The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Actually for most of the last couple of decades I have found that the reporting and discussions on this event have focussed on what was being worn rather than what was being remembered.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That is ridiculous; of all days, rank and one's standing in the RF should not be a consideration when you've served your country. It's a shame the Vice Admiral was relegated to the sidelines, because he's an in-law, and not allowed to participate in the laying of a wreath when he earned his right to do so. To me, anyone who actively served one's country should have place of honor in any ceremony honoring the war dead.

And that's my opinion, as well.
If you feel that strongly perhaps you should write a letter to the Queens Private Secretary and suggest that Sir Tim lay a wreath next year, perhaps jointly with his wife.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the suggestion, but it just seems strange to me that a lot of people who express their opinions on topics here and elsewhere on the forum aren't advised to do the same thing as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Found this on my twitter. Very simple and touching.

RegalEyes Mark Stewart
The Duke of Cambridge card on his cenotaph wreath read "For Jo, Lex and all those who have made the ultimate sacriifce for our country Wills

And here are some more pictures. Just scroll down past the Monaco stuff.

http://myroyal-myroyals.blogspot.com/

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

It's interesting to see that the Countess of Wessex was wearing a Canadian poppy.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Found this on my twitter. Very simple and touching.
That's lovely. Also, that link has some truly wonderful pictures of the merry wives of the house of Windsor!

I really love the second to last photo- the one of the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge smiling together.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Majesty

I love the pictures of them smiling. I know some may see it as disrespectful, but I see it as family members interacting with each other. I'm pretty sure the smiling didn't happen when the wreaths were being laid, or when the veterans marched, so there's no reason to get on anyone's case. Plus, this is Catherine's first time participating in something like this, so perhaps Camila and Sophie wanted her to feel a little more at ease, so hence the moment of giggles.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
It's interesting to see that the Countess of Wessex was wearing a Canadian poppy.
Isn't she an honorary colonel of a Canadian regiment? Perhaps that's the reason. I wonder where Camilla got her knitted poppy from?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I love the pictures of them smiling. I know some may see it as disrespectful, but I see it as family members interacting with each other. I'm pretty sure the smiling didn't happen when the wreaths were being laid, or when the veterans marched, so there's no reason to get on anyone's case. Plus, this is Catherine's first time participating in something like this, so perhaps Camila and Sophie wanted her to feel a little more at ease, so hence the moment of giggles.
I didn't see it as disrespectful at all... they were solemn during the ceremony and looked like an affectionate family before and after. I love seeing them all looking happy.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I didn't see it as disrespectful at all... they were solemn during the ceremony and looked like an affectionate family before and after. I love seeing them all looking happy.
In complete agreement here.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Fully agree with you.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well then precedence was broken today, as it went HM, Prince Phillip, POW, William, Duke of York, Prince Edward, Princess Royal and The Duke of Kent. I'm thinking it's succession because it can't be rank.
Isn't precedence at the discretion of HM? I'm sure she wants William, now that he is married, to take his place as the heir of the heir by acting directly after his father. The queen is not immortal and surely she wants to have her house in order when the day comes that Charles will be king. Then there should be a clear and clean transition to the new king and his new PoW. IMHO, of course.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative The Netherlands

Kate Middleton joins Prince William at Remembrance Day service - hellomagazine.com
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do not really have a problem with the laughing and jovial moments between the Royal spouses on the balcony. We are only admonishing the women; we do not know if Tim participated in any moments of laughter. We only see snippets of moments via images, so we do not know whether they were before of after the ceremony. I imagine Camilla and Sophie were making Catherine more at ease, and it is lovely to see the Royal wives get along together. They are going to be in one another's company for a very long time, so it's lovely to see that in public they can be polite to one another. I am sure during the moments of solemnity the women were quiet and respectful. It's only human to have a joke with fellow women and for all we know they may have been discussing family or private jokes. For example, we may have witnessed Catherine asking Sophie something about her children etc. We will never know.

I think it is right that William comes before his uncles, as this is the way it's going to be in the future. He does come before them in precedence when his father is present does he not?

Regarding Sophie's Canadian poppy, I did not even really notice it was different. Just goes to show how reliable my observation skills are! Perhaps it is because she is hononary colonel of a Canadian troop, as well as the fact that she is going to Canana this month.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I also saw nothing wrong with the moments of lightness shared; for me there was no disrespect at all. It just seemed that as a family gathering together for an event, like any other family who might be catching up with each other after a period apart, they were conversing and sharing moments of light gaiety. But once the ceremony began, they all got down to business with proper demeanor. As others have noted, the more seasoned ladies may have been trying to put Kate at ease at another of these major events. In any case, it is nice to see the camaraderie and warmth shared among each other.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 AM

I think what we have here is a classic case of the publication of photographs out of chronological order. Before the ceremony actually starts, there's a fair bit of waiting about and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Countess of Wessex and Tim Laurence will have had a good five minutes on the balcony before the remembrance service began. It's from this five minutes that we got the laughter shot. So I don't consider it disrespectful at all. During the service itself, there's certainly no room for laughter. On a different note, I was surprised how much Catherine reminded me of a young Queen Alexandra in that hat and coat.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

Going off topic ,or not depending on your opinion, what do other countries do to remember their war dead ?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
It's from this five minutes that we got the laughter shot.

And that's what they call the "money shot" in the news industry.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here in the U.S., Memorial Day is a Federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. This observance originated among Northern communities, both black and white, after the American Civil War to commemorate the fallen Union soldiers of the Civil War. The observance has now grown to encompass the dead of all wars and other military actions in which the U.S. participated. The president lays a wreath at the tomb of the Unknown in Washington, D.C.

Veterans Day (formerly called Armistice Day),is an annual U.S. holiday honoring all military veterans . It is a Federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended WWI. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

here, in argentina, we remember the malvinas's war. here the mane is el dia del veterano.

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day