The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Majesty

The mother of King Olav V of Norway was Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of King Edward VII, sister of King George V and aunt of King George VI. This made King Olav himself a grandchild of King Edward VII. We may assume the many British family-links as well the British hospitality towards his family during WWII has made King Olav very closely attached to this Remembrance.

Parents of King Olav V
King Haakon of Norway, born Prince Carl of Denmark
Queen Maud of Norway, born Princess of the United Kingdom

Grandparents of King Olav V
King Frederik VIII of Denmark
Queen Louise of Denmark, born Princess of Sweden
King Edward VII of the United Kingdom
Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom, born Princess of Denmark

Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Queen Elizabeth II looks so tiny in this photo!
QEII's posture is very quickly changing, which at her age is not alarming. Let's hope her health will be strong for many years to come.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Majesty

A nice gallery from Royalista: GALLERY: Kate, Máxima and Sophie joined forces in London | Royalista
Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The royal ladies seem to have had a good chat together. I guess Maxima would know Sophie fairly well since the Wessexes represent the BRF at foreign royal events so much. Maybe pleasant encounters like this will spark an interest for William and Kate in getting to know their foreign counterparts a little better? Especially couples like Victoria and Daniel, who are so close to W and K in age, age of children, etc.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
I always feel sorry for Sir Tim Laurence when he is always relegated to the balcony with the spouses. Afterall, he has had a distinguished career in the Navy rising to the rank of Vice-admiral....which in the U.S. at least is a pretty high rank to achieve. I know Anne and even Edward are "colonel in chief" or something but those titles are honorary since Anne never served in the military and Edward didn't fulfill his enlistment obligation. At least Tim's title is earned through actual service. He always looks so quiet and dignified but I get the impression that the royals really don't know what to do with him so they stick him with the spouses. Seems like a subtle insult to me.
Agree.
I also think it looks like Tim has been demoted and forced to join the sideline with the women. A man needs to join the group so that Tim does not stand out or they should give him an honorary 'colonel in chief' so that he can join the men and place his own wreath.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, I see nothing wrong with how things played out and I imagine that Tim would be the last one to complain. Although he is married to the Princess Royal, he, himself, is not royal nor is he working for the Firm.

Giving him a honorary colonel-in-chief position is outside of the box on how things work and I just don't see it happening.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think Tim would ever complain. As I mentioned, he is always quiet and dignified. But as far as him being royal and therefore exempt from being able to participate in the ceremony, many people who are not royal laid wreaths.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I don't think Tim would ever complain. As I mentioned, he is always quiet and dignified. But as far as him being royal and therefore exempt from being able to participate in the ceremony, many people who are not royal laid wreaths.
Yes, but they lay them in the name of others. In the name of a country and in the name of a branch of military, in the name of their political affiliance etc. The queen does in the name of her country.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I always feel sorry for Sir Tim Laurence when he is always relegated to the balcony with the spouses. Afterall, he has had a distinguished career in the Navy rising to the rank of Vice-admiral....which in the U.S. at least is a pretty high rank to achieve. I know Anne and even Edward are "colonel in chief" or something but those titles are honorary since Anne never served in the military and Edward didn't fulfill his enlistment obligation. At least Tim's title is earned through actual service. He always looks so quiet and dignified but I get the impression that the royals really don't know what to do with him so they stick him with the spouses. Seems like a subtle insult to me.

He's with the spouses because he's the husband of the Princess Royal. No reason for him to be treated any differently, and it's hardly an insult to treat him the same way others who marry into the family are treated.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-10-2015, 01:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
He's with the spouses because he's the husband of the Princess Royal. No reason for him to be treated any differently, and it's hardly an insult to treat him the same way others who marry into the family are treated.

I agree. It's not like his manlihood is bruised or anything :P
Old 11-10-2015, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
QEII's posture is very quickly changing, which at her age is not alarming. Let's hope her health will be strong for many years to come.
I'm still seeing pics of her riding, one just recently. When she quits riding you'll know something has changed/happened.

LaRae
Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Most of the Royal spouses have a colonel in chief position-Camilla, Sophie, Duchess of Gloucester all have one. But they are all on the balcony too. A honorary military position doesn't mean automatic wreath laying.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Agree.
I also think it looks like Tim has been demoted and forced to join the sideline with the women. A man needs to join the group so that Tim does not stand out or they should give him an honorary 'colonel in chief' so that he can join the men and place his own wreath.
It's a sad world when people still think that standing with "the women" is a demotion.
He has done this for years - as have other men. I think they look proud up there in the balcony - to honor those who gave their lives.
2009 http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/928...YozSGoHg%3d%3d

2007 http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/158...VwHVtVcg%3d%3d
and
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/778...T232MlVKwCs%3d

and
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/742...YMy%2fJyBtY%3d
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's a sad world when people still think that standing with "the women" is a demotion.
He has done this for years - as have other men. I think they look proud up there in the balcony - to honor those who gave their lives.

and

and
Exactly. Standing with the women is not a demotion. What an aged way of thinking!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Just watching it now on BBC1

Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/...ce&sort=newest
When I click on the link it says no results found
Old 11-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

Exactly! In a way its unfortunate for Tim that Anne is (apart from the Queen which puts Philip, as consort, in a different position) the only senior female royal born into the royal family attending the service.
When you look at Tim and 'the women' on the balcony we have to remember we are seeing all 4 people (Tim, Sophie, Kate and Camilla) who have married into the RF, while only those who are born royal and Philip lay wreaths at the Cenotaph. Giving Tim any other role would just be unfair to the others who have married into the RF but wouldn't have a role.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

and

and
1 & 2 The Duke of Gloucester is standing next to his wife.
4 A King and Queen are standing on opposite ends.

3 Tim was in the military his sisters-in-law were not.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Exactly! In a way its unfortunate for Tim that Anne is (apart from the Queen which puts Philip, as consort, in a different position) the only senior female royal born into the royal family attending the service.
When you look at Tim and 'the women' on the balcony we have to remember we are seeing all 4 people (Tim, Sophie, Kate and Camilla) who have married into the RF, while only those who are born royal and Philip lay wreaths at the Cenotaph. Giving Tim any other role would just be unfair to the others who have married into the RF but wouldn't have a role.
Phillip was born royal. His mother was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and one of his grandfathers was the King of Denmark. I, believe, he was born at Windsor Castle. Giving Tim any other role would, also, be sexist. Though he did serve in the military and his wife has not.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Phillip was born royal. His mother was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and one of his grandfathers was the King of Denmark. I, believe, he was born at Windsor Castle. Giving Tim any other role would, also, be sexist. Though he did serve in the military and his wife has not.
Yes, to single out Tim and give him an additional role just because he's a male spouse wouldn't exactly be fair, either. He's up on the balcony with the spouses, as usual, because he's one of the spouses, which is a fact rather than a demotion (in fact, in royal terms, I suppose it could considered a promotion, since the wives are royal, but he isn't.) The fact that Tim is a man and served in the military don't really factor in here, in terms of protocol, since it's those who were born royal who get to lay wreaths. In any event, I think Tim's just fine. It's hardly the only occasion where he's among the spouses and, after nearly 23 years of marriage, I think he's probably accustomed to it by now!

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day