Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance: BBC One 9pm UK Time-

In the presence of Her Majesty the Queen and members of the royal family, Huw Edwards presents the Royal British Legion's annual Festival of Remembrance, which pays tribute to all victims of war and conflict.

James Blunt, Alfie Boe, Katie Melua and the specially formed Poppy Girls perform alongside the Massed Bands of the Household Division and the bands of HM Royal Marines and the Royal Air Force.
The Festival includes the traditional two-minute silence as poppy petals fall from the roof of the Royal Albert Hall, each representing a life lost in war-

BBC One - Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance, 2013

View Outside UK-
tvpc.com - BBC 1

tvpc.com - BBC 1 `

Last edited:
The Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance is now on Live-
tvpc.com - BBC 1 `

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph- 10:20am UK Time- BBC One
David Dimbleby and Sophie Raworth present as Her Majesty the Queen leads the nation's Remembrance Sunday commemorations from the Cenotaph in Whitehall. The prime minister, leading politicians, representatives of many of the world's religions, dignitaries from around the Commonwealth and military leaders join thousands of veterans from countless conflicts for the two minute silence, service and march past. All gather to remember those men and women who have died in action serving their country-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hw8n1

Last edited:
@RegalEyes: Prince Harry will lay a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of his father Prince Charles who will attend a #Remembrance Service in India.

Watched the Festival of Remembrance. It always makes me cry, esp when the families of those who have died talk of their loss. The mother of a soldier who posthumously won the Victoria Cross is herself a person of courage. when the silence falls, and poppy petals cascade down, it is truly moving. We should never forget those who die and those who are injured, including their families. It is a debt of honour.

The poppies of Remembrance Sunday were inspired by a poem written by Canadian Doctor Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae in 1915.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

I was very moved by the Festival tonight. You could see the Earl & Countess of Wessex was very moved too. Those stories and the children will move you everytime.

I'm looking forward to the service in the morning.

Video:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have attended a renaming ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall in South Kensington this evening, ahead of this year's Royal British Legion's 'Festival of Remembrance'. The ceremony marks the re-naming of the South Steps to 'The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Step'-
Home - ITNSource News

Just as a totally irrelievant side point, why don't any of the newspapers, but the DM especially, never get royal titles right. Poor Tim Laurence is never referred to as Sir Tim Laurence.

Just as a totally irrelievant side point, why don't any of the newspapers, but the DM especially, never get royal titles right. Poor Tim Laurence is never referred to as Sir Tim Laurence.

At least they got his name right, David Dimbleby called Sophie The Duchess of Gloucester. He then said the sun was in his eyes so he couldn't see her properly....

Oh, if that does not melt your heart. No wonder Sophie and the PM were in tears. I bet Her Majesty even wiped one away. Her Majesty looks stunning. And Phillip- surprised he can walk with the weight of those medals!:lol:

Yes! This version worked. Wonderful!

Watched the Festival of Remembrance. It always makes me cry, esp when the families of those who have died talk of their loss. The mother of a soldier who posthumously won the Victoria Cross is herself a person of courage. when the silence falls, and poppy petals cascade down, it is truly moving. We should never forget those who die and those who are injured, including their families. It is a debt of honour.

I agree. I'd rather focus on the meaning of the day rather than who wore what at the service today.

I agree. I'd rather focus on the meaning of the day rather than who wore what at the service today.

Normally, I'd agree w/this, but there is one Royal I do focus on when it comes to wearing something on this day and that's Sophie. Ever since it was pointed out a few years ago that she wears our/Cdn version of the Poppy on this day, i find myself checking when the first pictures I get a chance to see her in. Sure enough, she continued that personal tradition on today.

It's lovely she does and to see a Royal wearing a Cdn Poppy on this day is just very, very right. :)

^^^ I like that Sophie wears a Canadian poppy as it shows her link to her Canadian regiments, which I believe really appreciate her support.

I like her brooch she wears as well for her regiment 5th Battalion The Rifles.

Does theQueen wear a different style poppy to others? Is there a reason for this?

Remembrance Day 2013 | Spletnik.ru

The photo with Sophie, Countess of Wessx, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and Vice-Admiral Laurence, is very awkward.

Didn't realise Sophie and Catherine had got divorced from their husbands? ;) You don't get many pleasant pictures on a day like today.

Does theQueen wear a different style poppy to others? Is there a reason for this?

The Queen wear's a corsage of five poppies, each with two petals made from different fabrics. No official reason, some say it's for particular people in the war, some say it's for the members of her family she has lost since the war.

Last edited:
:previous:
Usually I do not put "The" before the titles. The photos have nothing to do with pleasantness. Catherine's, The Duchess of Cambridge, grin does appear to be inappropriate.
Princess Royal and Prince Henry looked smart in a uniform. Prince William looked bad.

Last edited:
Video:
Prince Andrew and Philip Hammond joined British troops at Camp Bastion this morning to mark remembrance day. A wreath was laid at the base service and then Prince Andrew meet some of the troops out there afterwards-
Home - ITNSource News

:previous:
Usually I do not put "The" before the titles. Catherine's, The Duchess of Cambridge, grin does appear to be inappropriate.

Oh good grief, she was more than likely laughing over something Sophie said to her as they were coming out. IIRC, didn't this happen last year too? Only that time it was Camilla and her laughing over something. However during the actual Service, both showed the proper respect, just as Kate and Sophie did this morning.

I also think it's rather nasty to say this about Kate. As I would expect the Granddaughter of a WWII Veteran to know how to behave at an event such as this.

Of all the things to pick on...Sheesh!!

many of the royals seem to wear the same style, 5 leaf poppy which is different from the usual poppy you buy on the street, didn't notice until today.

Oh good grief, she was more than likely laughing over something Sophie said to her as they were coming out. IIRC, didn't this happen last year too? Only that time it was Camilla and her laughing over something. However during the actual Service, both showed the proper respect, just as Kate and Sophie did this morning.
I also think it's rather nasty to say this about Kate. As I would expect the Granddaughter of a WWII Veteran to know how to behave at an event such as this.
Of all the things to pick on...Sheesh!!
my bolding
It has been kind of you to share your opinion. In my personal and biased opinion, the caption is awkward.
Given your words (see my bolding), The Duchess of Cambridge and her royals handlers seem to be unable to learn from the past mistakes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom