Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends': Prince Harry leaves emotional tribute as he returns to Afghanistan | Daily Mail Online

Prince Harry returned to Afghanistan today on behalf of the Queen as he led emotional tributes to friends who died in the name of war.
It was a highly symbolic return for the Prince, who was posted to the country to serve in the war in 2007-08 and again in 2012-13.
The 30-year-old left a highly personal wreath at Kandahar Airfield which read: 'There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. They will never be forgotten. Harry.'

So there, hope that proves that he does his bit and that he's committed to the military, rather GOOD form I'd say.

'Humble pie' at all Rudolph ?

Not at all. Harry this year is in Afghanistan. Nothing keeps him from being at the Cenotaph any other year. He's never been there as either a teen or adult. Bad form imo

Why? Is it bad form that not every serviceman or woman parades past the Cenotaph? Or should the people who serve in the military be able to remember those who served before them and their friends who lost their lives in private but together as a unit. This year Harry was in Afghanistan for a remembrance service, we can assume every year Harry attends a service similar to this and the Cenotaph service but that normally it is not in the media. Some people clearly think if a royal isn't photographed doing something they mustn't care.
I don't understand why its bad form for Harry not to be at the Cenotaph, he has no formal role at the service and so chooses to attend a private service. If/when he has a formal role at the Cenotaph I'm sure he will do his duty and attend, until then he is free to be like all other servicemen/women and attend remembrance events with his colleagues.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your opinion.. In mine, his everyday comittment to the armed forces [and his charitable activities], outweigh his [perceived] 'bad form'...

Last edited:
Not at all. Harry this year is in Afghanistan. Nothing keeps him from being at the Cenotaph any other year. He's never been there as either a teen or adult. Bad form imo

Never been at the Cenotaph? It has already been stated several times he attended in 2009 and 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Why? Is it bad form that not every serviceman or woman parades past the Cenotaph? Or should the people who serve in the military be able to remember those who served before them and their friends who lost their lives in private but together as a unit. This year Harry was in Afghanistan for a remembrance service, we can assume every year Harry attends a service similar to this and the Cenotaph service but that normally it is not in the media. Some people clearly think if a royal isn't photographed doing something they mustn't care.
I don't understand why its bad form for Harry not to be at the Cenotaph, he has no formal role at the service and so chooses to attend a private service. If/when he has a formal role at the Cenotaph I'm sure he will do his duty and attend, until then he is free to be like all other servicemen/women and attend remembrance events with his colleagues.

Hopefully he'll be given a formal role next year. He's currently the only active member of the military (among the BRF), and it would be nice to see him take part in the Cenotaph with the rest of the royals.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your opinion.. In mine, his everyday comittment to the armed forces [and his charitable activities], outweighs his [perceived] 'bad form'...
Rudolph - what I find bad form is looking to score points about a young man who has seen active service involving the deaths of men in his own regiment. The fact that several posters have pointed out that your sweeping comments are inaccurate only makes your most recent comments look distasteful in your efforts to maintain your stance. On this day of remembrance, please show some respect for men like Harry who have lost comrades and friends. How can you make hurtful judgements based on such superficial observations?

And his usual non attendance at the Remembrance Service is bad form. I'm back to my original opinion

He doesnt attend the service at Whitehall, but that does not mean he does not attend any service. For example, in 2010 he attended a service at Wootton Bassett which at the time was the repatriation point for those killed in Afghan. Other yrs he would have been with his regiment as a serving soldier.

I didn't say he doesn't care or he doesn't attend any service but Royals making public appearances at certain events sends a message. We all talk about this. Whether its trooping the colour or a state visit. Who is going and why or why not.

Of all public events on the royal calendar I'm willing to wager the Remembrance Service is at the top or near the top of importance to the Queen.

The service at the Cenotaph is where all the royals turn out to respect the fallen and the nation.

Last edited:
Hopefully he'll be given a formal role next year. He's currently the only active member of the military (among the BRF), and it would be nice to see him take part in the Cenotaph with the rest of the royals.

It may also be that being in the active military he prefers to be with his Command on the day, taking part in base services. It might have special meaning. It's speculation either way. But as he he honoring the country with his service, his two tours of active duty, I am content that whatever he does is more important than my commenting here on the Forums. ;)

It may also be that being in the active military he prefers to be with his Command on the day, taking part in base services. It might have special meaning. It's speculation either way. But as he he honoring the country with his service, his two tours of active duty, I am content that whatever he does is more important than my commenting here on the Forums. ;)

Yes, but he is first and foremost a member of the BRF, so I just imagined he would be there with the rest of the BRF. To be honest though, I'm not that bothered by his absence. He can choose to spend the day however he likes, I was just stating that it would be nice to see him there.

Of course his service is more important than our commenting on a message board, but that doesn't mean we can't give an opinion.

Last edited:
The Queen was applauded as she left the Cenotaph. According to reporters, it was a first and done as a salute to her courage for attending the event even with the recent terrorist threats against her.

The service at the Cenotaph is where all the royals turn out to respect the fallen and the nation.

While I don’t know exactly who was there there I saw the queen and prince Philip, prince Charles and Camilla, Prince William and Kate and Sophie (but not here husband). That’s hardly “all the royals”. You are for some reason singling out Harry. Why?

Video:
The Queen has led the nation in commemorating Britain's war dead during the Remembrance Sunday service in Whitehall today. The chimes of Big Ben marked the start of the traditional 2 minute silence, before Her Majesty laid a floral wreath of poppies at the base of the Cenotaph. The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge also laid wreaths, followed by the Prime Minister David Cameron-

Home - ITNSource News

Last edited:

Please don´t make a fool of yourself by repeating this "bad form" thing over and over again...:whistling:
Being with comrades down in Afghanistan on current active service, that´s where a member of the brit. RF really belongs to demonstrate respect and support! No ceremony, standing for 10 minutes at a stone pillar and putting down a wreath (I also repeat myself: Harry has done similarly last thursday in London at a ceremony usually only performed by senior members of the RF), could ever match that!

^^^ Don't make a fool of yourself by reducing the ceremony at the Cenotaph as standing in front of a stone pillar for 10 minutes and putting down a wreath.

If that's all you think it is well too bad for you

The Queen was applauded as she left the Cenotaph. According to reporters, it was a first and done as a salute to her courage for attending the event even with the recent terrorist threats against her.

Was she threatend personally or was it a threat spoken out against Britain?:ohmy:

^^^ Don't make a fool of yourself by reducing the ceremony at the Cenotaph as standing in front of a stone pillar for 10 minutes and putting down a wreath.

If that's all you think it is well too bad for you

Oh, I´m so sorry for you you have been proven all so wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is a silly question but I was wondering why the Queen wears 4 poppies?

Correct me if I am wrong but in the past hasn't members of the BRF represented the Queen during Remembrance Day services at locations other than the main celebration. I am pretty sure we have seen other pics of the Kents and Gloucesters at other locations in the past.

And you don't have to be at one location, at specific time to support those who fought. It your actions throughout the year.

The fact that they don´t only attend at one specific spot shows real caring and sympathy. If the RF was just gathered a the cenotaph year after year after year one could easily get the impression this would be just an empty duty to perform.
Plus: Especially the brit. soldiers on active duty have a right to be lead in remembrance by a prince of their royal family at this particular day, not only people back home!

With regard to Prince Harry, I always find that when one is ignorant of facts, information or details, one can easily jump to any conclusion or thought one likes. I say this advisedly on account of always doing it myself (a recent post of mine on the Japanese family current events proves the point).

I'm not sure where the Princess Royal and her husband were, or the Duchess of Kent or Princess Alexandra, but seeing as they are members of the royal family, I have no doubt whatsoever that they will be where they should be and nowhere else and will not hold it against them.

Its the same every year. Harry this year is in Afghanistan, Anne is in Canada. Other years Charles is away or William was in Afghanistan in 2011 but when they aren't away they are at the Cenotaph. It's national event not just for the BRF but for the country and Commonwealth.

This year aside, I think Harry should be attending this event. All the men in the BRF have served in the Armed Services so we know they support it. They all have military charities but they still attend this event at the Cenotaph. To say we know Harry supports the Army so the Cenotaph doesn't matter just doesn't cut it imo.

There is a reason royals gather for large national events. Using the logic that it only matters what they do throughout the year and not on one single day, then none of the royals need show up at Trooping the Colour since we all know they love the Queen and don't need to appear at her Bday celebration.

National events are national for a reason.

Sorry if this is a silly question but I was wondering why the Queen wears 4 poppies?

For the UK? I'm guessing. Anyone else? I bet we have covered this before and my atrocious memory is failing me. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom