Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pics 11.11.2009

Queen Elizabeth II arrives with the Duke of Edinburgh for the Passing
of the World War One Generation Memorial Service on Armistice Day
at Westminster Abbey in London, Britain 11 November 2009.

The armistice took effect on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th
month. The day has evolved into Veterans Day during which all war
veterans are remembered.

The combination of brooche and poppies is a very nice idea.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Here's an additional gallery from zimbio with more pics:

Prince Edward took part in the Armistice day commemorations as well,
he was at The Armed Forces Memorial in Lichfield, United Kingdom.

** Services Of Remembrance Are Held For The Fallen On Armistice Day **
__

Last edited:
I was reading over another thread at TRF and I was surprised to some people thinking the paper poppies were cheap looking. It never occurred to me that some people might think that or that they might be unaware of the significance of the poppies. Of course, In Flanders Fields is my favorite poem (in honor of my grandfather's service and sacrifice in WWI).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen looks splendid today. Her outfit is so youthful and elegant, one of my favourites for a very long time. And she really does show the rest how to do it, the tone is sombre and unfrivolous, but not full mourning as it's not expected. Top marks your Maj.

I quite agree James. QEII leads by example, here and her whole life long. The world will not see her equal on the throne....certainly not in my lifetime. Long live Her Majesty!

I can't say I really noticed what anyone was wearing, nor thinking about a time when HM is dead or what a brilliant job her successor will do, I was too busy remembering all the servicemen and women who have paid the ultimate price! Lest we forget!

Although this is regarding TRH visit to Canada, I thought this was the right place to put it -

This was the "Lest We Forget Table" on Wednesday, Remembrance Day, inside the gathering hub of the Royal Canadian Regiment, 1st and 3d Battalions, where the Prince of Wales – retired military father to two active military sons – came to pay his respect to Canadians. Throughout the 11-day, four-province royal tour, focused on history and the armed services, Charles has met with soldiers; young veterans from Afghanistan and old veterans from previous wars. He's given new colours to some regiments and inspected others. But on this afternoon, after laying a wreath during formal Remembrance Day ceremonies at the National War Memorial, there was an especially keen sense of fealty with the military, between the man-who-will-be-king and those who serve in uniform

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...nno-warm-words-from-a-prince-who-gets-it?bn=1

I was reading over another thread at TRF and I was surprised to some people thinking the paper poppies were cheap looking. It never occurred to me that some people might think that or that they might be unaware of the significance of the poppies. Of course, In Flanders Fields is my favorite poem (in honor of my grandfather's service and sacrifice in WWI).
Many here also have no idea of the significance of the poppy, that even to this day, in the UK, they are made by disabled ex servicemen/women and relatives.

I've made your poppy with pride from 31 Oct 2008 - mirror.co.uk

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Just a reminder that this service is about our fallen heroes!

I can't say I really noticed what anyone was wearing, nor thinking about a time when HM is dead or what a brilliant job her successor will do, I was too busy remembering all the servicemen and women who have paid the ultimate price! Lest we forget!

Although this is regarding TRH visit to Canada, I thought this was the right place to put it -
Many here also have no idea of the significance of the poppy, that even to this day, in the UK, they are made by disabled ex servicemen/women and relatives.
Thank you Skydragon for posting this. I grew up in a family that was very proud to have their menfolk serve in WWII and each year it was important for us to remember those that paid the price for our freedom. Lest We Forget are words that I learned as a very small child and as I grow old, appreciate more and more.

I was thinking over where would be the appropriate place to post this kind of a comment and I suppose this is the relevent place to do so about Charles and Camilla's visit to Canada.

All I can say is that with reading the various links and the comments made here in TRF, the "oneness" of Charles and Camilla really stood out for me during this visit. Its shown the world how close they are. e.g "I need to turn to my wife to find out what day it is" kind of thing.. The at-ease-ment way Camilla had of greeting one of our own TRF'ers.. the caring the both of them had by wishing a gift made to the Forces rather than the customary exchange of gifts... the projection of thought that not just 100 days.. but a 100 months for our planet. Their focus was on rememberance and it was done with much honor and grace.

THIS shows me a couple that I respect. I think the UK has a good thing in their future King and Queen.

Just my 2 cents worth. :wave:

Yes, I do realize that In Flanders Fields was actually written about the contributions of the British and Commonwealth soldiers, even before the U.S. had entered the war. But I think it's a lovely poem and universal in its meaning. (My grandfather was at all the major U.S. engagements and narrowly missed dying there, was a victim of the mustard gas.)

I don't know why the American organizations have given up on the poppy sales. Maybe they've found something more profitable, but it is a shame IMO. I was always willing to give money to the veterans, even if I didn't have much myself.

It's too bad that we Americans don't match our British friends in memory of these sacrifices.

