Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"In Flanders fields the poppies low/ Between the crosses, row on row."From the poem "In Flanders Fields" by John MacRae.

A very sad poem.

"In Flanders fields the poppies low/ Between the crosses, row on row."From the poem "In Flanders Fields" by John MacRae.

A very sad poem.
It is indeed but the start is thus - In Flanders' fields the poppies blow, Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place: and in the sky, The larks, still bravely singing, fly. I'm sure that is what you meant to put!:flowers: The whole poem and details of Poppy Day are on this thread - http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/remembrance-day-2008-a-18905.html#post847908

Would that the rest of the world felt the same, but until then we will wear our poppies for Remembrence on April 25, just as you do for November 11 in whichever place we find ourselves.

Interesting. We have traditionally worn rosemary for remembrance on ANZAC Day, and reserved poppies for Armistice Day. But the Australian War Memorial web site says that poppies are increasingly being used here as part of ANZAC Day services.

Oh well it happens to the best(and worst) of us, but perhaps I meant the poppies kept their heads respectfully low - then again I just made a mistake.......really only one little letter and you pick on me.:flowers:

Oh well it happens to the best(and worst) of us, but perhaps I meant the poppies kept their heads respectfully low - then again I just made a mistake.......really only one little letter and you pick on me.:flowers:
:eek::rose2:You can pick on me next!:notworthy:

Poppies are widely worn in Canada

The doctor who wrote In Flanders Fields was Canadian. You would never see a politician or a newcaster without a poppy from late October until Remembrance Day. Most people you see out and about are also wearing them.

It's become tradition in the last few years for people to lay their poppies on the tomb of the unknown soldier (in Ottawa) at the conclusion of the Remembrance Day services.

Here is more information on Remembrance Day Remembrance Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just noticed that Prince Andrew is wearing a Canadian Poppy

and Princess Eugenie is wearing a British one.

People are starting to do that at local cenotaphs as well. I started doing it after I saw it done in Ottawa, and it gives me a good feeling--kind of like I'm leaving my own little tribute. Besides, a person isn't supposed to wear the poppy after the ceremony, at least here in Canada. It's remarkable when the live pictures is shown on t.v. from above the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It actually looks like blood on the tomb. It's eerie but moving at the same time.

The doctor who wrote In Flanders Fields was Canadian. You would never see a politician or a newcaster without a poppy from late October until Remembrance Day. Most people you see out and about are also wearing them.

It's become tradition in the last few years for people to lay their poppies on the tomb of the unknown soldier (in Ottawa) at the conclusion of the Remembrance Day services.

Here is more information on Remembrance Day Remembrance Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Australia the poppies tend to be put on the names of loved ones on the Wall of Remembrance at the War Memorial in Canberra. This happens all year round, but is larger after both Anzac Day and Remembrance Day.

Google Image Result for http://www.rolandwooster.com/Architecture/slides/War%20Memorial.jpg

This is a picture of one of the long lists of names.

Elsewhere is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier but only official wreaths are put there.

If you don't have a loved one I don't know where people would put their poppies if they bothered to buy one in the gift shop there. As I have a relative's name on the wall I have never thought about what others may do.

I think the practice is dying out in the U.S. The poppies are pretty hard to find. Or maybe that's just where I live? Our celebrations tend to center around November 11, currently our "Veterans Day", formerly Armistice Day.

Well, part of the problem is that you have the two holidays, Memorial Day and Veterans Day, so it's a bit hard to know which one counts as the poppy commemoration.

Well, part of the problem is that you have the two holidays, Memorial Day and Veterans Day, so it's a bit hard to know which one counts as the poppy commemoration.
This is true. I just put the flag out anyway.
:amflag:

Hadn't thought of that, although we do put out flags at the graves of veterans on both days. Memorial Day has its origins in our Civil War so there ought not to be a poppy association. However, Americans have hijacked that holiday as a general day to commemorate all dead relatives and then have picnics. It marks the beginning of our summers.

As for November 11, most Americans IMO (although not the ones at RF!) are woefully uninformed as to our own history and probably don't know about Flanders fields, the poppies, etc. World War I is pretty much a forgotten war here. It breaks my heart to think that the sacrifices of men like my grandfather have been forgotten.

Last edited:
WWI is seen "up here" as when Canada developed a sense of herself as a nation--mainly because of the capture of Vimy Ridge. There's a huge Canadian memorial there. For that reason, WWI is remembered in a particular way.

