Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a shame Prince Harry was the only senior member not able to attend. I assume he's on duty.

I'm wondering if there's a reason behind the fact that QE and the DoC wearing more than only one poppy?

Would Prince Henry wherever he is be taking part in any Remembrance Service?

I'm wondering if there's a reason behind the fact that QE and the DoC wearing more than only one poppy?

I think the Queen Mother used to as well. I don't know if it has to do with being a senior royal or if there's some other significance to it, to be honest.

It is so touching to see Mr. Major helping Baroness Thatcher.
I am slightly taken aback by Princess Anne's black dress with velvet applications and light-coloured slip dress under it.:ermm: The dress just looks awkward a bit in my personal opinion. I know that Her Majesty wore somewhat similar dress, which looked all right in comparison with that of Princess Anne.

I just saw on another site that he's be taking part in a service with his regiment. I don't know whether that's strictly private or not.

Would Prince Henry wherever he is be taking part in any Remembrance Service?

Question: are the wreaths laid in the name of the Royals laying them? For example, would William's wreath be "from Prince William of Wales"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected two extremely silly oversized hats on the royal ladies - they should follow the Queens example by having an understated hat fitting the remembrance occassion rather than trying to get themselves some paper coverage for the stupidness of their hats

I think it's wonderful that you see the younger royals (who were obviously not impacted by the devastation of 1914-1918) take part in the ceremony. A great way to remind the younger generation of what happened...and what can happen
The remembrance festival and parade was extended to encompass all the conflicts British, Commonwealth and the Territories Troops have been involved in since the 1st World War:flowers:
I think the Queen Mother used to as well. I don't know if it has to do with being a senior royal or if there's some other significance to it, to be honest.
Any non military can wear a corsage of the British Legion Poppies, it is normally the women but nothing to say a man can't. Military personnel in uniform are only supposed to wear the one regardless of sex. However some of the personnel on active duty in Afghanistan have taken to wearing single poppies on their Sam Browns to denote the friends killed whilst in the troubled regions, it would be frowned upon on parade in the UK.:flowers:
Question: are the wreaths laid in the name of the Royals laying them? For example, would William's wreath be "from Prince William of Wales"?
HM lays a wreath on behalf of the nation as the monarch, Charles as the PoW (hence the PoW feathers) etc. It has never occurred to me to go back and unearth anyone elses wreath, but each wreath you see handed over is from that particular regiment, association etc, not from individuals, unless there is only the one representative left. In short, I have no idea what is written on Williams, but I would imagine that his, like Philip and the rest of the Royals, is an individual wreath.:flowers:

when will these men ever step up to their royal duties.

PoE -As you point out, William was carrying out engagements in Wales on the day, and may not have been able to make it back in time for the Festival of Rememberance. Getting from Wales to London can take about 3-4 hours, so entirely possible that the logistics precluded him from attending. He was present at the Cenotaph, so he certainly acquitted himself on ths one - hardly, in my opinion a derogation of their royal duties!

....and Harry surely wont be doing any army training at nighttime so am sure they could have allowed him time to attend.

As some others have commented, what basis do we ave to comment on what Harry was doing at the time - he may well have been on army duty. One thing s for sure, if he was out drinking, the paparrazzi would have images of him in the press the following morning.

I do wish posters on the forums would think through some of their comments before posting them!

Prince William could have flown a Chinook but they wouldn´t let him....:flowers:

As some others have commented, what basis do we have to comment on what Harry was doing at the time - he may well have been on army duty. One thing s for sure, if he was out drinking, the paparrazzi would have images of him in the press the following morning.
As with many regiments, who goes to which parade is decided by the OC. It is quite possible that Harry attended at his own barracks.

Army officers perform many jobs and being on duty doesn't mean he was charging about the countryside on a training exercise. It is not like any other job, they don't all go home at 17.00hrs, have a bite and put their feet up. Even at Christmas/New Year a certain amount of armed officers and men are on duty, if not in the gatehouse, at least in the offices or patrolling the grounds.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected two extremely silly oversized hats on the royal ladies - they should follow the Queens example by having an understated hat fitting the remembrance occassion rather than trying to get themselves some paper coverage for the stupidness of their hats

Camilla's hats certainly did not do justice to her, and IMO Sophie's was just inappropriate. I am all for sticking to a style that suits you, but Sophie's hat IMO was not suitable for such an event

....rather than trying to get themselves some paper coverage for the stupidness of their hats

I think we can safely say that the era of Diana is thankfully over, and dressing for the next days photo is not something one would readily associate with either Camilla or Sophie.

