Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The relationship between Harry and Catherine have always been close since William and Catherine started dating. They have formed a good little brother and big sister type of a relationship. It’s all due to the many years they’ve known each other.

Harry was very excited to officially welcome Catherine into the family.

that does not seem to gibe with his sayng that he was looking forward to getting to know her, when W and Kate got engaged. and they are only about 2 years apart, Harldy "big sister and little brother".

I may be in the minority, but I don't feel Kate and Harry are all that close.

On what are you basing your feelings? It amazes me that a lot of people who have never spoken with any of them think that they are not a close family. Harry and Kate always look happy when together, as do William and Harry.

They are worldly, educated people who have no reason to dislike one another, or to not get along. It is hugely in their own interest to have warm relationships with one another.

They are not celebrities who can walk out on their spouses or family members. They are in this relationship for a lifetime.

That’s how most families roll; mine certainly does, because it’s in their best interest.

Other families may not be able to behave in this fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

The way they behave toward each other indicates they have a good relationship...quite chummy.

LaRae

that does not seem to gibe with his sayng that he was looking forward to getting to know her, when W and Kate got engaged. and they are only about 2 years apart, Harldy "big sister and little brother".

See my previous possible explanation of deflecting the question. Yes, it was an odd response but most likely he considered it something private and therefore not relevant thus his deflecting the question.

I do think Catherine might have some kind of sister role, especially since he never had one. Harry also seemed a little slower to grow up (due to his issues with not processing his grief well) so there might have been some dynamic with a bigger brother/sister role for William and Catherine in the past. Nowadays I don't think that is the case any longer: they are more or less equals in terms of sibling relationship.

Had they not had a good relationship among the three of them, they never would have had their foundation as it currently is...

well it seems as if you're saying that they are friendly because it is in their interests to be friendly..? Of course they are going to look friendly and hapy in public. They are hardly going to look bored or sullen.. even if they aren't that close.

We also have to remember that what we know and what we base our opinions on these people comes to us, for the most part, from the media. We do not and will not ever see these people in their private, interpersonal relations to each other. That line in the sand has been drawn a long time ago. ;)

Reactions: hel
I generally go by what they say in interviews and their body language in stills and video. You can get somewhat of an idea about things with that.

LaRae

I agree. Harry grew up in public, he knows how to hide his feelings and Kate certainly wouldn't let on that they are not close.

And yes, most people do have to get on with their in-laws, but that does not make them close, just cordial. From my experience, I know very few people who are buddy buddy with their in-laws.

And I think video or photographs taken over many years time says more about a relationship than a polite answer to a reporter's question.

We have photographs in private? No.

I am talking private vs public.

We know they do many engagements together. We know they seem to get along in public. Which is very important for them to be able to.

What we don't know is private. We have no idea if Harry spent any real private time with Kate before the couple married. He was the one who made the comment. Nor do we know how much private time they spend now. How people relate in private, how close they are, is two different things.

How would Harry know how Kate is doing with morning sickness if he hasn't spoken to them in a few weeks? And by that I mean in Private. Even if by phone. Does anyone seriousl think he is going to ask her at a public engagement? Seriously????

Spending time with your sibling and his spouse at a public engagement or group event, is not the same as spending time with them. Not at the personal level.

I am not saying Harry and Kate aren't close. But it does seem that closeness grew after the wedding. And they don't see each other on a regular basis. Which considering how much travel Harry has done over the last months, and until recently Kate and William were more often then not in Norfolk when not on an engagement, isn't that hard to believe.

If and when he marries, the time will slowly become less. When you grow up, you have your own family and lives, your time you devote to siblings and such becomes less. Doesn't mean you don't care, or you aren't friendly with your sister in law. Just reality of adult lives.

Last edited:
We have photographs in private? No.

I am talking private vs public.

We know they do many engagements together. We know they seem to get along in public. Which is very important for them to be able to.

What we don't know is private. We have no idea if Harry spent any real private time with Kate before the couple married. He was the one who made the comment. Nor do we know how much private time they spend now. How people relate in private, how close they are, is two different things.

How would Harry know how Kate is doing with morning sickness if he hasn't spoken to them in a few weeks? And by that I mean in Private. Even if by phone. Does anyone seriousl think he is going to ask her at a public engagement? Seriously????

Spending time with your sibling and his spouse at a public engagement or group event, is not the same as spending time with them. Not at the personal level.

I am not saying Harry and Kate aren't close. But it does seem that closeness grew after the wedding. And they don't see each other on a regular basis. Which considering how much travel Harry has done over the last months, and until recently Kate and William were more often then not in Norfolk when not on an engagement, isn't that hard to believe.

If and when he marries, the time will slowly become less. When you grow up, you have your own family and lives, your time you devote to siblings and such becomes less. Doesn't mean you don't care, or you aren't friendly with your sister in law. Just reality of adult lives.
This 'public engagement' was at their home! I am quite sure they spent some time together at the anniversary of their mother's death outside of the public eye. So yes, I do expect Harry to have the courtesy to ask how she is doing before they walk out of the door with the three of them... Moreover, Harry stated he had not seen her in a while which was obviously not true!

And while there is a difference between public and private, they themselves choose to do engagements together, if they didn't have a good/close relationship in private they wouldn't opt for that as it clearly isn't an expectation within the royal family. Charles for example did not set up a fund with his siblings nor does he regularly carry out engagements with them.

If Harry continues to live at KP, I don't see how they would see less of each other compared to when they lived much further apart. Nonetheless, I wouldn't equate distance and closeness as it is possible to be close and live far away from each other (and the other way around) but less distance makes things easier. So far the evidence seems to point to the three of them having a good relationship without Harry being inseparable from his older brother and his family. They clearly have their own lives as well. Seems like a healthy situation that many parents would wish for their children when they grow up...

Well, there was a time when Harry's interactions with Kate at public functions were so warm and friendly and supportive that it got people buzzing. Kate really 'lit up' when Harry was around. :flowers: It was very noticeable, and then, there was a noticeable cessation of joint events, and when they did start to have joint events again, no obvious interactions were in evidence anymore. I'd say, given the history, Harry and Kate not only know each other well (as sister-in-law and brother-in-law), but likely enjoy each other's company.

Posts containing comparisons between The Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan Markle have been deleted. Further posts on that unnecessary topic will be deleted - ignoring Mod notes is not acceptable.

I am pretty sure that Catherine is very relieved that Harry and Meghan are now engaged. Now partly the focus is not only on her but also on Meghan. That could also mean a little bit more freedom for Catherine. And this freedom she deserves.

I'm waiting for the inevitable showdown between Prince Andrew, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Princesses Anne and Alexandra, and Michael and Meghan regarding relationships. As a big royal family, they will have to relate and communicate with each other.

Anne is a no-nonsense princess, I wonder how she will feel about her new niece-in-law.

I'm waiting for the inevitable showdown between Prince Andrew, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Princesses Anne and Alexandra, and Michael and Meghan regarding relationships. As a big royal family, they will have to relate and communicate with each other.

Anne is a no-nonsense princess, I wonder how she will feel about her new niece-in-law.

Inevitable showdown? You think for some reason a good chunk of the family will not get along with her :ermm:

Harry is close to the York sisters and there is suggestion Meghan met them early on. I don't think Meghan will have much issue with those two.

Considering people like Alexandra and Princess Michael she will see at trooping and holidays not sure that is a major concern. And again not sure why we are expecting a showdown with them.

And why would Anne have issues with her???

Not sure how any of this has to do with her future royal duties. But I am wondering why you seem to think she wont mesh with almost any female royals.

Inevitable showdown? You think for some reason a good chunk of the family will not get along with her :ermm:

Harry is close to the York sisters and there is suggestion Meghan met them early on. I don't think Meghan will have much issue with those two.

Considering people like Alexandra and Princess Michael she will see at trooping and holidays not sure that is a major concern. And again not sure why we are expecting a showdown with them.

Not sure how any of this has to do with her future royal duties. But I am wondering why you seem to think she wont mesh with almost any female royals.

Relationships are crucial in families. Always. Meghan is the first celebrity royal in a long time. Diana was not brought into as a celebrity royal until mid-1980s.

Anne is a countrywoman. I wonder how she feels inside about her nephew and a celebrity. These are important theories and questions to look at. The British Royal Family may be one of the most well-known families in the world.

Alexandra and Andrew don't play either. I know the late Queen Mother and Princess Margaret would have questioned this at first. Meghan will be the first biracial princess-by marriage and these questions are crucial for the future especially in a 21st century world.

Princess Michael is a wordy woman.

"Inevitable showdown" seems to suggest that this will be a negative encounter.:ermm:

AFAIK any initial encounter could be considered an introduction.?

Relationships are crucial in families. Always. Meghan is the first celebrity royal in a long time. Diana was not brought into as a celebrity royal until mid-1980s.

Anne is a countrywoman. I wonder how she feels inside about her nephew and a celebrity. These are important theories and questions to look at. The British Royal Family may be one of the most well-known families in the world.

Alexandra and Andrew don't play either. I know the late Queen Mother and Princess Margaret would have questioned this at first. Meghan will be the first biracial princess-by marriage and these questions are crucial for the future especially in a 21st century world.
I’m not sure what last part is about? What does her being biracial have anything to do with any of this?

And really, I don’t think Anne disliked Diana because of her “celebrity”. There were other obvious problems there as the Wales’ marriage issues became something everyone around them had to deal with.

I’m not sure if Alexandra and Meghan would even have that much contact with each other. They both have their own roles, and that’s just that. As for Andrew, I think he has bigger problems to worry about than his nephew’s wife to be.

The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret can question whatever they want and it wouldn’t matter. Why? Because they aren’t here.

Andrew, Beatrice, and Eugenie have likely all met Meghan already; Harry is fairly close with them and in the recent past has holidayed with the York’s (and Sarah).

Anne will never publicly say anything against Meghan, it’s not her style. If Meghan proves to be a hard worker there’s no reason to think Anne won’t like her.

Princesses Alexandra and Michael are the Queens cousins and thus in no way close relations to Harry. Alexandra is a part time working royal and Michael has never worked for the BRF. Their opinions on Meghan really aren’t all that significant. They aren’t likely to have any relationship with her, nor is it likely that they have any relationship with Harry.

I think there is a major problem with perception and, with the fact of Harry marrying and an American at that has spawned dozens of YouTube videos with truly farcical information to prolifierate.

Having gotten hold of an "Order of Precedence" they have grasped it by the neck and choked the life out of it in the mistaken belief that it is "An insider's guide to who one-ups whom". Hearing on one of them how Beatrice and Eugenie under a given set of circumstances (missed what) will have to curtsey to Harry and his wife.

After I picked myself off the floor from laughing, I realised they got it all totally wrong and we all know that the day Harry bows to William will be the day he becomes King and not one second before and the day the girls bow to Harry will never see the light.

But take that bowing and curtseying and you could see a whole lot of people with their noses out of joint which of course they aren't because it's all a nonsense. But the Americans seem totally stuck on the bow/curtsey situation and see it as demeaning and humiliating. Starting the conversation from there and you see where all the imagined BRF gnashing of teeth is supposedly coming from.

One thing I can say with a modicum of confidence is that relationships within the British royal family and the "Firm" is not a competition. There will be no showdowns. There will be no displaying in the press how so and so cannot stand so and so and the daggers are out. Unless... its the Daily Fail and they're making things up again.

These people are normal people and like most families, there are members that are closer to each other than others. Princess Michael for example, may only have a passing "how do you do" connection with Harry and Meghan whereas George and Charlotte look forward to roughhousing with Harry while Auntie Meghan makes them a gooey dessert.

These are not people that gather in an office day in and day out and gossip about each other at the water cooler. ;)

Last edited:

Perhaps as a fellow human being Anne may just be happy that her nephew has found happiness as her own children Peter & Zara have found. Also, having just celebrated the happy 25th anniversary of her second marriage, Princess Anne may appreciate that you can be a senior member of the BRF and have a happy second marriage.

There’s a possibility that Princess Anne has already met Meghan. Prince Harry said during his engagement interview that Meghan had already met key members of both sides of his family.

I know the DM is not always the most accurate source, but according to them, Harry and Meghan really hit it off with Eugenie and Jack, and the two couples have spent quite a bit of time together.

Besides which, Princesses Alexandra and Michael probably see Harry about three or four times a year, if that, at the extended family get-togethers. There's no reason to suppose that situation is going to change with Harry's marriage, or that it would propel a 'showdown' with anyone.

Maybe we may expect another engagement announcement soon?:flowers:
Zara and Mike's engegement was announced just a few weeks after that of William and Kate's (and both weddings took place in just a few weeks' period)

As has been said she has already struck up a friendship with the York girls .

And why would Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut ,or Anne whose own daughter married a man who for all intent and purposes is a celebrity and whose son also married a foreigner be complaining

And Princess Micheal also has a daughter-in-law who had the same job a Meghan and carried on with it until she had her kids

Last edited:
And why would Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut ,or Anne whose own daughter married a man who for all intent and purposes is a celebrity and whose son also married a foreigner be complain

And let’s not forget, while Harry never watched Suits, Mike Tindall is a fan of the show prior to this as he has publicly said so. I highly doubt they have problems with it. Besides, I’d think Anne, as a no-nonsense person, would appreciate someone who is a self made woman.

And why would Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut
And Princess Micheal also has a daughter-in-law who had the same job a Meghan and carried on with it until she had her kids

Which Alexandra's granddaughter is an actress? Zenouska or Flora?
And Anne's herself didn't marry a prince.:flowers:
Why Sophie WInkleman cannot continue her career? :ermm: Her husband is so distant relative to the Queen that I was sure he leads a life like commoners.

Anne did not marry a prince, true, but she is a Princess of the blood thus she is a senior royal and still in the line of succession to the throne. And Lord Frederick is also in line to the throne regardless of how relatively ‘distant’ to the Queen he is. As has been stated already; actresses, foreigners, minor celebrities marrying into the BRF is not a new phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom