The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen, accompanied by members of the Royal Family (including King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima of the Netherlands), attended the Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph, London - November 8, 2015.

Video in the article
Remembrance Sunday marked across UK - BBC News
Quote:
The Queen has led tributes to the UK's war dead at the annual Remembrance Sunday service in central London.

Thousands gathered at the Cenotaph memorial in Whitehall for a two-minute silence to honour those killed in World Wars One and Two and later conflicts.

The monarch, Prime Minister David Cameron and the other main political party leaders all laid wreaths.

Events have also taken place around the UK, including in Edinburgh, where First Minister Nicola Sturgeon laid a wreath.
In Pictures: Remembrance Sunday - BBC News

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cps...376a6ada50.jpg

Video in the article
Remembrance Sunday: Britain Honours War Dead
Quote:
Remembrance ceremonies are being held across the country to honour those who gave their lives during 100 years of conflict.

Under a leaden sky in London the Queen has led the nation in a 2 minute silence, remembering the country's war dead.

This year's ceremony was slightly shorter to reduce the time elderly war veterans had to stand.

Her Majesty, joined by the Duke of Edinburgh and other members of the Royal family, laid a wreath at the Cenotaph as part of the annual commemoration.

King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands also placed a wreath at the foot of the Whitehall memorial, following an invitation from the Queen to mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands after the end of the Second World War.
Video in the article
Remembrance Sunday: Queen leads nation in tribute to the fallen - Telegraph
Quote:
The nation has fallen silent to pay tribute to the country's war dead in a Remembrance Sunday service led by the Queen.

The monarch was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh as well as other senior members of the Royal Family and members of the leading political parties at the Cenotaph in central London.

A two-minute silence took place at 11am before wreaths were laid at the foot of the Whitehall memorial, followed by a veterans' march.

The Queen was the first to lay her wreath, followed by the King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, who was invited to mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands after the end of the Second World War.
Queen Elizabeth II leads nation on Remembrance Sunday, in pictures - Telegraph

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...h_3495006k.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - The UK Observes Remembrance Sunday - Zimbio

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...sof5FhGQLl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...NPZzFkoBJl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...KscEe9tkJl.jpg

Video in the article
Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6985204576.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6981419176.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6981409717.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6981778088.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6983346988.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6984043331.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6982867177.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6980747052.jpg

Video:
The Queen has laid a wreath on the steps of the Cenotaph in central London this morning, as part of the national service of remembrance to honour Britain's war-dead. The service also saw other senior members of the Royal Family – including the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip, Duke of Cambridge Prince William, Prince Harry and the Duke of York Prince Andrew – laying wreaths alongside the Prime Minister David Cameron and King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

Home - ITNSource News

Old 11-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I've just returned from London so catching up, but thanks for all the pictures and links etc to the Remembrance events this weekend. Whitehall was very quiet last night, with just a few preparations in place for today's ceremony. This morning, you could see many people dressed in uniforms or in black with medals and wreathes. Very poignant.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

I think the way old King Olav of Norway back in the (1970s ? and) 1980s used to handle it, wearing no uniform and standing on the balcony with the british royal ladies, was a more fitting way!

In regards of protocol, he is equally ranked to the british Queen, but still had to stand behind her in 2nd row at this particular ceremony. Standing with the Queen and the british royal men down on the street made it all a bit difficult while no such "problems" came up with the way things were handled with King Olav V.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I think the way old King Olav of Norway back in the (1970s ? and) 1980s used to handle it, wearing no uniform and standing on the balcony with the british royal ladies, was a more fitting way!

In regards of protocol, he is equally ranked to the british Queen, but still had to stand behind her in 2nd row at this particular ceremony. Standing with the Queen and the british royal men down on the street made it all a bit difficult while no such "problems" came up with the way things were handled with King Olav V.
I understand what you mean, but I think this worked well as well since it's a special occation and it was more of a "thanks from the Netherlands"-wreath he lay on behalf of his country to honor the British.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

It was all very impressive. I was glad to see that Queen Maxima is recovered and accompanied King Willem-Alexander to the ceremony. I'm also pleased that Jeremy Corbyn at last showed some common sense, wore a red poppy, sang the National Anthem and laid a wreath.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

W-A is standing with only Philip, the other British royals are behind them. He was invited by the Queen to lay a wreath. It is the British Remembrance service so the Queen should lay her wreath first. W-A went 2nd and then Philip. The Queen is the more senior monarch in terms of length of reign so she has precedence over W-A anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

What the heck? Unusual for the balcony... http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id496248852

Edit - I take this back - off to the left you can also see the Admiral is turned a quarter toward the Queen. (look at his coat buttons). I'm guessing it was as they came out/left.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
What the heck? Unusual for the balcony... http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id496248852

Edit - I take this back - off to the left you can also see the Admiral is turned a quarter toward the Queen. (look at his coat buttons). I'm guessing it was as they came out/left.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ilvyCDNov-...d%2Bmaxima.jpg
Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.

https://www.defensie.nl/english/late...h-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.
Off topic here but King Willem Alexander does have a uniform and wears it when appropiate,like fe on Veterans Day each and every year.

As Always,all was beautifully and respectfully done!Was good to see TM the King & Queen of The Netherlands in attendance.An appropiate gesture for QEII to invite them,and equally appropiate to emphasize the gratitude towards the Britsh who gave their lives for our Liberation.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

The people on the balcony are out there before the Queen and the wreath layers come out.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

The King was invited by Queen Elizabeth II to lay a wreath so clearly he accepted that invitation and laid a wreath which he couldn't do if he was standing on the balcony. I'm not 100% sure but given that King Olav appears to have attended the service on more than one occasion I guess it wasn't appropriate or necessary for him to lay a wreath every time so as such he stood on the balcony.
The King stood slightly behind the Queen but to her right while Philip stood slightly behind her and to her left. I think this was entirely appropriate given that the Queen was leading her nation in a moment of Remembrance, the King was given all the appropriate honours and protocol, he walked out onto the parade standing next to Queen Elizabeth II. I suspect part of the positioning was to create a neat symmetry, the Queen flanked either side and then the other royals laying wreaths in groups of 3 either side as well.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The King was invited by Queen Elizabeth II to lay a wreath so clearly he accepted that invitation and laid a wreath which he couldn't do if he was standing on the balcony. I'm not 100% sure but given that King Olav appears to have attended the service on more than one occasion I guess it wasn't appropriate or necessary for him to lay a wreath every time so as such he stood on the balcony.
The King stood slightly behind the Queen but to her right while Philip stood slightly behind her and to her left. I think this was entirely appropriate given that the Queen was leading her nation in a moment of Remembrance, the King was given all the appropriate honours and protocol, he walked out onto the parade standing next to Queen Elizabeth II. I suspect part of the positioning was to create a neat symmetry, the Queen flanked either side and then the other royals laying wreaths in groups of 3 either side as well.
Haha, I'm sorry. This might not be entirely appropriate. But I got the silliest image in my head of him standing on the balcony and throwing the wreath as one of those life-savers on boats. Or like a horseshoe..
Old 11-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Hasn't Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg been a guest on the balcony several times as well?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I suppose he only wears it in the Netherlands when attending a Dutch military ceremony. Duc et Pair or Marengo should be able to explain to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King of the Netherlands has worn his uniforms regularly, also after his accession. (Here you see him in a naval uniform, here in an army uniform, etc.) However, King Olav V of Norway also never did attend in uniform, see picture. I think both King Olav (known as a lover of military wear) as well King Willem-Alexander choose to keep it a British (and Commonwealth) Remembrance indeed.

King Willem-Alexander was honourably discharged from the army upon his ascending the throne. After that he's allowed to wear a uniform with Royal insignia as opposed to his former rank insignia indicating he's not an active member of the armed forces anymore.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

You forget that King Olav laid no wreath but was "just" a spectator. King Willem-Alexander actively laid a wreath and unless he has magical powers, this required him to stand at the Cenotaph down below...

Queen Elizabeth II and King Willem-Alexander arrived and left together as a pair. Only before the Cenotaph, the Queen stood one step before King Willem-Alexander, which is understandable as she leads the Nation and the Commonwealth in the remembrance, not the high guest from the Netherlands.

Look at this picture: an impeccably dressed gentlemen, with well-tailored black coat, spotlessly polished shoes, neatly combed hair, even not forgetting the typically British poppies in the lapels, with a touching tribute on the wreath... No I think, complaints about the look are misplaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
King Willem-Alexander was honourably discharged from the army upon his ascending the throne. After that he's allowed to wear a uniform with Royal insignia as opposed to his former rank insignia indicating he's not an active member of the armed forces anymore.

Like any retired or discharged officer the King is allowed to wear a military uniform when appropriate. The royal distinctives were specially designed to go with the uniform of a supreme commander but not with the rank of a General, the rank of an Admiral, no: it shows that it is The King.

The Orb, the Sceptre and the Sword-of-State together: see picture. It is an inventive solution which does justice to the King's position in combination with his inactive military position.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

King Olaf was also the Queen's cousin.His mother was the sister of George V.

W-A isn't a British military honorary colonel like some other foreign monarchs so he can't wear a British uniform. I don't see anything wrong with what he wore.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Like any retired or discharged officer the King is allowed to wear a military uniform when appropriate. The royal distinctives were specially designed to go with the uniform of a supreme commander but not with the rank of a General, the rank of an Admiral, no: it shows that it is The King.

The Orb, the Sceptre and the Sword-of-State together: see picture. It is an inventive solution which does justice to the King's position in combination with his inactive military position.

So the insignia is a first, created especially for the King?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

PPE

PPE Agency
Old 11-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
So the insignia is a first, created especially for the King?

In short (because this is out of topic): yes, these were specially designed for the King. Here in the naval version: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jun2013/PPE13062045.jpg
Old 11-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
In short (because this is out of topic): yes, these were specially designed for the King. Here in the naval version.

In short - Thank you for responding. I like the insignia and the thought behind it.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Majesty

what a great celebration that remembrance day is.

i am glad to see the dutch king and queen present this year. i wonder why exactly they got invited this year specifically? i wonder where they stayed: i guess the embassy is a good guess. are they guests to the ambassador when they travel around? i'd assume from a security perspective, staying there would be the easiest, but i can also see the benefit of staying in a hotel as people wouldn't know in which one they are staying. in any case it's great to see maxima looking recovered and superb.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day