The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

Marnoe, you can watch it here:
The moment Megan's Daddy came home from the war: Festival of Remembrance joy as Poppy Girl is reunited with sailor father in front of The Queen at the Royal Albert Hall | Mail Online

Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Watched the Festival of Remembrance. It always makes me cry, esp when the families of those who have died talk of their loss. The mother of a soldier who posthumously won the Victoria Cross is herself a person of courage. when the silence falls, and poppy petals cascade down, it is truly moving. We should never forget those who die and those who are injured, including their families. It is a debt of honour.
I agree. I'd rather focus on the meaning of the day rather than who wore what at the service today.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

I agree. I'd rather focus on the meaning of the day rather than who wore what at the service today.
Normally, I'd agree w/this, but there is one Royal I do focus on when it comes to wearing something on this day and that's Sophie. Ever since it was pointed out a few years ago that she wears our/Cdn version of the Poppy on this day, i find myself checking when the first pictures I get a chance to see her in. Sure enough, she continued that personal tradition on today.

It's lovely she does and to see a Royal wearing a Cdn Poppy on this day is just very, very right. :)
Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^ I like that Sophie wears a Canadian poppy as it shows her link to her Canadian regiments, which I believe really appreciate her support.

I like her brooch she wears as well for her regiment 5th Battalion The Rifles.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Does theQueen wear a different style poppy to others? Is there a reason for this?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Remembrance Day 2013 | Spletnik.ru

The photo with Sophie, Countess of Wessx, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and Vice-Admiral Laurence, is very awkward.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Remembrance Day 2013 | Spletnik.ru

The photo with Sophie, Countess of Wessx, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and Vice-Admiral Laurence, is very awkward.

Didn't realise Sophie and Catherine had got divorced from their husbands? You don't get many pleasant pictures on a day like today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Does theQueen wear a different style poppy to others? Is there a reason for this?
The Queen wear's a corsage of five poppies, each with two petals made from different fabrics. No official reason, some say it's for particular people in the war, some say it's for the members of her family she has lost since the war.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Usually I do not put "The" before the titles. The photos have nothing to do with pleasantness. Catherine's, The Duchess of Cambridge, grin does appear to be inappropriate.
Princess Royal and Prince Henry looked smart in a uniform. Prince William looked bad.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Majesty

Video:
Prince Andrew and Philip Hammond joined British troops at Camp Bastion this morning to mark remembrance day. A wreath was laid at the base service and then Prince Andrew meet some of the troops out there afterwards-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Usually I do not put "The" before the titles. Catherine's, The Duchess of Cambridge, grin does appear to be inappropriate.
Oh good grief, she was more than likely laughing over something Sophie said to her as they were coming out. IIRC, didn't this happen last year too? Only that time it was Camilla and her laughing over something. However during the actual Service, both showed the proper respect, just as Kate and Sophie did this morning.

I also think it's rather nasty to say this about Kate. As I would expect the Granddaughter of a WWII Veteran to know how to behave at an event such as this.

Of all the things to pick on...Sheesh!!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Courtier

many of the royals seem to wear the same style, 5 leaf poppy which is different from the usual poppy you buy on the street, didn't notice until today.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Oh good grief, she was more than likely laughing over something Sophie said to her as they were coming out. IIRC, didn't this happen last year too? Only that time it was Camilla and her laughing over something. However during the actual Service, both showed the proper respect, just as Kate and Sophie did this morning.
I also think it's rather nasty to say this about Kate. As I would expect the Granddaughter of a WWII Veteran to know how to behave at an event such as this.
Of all the things to pick on...Sheesh!!
my bolding
It has been kind of you to share your opinion. In my personal and biased opinion, the caption is awkward.
Given your words (see my bolding), The Duchess of Cambridge and her royals handlers seem to be unable to learn from the past mistakes.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Courtier

I think maybe the royal ladies should just send cardboard cutouts of themselves to put on the balcony. If you watch the bbc coverage you can see that once the silence and main wreath laying is over many of those present,teh large crowds of veterans themselves are more relaxed, talking to each other and sharing good and bad times. In my opinion there is nothing wrong in how they (the royal ladies) are behaving, its not like they are sitting there feet up, in shorts and tshirts sipping cocktails is it.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Both the Duchess of Cambridge and Countess of Wessex shared smiles and conversation before the ceremony. Why Catherine is being singled out? They both behaved throughout the service.

Pictures:
TRH The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge Arriving or Departing the Remembrance Service-
http://worldofwindsor.tumblr.com/image/66577405570

Pictures:
The UK Observes Remembrance Sunday-
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/g9RUG...n+Elizabeth+II

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

It is the same thing every year. If next year, Kate was solemn and stone faced from the time she steps out on to the balcony to the end of the event. There will be some standoff Kate in a rift with the other royal women story. The people on the balconies were out there before the Queen came out to start the ceremony. They are going to have conversations and smile. The daily mail has a photo of Mrs Major and Mrs Blair smiling before the service. Kate and Sophie have probably not seen each other since Trooping. During the moment of silence and wreath laying people were solemn.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think maybe the royal ladies should just send cardboard cutouts of themselves to put on the balcony... its not like they are sitting there feet up, in shorts and tshirts sipping cocktails is it.
Maybe some are so delusional, they see exact this
But seriously, some just wait that Kate does something "scandalous".

Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Maybe some are so delusional, they see exact this
But seriously, some just wait that Kate does something "scandalous".
Oh, yes, we have some of those morons here on the Forums. But the more we praise the Royals, the more they'll get angry, and I like that.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Both the Duchess of Cambridge and Countess of Wessex shared smiles and conversation before the ceremony. Why Catherine is being singled out? They both behaved throughout the service.
I don't know why, but to try and stir the pot in this thread out of all threads and today!?! I am Proud to say I am the Niece and Cousin of WWII Veterans and the Great Niece of not just a WWI Veteran, but a Vimy Ridge Veteran as well . So for anyone to use this thread as a place to continue their agenda against the Duchess of Cambridge has me sickened, disgusted and angry.

I...just...I just do not get it. :(
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

I understand that it is disruptive. My only advice is to keep the focus on the memory of the brave veterans in your family.

I don't usually recommend the Daily Mail, but they do have excellent photographs commemorating the ceremonies in the UK and other parts of the world.

Our Veterans in the U.S. will be honored tomorrow and at Memorial Day in May we'll honor those who have fallen. Like you I'll be remembering those family members who served mostly in the US Navy and Army.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

some videos from yesterday

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day