The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I hope we all take some time to remember those of our countrymen and women who sacrificed for us. I always stop to think of my grandfather on November 11.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I hope we all take some time to remember those of our countrymen and women who sacrificed for us. I always stop to think of my grandfather on November 11.
Then you, it appears are part of a dying breed, wonderful none the less!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Skydragon, once again you took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers in this case). Ridiculous that someone would think that the Duchess and Countess are trying to "upstage" the event. I think all the ladies looked very nice for the event. I hardly think they both got together via phone that morning and said "what hats can we wear so we'll get our pictures taken?"

Also, I agree....I don't think there should be an issue about Prince William not attending the festival evening. As you pointed out, he was quite a distance away and probably could not make it back in time, unless he wanted to do so via helicopter or private plane and then imagine the uproar that would have caused. It we really wanted to point fingers at royals not attending, then perhaps we should chastise the Duke of York for not having his daughters attend either event (Oh wait...they couldn't make it since I'm sure they were at Whisky Mist or Bijouis! )

Agree that Beatrice and Eugenie should have attended the event as well but i still believe that William could have made it back to attend and in this instance the use of a royal helicopter would have been totally alright as it was for official royal engagements

Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Why does the Queen wear a poppy some days and not others??

5th November
http://i33.tinypic.com/23igmyw.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/f3c5sh.jpg

4th November (ok this is a remembrance event)
http://i33.tinypic.com/1zyg6jp.jpg

In the second photo under "November 5th" - it appears that Prince Philip has nodded off!
He certainly has aged recently and looks very frail -
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Though it be a very solemn event, both Sophie and Camilla's hats look comical. Sophie looks like Dish TV and Camilla looks like a small bear is attacking her head.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Nico! I think HM and HRH TPR looked fabulous in dresses that were similar but elegant!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think the Queen Mother used to as well. I don't know if it has to do with being a senior royal or if there's some other significance to it, to be honest.
Does it possibly mean to remember those who are currently serving? Meaning Will and Harry?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I'll be going to a Remembrance Day ceremony event tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Then you, it appears are part of a dying breed, wonderful none the less!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Does it possibly mean to remember those who are currently serving? Meaning Will and Harry?
No, Remembrance Day isn't like Veterans Day; it's specifically to remember the servicemen and women who gave their lives in wartime. That's why the royal family attends the service dressed in mourning.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Just watched the Remembrance service to mark the 90th anniversary of the end of WW1. It was a moving event with the last 3 British survivors in attendance - seeing those remarkable and inspirational men laying wreaths was amazing. The Duchess of Gloucester was in attendance and as ever was so regal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7720601.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7721396.stm

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Again another incredibly moving ceremony, with only a slight glitch. It was cold but it is November. Well done to all who took part, especially such revered veterans.

The Duchess of Gloucester was nicely turned out.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

2 lovely tributes to canada from the UK. the second one is a couple of years old but lovely to read.

British queen launches Canadian war remembrance - International Herald Tribune

Salute to a Brave and Modest Nation
Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness

The BBC report about the Armistice events mentioned Prince and Princess Michael attending one today. There are good photos of this on Rex Features if anyone is interested.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
The BBC report about the Armistice events mentioned Prince and Princess Michael attending one today. There are good photos of this on Rex Features if anyone is interested.
Here are some of the pics:

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent at Armistice Day Service at the
National Memorial Arboretum, Staffordshire, Britain - 11 Nov 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William's wreath

I hope that no-one else has posted this. Sad that young people like William are again losing friends in war. Thank you to all the brave young men and women who are serving or have served.

Prince William pays his respects to fallen | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Remembrance Services 2009

  
Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph for first time - Telegraph

He will represent the Prince of Wales who is in Canada with the Duchess of Cornwall on an official tour.
The 25-year-old second lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, who is third in line to the throne, will follow the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh in the ceremony to honour the fallen.

He is unusually taking precedence over Prince William, who is a future King, because he is standing in for his father the heir to the throne.

Prince Harry will lay his father’s wreath, complete with the feathers of the Prince of Wales, and a personal handwritten note in honour of the war dead. He will be dressed in the blue and scarlet uniform of an officer in the Household Cavalry Division.The Queen approved the decision to invite Prince Harry to step in for his father. He has been practising wreath laying at St James’s Palace where he shares an office with Prince William.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are the first pics from yesterday:

Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of York arrive
at the Royal Albert Hall in London to attend the Royal Festival of
Remembrance in tribute to those who gave their lives fighting for
their country. London, November 7 2009.

More members of the family attended as well, but no pics so far.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Beautiful ceremony so far. Harry laying a wreath for his father is wonderful.
The Queen looked stunning last night, i'm surprised she departed from her usual floor length gown.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you for the pictures, Princess Anne did us proud with the reading. The acoustics/sound set up in the AH were not brilliant for some reason. As it was a moving service, I was a little surprised by the picture of Andrew, even if he did have a jolly good time, it was inappropriate at such a solemn ceremony!

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Remembrance Sunday

Thousands of people across the country have honoured the men and women killed in conflicts past and present with a two-minute silence.
The Queen laid a wreath at the Cenotaph in London in front of the prime minister, military leaders and Commonwealth representatives

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8348225.stm

The Queen today led the nation is paying respect to Britain's war dead in the Remembrance Sunday ceremony.
The Monarch, warmly clad in a black coat against the autumn chill, placed the first wreath in the annual event at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.
Skies were threatening but the rain held off as the Queen was followed in placing wreaths by the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Harry, on behalf of the Prince of Wales who is on an official visit to Canada, and Prince William

Read more: Queen leads Remembrance Day ceremony in first year without World War I veterans | Mail Online

Last nights festival of remembrance -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...embrance_2009/

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day