90 years old Queen!
I always thought male teenagers were as strong like nothing else in this world...

Harry has filled in for his father before in previous years but is not a wreath layer on his own but he could be up on the balcony if he wanted. I don't know why he doesn't do the balcony with Kate, Camilla, Sophie and Tim.

As far as I know a male member of the RF who was on active service doesn´t stand on the balcony. He takes part in the wreath-laying-ceremony or doesn´t take part at all.
William only stood on the balcony BEFORE his military training. So I guess he´ll never be in the royal box again, either.
Pr. Harry, as you will know, had his "own" remembrance ceremony last thursday at Westminster Abbey, where he honoured the fallen in his own right. So, speaking about "bad form" is beyond me!

Even if not taking part there is zero reason Harry can't there today. Last Thursday wasn't the Remembrance Service, today is.

Anyway I know how these discussions about Harry end up. He has a perpetual get out of jail free card.

Andrew is normally behind Charles and Camilla seated next to Anne and Tim, whereas Edward and Sophie are front and centre beside the Queen. I just never understood why it was like this, but it has always been this way.

The Duke of York sat exactly where his place is, right next to the heir of the throne and his spouse.

British Royal Family Current Events 7: January 2014 to

As far as I know a male member of the RF who was on active service doesn´t stand on the balcony. He takes part in the wreath-laying-ceremony or doesn´t take part at all.
William only stood on the balcony BEFORE his military training. So I guess he´ll never be in the royal box again, either.
Pr. Harry, as you will know, had his "own" remembrance ceremony last thursday at Westminster Abbey, where he honoured the fallen in his own right. So, speaking about "bad form" is beyond me!

No one spoke of "bad form". Do you really think if Harry asked the Queen if he could attend and watch up from the balcony with the non wreath laying royals like Kate, Camilla, Sophie, Tim, Gloucesters, etc that she would say no?

Tim Lawrence was active duty and on the balcony for several years. William isn't ever going to be on the balcony again because will be laying wreaths as Prince of Wales and then King for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Its odd Harry attends every other military related event throughout the year to honour the troops but on the ultimate day of honour he is nowhere to be found.

Even if not taking part there is zero reason Harry can't there today. Last Thursday wasn't the Remembrance Service, today is.

Anyway I know how these discussions about Harry end up. He has a perpetual get out of jail free card.

That´s not the point. Like no other nation, in Britain one remembrance ceremony is followed by another one, and Prince Harry had his (important) share in it. In last thursday´s ceremony fallen soldiers who died for "crown and country" were remembered, too.
If it was Andrew or Edward I´d say the same thing. I´m not defending H., I just state that you can´t possibly say he, THE military man in the RF, who is so desperate and determined about active military personnel´s issues and causes, was not interested or "lazy" to attend?!

No spoke of "bad form".

You didn´t, another fellow poster did! I only say that he might have a good reason not to attend, may be for a reason that we might understand if we knew or not, but that´s that. I´m just mystified a bit about criticism only because he´s not present today. Anyone with only a little knowledge about the Royal Family will know Harry is neither ignorant nor uninterested in everything military!

Tim Lawrence was active duty and on the balcony for several years. William isn't ever going to be on the balcony again because will be laying wreaths as Prince of Wales and then King for the rest of his life.

That´s exactly what I said... Harry won´t either as the brother of the future Prince of Wales and King. Some royal historians might enlighten us if King George VI´s brothers, f. instance, ever stood on the balcony instead of laying a wreath. My guess is they didn´t.

Only royal colonels lay wreathes. Harry represented Charles in 2009 and 2013.

There is an assumption that Harry was free to attend today. perhaps, as a serving officer, he was on duty.

why do some people always put the worst connatation on situations where we dont have all the infrmation?

That could be it. Harry as a serving officer is at the office today. Maybe he's catching up on the that paperwork.

British Royal Family Current Events 7: January 2014 to

I think I found where Harry could be.

From 2007 blurb about William laying a wreath for the first time at the Cenotaph. He was on the balcony for 2004 service as his first time attending.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKL1166461820071111?irpc=932

It said that Harry was to attend a separate remembrance service with his regiment. Also note Wills in his Blues and Royal uniform is not a royal army colonel at this point. In 2007, he only has honorary naval appointments. He get a RAF one in 2008 and the Irish Guards in 2011.

