Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how The Princess Margaret would receive Meghan?

Margaret was a no-nonsense princess, she would have had a small rift in my opinion.

She had rifts with her nieces-in-law, Diana and Sarah, and probably her ex-nephew-in-law, Mark.

Princess Margaret only cut ties with her nieces in law once they embarrassed the Queen publicly, which for Margaret was a red line. I know that the inevitable response is “She was a hypocrite” but rightly or wrongly, Margaret was very welcoming to outsiders for as long as they played the game. I don’t think she would have any problem with Meghan. She always preferred the company of creative types. Though of course we can never really be certain.

I’ve never come across any issue that she had with Mark Phillips however. That’s a new one to me.

Margaret was a no-nonsense princess, she would have had a small rift in my opinion.

She had rifts with her nieces-in-law, Diana and Sarah, and probably her ex-nephew-in-law, Mark.

She probably would have received Meghan into the family the same way the other members are doing. Kindly, courteously and very happy for Harry.
Margaret didn't have any rifts with Diana and Sarah until she had reasons for having one.

These people were brought up with manners.

She probably would have received Meghan into the family the same way the other members are doing. Kindly, courteously and very happy for Harry.
Margaret didn't have any rifts with Diana and Sarah until she had reasons for having one.

These people were brought up with manners.

Margaret also moved in show-biz circles and herself married (and divorced) a photographer who kept his day job, so I don't think Meghan's circumstances would be an impediment to a pleasant relationship.

I certianly woudnt say she was "no nonsense". I think she was "full of airs and graces" and nonsensical fuss about her status.
She had a rift with Diana over Dis public quarrels with the RF and the queen, to whom she was always loyal. I don't know of any rift with Sarah because I don't believe she was ever friendly with Sarah.. NEVER heard of her having any rift with Mark Philips. Why would she? I don't think she was close to him or Anne..
Where do you get this information please?

If a Princess can’t be full of airs and graces, who can? [emoji23]

Anyone who wnts to can, but it doesn't make them admirable.

This whole thread is just hineininterpretieren as the Germans say. How would the sister of Harry's granny react to Ms Markle? Come on....

Last edited:
Quite true but there was plenty to admire about Princess Margaret - even if it was only as a great Bohemian who lived a remarkable life. Certainly other members of the Royal Family seem to do so. Prince Charles pretty much alluded to that in his tribute.

It’s interesting because in looking at how the relationships between Royal Family members over the decades, Margaret sort of disappears for a while to become a jet setter but when she comes back, the Queen seems almost relieved. The photographs of the two sisters with their mother when they were much older shows this perfect little trio but with very little in common other than blood. The Queen has certainly changed a lot since their deaths.

Thus while thread is just hineininterpretieren as the Germans say. How would the sister of Harry's granny react to Ms Markle? Come on....

But there is endless speculation of ths kind about all sorts of royals. Would George VI have liked X, would the RF be different if he had lived to old age. Would Harry's mother like Meghan or Kate? Will Meg's dog like the..? WIll Meghan wear white..
IMO this is goingto go on till the wedding,

Quite true but there was plenty to admire about Princess Margaret - even if it was only as a great Bohemian who lived a remarkable life. Certainly other members of the Royal Family seem to do so. Prince Charles pretty much alluded to that in his tribute.

Is.
Bohemian? Great??

Without a doubt. She belonged to a pantheon of society names who turned London into a playground and lived a kind of throwback existence to the days of Edwardian excess but coupled with the new and strange morality of the 1960s. It must have been a fascinating time to be alive and Margaret was very much at the forefront of all that. It was before the Sloanes made everything dull and boring, way before the sterile culture of today where everything is measured and pale. She was a true Princess in so many ways, a kind of Marie Antoinette. It’s testament to how much they loved each other that the Queen (who is the antithesis of all that) would never let anybody speak badly of Margaret. Guilt perhaps? A little jealousy? But I certainly believe the story that the Queen would call her sister at least once a week and say “No harm done”. It was almost as if the Queen saw it as compensation for what Margaret had been made to suffer. And certainly other members of the Royal Family seemed to delight in her company. If nothing else, it’s quite an achievement to be all that she was said to be and yet still be so loved.

Excellent post Gaudete. If anything, the family that was known as "us four" remained a close and filled with unconditional love no matter what any of the four got up to. There may have been times when the Queen or the Queen Mum didn't particularily care for what Margaret got up to but underlying everything was a deep and abiding love. That made a world of difference.

Thinking back on this "us four" happy family, its made me kind of realize just how blatantly obvious it must have been for the Queen ascending the throne at such a young age with young children. One of the big sacrifices that she must have known that she had to make was with her role as Queen and with it, the responsibilities, she would have instinctively known that the price would be that she would not ever have the "us six" close type of a family that she grew up with.

But there is endless speculation of ths kind about all sorts of royals. Would George VI have liked X, would the RF be different if he had lived to old age. Would Harry's mother like Meghan or Kate? Will Meg's dog like the..? WIll Meghan wear white..
IMO this is goingto go on till the wedding,

And I don't see how anyone would ever know for sure. The times they lived in were different and therefore they haven't had the experiences of the past 20 or 60 years to affect their thoughts and attitudes.

I certianly woudnt say she was "no nonsense". I think she was "full of airs and graces" and nonsensical fuss about her status.
She had a rift with Diana over Dis public quarrels with the RF and the queen, to whom she was always loyal. I don't know of any rift with Sarah because I don't believe she was ever friendly with Sarah.. NEVER heard of her having any rift with Mark Philips. Why would she? I don't think she was close to him or Anne..
Where do you get this information please?

She was close to Anne, Anne looks a bit like her aunt Margaret.

She was next in the pecking order of precedence with Mark at weddings and events in the 1970s and 1980s.

I think the closest and intimate familial relationship that continued though was Margaret's son, David's relationship with the Queen Mum. Now that I think about it, it must have been really a double loss for David losing both his mother and his beloved grandmother in a span of less than two months.

And I don't see how anyone would ever know for sure. The times they lived in were different and therefore they haven't had the experiences of the past 20 or 60 years to affect their thoughts and attitudes.

I'm not one of the people who tends to raise these sorts of questions. I find them hard to understand, as the answer generally is " we can't say"....

She was close to Anne, Anne looks a bit like her aunt Margaret.

She was next in the pecking order of precedence with Mark at weddings and events in the 1970s and 1980s.

Anne looks nothing like Margaret. Margaret was pretty, Anne well not so much. I can't see the slightest resemblance phsycially or mentally... and I've never heard that Anne and Margaret were close. Anne is totally into "horsey" country life, Margaret was one of the few royals who didn't like that at all. I don't know what you mean about Mark,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not one of the people who tends to raise these sorts of questions. I find them hard to understand, as the answer generally is " we can't say"....

I'm a huge fan of alternate histories but when it comes to the relationships between members of the BRF, we don't even really know the factual details of any of their personal and private relationships let alone try and come up with alternate "what if" relationships. As the general public, we only see these people with their "game faces" on when they're working and appearing in public.

Is there a thread for the relationship between Kate and Meghan?

Simple:

They will either get along or they won't.

One week the media will report them as 'best friends' and the next they will be at each other's throats.

It is no different to the stories we get with their relationship with Camilla - which is allegedly 'dripping with Camilla's poison' if you believe some media outlets while others report that she gets on ok with Kate while others say Kate and William, along with Harry refuse to have anything to do with her.

The reality is that we don't know anything at all about how any members of the BRF get along with any others.

We know they can all put on a good show when in public for the very short periods of time that they are on public view with other royals so can't judge from that and the press reports are unreliable.

They won't come out personally and say 'I love xxxx but loathe yyyy' so we are left to speculate based on media reports and some people's belief that they can judge a relationship based on seeing them together for a few minutes a few times a year.

:previous: Exactly :flowers:

The DF and other papers do anything to sell/get clicks. And they will always play up any drama, even made up drama. Of course Camilla is easy target, 'the boys are going to hate the woman that made mum miserable'. Now Kate, and Camilla being jealous. I am sure we will see the same with Meghan. or possibly the who is 'Camilla's favorite daughter in law', and who is getting the most attention from Charles because of her. Charles will be snubbing one set of grandchildren, because Camilla favors the other kids.....

Meghan and Kate may become close, they may not. They will certainly try to get along for the sake of their husbands and the kids. If they become friends, all the better. Not all sister in laws become close, that's reality of family dynamics.

We will never know. This family has a way of showing an united front on things and that will continue.

But expecting a Diana vs Fergie 2.0 :ermm: media wise.

How close is The Queen and Sophie?

Apparently very close. She is said to be her favourite daughter-in-law out of the 4 she's had do far.

Sophie always speaks about the Queen with great admiration.

Apparently very close. She is said to be her favourite daughter-in-law out of the 4 she's had do far.

Thats sweet to hear. So do they speak to each other once a week?

Thats sweet to hear. So do they speak to each other once a week?

I seem to recall Sophie saying once in an interview that when the Queen spends weekends at Windsor she always goes there for tea and takes her children with her.

From something I read here on TRF my understanding is the Queen was very solicitous of Sophie in the early years of her marriage when Sophie was having harrowing medical events happen around pregnancies. :sad: For example, having Sophie ride with her (the Queen) at events so Sophie didn't have to walk or stress herself, etc. At that time they became close. (The fact that Edward and Sophie are the royal couple that always go abroad to attend continental royal events suggests that they are able to socialize effortlessly and agreeably).

It helps that Edward and Sophie live very close to Windsor. I have always had the sense that Edward and Sophie are the family that show up at Windsor to visit the Queen on a Sunday afternoon on a regular basis. :flowers: Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dare I dip into a comparison? ;) In many ways Sophie and Meghan share a similar background: both are coming from careers that require personability and an ability to not only get along with most anyone but be able to put people at their ease. I would think that alone was refreshing for the Queen.

It's why I think if Meghan and Harry get a house near to the Queen (and Charles), like in the Cotswolds, it is more likely that there will be a steady interaction between Harry's family and the Queen and Charles, as well as Edward and Sophie, and Anne's family, who all live in that area.

But everyone always speaks highly of the Queen. :cool: It appears to be a given. To do otherwise would be unthinkable methinks. That's not to say Sophie does not have genuine admiration for the Queen. Especially given that they appear to be friends as well as in-laws.

BTW I have also read here on TRF that the Queen has been especially solicitous to Sophie's widowed father. Once his wife passed, the Queen made every effort to include the father at royal events, in carriage rides with her (the Queen), etc. That speaks to a close family relationship amongst that particular family grouping, I would say. Looks it to me. :flowers:

LATER: Ah, this post....:flowers:

I seem to recall Sophie saying once in an interview that when the Queen spends weekends at Windsor she always goes there for tea and takes her children with her.

Yes, this speaks to that kind of regular, every-day relationship. I'm not aware of any other family (outside of perhaps Anne's) that socialize with the Queen the way Edward and Sophie do. (Not even William and Kate).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom