Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: The arrogance and ignorance of some politicians beggars belief. The PM needs to get over himself and remember that he is there to lay a commemorative wreath marking the ultimate sacrifice of members of the UK. Contrary to his personal belief, the Remembrance Day Service is not "all about him"!

Well at the end of the day he is the PM and Head of HM's government so perhaps, as the person responsible for the country's policy and governance, he should rank slightly higher than leaders of parties such as the SNP and DUP. And when the current PM Cameron is voted out of office someone else will take his place, would the other parties be so concerned when its their leader?

Anyway it now seems the plan has been scrapped and the leaders of political parties will lay their wreaths is turn whilst the Royal party will lay theirs together. (Making it look IMO that the party leaders have bigger egos than the RF and as if they care more about how they look on TV and in the papers rather than the old veterans sitting longer in the cold).

Cenotaph Remembrance service to be made shorter - BBC News

Anyway more interestingly IMO it seems there is a possibility that other European royals may be in attendance (though to be honest I'm not sure why as no fighting took place in the UK itself)

Buckingham Palace said the change, which was reported in the Times, was to shorten the length of time veterans wait before joining the march-past. Whitehall sources also suggested that members of European royal families, who would not normally attend the Cenotaph ceremony, would be attending this year to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the second world war. Their presence could cause a delay in the march-past.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...on-leaders-less-time-cenotaph-remembrance-day

Last edited:
Of course the PM should have seniority over other party leaders.. they merely represent a faction, he represents HM Government !

Of course the PM should have seniority over other party leaders.. they merely represent a faction, he represents HM Government !
I agree. The "whining" of the other politicians seem REALLY wierd to me. I have no knowledge or preference between the politicians since I'm not brittish. But it just makes sense that the PM lays first and then the rest of them to shorten time for elderly veterans! That is not a time to show ego!

No fighting took place in the UK itself? What about the whole Battle of Britain in the skies above, the cities of the U.K. destroyed by the Blitz? Maybe the European royals whose own countries were occupied by the Nazis want to thank the efforts of the British forces for holding on. The WWII vets are dying off and there aren't many Remberance Days left for them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Remembrance Day Services: 2003-2015

The Channel Islands was occupied by the Germans while most of the children and many adults fled to UK, concentration camps were built, Jews deported to Auschwitz etc... While not officially part of the United Kingdom as Crown dependencies they could still arguably be considered British.

Last edited:
No fighting took place in the UK itself? What about the whole Battle of Britain in the skies above, the cities of the U.K. destroyed by the Blitz? Maybe the European royals whose own countries were occupied by the Nazis want to thank the efforts of the British forces for holding on. The WWII vets are dying off and there aren't many Remberance Days left for them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thanks for the history lesson, whilst clearly the UK saw it fair share of horror in both World Wars it does not seem a reason for foreign royals to be in attendance at the UK Cenotaph for what is a remembrance of all wars and conflicts with, in fact, the November date actually being in reference to the first world war. Obviously I would be delighted if foreign royals do attended, and possibly it will be those who have links to UK regiments such as Queen Margrethe of Denmark. Living in the UK I can safely say there's been no mention here of this particular Remembrance Sunday being any more special than others (though everyone is special as a way to remember those who lost their lives for their country).

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
At the invitation of the Queen, HM King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will lay a wreath at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, 8 Nov.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Queen Maxima will accompany her husband to the Cenotaph in London on November 8 and watch the service from the Foreign Office balcony.

Last edited:
Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
At the invitation of the Queen, HM King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will lay a wreath at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, 8 Nov.

Queen Maxima will accompany her husband to the Cenotaph in London on November 8 and watch the service from the Foreign Office balcony.
Which is the Foreign Office balcony? I mean... will she end up standing there alone?

^^^ Its where Catherine and Camilla will be standing

Which is the Foreign Office balcony? I mean... will she end up standing there alone?

It should be the same balcony as the British royals stand on - i.e. with Camilla, Catherine and Tim Lawrence. Although there are two or three other balconies on the FO building, where other dignitaries stand (such as the prime minister's wife etc) it would make no sense to have Queen Maxima standing with them.

I am really pleased that the Dutch King will lay the wreath - it makes sense somehow for him to do so on this anniversary.

It should be the same balcony as the British royals stand on - i.e. with Camilla, Catherine and Tim Lawrence. Although there are two or three other balconies on the FO building, where other dignitaries stand (such as the prime minister's wife etc) it would make no sense to have Queen Maxima standing with them.

I am really pleased that the Dutch King will lay the wreath - it makes sense somehow for him to do so on this anniversary.
Oh, I hope it's the one the others are standing :) I never knew the name of it!

From the Dutch Royal website:

Koning en Koningin bij Remembrance Sunday | Nieuwsbericht | Het Koninklijk Huis

Rough translation of part of the bulletin:

In 2014 and 2015 Netherlands celebrates 70 years of liberation . Attending Remembrance Sunday provides the opportunity to thank the United Kingdom for the contribution of seventy years of peace and freedom in the Netherlands and Europe . Earlier, the King laid wreaths at war memorials in Normandy , Poland, Canada and the United States.

Communiqué of the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (State Information Service)
Nr. 342

On Sunday 8 November 2015 His Majesty King Willem-Alexander and Her Majesty Queen Máxima will be present at Remembrance Sunday in London, the United Kingdom.

On this day the United Kingdom and the other countries of the Commonwealth commemorate the Fallen of the First and Second World War, and all other wars and armed conflicts since. The King will lay a wreath at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

In 2014 and 2015 the Netherlands celebrate 70 years since the Liberation. The attendance at Remembrance Sunday gives an opportunity to show gratitude to the United Kingdom for its lasting contribution to 70 years of peace and freedom in the Netherlands and in Europe.

Earlier The King has laid wreaths at War Memorials in Normandy, Poland, Canada and the United States of America.

RVD / Nr 342

I think we can expect Queen Máxima standing between the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge.

^ It will be good to see the Netherlands King and Queen present at this solemn occasion on the anniversary year. I hope Queen Maxima will be fully recovered by then.

Great news I was wondering if this the 1st time that other royals have attended the ceremony?

:previous: I was wondering the same too. I think that's good news too as I'm very curious to see Maxima and WA dealing with the british royalty...:p;):flowers:

Great news I was wondering if this the 1st time that other royals have attended the ceremony?

King Olav used to attend and watch from the balcony, but I don't know that he ever laid a wreath.

Last edited:
Will King Willem-Alexander wear military uniform ?

KB Zazzle 6 | Getty Images

This photo shows King Olav attending, as he is standing on the balcony I assume he didn't place a wreath. He seemed to attend on more than one occasion on the 1980s as there are lots of pictures in google.

KB Zazzle 6 | Getty Images

This photo shows King Olav attending, as he is standing on the balcony I assume he didn't place a wreath. He seemed to attend on more than one occasion on the 1980s as there are lots of pictures in google.

But the 80's were when the first of the big commemoration Anniversaries started happening IIRC. Considering Norway's Occupation in WWII and being a First Cousin to the Queen as well, I can understand why he'd attend. It would be a way to show Norway's gratitude to the UK and a Family Visit too.

BTW...For my fellow Canadians, this year's Poppy Campaign starts on Friday. Please go and buy a Poppy and support The Royal Canadian Legion. Our Veterans need all the help they can get.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Duke of Cambridge will take the salute on Horse Guards after the Queen and Royal Family lay wreaths at the Cenotaph on November 8.

Reminder-
The Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance- 9pm UK Time on BBC One:
"In the presence of HM the Queen and members of the royal family, Huw Edwards presents the Royal British Legion's annual Festival of Remembrance, which pays tribute to all victims of war and conflict.

Andrea Bocelli, Rod Stewart, Gregory Porter and Pixie Lott perform alongside the Central Band of the Royal Air Force, the Queen's Colour Squadron, the Band of HM Royal Marines, and the Band and Pipes of the Brigade of Gurkhas. From World War One to the present day, as the poppy petals fall from the roof of the Royal Albert Hall, the Festival will remember the many who make the ultimate sacrifice."
BBC One - Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance, 2015

Remembrance events: Queen to lead tributes to war dead - BBC News
The Queen will lead the tributes as the UK pays its respects to the country's war dead this weekend.

The monarch will attend the annual Royal Festival of Remembrance at London's Royal Albert Hall later.

She and the Duke of Edinburgh will also lay a wreath at the Cenotaph on Sunday, during the traditional Remembrance Sunday service in Westminster.

A display of thousands of ceramic poppies from the 2014 Tower of London exhibit has opened in Liverpool.

Sunday's service at the Cenotaph, which honours those killed in World Wars One and Two, as well as later conflicts, is going to be shorter than in previous years, in an effort to reduce the amount of time war veterans are made to stand.

However, plans to make political leaders lay wreaths together in order to save time were dropped after some political leaders argued they were being overlooked.

Meanwhile, the UK Independence Party (UKIP) has written to the Queen to complain about not being represented during the Remembrance Sunday events.

Kate Middleton looked elegant in a demure black lace dress as she joined Prince William, the Queen and a host of other senior royals at the Festival of Remembrance.

The Duchess of Cambridge arrived at the Royal Albert Hall in London for the ceremony tonight with her husband and was greeted by the venue's president Anthony Travis and the president of the Royal British Legion Vice-Admiral Peter Wilkinson.

The Queen, whose entrance was signalled by a fanfare from the State Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry Band, is the patron of the Royal British Legion.

Her Majesty was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The Duke of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra were also in attendance, as was Prime Minister David Cameron.
Read more: Kate Middleton joins Wills and the Queen for remembrance festival | Daily Mail Online

Is the reason for the indoor ceremony because of the rainy weather? I can understand not wanting the Queen and Prince Philip standing out in the rain at their age. (I suspect they had some health scares in the recent past from just that, being exposed in inclement weather).

I like the feel of the indoor ceremony, though I suppose far fewer of the public (or none really) can see such. Catherine and William look at ease with each other and their roles. Good to see. :flowers:

Last edited:
Is the reason for the indoor ceremony because of the rainy weather? I can understand not wanting the Queen and Prince Philip standing out in the rain at their age. (I suspect they had some health scares in the recent past from just that, being exposed in inclement weather).

I like the feel of the indoor ceremony, though I suppose far fewer of the public (or none really) can see such. Catherine and William look at ease with each other and their roles. Good to see. :flowers:

This happens every year on the evening preceding Remembrance Sunday, the Cenotaph will still be outside tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

This happens every year on the evening preceding Remembrance Sunday, the Cenotaph will still be outside tomorrow morning.

Ah, thank you, RoyalProtocol. :flowers:

I'd like to comment on Catherine's ensemble (I know I shouldn't here) but I can't find the thread. I really don't know my way around this site even still. :huh: Could someone direct me?

Back
Top Bottom