Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the reason for the indoor ceremony because of the rainy weather? I can understand not wanting the Queen and Prince Philip standing out in the rain at their age. (I suspect they had some health scares in the recent past from just that, being exposed in inclement weather).

I like the feel of the indoor ceremony, though I suppose far fewer of the public (or none really) can see such. Catherine and William look at ease with each other and their roles. Good to see. :flowers:

The Festival of Remembrance has always been an indoor event at The Royal Albert Hall as opposed to the Remembrance Service at the Cenotaph ( outdoors) which is where the wreaths are laid. The two are very different events.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I hoped to see King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima in the Royal Albert Hall as well. Most likely they are in London now for tomorrow's Remembrance Service. I would have loved it to see them in the royal loge, interacting with their British cousins.

I think the Dutch guests are already in London, maybe staying in the Royal Netherlands Embassy (at Hyde Park) or with their sister-in-law Princess Mabel (in Kensington).

I hoped to see King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima in the Royal Albert Hall as well. Most likely they are in London now for tomorrow's Remembrance Service. I would have loved it to see them in the royal loge, interacting with their British cousins.

I think the Dutch guests are already in London, maybe staying in the Royal Netherlands Embassy (at Hyde Park) or with their sister-in-law Princess Mabel (in Kensington).
I have no clue. They might be. But a flight to London from Netherlands is a really short pop-over so they might just take the flight in the morning.

In lokoing at the Getty images, I really like how well the Queen and Prince William seem to get along. It's a thing of beauty.

The Festival of Remembrance has always been an indoor event at The Royal Albert Hall as opposed to the Remembrance Service at the Cenotaph ( outdoors) which is where the wreaths are laid. The two are very different events.

Thank you, Elly C. :flowers: I'm feeling very uninformed these days. Not one to follow these things closely.

Just want to say, I think Catherine is looking particularly radiant these days. :flowers: Motherhood is definitely agreeing with her. Love her outfit, her heft of hair and polished make-up. Very nice all round.

Interesting that William wears specs. Follows the Queen in that way.

Last edited:
Thank you, Elly C. :flowers: I'm feeling very uninformed these days. Not one to follow these things closely.

Just want to say, I think Catherine is looking particularly radiant these days. :flowers: Motherhood is definitely agreeing with her. Love her outfit, her heft of hair and polished make-up. Very nice all round.

William has been wearing glasses for a while. When driving, flying, watching sports etc.

So did Andrew and the Duchess of Gloucester.

For a brief second, when I had only seen the group shot at a distance, I thought the person next to Andrew was Eugenie.:lol::lol::lol:,

Understandable as I has started on page 1 with the pictures of a very young Princess Beatrice attending.

So did Andrew and the Duchess of Gloucester.

For a brief second, when I had only seen the group shot at a distance, I thought the person next to Andrew was Eugenie.:lol::lol::lol:,

Understandable as I has started on page 1 with the pictures of a very young Princess Beatrice attending.

Sophie also wears glasses.

^Since when?

She has always worn them for driving as she has been seen in photos with them. She is seen at Wimbledon wearing them and she was wearing them this evening at the Festival. She may only need them for long distance.

Joe Little/Majesty ‏@MajestyMagazine 1h1 hour ago
A squeeze of the hand for Sophie from Edward when she retuned to the #royal box after her #FestivalofRemembrance lesson reading.

How sweet.

A squeeze of the hand for Sophie from Edward when she retuned to the #royal box after her #FestivalofRemembrance lesson reading.

How sweet.

That's very sweet. He seems to be more affectionate lately.

How sweet.

It is. :flowers: Love that couple. So solid. They both are lucky.

In lokoing at the Getty images, I really like how well the Queen and Prince William seem to get along. It's a thing of beauty.

It is interesting that the Queen never shows that kind of warmth to the Prince of Wales (and vice-versa).

It is interesting that the Queen never shows that kind of warmth to the Prince of Wales (and vice-versa).

Actually there are lots of instances between the Queen and Charles. I especially love instances such as the Jubilee celebrations and Braemar.

This is rare - pictures with the Queen and William.

