The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- BBC One 10:25 am UK Time:
"David Dimbleby presents live coverage from the Cenotaph in Whitehall, where Her Majesty the Queen will lead the nation's Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The prime minister, leading politicians, representatives of many of the world's religions, dignitaries from around the Commonwealth and military leaders join thousands of veterans from countless conflicts for the Two Minute Silence at 11.00, the service and march past. All gather to remember those men and women who have died serving their country. Sophie Raworth will meet veterans and those taking part in the march past to hear their remarkable stories-"
BBC News - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph, 2015

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
"David Dimbleby presents live coverage from the Cenotaph in Whitehall, where Her Majesty the Queen will lead the nation's Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The prime minister, leading politicians, representatives of many of the world's religions, dignitaries from around the Commonwealth and military leaders join thousands of veterans from countless conflicts for the Two Minute Silence at 11.00, the service and march past. All gather to remember those men and women who have died serving their country. Sophie Raworth will meet veterans and those taking part in the march past to hear their remarkable stories-"
Any confirmation yet if Queen Maxima will be able to attend with King Willem-Alexander ?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is interesting that the Queen never shows that kind of warmth to the Prince of Wales (and vice-versa).
She has done it several times. I've seen a whole bunch of images / clips of The Queen and Charles, where they speak and smile at each other.

Here are some few pictures, but I couldn't find the best ones.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...and%20-%201985

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/ima...-july-1985.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/521...p5%2bhkw%3d%3d

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_2796643b.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_1406103i.jpg

http://i1.wp.com/royal-fans.com/wp-c...size=588%2C330

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/...duties-ftr.jpg

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/...k-race-ftr.jpg

http://cdn.assets.cougar.bauer-media...en-charles.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...21_964x707.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...59_964x605.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...15_964x629.jpg

This picture was taken a few days ago.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Q...2nemWMznUl.jpg
Old 11-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Any confirmation yet if Queen Maxima will be able to attend with King Willem-Alexander ?
I guess she will be there. I haven't seen anything stating she won't attend.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
She has done it several times. I've seen a whole bunch of images / clips of The Queen and Charles, where they speak and smile at each other.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_2796643b.jpg
Look at that suit! So dapper! Thankfully I have a husband who knows how to dress well, too. That was part of the attraction. A man well groomed is seriously hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
This picture just brims with loving goodwill. A very special snapshot.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Majesty

The Royal family at the Albert Hall |kapenot88 | ru_royalty

It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael making an appearance alongside the royal family.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been gone all day w/The Parents & Family Friends of ours for a day out in Sudbury & just got back an hour ago, so have been playing catch up. The pictures of The Queen and William are just lovely. You can really see that close bond they share just radiating from them. Really liked what Kate wore, but would have loved it for anything else, just because her Poppy looked rather lost in the pattern of the lace. If she wore more than just the one, such as The Queen, then it would have been better IMO. Minor quibble, but...

Speaking of wearing Poppies...Did I see Princess Michael wearing hers on the wrong side or was that a trick of the material/lighting? In the picture of her arriving & reaching out to shake hands? It seems Getty has now joined the DM as sites I see for split seconds and then a blank page. Beyond frustrating!!!

I'll have to check YouTube to see if The Festival has been put up over there yet. It has been the last couple of years & really is a great show every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Channel Islands was occupied by the Germans while most of the children and many adults fled to UK, concentration camps were built, Jews deported to Auschwitz etc... While not officially part of the United Kingdom as Crown dependencies they could still arguably be considered British.

Speaking of YouTube....The British series Time Team did a Special Episode exploring the Occupation of The Channel Islands and seeing if there was anything to find Archeology wise. I was floored, as I never knew the Nazis had managed to get that close to the UK. If anyone's interested in learning more about this, then at least there's a start. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-08-2015, 03:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Written by Canadian Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae in 1915 during Second Battle of Ypres

First World War Poems - In Flanders Fields by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The dignified Duchess: Kate is elegant in demure black lace dress as she joins Wills and the Queen for Festival of Remembrance* | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It is interesting that the Queen never shows that kind of warmth to the Prince of Wales (and vice-versa).
They regularly do but the relationship between a mother and her eldest son is often different from that between a grandmother and her eldest grandson. Take also in account that both mother and son are beyond retirement age and have developed a different relationship in different eras.

Prince William was never the Heir and so has escaped the scrutiny of being the "King-in-Waiting" which has always been on Charles. That makes that little tokens of understanding, a wink, a raised eyebrow between the Queen and the Prince of Wales are so priceless. They tell a whole story. In that documentary with old family movies with comments from the Prince of Wales, he spoke with audible affection and love about his mother, the Diamond Queen. It was moving.

I saw the Festival of Remembrance on BBC. Very well-organized as always and the Queen looked absolutely fabulous with her black outfit, white hair and eyepopping jewels. Marie-Christine of Kent, Princess Michael, never fails to look über-glamorous, even setting the much younger Duchess of Cambridge in the shadow.

Good heavens, what a vitriol, what a poison, what a hate is distorted on Catherine.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The nation is to pay its silent respects to the country's war dead today at Remembrance Sunday service led by the Queen.

The monarch will be joined by the Duke of Edinburgh and members of the leading political parties at the Cenotaph in central London.
Read more: Queen to lead Remembrance Sunday tribute as Britain commemorates war dead - ITV News
Old 11-08-2015, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's keep it on topic, this thread is not about the relationship between the Queen and Prince Charles.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph Live Coverage- BBC One for Outside of UK Viewers-Starts at 10:25am
tvpc.com - #BBC1

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

The BBC link doesn't work outside the UK.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I guess she will be there. I haven't seen anything stating she won't attend.
TM The King and Queen of The Netherlands are to be the first to arrive at the Sovereigns Entrance of the FO this morning.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The BBC link doesn't work outside the UK.
This does!

Quote:
Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph Live Coverage- BBC One for Outside of UK Viewers-Starts at 10:25am
tvpc.com - #BBC1
Old 11-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

The King isn't wearing his uniform

Quote:
The Queen is to lead Britain in a silent mark of respect to honour the nation's war dead as a Remembrance Sunday service gets underway at the Cenotaph in central London this morning.

The monarch will be joined by the Duke of Edinburgh, members of the leading political parties and Prince Harry, whose involvement marks his official transition into a full-time royal. This year marks the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

A two-minute silence will take place at 11am and wreaths will be laid at the foot of the Whitehall memorial, followed by a veterans' march.
Read more: Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph to mark Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

The King isn't wearing his uniform
I suppose he only wears it in the Netherlands when attending a Dutch military ceremony. Duc et Pair or Marengo should be able to explain to us.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I suppose he only wears it in the Netherlands when attending a Dutch military ceremony. Duc et Pair or Marengo should be able to explain to us.
My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Serene Highness

I thought it was very neatly done with the inclusion of the Dutch King.
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.
Then came William, Harry and Prince Andrew laying their wreaths together.
Then the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne and the Duke of Kent laid their wreaths.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day