Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must admit that I'd never really had concerns about 'inclusivity' in the RBL Festival of Remembrance - so I guess it's a good topic to raise here, to encourage discussion!
I enjoy this event and look forward to it every year. I wonder if those who feel offended by the religious content have watched the entire event? I am always impressed by the solemnity of the occasion, the respect that is shown to all those who have fought in many wars over the years, and the comfort that those left behind seem to gain from being able to talk about their loved ones. There is a large input from ex-service members from many countries, from their loved ones left behind, and an impressive turnout from the Royal Family. And I, as a fairly non-religious and rarely-church-going 'Presbyterian', do not feel in the least bit offended by a couple of traditional hymns and prayers at the end of the Festival.

Do people on the forum really feel it's time to change this event?

Not me. As a Catholic I wouldn't feel excluded because a CoE clergyman presided over the event. Have we really gotten to the point there needs to be a *disclaimer* before something so no one feels personally slighted or left out?

Everyone toughen up.

LaRae

If there is to be change, I don't think we'll see it until after Charles takes the throne. Out of the respect for HM, The Queen and her profound dedication to the Church of England, it will remain as is. Most likely to change it while the Queen is still alive would be tantamount to a sacrilege to her.

Just watched the Remembrance Sunday service and the DOE looked so frail leaning on the wall. I just forget that the man in 96.

I love the Festival of Remembrance and believe it is the entire opposite of exclusive, it is inclusive. You cannot truly understand the event, if you see it as divisive in my opinion.

I don’t think it should ever be changed or “modernized”. It’s a solemn occasion to remember not remember “lite”.

The Queen will mark the centenary of the end of WWI alongside with the German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier next month

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-wreath-Cenotaph-mark-100-years-end-WWI.html

I'm pleased about this.

As well as the service at Westminster Abbey in the evening there are also services in Glasgow (Princess Royal attending); Cardiff (Wessexes) and Belfast (not yet announced prob for security reasons).

There is also an events in France (Paris and Mons). Heads of State and Government, inc Pres Trump, are in Paris. No word on who we are sending but Charles now represents HMQ at the wreath laying so I expect either William or Harry to go.

In 2014 they sent Andrew to Belfast so I would expect that he will be sent again:

Charles in London, Anne in Glasgow, Edward in Cardiff only leaves Andrew of the Queen's children.

They could decide to send Charles to France and have William in London of course.

The Royal Family‏Verified account @RoyalFamily Nov 1
This November marks 100 years since the end of the First World War To commemorate #Armistice100, every day until Remembrance Sunday we'll be sharing items from the Royal Archives that document how The Royal Family & Royal Household played a part in #WWI: https://t.co/nSU2vC0s5A

4 August 1914: Britain declares War on Germany. #Armistice100 King George V writes in his diary, “This evening. I held a Council at 10.45 to declare war with Germany, it is a terrible catastrophe but it is not our fault.”

“An enormous crowd collected outside the Palace… & it was a never to be forgotten sight when May & I with David went on to the balcony, the cheering was terrific. Please God it may be soon over & that he will protect dear Bertie's life”

12 August 1914 - George V sends a message to the British Expeditionary Force as they are deployed to France: “I shall follow your every movement with deepest interest & mark with eager satisfaction your daily progress, indeed your welfare will never be absent from my thoughts.”

28 September 1914: General Lambton keeps the King updated on events in France. “The Spirit of the troops continues excellent, & they seem confident in themselves, but are of course anxious to finish off this Trench life, during which they are subject to constant bombardment.”

To find out more and read extracts from Queen Mary and Edward, Prince of Wales visit our website: https://www.royal.uk/first-world-war-royal-archives …
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1057954239786504192

I'm pleased about this.

As well as the service at Westminster Abbey in the evening there are also services in Glasgow (Princess Royal attending); Cardiff (Wessexes) and Belfast (not yet announced prob for security reasons).

There is also an events in France (Paris and Mons). Heads of State and Government, inc Pres Trump, are in Paris. No word on who we are sending but Charles now represents HMQ at the wreath laying so I expect either William or Harry to go.

Do you know which heads of state and/or heads of government will attend the celebrations in France besides President Trump ?

I find it interesting how the members of the BRF are listed in the program.

LaRae

^Why so, Pranter ?

Because so much carrying on is done now and then (here and elsewhere) about the order of precedence. Some evidently think it should be done differently.

LaRae

I second the question as it seems to me they are listed in the order of succession.

I think it's all in the order of precedence with the exception of Cambridges and Sussexes? Which isn't surprising as that's been the SOP for awhile.

No mention on who will represent the UK in the celebrations in France ?

When is the main celebration in France? It's such a short trip that they might be able to do both depending on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's all in the order of precedence with the exception of Cambridges and Sussexes? Which isn't surprising as that's been the SOP for awhile.

Order of succession of those attending—Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Anne, Duke of Gloucester, Duke of Kent, Prince Michael. That’s normally how they sit for services as well if you check photos.

It will be the very first time Harry and Meghan attends the Festival of Remembrance. For some odd reason Harry has never attended until now.

Has he usually been out of the country during these events ? Seems like for some things he was elsewhere.

LaRae

Isn't that strange though? Harry has at least fought on the frontlines.

Yeah, since he would turn up to the Cenotaph the next morning. I think attending is just one of those signs that the Sussex’s taking on more senior responsibilities. The same went for the Cambridge’s. William first started attending in 2015. He and Catherine have been going since then.

I find it interesting how the members of the BRF are listed in the program.

LaRae

In what way?

It seems fairly normal to me.

Has he usually been out of the country during these events ? Seems like for some things he was elsewhere.

LaRae

He has usually been at the rugby. England has a test match against the All Blacks on Saturday. I am surprised he isn't going to that.

William also has missed the Festival to attend the rugby (Wales are playing the Wallabies on Saturday).

All Blacks = New Zealand
Wallabies = Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy the poor guys who gave their life are still remembered and celebrated !

Prince Harry looks his absolute best when dressed in uniform, even more so now that he is an aide-de-camp to The Queen. The addition of the gold braiding cords have really taken the uniform to the next level.

Harry looks really settled and happy in his life. He has really matured into his role.

I agree. Harry always looks great in uniform and the addition of the gold braid adds a special touch.
This year is so very special as it's the 100 year anniversary of WW1, and I'm sure Harry feels very honoured to take his part in the ceremonial again.

Happy the poor guys who gave their life are still remembered and celebrated !

Its been 100 years since "the war to end all wars" and we need to remember that as we've still not learned the lesson yet. 100 years on we still need events like the Invictus Games and the Warrior Games and programs like Walking With The Wounded and The Wounded Warrior Project.

We still remember because we cannot forget.

Back
Top Bottom