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- BBC One 10:25 am UK Time:
"David Dimbleby presents live coverage from the Cenotaph in Whitehall, where Her Majesty the Queen will lead the nation's Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The prime minister, leading politicians, representatives of many of the world's religions, dignitaries from around the Commonwealth and military leaders join thousands of veterans from countless conflicts for the Two Minute Silence at 11.00, the service and march past. All gather to remember those men and women who have died serving their country. Sophie Raworth will meet veterans and those taking part in the march past to hear their remarkable stories-"
BBC News - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph, 2015

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- BBC One 10:25 am UK Time:
"David Dimbleby presents live coverage from the Cenotaph in Whitehall, where Her Majesty the Queen will lead the nation's Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The prime minister, leading politicians, representatives of many of the world's religions, dignitaries from around the Commonwealth and military leaders join thousands of veterans from countless conflicts for the Two Minute Silence at 11.00, the service and march past. All gather to remember those men and women who have died serving their country. Sophie Raworth will meet veterans and those taking part in the march past to hear their remarkable stories-"
BBC News - Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph, 2015

Any confirmation yet if Queen Maxima will be able to attend with King Willem-Alexander ?

Last edited:
Any confirmation yet if Queen Maxima will be able to attend with King Willem-Alexander ?

I guess she will be there. I haven't seen anything stating she won't attend.

She has done it several times. I've seen a whole bunch of images / clips of The Queen and Charles, where they speak and smile at each other.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02796/charles_2796643b.jpg

Look at that suit! So dapper! :flowers: Thankfully I have a husband who knows how to dress well, too. That was part of the attraction. A man well groomed is seriously hard to find.

This picture just brims with loving goodwill. :flowers: A very special snapshot.

I've been gone all day w/The Parents & Family Friends of ours for a day out in Sudbury & just got back an hour ago, so have been playing catch up. The pictures of The Queen and William are just lovely. You can really see that close bond they share just radiating from them. Really liked what Kate wore, but would have loved it for anything else, just because her Poppy looked rather lost in the pattern of the lace. If she wore more than just the one, such as The Queen, then it would have been better IMO. Minor quibble, but...

Speaking of wearing Poppies...Did I see Princess Michael wearing hers on the wrong side or was that a trick of the material/lighting? In the picture of her arriving & reaching out to shake hands? It seems Getty has now joined the DM as sites I see for split seconds and then a blank page. Beyond frustrating!!!

I'll have to check YouTube to see if The Festival has been put up over there yet. It has been the last couple of years & really is a great show every year.

The Channel Islands was occupied by the Germans while most of the children and many adults fled to UK, concentration camps were built, Jews deported to Auschwitz etc... While not officially part of the United Kingdom as Crown dependencies they could still arguably be considered British.

Speaking of YouTube....The British series Time Team did a Special Episode exploring the Occupation of The Channel Islands and seeing if there was anything to find Archeology wise. I was floored, as I never knew the Nazis had managed to get that close to the UK. If anyone's interested in learning more about this, then at least there's a start. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Written by Canadian Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae in 1915 during Second Battle of Ypres

First World War Poems - In Flanders Fields by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

They regularly do but the relationship between a mother and her eldest son is often different from that between a grandmother and her eldest grandson. Take also in account that both mother and son are beyond retirement age and have developed a different relationship in different eras.

Prince William was never the Heir and so has escaped the scrutiny of being the "King-in-Waiting" which has always been on Charles. That makes that little tokens of understanding, a wink, a raised eyebrow between the Queen and the Prince of Wales are so priceless. They tell a whole story. In that documentary with old family movies with comments from the Prince of Wales, he spoke with audible affection and love about his mother, the Diamond Queen. It was moving.

I saw the Festival of Remembrance on BBC. Very well-organized as always and the Queen looked absolutely fabulous with her black outfit, white hair and eyepopping jewels. Marie-Christine of Kent, Princess Michael, never fails to look über-glamorous, even setting the much younger Duchess of Cambridge in the shadow.

Good heavens, what a vitriol, what a poison, what a hate is distorted on Catherine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep it on topic, this thread is not about the relationship between the Queen and Prince Charles.

Back
Top Bottom