Heir Apparent

group photo of Harry in Afghanistan
http://38.media.tumblr.com/fc87e6612...ziqo1_1280.png

Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Any lip readers?
Sophie to Camilla: That coat is way too tight on Catherine.

Camilla: And I think she ought to quit wearing that ugly-a.. hat- like yesterday.

Catherine to Camilla: What are you two short stuffs gabbing about? Bragging about who the Queen likes better?

Camilla to Catherine: No, dear, we were just exchanging recipes for spotted dick.

Sophie and Camilla: (Snort, giggle, tee-hee, giggle)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-12-2014, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Sophie to Camilla: That coat is way too tight on Catherine.

Camilla: And I think she ought to quit wearing that ugly-a.. hat- like yesterday.

Catherine to Camilla: What are you two short stuffs gabbing about? Bragging about who the Queen likes better?

Camilla to Catherine: No, dear, we were just exchanging recipes for spotted dick.

Sophie and Camilla: (Snort, giggle, tee-hee, giggle)

I'll buy it all except the snort. Not for Sophie, anyway,
Old 11-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Administrator

The Earl of Wessex attended the Armistice Day Service at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas on November 11, 2014:

** gettyimages gallery **

** pm mixed gallery: Harry, Anne, Edward, tous mobilisés **

** expressandstar.com: The nation falls silent for Armistice Day **
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
.The Earl of Wessex attended the Armistice Day Service at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas on November 11, 2014:

** gettyimages gallery **

** pm mixed gallery: Harry, Anne, Edward, tous mobilisés **

** expressandstar.com: The nation falls silent for Armistice Day **
Prince Edward remains remarkably striking in certain poses. He isn't showing his age.

He seems to have found the youngest born's eternal youth, though it is only so when he wears one of his military caps. The hair loss is unforgiving for a man but still he can cause a second look, at least in pictures. JMO.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Prince Edward remains remarkably striking in certain poses. He isn't showing his age.

He seems to have found the youngest born's eternal youth, though it is only so when he wears one of his military caps. The hair loss is unforgiving for a man but still he can cause a second look, at least in pictures. JMO.
He does look better with a hat on, I agree. It hides his baldness and miss him look younger. I always think the same when he goes to Ascot and wears a top hat.

He has also managed to stay trim (thanks to his glamorous, trim wife) which I think helps him look a bit younger.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

This year's Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph will be shorter "out of respect for the ageing veterans who take part in the parade and to limit the amount of standing time for the Queen, who is approaching her 90th birthday" according to the following article:

Cenotaph Remembrance service to be made shorter - BBC News
Old 10-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
This year's Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph will be shorter "out of respect for the ageing veterans who take part in the parade and to limit the amount of standing time for the Queen, who is approaching her 90th birthday" according to the following article:

Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP - Telegraph
Quote:
Plans to cut short the remembrance day ceremony to prevent the Queen and elderly veterans from spending too long outside have been scrapped following opposition from the Scottish National Party.

An SNP source in Westminster confirmed the party was "not overly happy" about plans to force opposition leaders to lay wreaths at the same time while the Prime Minister retained the right to do so alone.
Remembrance Day Cenotaph service shortened to aid the Queen and ageing veterans - Telegraph
Quote:
The remembrance service at the Cenotaph will be shortened to limit standing time for the Queen and ageing veterans.

The changes will see the leaders of the opposition parties and some members of the Royal Family lay their wreaths together rather than individually.

The shortened format follows discussions with the Royal Household but raised eyebrows at Westminster as Prime Minister David Cameron will continue to lay his wreath on his own.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "The format for this year's Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph on November 8 has been reviewed.
Remembrance Sunday service set to be shortened so people spend less time in cold | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The annual Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph will be shortened to cut down on the amount of time the Queen and ageing veterans have to stand in the November cold.

The shortened format was agreed after discussions between ministers and Buckingham Palace but raised eyebrows at Westminster over concerns it would give the Prime Minister a starring role.

However, a government spokesman tonight revealed proposals to force all opposition party leaders to lay their wreaths at the same time had been abandoned amid fears it gave David Cameron too much of the limelight
Old 10-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for these links, Royal Norway - but oh dear, I think this will be one of those situations where we will not know for sure if there will be changes or not!

TBH, I can't see how it would make much different to the length of the service with just a handful of people having to lay their wreaths together instead of individually.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I read some of the articles and I haven't figured out how it is going to be shorter. I understood about the opposition laying their wreathes at the same time and then they complained about the PM doing his alone. They can probably speed of the royal family wreath laying- do the Queen and Philip separately and then the rest in pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Majesty

The arrogance and ignorance of some politicians beggars belief. The PM needs to get over himself and remember that he is there to lay a commemorative wreath marking the ultimate sacrifice of members of the UK. Contrary to his personal belief, the Remembrance Day Service is not "all about him"!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
They can probably speed of the royal family wreath laying- do the Queen and Philip separately and then the rest in pairs.
this is their plan:
"This year, in order to allow the parade to get under way earlier, some members of the Royal Family and political figures will lay their wreaths simultaneously."
Old 10-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The arrogance and ignorance of some politicians beggars belief. The PM needs to get over himself and remember that he is there to lay a commemorative wreath marking the ultimate sacrifice of members of the UK. Contrary to his personal belief, the Remembrance Day Service is not "all about him"!
Well at the end of the day he is the PM and Head of HM's government so perhaps, as the person responsible for the country's policy and governance, he should rank slightly higher than leaders of parties such as the SNP and DUP. And when the current PM Cameron is voted out of office someone else will take his place, would the other parties be so concerned when its their leader?

Anyway it now seems the plan has been scrapped and the leaders of political parties will lay their wreaths is turn whilst the Royal party will lay theirs together. (Making it look IMO that the party leaders have bigger egos than the RF and as if they care more about how they look on TV and in the papers rather than the old veterans sitting longer in the cold).

Anyway more interestingly IMO it seems there is a possibility that other European royals may be in attendance (though to be honest I'm not sure why as no fighting took place in the UK itself)

Buckingham Palace said the change, which was reported in the Times, was to shorten the length of time veterans wait before joining the march-past. Whitehall sources also suggested that members of European royal families, who would not normally attend the Cenotaph ceremony, would be attending this year to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the second world war. Their presence could cause a delay in the march-past.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...emembrance-day
Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Of course the PM should have seniority over other party leaders.. they merely represent a faction, he represents HM Government !
Old 10-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Of course the PM should have seniority over other party leaders.. they merely represent a faction, he represents HM Government !
I agree. The "whining" of the other politicians seem REALLY wierd to me. I have no knowledge or preference between the politicians since I'm not brittish. But it just makes sense that the PM lays first and then the rest of them to shorten time for elderly veterans! That is not a time to show ego!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

No fighting took place in the UK itself? What about the whole Battle of Britain in the skies above, the cities of the U.K. destroyed by the Blitz? Maybe the European royals whose own countries were occupied by the Nazis want to thank the efforts of the British forces for holding on. The WWII vets are dying off and there aren't many Remberance Days left for them.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Courtier

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2015

The Channel Islands was occupied by the Germans while most of the children and many adults fled to UK, concentration camps were built, Jews deported to Auschwitz etc... While not officially part of the United Kingdom as Crown dependencies they could still arguably be considered British.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
No fighting took place in the UK itself? What about the whole Battle of Britain in the skies above, the cities of the U.K. destroyed by the Blitz? Maybe the European royals whose own countries were occupied by the Nazis want to thank the efforts of the British forces for holding on. The WWII vets are dying off and there aren't many Remberance Days left for them.

Thanks for the history lesson, whilst clearly the UK saw it fair share of horror in both World Wars it does not seem a reason for foreign royals to be in attendance at the UK Cenotaph for what is a remembrance of all wars and conflicts with, in fact, the November date actually being in reference to the first world war. Obviously I would be delighted if foreign royals do attended, and possibly it will be those who have links to UK regiments such as Queen Margrethe of Denmark. Living in the UK I can safely say there's been no mention here of this particular Remembrance Sunday being any more special than others (though everyone is special as a way to remember those who lost their lives for their country).
Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
At the invitation of the Queen, HM King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will lay a wreath at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, 8 Nov.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Queen Maxima will accompany her husband to the Cenotaph in London on November 8 and watch the service from the Foreign Office balcony.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
At the invitation of the Queen, HM King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will lay a wreath at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, 8 Nov.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Queen Maxima will accompany her husband to the Cenotaph in London on November 8 and watch the service from the Foreign Office balcony.
Which is the Foreign Office balcony? I mean... will she end up standing there alone?

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day