Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Say, did you hear about the bad blood between Princess Charlotte and Mia Tindall? Tears were shed, and there were harsh words over disputed ownership of a broken toy. No? Neither did I.

:previous:
Pranter:
Agree with you 100% and we all should know by now that the media is out for one thing only....MONEY and all this drama creates money in their pockets. The more drama, lies and gossip the more money for them and stress for everyone else. We will never if ever see the family behind closed doors doing their own thing as none of our lives is open to the public, so why should theirs be open for all to see. This is much ado about nothing it seems to me...

Last edited:
:previous:
Pranter:
Agree with you 100% and we all should know by now that the media is out for one thing only....MONEY and all this drama creates money in their pockets. The more drama, lies and gossip the more money for them and stress for everyone else. We will never if ever see the family behind closed doors doing their own thing as none of our lives is open to the public, so why should theirs be open for all to see. This is much ado about nothing it seems to me...

We are in total agreement.

LaRae

:previous: Honestly, the only person I can tolerate crying in that situation would be Meghan. Anyone else would get a side eye for it.

I don't see why anyone should get the side-eye for crying. Its a natural emotion and we have no way of knowing what others were going through.

There are some (people, press, etc.) who like to create issues when there are none. Remember Diana vs. Anne, Catherine vs. Beatrice & Eugenie, etc. I am sure there are those who have been around before and can say at one point there might have been a Margaret vs someone (Brigitte, Katherine, Princess Michael of Kent).

I am not saying that everyone is besties but it is NOT necessary to say that one hates the other one. Let's face it, it doesn't' matter who Harry married...at some point there was going to be a Catherine vs Meghan/Cressida/Chelsy etc.

Drama = Click Bait.

Yep.

There was also Sophie vs Diana - there were actually articles that claimed that Sophie was copying Diana. Then there was Fergie vs Diana and Camilla vs Kate. Also let's not forget that when William/Kate and Harry/Chelsy were dating, we got all kinds of speculation about how Chelsy and Kate hated each other. So this is not about "attacking" Meghan, this is just how the media operates. There will always be stories about the relationships between members of the royal family. Heck we have an entire thread dedicated to it.

There are some (people, press, etc.) who like to create issues when there are none. Remember Diana vs. Anne, Catherine vs. Beatrice & Eugenie, etc. I am sure there are those who have been around before and can say at one point there might have been a Margaret vs someone (Brigitte, Katherine, Princess Michael of Kent).

I am not saying that everyone is besties but it is NOT necessary to say that one hates the other one. Let's face it, it doesn't' matter who Harry married...at some point there was going to be a Catherine vs Meghan/Cressida/Chelsy etc.

Drama = Click Bait.

It was Margaret vs. Princess Michael (and, according to the rumor mill, Princess Michael vs. Diana and Margaret vs. Diana). According to a book I read Princess Michael thought that Margaret nearly killed one of her cats in a campaign to annihilate the KP squirrels.

I think its important to not do what Tominey clearly wants which is to conflate things. Here is the quote:

But the talk of a growing froideur between Kate and Meghan really ramped up following rumours of an apparent falling out between the pair in the run up to the Sussexes’ wedding in May.

The Telegraph has spoken to two separate sources who claim Kate was left in tears following a bridesmaids dress fitting for Princess Charlotte.

“Kate had only just given birth to Prince Louis and was feeling quite emotional,” said one insider.

Two things: the quote insinuates but doesn't actually say that Meghan made Kate cry. 2) It isn't even clear Meghan was at the fitting from the quote. Meghan wouldn't have needed to be a dress fitting for her future niece in law per se.

But let's say Meghan was there. Who is to say something she did made Kate cry? Maybe Charlotte was throwing a strop or maybe Kate was just sleep deprived? My sister would randomly break down in tears after the birth of my nephew (also her third kid) last year because she was so tired and ANY little thing could set her off. I do mean anything. Plus, weddings can bring out the worst in people. My best friend got married two summers ago. She is the kindest person but we got into because she was being unreasonable after a bit. Everyone calmed down, moved on and laughed about it! No big deal.

But that isn't the point of this "story." Papers know that readers rarely do close reads so all you have to do is put two things in close proximity and voila! Meghan made Kate cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep the discussion on relationships between members of the BRF, and not stray into discussing whether Meghan is demanding, rude to staff, opinionated, etc. If you want to discuss that DM article, you can do so in M&H's general news thread.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that the tab media is in overboard negativity mode as they try to stir something up re the royal ladies, and none of this is new. During Meghan/Harry courtship, there were laughable made-up stories about Camilla trying to break up M&H. Far from likely, and I doubt that Camilla was against Kate either, as has also been gossiped in the past. Tripe and clickbait. It's annoying too because it will only make the royals even less willing to share their lives with true fans.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I never believed that Harry and William were all that close and this was long before Meghan was a blip on their radar. Harry played the third wheel because it was required. He had little choice so he smiled and went along with it. Now he no longer has to and seems to very happy about it. Who can blame him? He has his own family now. He can attend things with his own wife instead of tagging along with the Cambridges.

That is not to say there is this over the top drama the press are trying to play up. These are grown people with their own lives. It is only natural. They will come together for work and family events like most people do. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have to be more than that.

I disagree with your highlighted comment in response to Heather's and miss whirley's beliefs that the brothers aren't close. I believe, and it's also been stated by those who have witnessed their interactions over the years that William and Harry are close. Their mother's death only made the bond between them deeper. Being close as brothers does not mean there isn't any sibling rivalry because there is that as well, but it's friendly sibling rivalry. In fact, it's known that they enjoy teasing each other and have been known to do it quite often. One royal reporter said that Harry had fun teasing William for losing his hair, but then Harry had to tone it down when his own hair began thinning. :lol:

Watch the below video and see how close they are and how they've enjoyed teasing each other over the years. I think it was not easy for Harry growing up as a youngster to see William favored as being in line for the throne. But their parents helped ease those tensions by treating both boys as individuals with their own special worth, not tied to their status as royals.

Quite obviously things are changing in an organic and not unexpected way as both young men have matured and are raising their own families. Plus, they've always had different personalities. As the fab four indicated at the Royal Foundation forum in February, they do indeed have disagreements. But as Harry laughingly emphasized, "We work things out... we're stuck with each other for life." Each couple will have their equal share of royal-related work, and it will be William & Kate who will take on the enormous task one day of becoming King and Queen Consort.

In the interim, there's a lot of interest in Meghan and Harry right now, and their personalities are much more outgoing, while William and Kate are more low-key and understated. Simply because a huge spotlight is being placed on Harry & Meghan and they received huge popular coverage on their recent tour, it shouldn't be a cause of tension between the couples. If in fact there are such tensions, M&H are simply being themselves, and should not be blamed for receiving popular coverage in the media.

There are certainly efforts being made by some journalists, in the aftermath of the positive tour coverage, to suddenly portray Meghan and Harry in a negative light. Whatever is actually going on behind the scenes, I don't think it's overly contentious. In fact, there may be nothing of a serious divisive nature happening at all. Regarding all the media brouhaha, this too shall pass.

Last edited:
. . . . . We will never know the extent of any of the British royals true relationship with each other one on one and that's the way it should be. When we do see them out and about, we need to remember that they have their "game" faces on.

:previous: Exactly!

Who would have thought that Charles was close to Zara or any of his other nieces and/or nephew. But than you saw the picture of Charles hugging Zara at the races. The BRF is simply different in how they express their emotions and how they interact with each other in public.
When Zara was young and single she used to go out of her way to be daring and to wind Charles up for fun. I remember a photo of her poking her pierced tongue out at him. It was both fun and funny but her very best was to fly up to him when he was seated in the Royal Box at Ascot. She landed against him with such affection with an arm around his neck and he nearly fell off trying to dodge her hat.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Zara+Phillips+Royal+Ascot+2008+Day+1+B57G_5Bb60Nl.jpg
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Zara+Phillips+Royal+Ascot+2008+Day+1+4aYfwv9YpQSl.jpg
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Zara+Phillips+Royal+Ascot+2008+Day+1+yfDBmS3c4f7l.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Charles+Duke+Cambridge+Prince+Harry+Clvrvf_Wd0Wl.jpg

He hardly knows her of course. ?

MaiaMia_53 I have seen all the videos. Followed them plenty. My opinion hasn't changed.

The UK media has made Meghan their target. It has been that way since she arrived and will be this way for years to come. It is what is it. I don't think Meghan and Kate hate each other. I think they are plenty civil and do their jobs. They were never going to be BFFs and it was unrealistic to expect it. This need to be one extreme or the other is exhausting.

Please note that several off-topic posts have been removed. Let's stay on the topic of the thread. Thank you.

Where did I miss the explanation for anyone’s belief that “Harry and William aren’t all that close”? Was there a learned and frank explanation by someone who actually knows and is close to the brothers? Or is this belief just based on a hunch or a feeling by someone who only knows them through newspapers and forums?

Or is it just projection of someone’s feelings about their own siblings? Please, if I’ve missed information that forms the basis of the “not close” theory, could I be informed? Thanks.

IMO Prince William and Prince Harry are very close, as close as brothers can be.
I don't know any other royal siblings closer than them, IMO. We've watched them grow in the fishbowl and we've seen how close they've always been. As adults, them having separate households is a natural progression. You grow up, get married and move out; that's healthy.

Last edited:
Where did I miss the explanation for anyone’s belief that “Harry and William aren’t all that close”? Was there a learned and frank explanation by someone who actually knows and is close to the brothers? Or is this belief just based on a hunch or a feeling by someone who only knows them through newspapers and forums?

Or is it just projection of someone’s feelings about their own siblings? Please, if I’ve missed information that forms the basis of the “not close” theory, could I be informed? Thanks.

On this site there is a 19 page thread called "Harry and William's relationship". If you're looking for a more in-depth discussion of people's views on the matter over the years, you might find that thread helpful. :flowers:

Beatrice and Eugenie are probably as close as William and Harry having had many similar experiences in a very public breakdown of their parents' marriage. They even shared the apartment at St James'.

I suspect that Peter and Zara are also as close - especially as they both live on the Gatcombe estate (yes in separate houses but still on the same property).

What I posted about summed it up. Also mention that Eugenie was upset the Sussexes didn't attend her big party after the wedding. Said Charles and Harry have grown closer. Meghan is a demanding boss who doesn't understand what works in Hollywood doesn't work at Buckingham Palace. It basically hit every rumor that has been swirling.

I wonder why Eugenie would be upset the Sussexes didn't attend her big party - Wasn't it rumoured that the Sussexes announced their baby news at her wedding, if that were the case, shouldn't she be happy they were not present at her big party?

On this site there is a 19 page thread called "Harry and William's relationship". If you're looking for a more in-depth discussion of people's views on the matter over the years, you might find that thread helpful. :flowers:

Thanks, I’ve read most of that thread thru the years, but I’ve never seen anything resembling the actual facts (if there are any), just the opinions of people who don’t know the brothers.

Thanks, I’ve read most of that thread thru the years, but I’ve never seen anything resembling the actual facts (if there are any), just the opinions of people who don’t know the brothers.

Well, Prince Edward's production company ran a doc that said William and Harry "don't get on". I believe Prince Edward knows his nephews, but others may see him as unreliable.

I wonder why Eugenie would be upset the Sussexes didn't attend her big party - Wasn't it rumoured that the Sussexes announced their baby news at her wedding, if that were the case, shouldn't she be happy they were not present at her big party?

I believe that Harry and Meghan were congratulated on the pregnancy at the reception after the wedding rather than they shouted out the news. Most of the family attending the reception already knew of the pregnancy but hadn't seen Harry and Meghan in person before the wedding. That's how I interpreted it anyways.

I seriously doubt that Eugenie and Jack were upset that the Sussexes didn't make the party the day after the wedding. They could have been, for lack of a better word, sorry that they couldn't make it but I would imagine that they very much understood the reasons why they weren't there.

:previous: Or maybe Eugenie was upset that the Sussexes didn't attend the day after party. People (brides) can get very odd and intense around things having to do with their wedding. I can think of a few brides I've known who did kind of lose their senses of proportion with their weddings. And so what if she did? At this point I doubt very much if it caused a permanent rift, and life goes on. I'm having a hard time seeing this as a big deal in the larger scheme of things.

Well, Prince Edward's production company ran a doc that said William and Harry "don't get on". I believe Prince Edward knows his nephews, but others may see him as unreliable.

