Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^ Its where Catherine and Camilla will be standing

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Which is the Foreign Office balcony? I mean... will she end up standing there alone?
It should be the same balcony as the British royals stand on - i.e. with Camilla, Catherine and Tim Lawrence. Although there are two or three other balconies on the FO building, where other dignitaries stand (such as the prime minister's wife etc) it would make no sense to have Queen Maxima standing with them.

I am really pleased that the Dutch King will lay the wreath - it makes sense somehow for him to do so on this anniversary.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It should be the same balcony as the British royals stand on - i.e. with Camilla, Catherine and Tim Lawrence. Although there are two or three other balconies on the FO building, where other dignitaries stand (such as the prime minister's wife etc) it would make no sense to have Queen Maxima standing with them.

I am really pleased that the Dutch King will lay the wreath - it makes sense somehow for him to do so on this anniversary.
Oh, I hope it's the one the others are standing :) I never knew the name of it!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

From the Dutch Royal website:

Koning en Koningin bij Remembrance Sunday | Nieuwsbericht | Het Koninklijk Huis

Rough translation of part of the bulletin:

Quote:
In 2014 and 2015 Netherlands celebrates 70 years of liberation . Attending Remembrance Sunday provides the opportunity to thank the United Kingdom for the contribution of seventy years of peace and freedom in the Netherlands and Europe . Earlier, the King laid wreaths at war memorials in Normandy , Poland, Canada and the United States.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Communiqué of the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (State Information Service)
Nr. 342

On Sunday 8 November 2015 His Majesty King Willem-Alexander and Her Majesty Queen Máxima will be present at Remembrance Sunday in London, the United Kingdom.

On this day the United Kingdom and the other countries of the Commonwealth commemorate the Fallen of the First and Second World War, and all other wars and armed conflicts since. The King will lay a wreath at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

In 2014 and 2015 the Netherlands celebrate 70 years since the Liberation. The attendance at Remembrance Sunday gives an opportunity to show gratitude to the United Kingdom for its lasting contribution to 70 years of peace and freedom in the Netherlands and in Europe.

Earlier The King has laid wreaths at War Memorials in Normandy, Poland, Canada and the United States of America.

RVD / Nr 342
Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we can expect Queen Máxima standing between the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

^ It will be good to see the Netherlands King and Queen present at this solemn occasion on the anniversary year. I hope Queen Maxima will be fully recovered by then.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Great news I was wondering if this the 1st time that other royals have attended the ceremony?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I was wondering the same too. I think that's good news too as I'm very curious to see Maxima and WA dealing with the british royalty...
Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Great news I was wondering if this the 1st time that other royals have attended the ceremony?
I seem to remember The King of Norway being there in a picture. BUt I might be mistaken.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
King Olav used to attend and watch from the balcony, but I don't know that he ever laid a wreath.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Royal Highness

Will King Willem-Alexander wear military uniform ?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Will King Willem-Alexander wear military uniform ?
My guess is he will wear uniform.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

KB Zazzle 6 | Getty Images

This photo shows King Olav attending, as he is standing on the balcony I assume he didn't place a wreath. He seemed to attend on more than one occasion on the 1980s as there are lots of pictures in google.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
KB Zazzle 6 | Getty Images

This photo shows King Olav attending, as he is standing on the balcony I assume he didn't place a wreath. He seemed to attend on more than one occasion on the 1980s as there are lots of pictures in google.

But the 80's were when the first of the big commemoration Anniversaries started happening IIRC. Considering Norway's Occupation in WWII and being a First Cousin to the Queen as well, I can understand why he'd attend. It would be a way to show Norway's gratitude to the UK and a Family Visit too.

BTW...For my fellow Canadians, this year's Poppy Campaign starts on Friday. Please go and buy a Poppy and support The Royal Canadian Legion. Our Veterans need all the help they can get.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
The Duke of Cambridge will take the salute on Horse Guards after the Queen and Royal Family lay wreaths at the Cenotaph on November 8.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Reminder-
The Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance- 9pm UK Time on BBC One:
"In the presence of HM the Queen and members of the royal family, Huw Edwards presents the Royal British Legion's annual Festival of Remembrance, which pays tribute to all victims of war and conflict.

Andrea Bocelli, Rod Stewart, Gregory Porter and Pixie Lott perform alongside the Central Band of the Royal Air Force, the Queen's Colour Squadron, the Band of HM Royal Marines, and the Band and Pipes of the Brigade of Gurkhas. From World War One to the present day, as the poppy petals fall from the roof of the Royal Albert Hall, the Festival will remember the many who make the ultimate sacrifice."
BBC One - Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance, 2015

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Royal Highness

Remembrance events: Queen to lead tributes to war dead - BBC News
Quote:
The Queen will lead the tributes as the UK pays its respects to the country's war dead this weekend.

The monarch will attend the annual Royal Festival of Remembrance at London's Royal Albert Hall later.

She and the Duke of Edinburgh will also lay a wreath at the Cenotaph on Sunday, during the traditional Remembrance Sunday service in Westminster.

A display of thousands of ceramic poppies from the 2014 Tower of London exhibit has opened in Liverpool.

Sunday's service at the Cenotaph, which honours those killed in World Wars One and Two, as well as later conflicts, is going to be shorter than in previous years, in an effort to reduce the amount of time war veterans are made to stand.

However, plans to make political leaders lay wreaths together in order to save time were dropped after some political leaders argued they were being overlooked.

Meanwhile, the UK Independence Party (UKIP) has written to the Queen to complain about not being represented during the Remembrance Sunday events.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Kate Middleton looked elegant in a demure black lace dress as she joined Prince William, the Queen and a host of other senior royals at the Festival of Remembrance.

The Duchess of Cambridge arrived at the Royal Albert Hall in London for the ceremony tonight with her husband and was greeted by the venue's president Anthony Travis and the president of the Royal British Legion Vice-Admiral Peter Wilkinson.

The Queen, whose entrance was signalled by a fanfare from the State Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry Band, is the patron of the Royal British Legion.

Her Majesty was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The Duke of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra were also in attendance, as was Prime Minister David Cameron.
Read more: Kate Middleton joins Wills and the Queen for remembrance festival | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is the reason for the indoor ceremony because of the rainy weather? I can understand not wanting the Queen and Prince Philip standing out in the rain at their age. (I suspect they had some health scares in the recent past from just that, being exposed in inclement weather).

I like the feel of the indoor ceremony, though I suppose far fewer of the public (or none really) can see such. Catherine and William look at ease with each other and their roles. Good to see.

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day