I didn't know about the connection between Memorial Day and the Civil War. That's an interesting thing to learn. Thanks.:flowers:

Hadn't thought of that, although we do put out flags at the graves of veterans on both days. Memorial Day has its origins in our Civil War so there ought not to be a poppy association. However, Americans have hijacked that holiday as a general day to commemorate all dead relatives and then have picnics. It marks the beginning of our summers.

As for November 11, most Americans IMO (although not the ones at RF!) are woefully uninformed as to our own history and probably don't know about Flanders fields, the poppies, etc. World War I is pretty much a forgotten war here. It breaks my heart to think that the sacrifices of men like my grandfather have been forgotten.

When I was 14, the school organised a tour of the battlefields. We saw Ypres, Vimy Ridge, Pachendaele (sp?), the Somme etc etc and I have to say it was the moving experience of my life. A very bittersweet holiday to be honest but to stand at the Menin Gate and hear the last post to commemorate just two fallen soldiers a night really did cut deep. Basically, they read out the names and stories of the soldiers and that night's memorial is especially for them. I always make a point now of keeping the silence because WW1 is just as real to me as I suppose it was to the Queen Mother who mourned her brother each year. And when you look at it, the RF have their fair share of fallen soldiers to mourn.

it has disappointed me that neither William or Harry could attend the Festival of Remembrance tonight - when will these men ever step up to their royal duties. William spent the day on engagements in Wales but i amsure he could have made it back to London in time and Harry surely wont be doing any army training at nighttime so am sure they could have allowed him time to attend.
Both of them have not attend the Festival and it was only last year that William laid a wreath - they have had long enough in coming to terms with their future life as a royal and it is about time that they at least carried out these basci engagements - of the seniro royals they were the only two missing. It is of particular shame on Harry who served this year

Another superb festival tonight to commemorate the fallen in all the wars. Thank you to all who took part and a big thank you to all the girls and boys, who having returned from duty put on a display for us. Another big thank you to Hayley Westenra, who also sang tonight and gave such support to the troops in Afghanistan.:flowers:

The Royal Family were not the most important participants tonight, but it was nice of so many to attend!:flowers: It is always awe inspiring to see just how many lives have been lost over the years, signified by the falling of the poppies!

it has disappointed me that neither William or Harry could attend the Festival of Remembrance tonight - when will these men ever step up to their royal duties. William spent the day on engagements in Wales but i amsure he could have made it back to London in time and Harry surely wont be doing any army training at nighttime so am sure they could have allowed him time to attend.
Both of them have not attend the Festival and it was only last year that William laid a wreath - they have had long enough in coming to terms with their future life as a royal and it is about time that they at least carried out these basci engagements - of the seniro royals they were the only two missing. It is of particular shame on Harry who served this year

Do you know for sure that Harry wasn't on military duty? Someone is on duty at night and he has to take his turn. As they are both in the military I do think they are fully aware of what this day means. That they weren't there doesn't mean they weren't acknowledging the day, officially, as military personel do all round the world.

I normally don't support these two young wastrels but in this case there is no evidence that they didn't refuse to take part or weren't doing something else.

I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that Harry was on duty and that William was also acknowledging the day elsewhere until someone produces evidence to the contrary.

Another superb festival tonight to commemorate the fallen in all the wars. Thank you to all who took part and a big thank you to all the girls and boys, who having returned from duty put on a display for us. Another big thank you to Hayley Westenra, who also sang tonight and gave such support to the troops in Afghanistan.:flowers:
Hayley Westenra and Kathrine Jenkins have been over to Afghanistan several times. Why do we keep sending Country music people?? :confused:

Hayley Westenra does not sing Country music for that matter I don't think Katherine Jenkins does either.

Stellad

Ceremonies have taken place across the UK to remember the servicemen and women who lost their lives in all past and current armed conflicts.
The Queen led Remembrance Sunday tributes at the Cenotaph in London's Whitehall and thousands of veterans marched past the memorial

BBC NEWS | UK | Services remember British fallen

As usual a moving tribute to the fallen and the realisation that many will not march next year.

It was bitingly cold in the breeze, my feet are slightly sore but I have started to thaw out, (I have even taken my gloves off now)!:D

Wow...the Princess Royal looks incredible. A very nice dress and I'm don't recall ever seeing it before. Nice touch with the flowers flocked into the fabric. Also, HM & the Countess of Wessex look very nice.

Also, it was nice to see Prince William taking part in today's ceremony again this year. IIR, Prince Harry was scheduled to be on duty today?? I think it's wonderful that you see the younger royals (who were obviously not impacted by the devastation of 1914-1918) take part in the ceremony. A great way to remind the younger generation of what happened...and what can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom