Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph Live Coverage- BBC One for Outside of UK Viewers-Starts at 10:25am
tvpc.com - #BBC1

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- BBC One 10:25 am UK Time:
"David Dimbleby presents live coverage from the Cenotaph in Whitehall, where Her Majesty the Queen will lead the nation's Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The prime minister, leading politicians, representatives of many of the world's religions, dignitaries from around the Commonwealth and military leaders join thousands of veterans from countless conflicts for the Two Minute Silence at 11.00, the service and march past. All gather to remember those men and women who have died serving their country. Sophie Raworth will meet veterans and those taking part in the march past to hear their remarkable stories-"
BBC News - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph, 2015

The BBC link doesn't work outside the UK.

I guess she will be there. I haven't seen anything stating she won't attend.

TM The King and Queen of The Netherlands are to be the first to arrive at the Sovereigns Entrance of the FO this morning.

BBC News - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph, 2015

The King isn't wearing his uniform

The Queen is to lead Britain in a silent mark of respect to honour the nation's war dead as a Remembrance Sunday service gets underway at the Cenotaph in central London this morning.

The monarch will be joined by the Duke of Edinburgh, members of the leading political parties and Prince Harry, whose involvement marks his official transition into a full-time royal. This year marks the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

A two-minute silence will take place at 11am and wreaths will be laid at the foot of the Whitehall memorial, followed by a veterans' march.
Read more: Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph to mark Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I suppose he only wears it in the Netherlands when attending a Dutch military ceremony. Duc et Pair or Marengo should be able to explain to us.
My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.

I thought it was very neatly done with the inclusion of the Dutch King.
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.
Then came William, Harry and Prince Andrew laying their wreaths together.
Then the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne and the Duke of Kent laid their wreaths.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...

Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...

I wonder when we will be able to get some pictures.

My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.

When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.

https://www.defensie.nl/english/lat...l-retain-close-relationship-with-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.

Last edited:

Yes, it was very neatly done and Jeremy Corbyn song the national anthem.

Exactly. I agree with it all! And a huge sigh on the politicians. Would it have hurt them to walk beside each other?

When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.

https://www.defensie.nl/english/lat...l-retain-close-relationship-with-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.
Ah, thank you very much, I did not know that! :)

I guess it was a good thing that Charles and Camilla were in NZ and so Maxima could take Camilla's spot on the balcony otherwise somebody would have had to move elsewhere. Also I suspect that next year the same format will be used with the royals laying their wreaths in groups but with the Queen laying hers first, then Philip by himself then Charles by himself, then William Harry and Andrew in a group followed by Anne Edward and The Duke of Kent in a group.

Exactly. I agree with it all! And a huge sigh on the politicians. Would it have hurt them to walk beside each other?

It would've been a great touch to lay aside party politics for a few seconds and show they were there representing the people not their parties or even themselves. Would've been the same in Sweden - a kindergarten shows more maturity than the Riksdag these days... and then people question why I'm a royalist...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

If you watch everybody laying their wreaths, apart from the Queen, King of the Netherlands and Philip everybody else bar the politicians lay theirs in groups. The rest of the RF, heads of the military, the High Commissioners of Commonwealth countries. IMO it made the politicians looks what they are....petty and childish.

It would've been a great touch to lay aside party politics for a few seconds and show they were there representing the people not their parties or even themselves. Would've been the same in Sweden - a kindergarten shows more maturity than the Riksdag these days... and then people question why I'm a royalist...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. At moments like these they should just suck it up to be frank.

Queen Maxima is the best dressed by a mile as I knew she would be. The hair and hat are immaculate.

The King of the Netherlands has worn his uniforms regularly, also after his accession. (Here you see him in a naval uniform, here in an army uniform, etc.) However, King Olav V of Norway also never did attend in uniform, see picture. I think both King Olav (known as a lover of military wear) as well King Willem-Alexander choose to keep it a British (and Commonwealth) Remembrance indeed.

Last edited:
The Queen, accompanied by members of the Royal Family (including King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima of the Netherlands), attended the Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph, London - November 8, 2015.

Video in the article
Remembrance Sunday marked across UK - BBC News
The Queen has led tributes to the UK's war dead at the annual Remembrance Sunday service in central London.

Thousands gathered at the Cenotaph memorial in Whitehall for a two-minute silence to honour those killed in World Wars One and Two and later conflicts.

The monarch, Prime Minister David Cameron and the other main political party leaders all laid wreaths.

Events have also taken place around the UK, including in Edinburgh, where First Minister Nicola Sturgeon laid a wreath.

In Pictures: Remembrance Sunday - BBC News

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...5484_f7519bec-1682-4bd7-ac9e-1f376a6ada50.jpg

Video in the article
Remembrance Sunday: Britain Honours War Dead
Remembrance ceremonies are being held across the country to honour those who gave their lives during 100 years of conflict.

Under a leaden sky in London the Queen has led the nation in a 2 minute silence, remembering the country's war dead.

This year's ceremony was slightly shorter to reduce the time elderly war veterans had to stand.

Her Majesty, joined by the Duke of Edinburgh and other members of the Royal family, laid a wreath at the Cenotaph as part of the annual commemoration.

King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands also placed a wreath at the foot of the Whitehall memorial, following an invitation from the Queen to mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands after the end of the Second World War.

Video in the article
Remembrance Sunday: Queen leads nation in tribute to the fallen - Telegraph
The nation has fallen silent to pay tribute to the country's war dead in a Remembrance Sunday service led by the Queen.

The monarch was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh as well as other senior members of the Royal Family and members of the leading political parties at the Cenotaph in central London.

A two-minute silence took place at 11am before wreaths were laid at the foot of the Whitehall memorial, followed by a veterans' march.

The Queen was the first to lay her wreath, followed by the King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, who was invited to mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands after the end of the Second World War.

Queen Elizabeth II leads nation on Remembrance Sunday, in pictures - Telegraph

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03495/poppy-queen-wreath_3495006k.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - The UK Observes Remembrance Sunday - Zimbio

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+UK+Observes+Remembrance+qZsof5FhGQLl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+UK+Observes+Remembrance+rTNPZzFkoBJl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+UK+Observes+Remembrance+4AKscEe9tkJl.jpg

Video in the article
Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/12/2E3BD1F400000578-3308996-image-a-255_1446985204576.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/11/2E3B94D600000578-3308996-image-a-193_1446981419176.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...of_respect_to_honour_-m-192_1446981409717.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/11/2E3B9F3900000578-3308996-image-a-207_1446981778088.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/11/2E3BB35F00000578-3308996-image-a-221_1446983346988.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...-3308996-Prince_Harry-a-226_1446984043331.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/11/2E3BAAC500000578-3308996-image-a-216_1446982867177.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/11/2E3B83BC00000578-3308996-image-a-171_1446980747052.jpg

Video:
The Queen has laid a wreath on the steps of the Cenotaph in central London this morning, as part of the national service of remembrance to honour Britain's war-dead. The service also saw other senior members of the Royal Family – including the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip, Duke of Cambridge Prince William, Prince Harry and the Duke of York Prince Andrew – laying wreaths alongside the Prime Minister David Cameron and King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

Home - ITNSource News

Last edited:
I've just returned from London so catching up, but thanks for all the pictures and links etc to the Remembrance events this weekend. Whitehall was very quiet last night, with just a few preparations in place for today's ceremony. This morning, you could see many people dressed in uniforms or in black with medals and wreathes. Very poignant.

Back
Top Bottom