Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's interesting that this year the Sunday will actually be the 11th. Prince Edward doesn't usually lay a wreath and I can't see why William would. I think the rule is that if they 'see' action then they're allowed to come down from the balcony. William stood with Camilla last year, I assume he'll do the same this year.

And of course, there's another PM there this time. So the line will be Maggie, John, Tony and Gordon.

Last edited:
William and Edward are among the BRF laying wreaths this year at the cenotaph. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 10.11.2007

You're welcome and nice pics you two have added :flowers:
It seems to be a ritual act that belongs to the ceremony,
they put holy water over a Murti figure.

Here are some pics from today:
Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall attend a service
of Remembrance at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, central London, Saturday,
Nov. 10, 2007, as they join about 150 war widows to remember Britain's war dead:

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4

Prince Charles honours the dead as he lays a wreath at the Cenotaph

The Prince of Wales laid a wreath at the Cenotaph today, during a Service of Remembrance at which he was joined by about 150 war widows.
The widows, some in wheelchairs, were accompanied by a pipe band as they processed to the Cenotaph for the service.
Charles stood with the Duchess of Cornwall, who wore a Philip Treacy hat, as prayers were said and hymns sung.

It's the Festival of Remembrance tonight at the Royal Albert Hall . I look forward to seeing pics of the Royals arriving.

I am sorry (and of course, I do not mean to offend anybody's feelings), but Prince Charles with all these medals reminds me of the Soviet party leaders. Is it necessary to wear all the medals?

I am sorry (and of course, I do not mean to offend anybody's feelings), but Prince Charles with all these medals reminds me of the Soviet party leaders. Is it necessary to wear all the medals?

He doesn't really have that many in those pictures, though. The Queen's Service Order, Coronation Medal, 2 Jubilee medals, Canadian Forces Decoration, and some other medal from New Zealand.

If he has them, he either wears all of them or none of them. He doesn't go through a drawer and think "I'd like to wear the Silver jubilee today and maybe something from New Zealand."

Some of the other decorations are like that, but not the medals.

It is possible that Edward won't wear a uniform. He never wore a uniform to the commeration of the Falklands earlier this year nor did he wear one at the wreath laying earlier this year. It depends whether he is there actually in the capacity of the colonel in chief or simply as a member of the royal family.

The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
arrive at the Royal Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall, 10 Nov.:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

He doesn't really have that many in those pictures, though. The Queen's Service Order, Coronation Medal, 2 Jubilee medals, Canadian Forces Decoration, and some other medal from New Zealand.

If he has them, he either wears all of them or none of them. He doesn't go through a drawer and think "I'd like to wear the Silver jubilee today and maybe something from New Zealand."

Some of the other decorations are like that, but not the medals.
This is the first time I see Prince Charles so heavily decorated. Let him wear all the medals, if it is a tradition.

This is the first time I see Prince Charles so heavily decorated. Let him wear all the medals, if it is a tradition.

When a medal is awarded it is expected that they will all be worn at appropriate occasions.

Charles has worn all of them before but as the last one was only given in 2002 it may seem as if he is wearing more.

William and Harry both wear one - the Jubilee medal from 2002 - but no doubt will get more as the years go by.

Charles isn't claiming that these medals are for military bravery but they do represent different things e.g. Coronation and Jubilee medals were awarded by his mother for being her eldest son and being at these celebrations (Edward, Anne and Andrew also have the 2 Jubilee medals and Philip also has the ones that Charles has along with those he earnt in WWII).

Modern royals actually have far fewer decorations than even their fairly recent ancestors. It was the norm that all children of a monarch would have every conceivable knighthood and medal in existence, especially everything in the sovereign's personal gift.

If the people have a problem with Princes William and Edward laying a wreath not fighting in a war. They would have serious problem with how my community does it, as a good portion is layed by childern (5 and up). (Also its the Air Cadets and Sea cadets (both groups are ages 12 and up) who stand at the cross during the service. One year we even did a 24 hour vigil, outside in the cold, wet, snow.)

Last edited:
I also live in a town where it it done by Children as well. It helps them see memorials as something living and it really puts a smile on the old peoples faces.
Most people don't know that WWI and II were not only fought by the armies and soliders. The vounteers and the people at home - women and children also need a memory to keep them alive. The people killed in the blitz and just a nice reminder to all the widowers and families left behind. We will never see wars like that againa and I hope not. This isn't just about a clap on the back thank you for putting on a uniform and dying for your country chaps day.

Rex Features has loads of great pictures of all the Royals arriving for the Festival of Remembrance last night. Can anyone post the enlarged version of these here? I particuarly wanted to see the pic of Princess Michael as I watched the festival last night and she was wearing a really impressive large diamond brooch I have never seem before and I want a closer look.

The Queen leads the nation...commemorating....war dead, The Daily Mail, 11 November 2007

I don't know why they put a photo of Brangelina at the top, with Angelina wearing a poppy, but the article is actually about the royals at the service. For some reason, they used images of the royals extracted from the TV footage of the service.

The Queen led the nation in commemorating the sacrifice made by Britain's war dead at today's Remembrance Sunday ceremony.
The monarch is joined by Prime Minister Gordon Brown, opposition party leaders and High Commissioners from Commonwealth countries at the wreath-laying event in central London.
Thousands of veterans have also gathered to pay their respects to Britain's war dead at the ceremony staged at the Cenotaph memorial in Whitehall.

Among the senior royals placing floral tributes at the monument was Prince William - an officer in the Blues and Royals - who is taking part in the ceremony for the first time.

Chris Simpkins, the Royal British Legion's director general, said: "As custodians of remembrance, the Royal British Legion recognises Remembrance Sunday as one of the most important days in the nation's calendar and calls on the nation to observe the two-minute silence either at the cenotaph or at a local parade in their area.

"We use this time to remember those who have made sacrifices and continue to do so, in order to bring about and maintain our freedom."

After the Last Post was played and a two-minute silence observed, the Queen laid the first wreath on behalf of the nation.

She was followed by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, Prince William, the Duke of York, the Princess Royal and the Duke of Kent.

On the balcony watching the ceremonies: The Gloucesters, Princess Alexandra, and Vice-Admiral Laurence. In absentia: Prince Harry. Clarence House apparently explained Harry's absence as being on account of army duties. He honored the Remembrance Day with his regiment, they said.

Lowe, Felix: "Britain falls silent on Remembrance Day...." The Telegraph, 11 November 2007

Britons fell silent for two minutes this morning in remembrance of the sacrifices made by the nation's war dead.
The Queen led the commemorations at the Cenotaph memorial in Whitehall where she was joined by other members of the royal family and Gordon Brown in laying wreaths.

Forty-two British soldiers have lost their lives since last Remembrance Day, including many who died in the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, making this year's commemorations particularly poignant.

Oh ok.... yeah, makes sense that Camilla was on the balcony. I got mixed up thinking she was laying a wreath.

I wonder why The Duke of Gloucester didn't lay a wreath though. He never served in the army, is that why? It can be confusing, because Prince Edward and Princess Anne only have ceremonial connection to the military too.

Royals who laid a wreath
* Her Majesty The Queen
* HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
* HRH The Prince of Wales
* HRH Prince William
* HRH The Duke of York
* HRH The Earl of Wessex
* HRH The Princess Royal
* HRH The Duke of Kent

Non-wreath laying royal attendance
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy

The Duke of Kent, Earl of Wessex, Prince William, Duke of Edinburgh - Polfoto
Prince William
Prince William and The Duke of Edinburgh

Britain remembers war veterans with annual service - Yahoo! News

Royal Insight (the official royal magazine site) also has updated their gallery with pics of The Duke of Edinburgh opening the Field of Remembrance. I believe today or tomorrow there will be pics of today. They are usually rather punctual about updating the gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
camilla and her majesty look like their usual selfs: elegant and appropriate as ever.

Casiraghi, to add to your list of the royals who have laid wreaths today, i want to mention that the Duke of York was also there and he did lay a wreath himself.
I wonder why the balcony of Camilla only her and Timothy. I think there are still more spaces for the Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra to stay on. I'd love to see them more uniting standing on there together.

Thanks for the info., HMQueen. :cool:

ITN video coverage
It's short and poignant.

I didn't see any balcony pics yet. I just read in the articles I post from Telegraph and DM that the Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra, and from milla Ca The Duchess too, watched from the balcony. But as for what I have seen so far, only The Queen and the succeeding wreath layers, and the prime ministers, MPs, etc. That was sweet how Sir John Major helped Lady Thatcher down the steps! :angel:

Thanks for the info., HMQueen. :cool:

ITN video coverage
It's short and poignant.

I didn't see any balcony pics yet. I just read in the articles I post from Telegraph and DM that the Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra, and from milla Ca The Duchess too, watched from the balcony. But as for what I have seen so far, only The Queen and the succeeding wreath layers, and the prime ministers, MPs, etc. That was sweet how Sir John Major helped Lady Thatcher down the steps! :angel:

If you have EuroNews, it's their "No Comment" coverage of the day with good shots of Camilla, the Queen and William (in that order) but frustratingly, Charles is cut out of the equation.

It was interesting to see that the royal family lay wreaths in the order of their place in the line of succession rather than in the order of precedence.

Back
Top Bottom