Last edited:
IIRC Harry only attended in 2009 and 2013 right?

You are correct. And he stood in for others in the ceremony those years - was not on the balcony.
As to the balcony (yes, I am abbreviating - at least I bothered to check this)
2013 - Sophie, Catherine, Tim
2012 - Sophie, Catherine, Tim and Lady Susan Hussey
2011 - Sophie, Catherine, Tim and Camilla, Princess A, Duchess of G
2010 - Sophie, Camilla, Richard, Duke of G
2009 - Sophie, D and D of G
2008 - Sophie and Camilla
2007 - Camilla, D and D of G, Princess Alexandra and Tim
2006 - William, Camilla, Sophie and Edward, Princess Alex, D and D of G
2005- UNKN
2004 - Tim, Sophie, William, Princess Alex and ? UNKN man
2003 - Tim, Sophie, Bea, Princess Alex and Angus, Petere P, Queen Mum
2002 - D and D of G, Sophie and Edward, Tim
2001 - UNKN

I used Getty, the Forums and the DM as sources. It's likely the D and D of G and Princess Alex may have been there on additional years, but their photos were not archived by Getty. The balcony is a bit small and it may also be that people attend but are not seen on the balcony.

Anyway - no adult or teen Harry on the balcony ever for this event, near as I can tell.

Last edited:
^^^ Which in my opinion is absolutely bad form. Especially for someone so involved with veterans and their charities

Last edited:
Harry almost certainly attended a service with his regiment/at whichever military base he is stationed at. Just because he's not at the Cenotaph doesn't mean he's not remembering those who served. If he has no formal role at the Cenotaph maybe he prefers to be together with his colleagues and friends to remember, in part, those friends and colleagues they have lost.

^^^ Which in my opinion is absolutely bad form. Especially for someone so involved with veterans and their charities

Ryan Hooper @RyanJHooper · 14m minutes ago
BREAKING: Prince #Harry returned to Afghanistan today to lead Remembrance service tributes on behalf of the Queen. Story on PA Wire.
https://twitter.com/RyanJHooper/status/531455071306129408

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago
In Kandahar today, Prince Harry met service personnel, including RAF Tornado pilots providing close air support to Afghan operations.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/531459268646813696

Such bad form Harry...:whistling:

Last edited:
Just wanted to write the same thing. :)

^^^ So if Harry wasn't in Afghanistan he'd be at the Cenotaph??

Why doesn't Harry go to the Remembrance Service any other year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Harry is in Afghanistan this year. William was in Afghanistan for the 2010 Rememberance Day.

I'm not sure why Harry doesn't usually attend service at the Cenotaph. I don't see any reason why he can't attend, so it would be nice to see him taking part (or at least on the balcony) in the future.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Harry go to the Remembrance Service any other year?

I would imagine that attendance at any services in Afghanistan would be dependant on a variety of factors, including if anyone is available to go, security and whether ops are in motion at the time. And a representative does not attend in Afghanistan every year.

The Duke of York visited Afghanistan for Remembrance Day in 2013, the Duke of Cambridge in 2010.

Harry was serving in Afghanistan at the end of 2012, so he may have privately attended some form of service.

So before we knew Harry was in Afghanistan, people said the excuse he isn't at the Cenotaph is because he doesn't normally go. Now he's in Afghanistan and people are saying that's the reason he's isn't at the cenotaph?

:previous:

That's not what I've said. Nor have I seen anyone suggest that either.

This year Harry is in Afghanistan. It is unlikely that if he had not been in Afghanistan that he would have been at the Cenotaph because he has only attended in 2013 and 2009 - when he was representing his father. This will most likely change in the future, as Harry becomes a royal duke and the members of the royal family pass on.

In my opinion, Harry being in Afghanistan has little to do with his usual non-attendance at the Cenotaph.

Last edited:
And his usual non attendance at the Remembrance Service is bad form. I'm back to my original opinion

'Humble pie' at all Rudolph ?

Back
Top Bottom