Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- 10:20AM BBC ONE-
BBC One - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Live Video Coverage has started on BBC ONE.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queen usually wears poppy's with five petals, I've tried googling it but i'm sure someones asked the question before. Time to trawl through the thread

New hat for Catherine potentially, and i think Edward has a different uniform on this year.
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/sta...55746167484416
Old 11-13-2016, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I noticed that some of the royals were wearing a different style poppy from the others; it was smaller and had five petals. Is there a significance or meaning behind it? I know you can get poppy badges in different sizes but I've never seen these ones before so I'm curious.
I did some trawling! A couple of posts on the issue, one of which is my own but i don't think it's quite accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Queen wear's a corsage of five poppies, each with two petals made from different fabrics. No official reason, some say it's for particular people in the war, some say it's for the members of her family she has lost since the war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
This is the essence of monarchy. Those nations who still have monarchical systems basically elevate these 'born royals' to a different sphere to the rest of us. The 'born royal' concept is pretty crucial when it comes time for a new monarch to take the throne; without it, we wouldn't have an hereditary monarchy, as it dictates that when the future Charles III dies it'll be King William V who comes next.

AdmirerUS said:

This is correct, Admirer, but there are a few different options for poppies in the UK. The Scots have their own poppy which is slightly different to that sold in the rest of the UK.

There's also the option of a much larger, more realistic poppy (worn here by Cherie Blair), which you can buy from the RBL but which will cost you more than the regular poppy. Over the years the RBL have started selling miniature poppy lapel pins which are metallic, as well as more 'glitzy' poppies such as that worn by Kate on Sunday. Again, these are more expensive and would be kept year to year. These poppies are handy because the normal paper poppy can become rather battered when taking coats on and off etc.

Oh, also, Camilla wore what appeared to be a large knitted poppy last year. Overall, though, the Queen, Charles, William and Kate etc. often wear a poppy which is slightly different to the basic poppy and is made specially for them by the RBL.

You're wishing you'd never brought this up now, aren't you? Overall, you can wear whatever poppy you want, you could even make your own, as long as you donate to the RBL.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Serene Highness

HM the Queen. The perfect head of state. [This weekend, more than ever]...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hmq.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	299656  
Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

'We will remember them': Military veterans honour their fallen comrades at the Cenotaph as the Queen prepares to lay a wreath for Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- 10:20AM BBC ONE-
BBC One - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph
Here are some photos from this mornings Service.

Queen Elizabeth Ii Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 AM
Royal Highness

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2016 | | Selda Göktaş
Old 11-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I find this ceremony at the Cenotaph such a moving event. Year after year it becomes more poignant.

Remembrance Sunday sees The Queen and world leaders honour the war dead at Cenotaph | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Nobility

The wonderful thing about the ceremony is that it almost never changes. It's a wonderful example of British understatement and simplicity. The music is outstanding. I defy anyone to listen to the massed bands playing Nimrod by Sir Edward Elgar and not feel tears come to their eyes. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

Every year I worry about HM walking backwards down those steps. Every year she does it perfectly.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Majesty

Sir Tim Laurence: What Remembrance means to me
Old 11-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
The wonderful thing about the ceremony is that it almost never changes. It's a wonderful example of British understatement and simplicity. The music is outstanding. I defy anyone to listen to the massed bands playing Nimrod by Sir Edward Elgar and not feel tears come to their eyes. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

Every year I worry about HM walking backwards down those steps. Every year she does it perfectly.
She did a slight stumble today. Prince Philip make sure he turn around to walk down the steps. She won't be able to do it in a while.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Queen leads Remembrance of War Dead-
Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree, the Cenotaph is a very moving and poignant event. I hope that HM is alright, I just saw a clip of her fall on the news and it didn't look too painful, but still, I hope she wasn't too damaged by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I did some trawling! A couple of posts on the issue, one of which is my own but i don't think it's quite accurate.
Well, it seems like it was worth trawling! Thank you for taking the time to do so, now it makes sense. I don't think I caught the question last time otherwise I would have remembered the five leaf poppies. I didn't realise you could make your own poppy either, that's interesting. I think the five leaf poppy is quite sweet! I like the knitted ones too but I wear the gemstone kind that Catherine has worn in the past.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

the first video above is not from 2016, it is 2015

No Charles and Camilla and definitely different clothes. ALso David Cameron is there, not Theresa May

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
the first video above is not from 2016, it is 2015

No Charles and Camilla and definitely different clothes. ALso David Cameron is there, not Theresa May
For some reason the above video has the 2015 event picture, but if you click on the video, it's 2016 Festival of Remembrance.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Dman.

I didn't look at the video as I've seen the whole event already.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Watched both events over at YouTube. I don't like posting in here until I've done that & know what everyone's talking about. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Kate joins the Queen and senior royals at the Royal Albert Hall for annual Festival of Remembrance* | Daily Mail Online

I love the song 'You'll Never Walk Alone.' Patti Labelle sings a beautiful version of it.

That's a very very special song to me & I adore it too. Josh Groban & Celtic Women have also sung stunning renditions of it too. I thought Alfie looked seconds away from tears when they showed him after that young lady had read the final stanza of her Poe as this year's Citation. Michael looked so proud of her, I thought buttons might go popping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I find this ceremony at the Cenotaph such a moving event. Year after year it becomes more poignant.

Remembrance Sunday sees The Queen and world leaders honour the war dead at Cenotaph | Daily Mail Online

And will become even more so over the coming years as our WWII Vets are leaving us at a faster rate. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post

1st, Nimrod is one of my very favourite Classical Music pieces period. I also defy anyone to not get the chills when that beautiful long crescendo reaches it's climax. It really is just a gorgeous piece of Music.

2nd, did you know going downstairs backwards is actually easier on your legs, lower back & joints? We have Summer Friends from Germany, Joachim had noticed Mom was having a harder time of walking & showed it to her. His Dr had recommended it to him to try & keep a Visit to an OR for a Hip Replacement as far off as possible & it really does help. I try to remember to do it, as my knees are...well...BLECH!! Mom's far better at doing it though & could be why HM has been able to go down those steps so easily.

I also saw the stumble & hope she didn't tweak or jar anything too badly. Speaking from experience, it's often what seems like a little thing, that can cause the most trouble w/your knees.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day