:previous: Sorry iowabelle, I did not think for one moment that you didn't know. It was just a general observation regarding the poppy and 'In Flanders Field'.

Some people do not realise what the service is about, others simply don't care. :flowers:

A previous poster mentioned Princess Margaret's non-attendance at the Festival of Remembrance and the Cenotaph and I have to say that it always puzzled me as well. I don't know if she went in previous decades but she didn't attend once throughout the 1980's and 1990s certainly. Does anyone know why this was?

Angela she most certainly did attend during the 80's and/or 90's era. I hate to throw Diana into this but I distinctly remember seeing the both of them standing next to each during one of the Remembrance ceremonies.

I will try to look thru some books for a date.

:previous: Sorry iowabelle, I did not think for one moment that you didn't know. It was just a general observation regarding the poppy and 'In Flanders Field'.

Some people do not realise what the service is about, others simply don't care. :flowers:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound snappish. :flowers: I'm a little sensitive about the topic (and I hate that so many people don't know the history of the last century).

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound snappish. :flowers: I'm a little sensitive about the topic (and I hate that so many people don't know the history of the last century).
:flowers::flowers:I think what is worse, is those that do know and couldn't care less. Disgraceful!

A previous poster mentioned Princess Margaret's non-attendance at the Festival of Remembrance and the Cenotaph and I have to say that it always puzzled me as well. I don't know if she went in previous decades but she didn't attend once throughout the 1980's and 1990s certainly. Does anyone know why this was?
In 1996 she attended the armistice day parade at Stannington, Northumberland.

I was referring to PM 's non-attendance at the festival of remembrance and the Cenotaph in London not anything else. I didn't miss watching these events once throughout the 1980's and 1990's and I used to wonder every year why she wasn't there.

To make my post easier to understand, she was not at the Cenotaph in 1996 because she was representing HM in Stannington!:cool:

The point I am making is that, for at least 20 consecutive years, PM didn't attend the main remembrance events along with the rest of the RF, whatever she was doing elsewhere, and why was this? I thought the question I was asking was quite simple. Obviously not for some.

p.s. The event Skydragon refers to in 1996 dosn't explain her absence from the Festival of Remembrance that year.

The two events are totally separate and no, that was not what you asked, nor did you make it clear that you required to know only where she was when she did not attend both events in each year. Even a royal finds it hard to be in two places at once.:ermm:

There are many members who do not attend both events, that one year she was not in London at the Cenotaph because she was attending a service elsewhere.

poppy.jpg

Remembrance Day Services 2010

Last edited:

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in front of Westminster Abbey in the Field of
Remembrance on Armistice Day on November 11, 2010 in London. The Duke
of Edinburgh visited the Field of Remembrance and afterwards the Grave of
the Unknown Warrior to mark the 90th Armistice Day Anniversary.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

The Duke of Gloucester has attended the remembrance day service at the
Armed Forces Memorial on November 11, 2010 in Lichfield, United Kingdom.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio **

Does anybody know where HM was, or where the PoW and the DoC were for remembereance day services. They are usually at The Cenotaph, but I did not see any pictures today.

They must have been at the Cenotaph as the Queen always lays the first wreath there. HM has been absent very few times, mostly when she was either abroad on official visits or pregnant.:flowers: I haven't been able to find anything online yet either, so looking forward to seeing more photos!

:previous:
From the British Monarchy website:

The Remembrance Day ceremony is held on the second Sunday in November at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London.

The Queen, other members of the Royal Family and leaders of the country's political parties join representatives of the
Armed Forces and ex-servicemen and women for the two-minute silence and the last post.

Her Majesty then lays a wreath of poppies at the foot of the Cenotaph, followed by members of the Royal Family,
representatives of the political parties and High Commissioners from the Commonwealth.
A short religious service follows.

After the reveille and the national anthem, The Queen departs. The war veterans then march past the Cenotaph to pay their
respects to the fallen. A member of the Royal Family takes the salute as the war veterans finish their route at Horse Guards.

It's Muriel's fault, Warren.:p She almost convinced me we shouldn't wait until Sunday...:ROFLMAO: Oh my, you're right. It's always on the 2nd Sunday of November.

In picture one, does it look like The DoE has a black eye? Can't tell for certain, but it sure looks like it ..
Could be and it could be from lack of vitamins. Older people also tend to bruise easier. My grandmother's arms always looked like somebody beat on her.

Is that a bomb sniffing dog in 2nd picture? Or just a mascot?

It's Muriel's fault, Warren.:p She almost convinced me we shouldn't wait until Sunday...:ROFLMAO: Oh my, you're right. It's always on the 2nd Sunday of November.

At this stage, am I supposed to feign umbrage? :flowers:

Warren is right, it is the second Sunday of November!!

Back
Top Bottom