Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't tell what the order was because none of the coverage I caught showed the order.... in fact, all I saw was The Queen and Prince William laying their wreaths, and a pic of Prince Charles holding his.

I noticed, however, that some of the women wore multiple poppies. Like Lady Thatcher wore three, The Queen wore four, Camilla wore two.... but all the men wore one. I wonder if it's just for a silly reason like more poppies makes the brooches look better, or for the men, too many poppies cover up the medals.... :doh:

I want to see the Kents and Gloucesters too. I have a Rex account but only watermarked pics, no HQ, and I believe that only HQ access is for their UK clients. If you are in the US, they will refer to you to Rex USA

The watermarked pics aren't worth anything. Especially with their new watermark style. :neutral:

However.......... there are pics at Getty, some showing The Duke of Kent, but no Gloucesters. It was odd just to see Camilla and Tim on the balcony this year. Usually the balcony holds at least four....

The Getty Gallery

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Casiraghi Trio it was very odd two see just two people on the balcony. I remember when there were all these spectacular royals up there. Now theres just Camilla and Tim.:sad:

There are few balconies... The Gloucesters and the Kent got their one with Princess Alexandra but i didn't see any pics of it... I'd like to see Princess Michael.

Does anyone know what the (rude and boorish, IMO) guy was yelling during the silence? I caught "traitor and a hypocrite" but I couldn't tell who it was about. Someone in the government, I presume...

Are there any pictures of Prince...oops...I mean, Princess Anne?...hehe :winkiss:
And I do very much like how Camilla can often look like a nanny applying for a position with the Banks family (Mary Poppins) and still look every bit the royal personage that she is. She's seems to pull it off with such resounding success!​
You're ok Camz!​

Last edited:
Are there any pictures of Prince...oh...I mean, Princess Anne? :winkiss:

Madame Royale, if you go to the gallery on Getty Images, you can find one of Princess Anne walking behind the Queen. There are another one of all the Royals salute as well, luckily for myself, i can see them in HQs from EPA and Tim Graham. However, there are no photos of the Festival yet, i'd like to see them in HQs as well.

Charles leads Remembrance Day tributes

The Prince of Wales presented medals and laid a wreath during the Welsh Guards´ Remembrance Sunday in London yesterday as events took place across Wales to mark the occasion.

Charles leads Remembrance Day tributes - Wales News - News - icWales

HRH presents medals to Welsh Guards and lays a wreath at the Guards´ Memorial
11th Novemer
The Prince of Wales - HRH presents medals to Welsh Guards and lays a wreath at the Guards' Memorial

some pics:
Fotobanka isifa image service

Last edited:
The Abaca Gallery

Belga Pictures
Her Majesty
Royal lineup
Prince William ahead of The Duke of Kent and Earl of Wessex
Her Majesty again She looks so ....... great is not the word. Fabulous isn't the word, because of the occasion....... She just looks amazing though. I can't find the perfect word to describe it.
Last Picture where you can see Andrew and Anne

Hello! and Hola!
Personal sorrow as William salutes fallen with floral tribute
LAS LÁGRIMAS DE LA DUQUESA DE CORNUALLES EN EL HOMENAJE A LOS CAÍDOS

Last edited:
You rock, Iceflower, as usual! If only TRF had the kudo system like over at TFS, you'd get kudos from me.

:angel:

The Queen as always look somber but very regal, I thought it odd though that we can't find any pictures of the other members of The Royal Family on the balconies.

I bet it's because all the media was honing in on Prince William laying his wreath. Last year we had more pics from the balconies, and why do you suppose? Because Prince William was up there! This year he was not up there, so there are few pics, just a few to show Camilla, but no more. William, William, William. :rolleyes:

Remembrance Day 2008

Does anybody know the reason why Camilla and Prince Charles always wears a red flower(?) pin?

Does anybody know why Camilla always wears a red flower(?) pin?

Charles does too and so do many people at the moment in Britain or the Commonwealth. It's because of Rememberance Day - to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, especially since World War I. The day was dedicated by King George V on November 7th 1919 and people wear Poppies as a symbol for rememberance :flowers:

Remembrance Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Duke!:flowers:
I didn't know it! I thought it had something to do with Japan!

I wondered too if some thought had been given to the wearing of the poppies during a visit to Japan. I know it's the right time of year for the British people to do this, but I might have been concerned about irritating my Japanese hosts.

Don't get me wrong, I always buy them in the U.S. because my grandfather was a disabled World War I vet... but then I'm not on an official tour in Japan.

I wondered too if some thought had been given to the wearing of the poppies during a visit to Japan. I know it's the right time of year for the British people to do this, but I might have been concerned about irritating my Japanese hosts.

Don't get me wrong, I always buy them in the U.S. because my grandfather was a disabled World War I vet... but then I'm not on an official tour in Japan.

A few years ago C&C were on an overseas tour, I think to the Middle East and Pakistan in the run up to Rememberance Day. Given she was abroad and wearing Asian inspired clothes with veils etc, Camilla did not wear a poppy for a few days, only to be constantly criticised by the UK paps. So I think thre is now an unwriten rule for the royals: come what may, don't leave home with out the poppy!!!

It's because of Rememberance Day - to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, especially since World War I. The day was dedicated by King George V on November 7th 1919 and people wear Poppies as a symbol for rememberance :flowers:
Although you are correct with the details for Remembrance Day, the reason for wearing the Red Poppy is thus - A doctor called John McCrea, who was working to help soldiers in France, wrote a poem in 1915 about the poppies growing on the graves of dead soldiers, this is the poem
In Flanders' fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders' fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders' Fields.
John McCrae, 1915
Then an American poet called Moina Michael read the beautiful poem. It gave her the idea of using poppies to remember the dead and also to help the living at the same time.
Moina bought real poppies and gave them out to friends. She also sold some poppies and gave the money to surviving, needy ex-soldiers. The rest as they say is history.

The first official Poppy Day, organised by the charity called The Royal British Legion, was held in 1921:flowers:

Thanks for the info sky first time I hear about it :flowers:

Wearing a Rememberence Poppy whilst in Japan should not present any diplomatic problems. In WWI the Japanese fought against the Germans. Nevertheless, observing Rememberence Day is important as it has now transcended that one moment and we all now remember all the dead, from Flanders to Bazra.

Here in New Zealand and Australia we commemerate ANZAC Day, to remember those ANZAC's who fell, originally on the shores of the Gallipoli peninsula in April 1915.

Today part of the great OE is to visit the ANZAC Memorial at Gallipoli, on ANZAC Day, where the Turks honour all the dead, and read these famous words.

"Those heroes that shed their blood
and lost their lives...
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country,
therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Jonnies
and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side.
Here in this country of ours...
You, the mothers,
who sent their sons from far away countries
wipe away your tears.
Your sons are now lying in our bossom
and are in peace.
After having lost their lives on this land they have
become our sons as well."

Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

ANZAC Memorial, 1934.

Would that the rest of the world felt the same, but until then we will wear our poppies for Remembrence on April 25, just as you do for November 11 in whichever place we find ourselves.

Ah! Thank you all for the information!

They signify the remembrance of the dead who died on the battle fields of France which were covered with red poppies. We have Poppy Day when we buy poppies and wear them and the money goes to a war veteran´s charity.

Yes, that's what Giov said as well. Thanks to you both! :flowers:

Not ony France but also Belgium . I learned at School : In Flanders Fields the puppies blow , we are the death...
In Ypres (Belguim ) every evening at ?? p.m. your may hear "The last Post".

Not ony France but also Belgium . I learned at School : In Flanders Fields the puppies blow , we are the death...
In Ypres (Belguim ) every evening at ?? p.m. your may hear "The last Post".
I always wear one on Veteran's Day and often Memorial Day. I LOVE the Flanders Field poem.

Back
Top Bottom