---snipped-----they should follow the Queens example by having an understated hat fitting the remembrance occassion rather than trying to get themselves some paper coverage for the stupidness of their hats
The idea is not to get themselves publicity, it is about remembering the fallen from the wars, I am amazed that anyone would choose to give thought to what hat what person was wearing. :bang:

The idea is not to get themselves publicity, it is about remembering the fallen from the wars, I am amazed that anyone would choose to give thought to what hat what person was wearing. :bang:

Skydragon, once again you took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers in this case). Ridiculous that someone would think that the Duchess and Countess are trying to "upstage" the event. I think all the ladies looked very nice for the event. I hardly think they both got together via phone that morning and said "what hats can we wear so we'll get our pictures taken?"

Also, I agree....I don't think there should be an issue about Prince William not attending the festival evening. As you pointed out, he was quite a distance away and probably could not make it back in time, unless he wanted to do so via helicopter or private plane and then imagine the uproar that would have caused. It we really wanted to point fingers at royals not attending, then perhaps we should chastise the Duke of York for not having his daughters attend either event (Oh wait...they couldn't make it since I'm sure they were at Whisky Mist or Bijouis! :lol:)

i saw it on tv and thought the same, good lord does sophie even have her beloved ugly satellite dish hats in the mourning version or did she take the one from ascot and had it dyed black, plus put some silly frippery on top. the hat makes her look like the countess of hedgehog. camilla looks way over the top with her feather boa stuff on the hat - thank god both were only seen shortly on the balcony and not down at the monument where the ceremony took place.

QE II flawless as usual, prince philip the old warrior as tough as we know him, the other men looked impressive too apart from Edward who i can't help it doesn't have any royal charisma at all. was a bit embarrassing when the tv commentators mentioned what the royal men had done in their military life when each of them did the honouring procedure ("served in word war II, in the navy, at the falklands etc etc"), even a comment for the princess royal, but nothing when edward turned up, there was only silence.

Sophie's hat was awful, it looked ridiculous. Camilla's, IMO, was just perfect. Fabulously dramatic.

I hope we all take some time to remember those of our countrymen and women who sacrificed for us. I always stop to think of my grandfather on November 11.

I hope we all take some time to remember those of our countrymen and women who sacrificed for us. I always stop to think of my grandfather on November 11.
:flowers::flowers::flowers: Then you, it appears are part of a dying breed, wonderful none the less! :flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

Skydragon, once again you took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers in this case). Ridiculous that someone would think that the Duchess and Countess are trying to "upstage" the event. I think all the ladies looked very nice for the event. I hardly think they both got together via phone that morning and said "what hats can we wear so we'll get our pictures taken?"

Also, I agree....I don't think there should be an issue about Prince William not attending the festival evening. As you pointed out, he was quite a distance away and probably could not make it back in time, unless he wanted to do so via helicopter or private plane and then imagine the uproar that would have caused. It we really wanted to point fingers at royals not attending, then perhaps we should chastise the Duke of York for not having his daughters attend either event (Oh wait...they couldn't make it since I'm sure they were at Whisky Mist or Bijouis! :lol:)

Agree that Beatrice and Eugenie should have attended the event as well but i still believe that William could have made it back to attend and in this instance the use of a royal helicopter would have been totally alright as it was for official royal engagements

Though it be a very solemn event, both Sophie and Camilla's hats look comical. Sophie looks like Dish TV and Camilla looks like a small bear is attacking her head.

Thank you Nico! I think HM and HRH TPR looked fabulous in dresses that were similar but elegant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it possibly mean to remember those who are currently serving? Meaning Will and Harry?

Does it possibly mean to remember those who are currently serving? Meaning Will and Harry?

No, Remembrance Day isn't like Veterans Day; it's specifically to remember the servicemen and women who gave their lives in wartime. That's why the royal family attends the service dressed in mourning.

Back
Top Bottom