The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I have tried to avoid this but I can 't hold back any longer.

this is a thread about the Remembrance Service held to remember those who sacrificied their lives in conflicts since 1914, be they military, allied services and civilians.

the BRf attend relevant services where they represent the nation and gives thanks for the sacrifices made.

Today it has turned into a terrible debate a out the individual contribution to ONE service in London on the 2nd Sunday in November.

I am embarassed that I may have contributed to this "debate"

Just stop- enough is enough. If you want to argue the contribution of individual members to this remembrance service, then do it elsewhere.

This is about the service to remember those who have served the nation.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Enough with the personal attacks and snide comments. I have deleted a couple of posts that add nothing to the discussion.

Let's get back on topic.

Any and all off topic comments and digs will be delete without notice.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2014

I'm amazed, impressed and a bit jealous of how the British people turn out in great numbers all over the nation to remember those who serve, have served and who have fallen fighting for their country. It makes me sad and a bit upset about how here in Sweden the "Veterans Day" (not the same thing I know but the closest thing we have) rarely even gets a mention in national media and is virtually unknown to the man on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
At least we didn't the OMG Kate smiled during the Cenotaph service debate that we normally get each year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
You forgot playing w/her hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
With regard to Prince Harry, I always find that when one is ignorant of facts, information or details, one can easily jump to any conclusion or thought one likes. I say this advisedly on account of always doing it myself (a recent post of mine on the Japanese family current events proves the point).
Exactly!! When I didn't see Harry anywhere, the wheels got turning and I right away wondered if he was in Afghanistan for the final Remembrance Sunday w/British Troops in Theatre/on the Ground there. When the footage was shown on the Supper Hour News, I said I had a feeling that's where he was. Watching him today w/his fellow Servicemen and woman in Afghanistan and w/the Vets on the Opening of the Field of Remembrance Thursday is very special.

It reminds me a bit of watching the Queen Mum w/the Vets back in the day the feeling I get when I see Harry interacting w/the Vets today. It's something very, very special and watching him joke w/the WWII Vets on Thursday was a hoot and a half. Especially w/the one older lad telling how he wished Harry wasn't so tall because it was such a long way for him to look up at...LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I really don't get the problem with Harry (or any other member of the BRF) not being at the main festivities...its not like he is chilling on the beach. From all reports, any time a BRF member has not been at Cenotaph, they have been at another remembrance celebration.

IMO it appears that some are trying to find fault when there is none, or have no knowledge of other activities outside Cenotaph.
Perfectly said Zonk and Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
It really was a spectacular day with the bravery of the Queen, the dedication of those who protect her, the obvious appreciation of the entire family for the ultimate price paid. A sense of duty in this family is ever present in some form. They may disappoint with some behavior, but on the really big issues, they get it.

I think about Lady Louise or James seeing news about the arrest of the plotters and wondering if their Granny or Daddy might be harmed. That's the reality for the BRF and for members of the services. Risk shared. Duty shared.
It's just far more impressive than anything any of us do here on the forums. That helps me keep all this in context.
All too true and you also mention something TRH's have to deal w/as Parents the rest of us wouldn't even think twice about. Another part of the price they pay for being Royal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I'm not sure whether this has been referred to yet and I have no wish to go back through the previous pages but I thought the participation of the Irish Ambassador was a lovely touch.
As did I. Another step in the path of healing when it comes to British/Irish Relations. I can't even imagine how an Irish WWI Vet, who went through that Hell on Earth the Western Front was, felt knowing if he said he was a Vet of WWI at home in Ireland, he'd be shunned because he fought for Britain. Just so sad in so many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

this is a thread about the Remembrance Service held to remember those who sacrificied their lives in conflicts since 1914, be they military, allied services and civilians.

the BRf attend relevant services where they represent the nation and gives thanks for the sacrifices made.

Today it has turned into a terrible debate a out the individual contribution to ONE service in London on the 2nd Sunday in November.

Just stop- enough is enough. If you want to argue the contribution of individual members to this remembrance service, then do it elsewhere.

Not just the Nation, but the Commonwealth as well, as wreaths are laid by the Commonwealth High Commissioners too. That wreath laid that was made up of the various Commonwealth floral emblems was so beautiful and so fitting as well.

I really hope the increased security that will be in place in Ottawa on Tuesday due to The Princess Royal attending and the sad events of only a few weeks ago, won't keep the Tradition of the Public going up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and leaving their Poppies behind after the Service takes place from going ahead. Seeing the Tomb covered in red Poppies only moments after the National Service of Remembrance is one of those sights that never fails to choke me up during the Broadcast.

As many of you know, my Family History and Heritage of serving in the Canadian Armed Forces is very important to me and ongoing today w/my Cousin Morag being a Captain in the RCAF. November 11th in my Family is a very sacred day and emotional as well. It's going to be even more so this year.

BTW, the Royal Canadian Legion is saying this is the best year for the Poppy Campaign in a very long time. While it's great for the Poppy Fund and those who need those funds, at the same time the reason for it is...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Well summed up.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Royal Highness

Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the video. Moving service -especially when the poppies started coming down
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm amazed, impressed and a bit jealous of how the British people turn out in great numbers all over the nation to remember those who serve, have served and who have fallen fighting for their country. It makes me sad and a bit upset about how here in Sweden the "Veterans Day" (not the same thing I know but the closest thing we have) rarely even gets a mention in national media and is virtually unknown to the man on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The same for Germany - this has of course something to do with Germany´s unglorious role during 2 WWs... Grandfathers or Great-Grandfathers who fought at the war are often seen as culprits, not heroes and there´s no feeling of being thankful (which is, imo, perfectly right because nazi-germany has committed terrible crimes as we know).
Sweden is lucky enough not to have been mingled in military conflict for a long, long time, so there´s also not this kind of feeling of relief (not to be invaded) and gratefulness towards the older generations.
But there´s virtually no culture in this country to deal with everything military, almost a non-issue and pretty unpopular. Ceremonies like Remembr. Sunday would be totally unthinkable in Germany (too much pathos for the average german... this is a very austere, unceremonial country) and would be met with heavy head-shaking, even some amusement, by many people. What I´m most jealous about is that Britain seems to come virtually together and many people standing united in gratefulness!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Really?

I'm of the opinion that when royals behave inappropriately they should be called on it. I think if Kate behaves inappropriately at a Remembrance Day service she should be criticized for it. Or if Harry isn't attending any Remembrance Day services at all, he should be criticized for it. Or whatever.

Yes, really?!
A young woman smiling at this ceremony while talking to family members is a reason to criticize her? I think it´s pretty arrogant to decide what behaviour would be "inappropriate"! This is not a funeral! At the coverage of this event I even saw old veterans smiling and chatting cheerful to each other! Reason to criticize them?
I´ve watched many royal (state) funerals where many Royals of all ages smiled or even, modestly, laughed when somebody said something (funny?). The Royals seem to be much more relaxed about issues than some of us are...
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

[QUOTE=wartenberg7;1718840]
Quote:
Really?

I'm of the opinion that when royals behave inappropriately they should be called on it. I think if Kate behaves inappropriately at a Remembrance Day service she should be criticized for it. Or if Harry isn't attending any Remembrance Day services at all, he should be criticized for it. Or whatever.

Yes, really?!
A young woman smiling at this ceremony while talking to family members is a reason to criticize her? I think it´s pretty arrogant to decide what behaviour would be "inappropriate"! This is not a funeral! At the coverage of this event I even saw old veterans smiling and chatting cheerful to each other! Reason to criticize them?
I´ve watched many royal (state) funerals where many Royals of all ages smiled or even, modestly, laughed when somebody said something (funny?). The Royals seem to be much more relaxed about issues than some of us are...
The royals are very relaxed than many others are. The royals have no problem sharing a warm smile or chuckle at events like this.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Quote:
Really?

Yes, really?!
Before you attack me, perhaps you should actually read what I said.

I said that if her actions, or Harry's actions, or anyone else's actions are inappropriate, they should be criticized. I did not at any point say that any of their actions were inappropriate or in need of criticism, and then went on to say that a lot of the criticism of the Cambridges - such as the criticism of Kate for smiling during the service last year when others were as well - was clearly trolls determined to attack her.

Before you go off attacking people for their comments maybe you should read said comments.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

The girls having a chat on the balcony :

Duchess of Cambridge cuts a sombre figure at cenotaph | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

There is nothing wrong with them chatting before the service starts. They are probably out there before the royal party moves to the Cenotaph. They are not talking during the two minutes of silence.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with them chatting before the service starts. They are probably out there before the royal party moves to the Cenotaph. They are not talking during the two minutes of silence.
Don't get me wrong ! I posted this to underline the good spirit and the nice relationship btw the leading ladies of the BRF !
Of course they were dignified, and silent, during the crucial moments of the ceremony.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

The royal ladies were chatting as other officials were laying their wreaths. There was nothing wrong with that. No, they weren't talking during the two minute silence.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

It always surprises me that the part of the march past where a member of the Royal Family takes the salute from the members and former members of the armed forces doesn't get written/talked about much. Does anyone know who took the salute on Horseguards this year?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Andrew did. It was on the royal website.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

Many times it is an occasion such as a funeral or a memorial service when a family comes together all in one place. Although a somber occasion or a reflection on those lives that were given in service to their country as in the case of Remembrance Day, there is a certain joy of coming together and seeing each other. I would have been more surprised if they weren't chatting to each other.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Any lip readers?

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day