Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also have their own family WhatsApp group, so they communicate through that as well. As I said before, they’re much more close than the press would like you to know.
Do we know if they gave a family WhatsApp group?

Oh; how I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that group! :D

Why? It is private conversations between family members. The only reason a person would enjoy would be to record and sell it to the media for money making.

Why? It is private conversations between family members. The only reason a person would enjoy would be to record and sell it to the media for money making.

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously hence the [emoji3] Obviously I wouldn't hack into their account and read all their messages, you're taking what I said out of context and I don't like being labelled for something like that. It's comments such as these which really make me wonder why I'm still posting on the site; which is sad because it should be a place to enjoy away from the realities of life. (Though I also realise I am too much of a TRF addict to leave [emoji3].) I don't like sounding so negative, but quite frankly, I'm just done with people taking things so seriously and ruining the fun and trivia of the site for others, because that's how I feel at the moment. Disagreeing with things is fine, because that laments for a healthy discussion, though overreactions and constant nitpicks (in general, not just you) become tiring after time.
You could also criticise everyone who uses the "fly on the wall" phrase, because the whole point of the phrase is that it's a moment you would have liked to but were unable to see. You could say the exact same thing to someone using the phrase in a real life context and accuse them of harassment or stalking. But we don't, because it's a lighthearted phrase.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Recent reports have continued to describe the close bond that has developed between the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Sussex:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...prince-charles-bond-prince-harry-royal-family

"Meghan and Charles have reportedly bonded over their interest in art and culture. Charles is also teaching the Duchess of Sussex about the history of the royal family [and the royal art collection]... 'The Duchess has shown a genuine interest in learning more about the history of the family she has married into and her father-in-law has been delighted to impart some of his knowledge.' Meghan’s arrival on the royal scene has also helped improve Prince Harry’s relationship with Charles, a source has claimed."

Meghan and Harry are said to have spent vacation time with Charles and Camilla at the Castle of Mey, in Scotland (which once belonged to the Queen Mother). Prince Charles also played a large role in helping M&H with their wedding planning, particularly in picking many of the musical selections, and in suggesting the Kingdom Choir, and the Coptic minister.

In fact, Meghan once shared this upbeat wisdom on her Tig website:
"Thoughts become things, so it's important to stay as positive as possible. It's crazy how it trickles into everything in your life."

Last edited:
Recent reports have continued to describe the close bond that has developed between the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Sussex:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...prince-charles-bond-prince-harry-royal-family

"Meghan and Charles have reportedly bonded over their interest in art and culture. Charles is also teaching the Duchess of Sussex about the history of the royal family [and the royal art collection]... 'The Duchess has shown a genuine interest in learning more about the history of the family she has married into and her father-in-law has been delighted to impart some of his knowledge.' Meghan’s arrival on the royal scene has also helped improve Prince Harry’s relationship with Charles, a source has claimed."

Meghan and Harry are said to have spent vacation time with Charles and Camilla at the Castle of Mey, in Scotland (which once belonged to the Queen Mother). Prince Charles also played a large role in helping M&H with their wedding planning, particularly in picking many of the musical selections, and in suggesting the Kingdom Choir, and the Coptic minister.

In fact, Meghan once shared this upbeat wisdom on her Tig website:
"Thoughts become things, so it's important to stay as positive as possible. It's crazy how it trickles into everything in your life."
I wonder if Charles sees echoes of some of his grandmother’s personality in Meghan - particularly the nurturing/keeping a positive attitude attribute that both Meghan and the Queen mother seem/seemed to have.

:previous:

Yes, I think it's also significant that Meghan and the Queen Mother (Elizabeth Bowes Lyon) share the same birthday (August 4), which likely means they share some similar character traits (as you suggest). Seemingly, Meghan and the deceased Queen Mother share a strong, determined Leo personality.

Prince Charles was notably close to the Queen Mother, who had taken on the mothering and nurturing role for her daughter after QE-II was prematurely charged with ascending to the throne.

That was a lovely article. I'm always glad to read about Charles and Meghan, but I was especially happy reading that Charles, William and Harry are closer than ever. August 2017 indeed was a hard time - Charles had rehabilitated his reputation, and then all of a sudden, it was as if time had reversed. It hurts to read that William "flatly refused" to mention his father in that documentary - but I guess it's not surprising. He was the eldest, probably very protective of his mother - and probably resentful of his father, even though of course he loved him. From what I've read, Charles has always given his sons space - and I'm guessing that he never pressed them when they might have been angry/resentful at him, possibly blaming him for things that kids sometimes blame their parents for. I think William and Harry, particularly William, might just have needed time to reassess things after having relived 20 years ago all over again. Of course, Charles walking Meghan down the aisle in the place of her own father seems to also have been a turning point.

Its amazing how perspectives can differ between people. Your perspective is just as valid as mine is but I didn't see things like you did.

I think when it came time for the documentary commemorating the 20th anniversary of Diana's death, both William and Harry were adamant that the focus would be on their mother and their mother alone. It wasn't the time or the place to speak out about their father. Even Charles, himself, thoughtfully removed himself to the quiet of Scotland during this time and, to me, that was being respectful and his own way of commemorating the death of a woman he was at one time married to but they *both* couldn't make it work. Its been said in several sources I've read that Charles kept photographs of Diana around Highgrove because it was his sons' home.

Relationships between kids and their parents change over time. How we perceive our parents to be when we're teenagers usually is quite different as to how we see them as adults. Reminds me of a Mark Twain quote ""When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." ?

Wy would the anniversary of Diana's death have anything to do with Charles?

The rags wanted a quote to continue their reenactment of the War of the Wales. They could have had a new bat with which to beat Charles.

Its amazing how perspectives can differ between people. Your perspective is just as valid as mine is but I didn't see things like you did.

I think when it came time for the documentary commemorating the 20th anniversary of Diana's death, both William and Harry were adamant that the focus would be on their mother and their mother alone. It wasn't the time or the place to speak out about their father. Even Charles, himself, thoughtfully removed himself to the quiet of Scotland during this time and, to me, that was being respectful and his own way of commemorating the death of a woman he was at one time married to but they *both* couldn't make it work. Its been said in several sources I've read that Charles kept photographs of Diana around Highgrove because it was his sons' home.

Relationships between kids and their parents change over time. How we perceive our parents to be when we're teenagers usually is quite different as to how we see them as adults. Reminds me of a Mark Twain quote ""When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." ?

Osipi, I actually agree with you completely. I think the way the article worded it made it sound like "William refused because he was angry at his father and didn't want to taint his mother's memory by mentioning him" - but again, it was someone on Charles' behalf that asked, not Charles. The media always has to comment on everything, so the fact that Charles wasn't mentioned became a huge talking point, because of course it HAS to mean that William and Harry don't love him, don't appreciate him, etc.

Many times divorced parents use their kids against each other, say cruel and nasty things to their children about their former spouse - it's horrible. From what I've read, neither Charles nor Diana ever did that to William and Harry, and that's a blessing. They turned out pretty darned good despite it all, and I think it speaks volumes about how much their parents loved/love them.

LOL that's a great quote - and very insightful.

They also have their own family WhatsApp group, so they communicate through that as well. As I said before, they’re much more close than the press would like you to know.

That makes a lot of sense, because as royals, it's difficult to trust too many outsiders. Thereby closeness among immediate family members, especially the young cousins, is a good thing.

It doesn't appear though that the Mountbatten-Windsors, Chattos, and Snowdens, are that close to the other Windsor cousins, including the Kents and Gloucesters.

Always at ceremonial events, and family gatherings, the dynamic between individual family members is interesting to witness, albeit that what we see doesn't tell us the whole story. For example, the greetings between and amongst the senior royals at around 9:00 in the below recent video is fascinating (as they were waiting for the Queen's arrival). Some elements of the media, as usual, tried to put a slant on the interaction between Kate and Meghan. I think the interaction between Prince Charles, Prince William, and Prince Harry, and especially between Prince Charles & DoS Meghan is more interesting:

Last edited:
The only thing that saddens me; the media has pushed the narrative that there’s a strain in the relationship between William and Harry. The separation of households for the Cambridge’s and Sussex’s are just a natural progression in their roles and responsibilities within the Firm. The whole narrative about the two senior couples were and, still is, very much unnecessary and unfair.

It doesn't appear though that the Mountbatten-Windsors, Chattos, and Snowdens, are that close to the other Windsor cousins, including the Kents and Gloucesters.

Which is probably the same as most families. For example, the older Kents & Gloucesters are 1st cousins to the Queen so the family link between William's generation is distant. Very few of us have a close relationship with our grandmother's cousin's grandchildren. Many people wouldn't even know of their existence.

:previous: Right, exactly! To be honest, I think the Queen has been mostly close to Princess Alexandra, courteous and friendly to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. I do not believe the Queen was ever very close to Prince Michael of Kent since he was so much younger. And indeed, Prince Michael's choice of bride was problematic. And personally, Princess Michael seems to have never been especially well-liked among senior royals.

Reportedly, none of the senior royals are invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding. Neither did they attend her brother's wedding. And they were not invited to either of the Wales brothers' royal weddings. Although, out of courtesy, their parents, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were invited to the weddings of the Wales brothers. Pippa Middleton is invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding on May 18th, since the bridegroom is a former boyfriend of Pippa's. Lady Gabriella and her fiance were invited to attend Princess Eugenie's recent wedding, and I suppose Freddie and his wife were there too since their daughter was in the bridal party.

However, it's not unusual for parents' and/or grandparents' cousins to be known to their offspring, particularly if they all live in the same town and get together for family reunions. Living in the same town though is generally a rare occurrence for most large extended families in this day and age. The royals are a bit different though than most families. While I wouldn't expect extended cousins who are not first cousins to be particularly close, in the royal family, they do all know each other fairly well. And the British royal extended families do mostly all join the Queen for annual Christmas lunch in December.

Last edited:
:previous: Right, exactly! To be honest, I think the Queen has been mostly close to Princess Alexandra, courteous and friendly to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. I do not believe the Queen was ever very close to Prince Michael of Kent since he was so much younger. And indeed, Prince Michael's choice of bride was problematic. And personally, Princess Michael seems to have never been especially well-liked among senior royals.

Reportedly, none of the senior royals are invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding. Neither did they attend her brother's wedding. And they were not invited to either of the Wales brothers' royal weddings. Although, out of courtesy, their parents, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were invited to the weddings of the Wales brothers. Pippa Middleton is invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding on May 18th, since the bridegroom is a former boyfriend of Pippa's. Lady Gabriella and her fiance were invited to attend Princess Eugenie's recent wedding, and I suppose Freddie and his wife were there too since their daughter was in the bridal party.

However, it's not unusual for parents' and/or grandparents' cousins to be known to their offspring, particularly if they all live in the same town and get together for family reunions. Living in the same town though is generally a rare occurrence for most large extended families in this day and age.

Gabriella, Freddie and his wife were at the Cambridge wedding. They even attended the pre-wedding dinner on April 28th. That's why being excluded from the Sussex wedding was so intriguing to royal watchers.

:previous: Ah okay. Well, Freddie and his wife have a daughter around Prince George's age, and they attend the same school. Plus, the Cambridges were married at a larger venue. The Sussexes preferred a smaller wedding.

Maybe there were some bad feelings over Lady Gabriella's old boyfriend telling tales in the media about his time at KP when they were dating. The stories came out around the time of H&M's engagement. More likely, Harry is not as friendly with the Kent cousins as perhaps William might be.

Princess Eugenie will surely be attending Lady Gabriella's wedding. It remains to be seen which other royals will be invited.
https://honey.nine.com.au/2019/03/13/14/29/lady-gabriella-windsor-royal-wedding-2019

Last edited:

However, it's not unusual for parents' and/or grandparents' cousins to be known to their offspring, particularly if they all live in the same town and get together for family reunions. Living in the same town though is generally a rare occurrence for most large extended families in this day and age. The royals are a bit different though than most families. While I wouldn't expect extended cousins who are not first cousins to be particularly close, in the royal family, they do all know each other fairly well. And the British royal extended families do mostly all join the Queen for annual Christmas lunch in December.

It has been confirmed that HM and other members of the royal family are going. Most likely Eugenie and Jack.

It has been confirmed that HM and other members of the royal family are going. Most likely Eugenie and Jack.

Do we know which members of BRF were present for Freddie's wedding? Wonder if the list will be similar?

None of the seniors went. I believe Eugenie went.

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted or edited because they were off-topic - or responses to off-topic posts. What a wedding tiara, Meghan's supposed comments on food or journalists have to do with the relationship between members of the Royal Family is anyone's guess, but please do check the topic of the thread before posting or responding to posts. Thank you.

Here's an interesting look back at a conversation Prince William and Prince Harry had on the Today show in 2007 when they were 24 and 22 respectively. It sheds a great deal of light on their relationship, and even presages the young men they have turned out to be today, in terms of their connection with each other, and feelings about their positions within the royal family. Being 'normal' is apparently their keyword:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom