The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Dutch Royals lived for a time in Canada during the war. The King made mentioned of it when he visited Ottawa.
Princess Juliana and her two daughters came to Canada in 1940 I think and then Princess Margreit was born here. They actually lived in Ottawa for five years.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II leads nation on Remembrance Sunday, in pictures - Telegraph

Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Haha, that thought crossed my mind as well. Sophie and Kate would have had to sit on chairs so their heads would end up under the brims.

I agree! Very sweet moments :) Looked like they had a nice time!
I wonder what they talked about... Kate isn't very into meeting foreign royals very often
Old 11-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I wonder what they talked about... Kate isn't very into meeting foreign royals very often
A bit off topic, but Max has a rep as a very engaging person. Back when Charlene was newly married in Monaco, the story went around that Max had established a friendship and really helped C with the in the public eye pressure thing. Shortly thereafter, Charlene seemed to emerge from some of her shyness.
I do see that engaging side of Queen M and believe she's very generous inter-personally with people. JMO
Old 11-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post

Kate has actually met a lot of foreign royals with the events of the diamond jubilee, 2012 Olympics, WWI service in Belgium. Plus who gets sent to what event i.e. Royal weddings, inaugurations, funeral isn't up to Kate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
A bit off topic, but Max has a rep as a very engaging person. Back when Charlene was newly married in Monaco, the story went around that Max had established a friendship and really helped C with the in the public eye pressure thing. Shortly thereafter, Charlene seemed to emerge from some of her shyness.
I do see that engaging side of Queen M and believe she's very generous inter-personally with people. JMO
yes, charlene admitted herself how maxima was a big help to her but charlene's friendship with maxima is not the only one which we know about. Maxima reportedly was also a big support to masako, with her depression and in getting her back into royal life. let's not forget that masako's only international trip in decades was to the netherlands for her good friend maxima's coronation! max is good friends with mette marit and maxima and mathilde are close since mathilde helped maxima settle in belgium at the start of her relationship with WA. marie chantal also praised maxima's friendliness, confidence and spontaneous self and mentioned that she's like her daughter to grow up as confident as maxima.

so she certainly has a good pool of relationships amongst foreign royalty.

as for kate, i believe she must have met a lot of foreign royals at the diamond jubilee and most certainly at the olympics. she also met with the danish crown prince couple in copenhagen, with mathilde and philippe in belgium, and now with maxima so she slowly is getting acquainted with a number of people from foreign circles.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Kate has actually met a lot of foreign royals with the events of the diamond jubilee, 2012 Olympics, WWI service in Belgium. Plus who gets sent to what event i.e. Royal weddings, inaugurations, funeral isn't up to Kate.

That's right, Catherine has met a great deal of royals as a senior royal. I'm sure she had a nice little chat with Queen Maxima. I've said in the past, she and William aren't the ones that's regularly sent to foreign royal events, and I think they should be the main ones sent so they can form even a better relationship with their royal counterparts.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

I would like to see Edward and Sophie step back a little bit and have the Queen send William and Kate to more European royal events. After all, when William becomes king, most of the current new young European monarchs and monarchs-to-be (crown princes) will still be around and it is important that William knows them.

Unfortunately, there won't be any European royal weddings now for at least the next 15 or 20 years.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
[...] WA could have acted as a spectator, too and lay a wreath at another, less prominent occasion. [...]
The King has been invited by The Queen to attend on Remembrance Sunday. As the BBC stated yesterday: it was the first time that a foreign head-of-state was invited to have an active role in the National Remembrance at the Cenotaph.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

The tie between UK and Netherlands have always been close but WW2 saw British frigates transporting the Dutch Royals to England when they escaped (just) from the Nazi invasion. I've been reading about it in the book "Princes at War". The Dutch Queen apparently arrived in a nightgown and raincoat.

And whilst Juliana took the children to Canada, Queen Wilhelmina stayed in the UK along with Dutch Government-in-exile. The site of this is near Marble Arch, close to Tyburn.

I thought that the tribute King W-A paid in thanking the British people was wonderful.

EDIT: I meant to add that not only is this the 70th anniversary of Dutch liberation, it is also that there are so few veterans left that perhaps a personal thank-you by W-A was the reason he was there.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

I always feel sorry for Sir Tim Laurence when he is always relegated to the balcony with the spouses. Afterall, he has had a distinguished career in the Navy rising to the rank of Vice-admiral....which in the U.S. at least is a pretty high rank to achieve. I know Anne and even Edward are "colonel in chief" or something but those titles are honorary since Anne never served in the military and Edward didn't fulfill his enlistment obligation. At least Tim's title is earned through actual service. He always looks so quiet and dignified but I get the impression that the royals really don't know what to do with him so they stick him with the spouses. Seems like a subtle insult to me.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Lawrence is also an Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The Queen. A position which was also held by Captain Mark Phillips, by the way. In that capacity he could have had an active role too. Yesterday King Willem-Alexander was helped by one of his Aides-de-Camp. Sir Timothy could have done the same for The Queen.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
yes, charlene admitted herself how maxima was a big help to her but charlene's friendship with maxima is not the only one which we know about. Maxima reportedly was also a big support to masako, with her depression and in getting her back into royal life. let's not forget that masako's only international trip in decades was to the netherlands for her good friend maxima's coronation! max is good friends with mette marit and maxima and mathilde are close since mathilde helped maxima settle in belgium at the start of her relationship with WA. marie chantal also praised maxima's friendliness, confidence and spontaneous self and mentioned that she's like her daughter to grow up as confident as maxima.

as for kate, i believe she must have met a lot of foreign royals at the diamond jubilee and most certainly at the olympics. she also met with the danish crown prince couple in copenhagen, with mathilde and philippe in belgium, and now with maxima so she slowly is getting acquainted with a number of people from foreign circles.

Well, Kate didn't recognize or acknowledge King Felipe VI at the Belgian WWI ceremony. She curtsied politely to King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, but made no gesture suggesting that they were friends or close. Philippe of course is much older, but Mathilde is actually only 9 or 10 years older than Kate (as are also Letizia and Mary), and Victoria is only 5 years older. I could easily see them being closer if the British Royal Family were not so "isolationist".
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Kate meet and greeted Felipe beforehand at the same event, there were plenty of photos showing that.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Kate meet and greeted Felipe beforehand at the same event, there were plenty of photos showing that
this is one of them -

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ffbf6cd1f9.jpg

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Thank you Cepe.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King has been invited by The Queen to attend on Remembrance Sunday. As the BBC stated yesterday: it was the first time that a foreign head-of-state was invited to have an active role in the National Remembrance at the Cenotaph.
I was wondering if anyone can recall why King Olav attended the ceremony all those years ago?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Queen with Philip, Willem-Alexander and Máxima.
https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...55&oe=56B02037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Lovely photos, particularly of The Queen, William, and Catherine.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's keep this thread on Remembrance Day Services. If you wish to discuss the relationship between the BRF and the other royal houses, you can do so in the Windsors and Europe thread. Any further off-topic talk will be deleted.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

A little bit off topic, but by reading your comment the picture came to my mind how the royal ladies form-up a What's app chat group and chat on their engagements or fool around by sending each other selfies. I imagined how Kate & Maxima sent out a selfie making funny faces and the other royal ladies make fun of it. I guess Maxima would be the administrator of that group :-))))

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day