But that documentary was from years ago, and I don't think the status of a sibling relationship is frozen in time when the siblings are still in their teens and early 20's. I'd give this much more weight if it were recent, but as it is, I don't think it's applicable to William and Harry's adult relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that documentary was from years ago, and I don't think the status of a sibling relationship is frozen in time when the siblings are still in their teens and early 20's. I'd give this much more weight if it were recent, but as it is, I don't think it's applicable to William and Harry's adult relationship.

I somewhat agree. But that poster said "but I’ve never seen anything", so I thought it relevant. I will add that people use incidents from the '80s and '90s to analyze and judge the relationship between other royals, yet these same people usually view something from the '00s as being 'outdated' when it concerns W&H. I find that odd and a little convenient. I also believe it relevant in regards to recent stories that their wives are driving a wedge between the brothers, when from this we can infer that W&H go through occasional rocky patches that predate their wives, so blaming the wives for any fraternal drama is quite ludicrous, imo.

Here’s the thing. I think the brothers are close. The dynamic of the relationship have obviously changed as William got married and had kids and now Harry’s married and is having a kid. It’ll change again in the future. It’s growing up. I don’t think they are not close because of it. It’s just different. And that’s ok. It’s natural for any relationship. Things change as your situation change. Obviously it’s not the same as when they shared a roof while living with Charles. But I have no doubt that the brothers are there for each other.

Just like I’m sure Eugenie and Beatrice’s relationship aren’t the same as when they shared an apartment together. It’s not that they aren’t close anymore. But their lives are just now different. They still love each other.

None of us know any of them. People who do know them don’t talk about them, so we have no facts to work with, just feelings, and ideas.

True, we don't know but I have seen nothing publically to indicate a concerning rift.

It is not unhealthy to lead ones own life. Most of us get along with our brothers without living next door.
The silly part of some reported stories is that a falling out is a reason for Harry living in Windsor.
He needs no reason to live in Windsor other than that is where they prefer to live.
The media makes more money with alarming headlines.

I just read that something made Kate cry at the Charlotte bridesmaid dress fitting. And I have read all the stuff before this about the brothers.

I want to go on record as saying (if she did) I am glad Kate cried. It is normal to cry under stress. It is a perfectly normal reaction to some situations. It does not men the situation was the end of the world, or that you hate people or that people hate you. It's. Just. Life. Honestly, I worry more about people who never cry than people who do. Let that stuff out. Then move on. Which by all accounts of Kate's character, she is capable of doing.

And as to the brothers... Siblings, like most relationships are a work in progress. It takes work. And there are times when you grow up and your private life takes first place. And then something happens and you need a sibling. And they are there for you. Live, on the phone, in texts, on video chat, it all works because you are siblings. 20 miles is nothing!

By all accounts, these two know how to chide one another out of false pride . And they know how to support one another privately. What more would anyone want of a sibling?

I think all this consternation on the part of the Press and fans is just silly! JMO.

But that documentary was made 17 years ago when William started college.
And caused Edward to leave his production company (which had made some good documentaries) because

"the film contains a series of rumours, half-truths and speculation.

The collection of so-called royal experts providing the information includes a disgraced tabloid journalist sacked after being implicated in a gun-running scandal."

"Many of the allegations about William come from Nicholas Davies, a one-time companion of the late fraudster Robert Maxwell, who was sacked from his post as foreign editor of the Daily Mirror after lying about his involvement in a gunrunning plot.

Virtually unknown in this country, Davies has published a series of scandalous revelations about the royals abroad to avoid the risk of a libel writ here."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-133848/Edward-misled-Charles-royal-documentary.html

The whole documentary is unreliable so I sure wouldn't place much reliance on it saying the brothers don't get along. Besides, I'm sure there were times they didn't get along, got angry with each other and argued. Most siblings do sometimes, that doesn't mean they don't normally get along and don't love each other.

Last edited:
Nothing in the above post regarding Nicholas Davies is valid enough to discredit him or whatever stories he has about the Royals. Just seems like using somebody's imperfect past to discredit them. I don't know if WnH are bff's, they seem close to me, but Harry is developing his own family now so things are going to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom