Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that stood out for me and was verifiable about Harry's relationship with his brother and his sister-in-law happened when W&K&H hosted the Obamas at their home at KP. It was so cute when little George pipes up "Why is Uncle Harry being so quiet?". Gave me the mental picture of Harry getting down and roughhousing and generally having a grand old time with his niece and nephew. One incident but one that shows a closeness. At least in my book. :D

As far as the closeness of these four people working in public roles in the future, I think the best place to start is actually the monarchy itself. As its been stated when Philip announced his retirement, the emphasis was put on "Team Windsor". Representing the monarchy and the Windsor family actually does cover more ground and gets more done if the team takes on individual events rather than grouping together for one event. Even the Royal Foundation gets more done and more areas covered if individuals go to three places than all three of them go to one. William was busy with things while Harry was in Toronto for the Invictus Games. Harry will go to Denmark this month while William and Kate do a Scandinavian tour (health permitting). Its covering more ground and getting things done.

Harry and William will always be close as brothers. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Closeness is never measured by the time spent together.

Team Windsor rallies to help the Queen as Prince Philip's friends say he's 'stepping down, not sitting down'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...-George-baffled-quiet-Harry-Obamas-visit.html

Last edited by a moderator:
they are big boys, I'd hardly say they "need" each other. But I'm surprised that apparently Harry intimated that he didn't know Kate well a few years ago.. when he was supposed to be so close ot William and WIll had been in a relationship with Kate for several years.

Last edited:
Harry was interviewed before William and Kate's wedding when he was in the Walking with the Wounded expedition to the North Pole. He says on that doco that he is delighted that the two are engaged but doesn't know Kate very well and is looking forward to getting to know her.
I remember him saying it as if it was yesterday. He was in a beanie and orange snow suit.

Last edited:
Harry was interviewed before William and Kate's wedding when he was in the Walk with the Wounded expedition to the South Pole. He says on that doco that he is delighted that the two are engaged but doesn't know Kate very well.

The expedition with Walking with the Wounded to the South Pole was in 2013. Two years after Will and Kate were married. :D

The trek to the North Pole was right before the royal wedding.

Harry was interviewed before William and Kate's wedding when he was in the Walk with the Wounded expedition to the South Pole. He says on that doco that he is delighted that the two are engaged but doesn't know Kate very well.
I remember him saying it as if it was yesterday. He was in a beanie and orange snow suit.

well if that's where the stotry came from (I read it on another forum) that's not "the meida" is it? It is direct from Harry.
And to those of you who followed W and Harry back years ago, why does this appear to be the case that he was sayng he didn't know his brothers' long term girlfriend that well? true they don't live literally together, and both woudl have been away for wrok at times, but it seems odd for Har to say that he didn't know Kate that well when she had been living with his brother for years, and he himself was mostly based in the UK and presumably spent time visiting his brother.

Last edited:
Your guess is as good as mine on that question,Denville. Mine is that for several years Harry had his own relationship with Chelsy Davy going, sometimes the brothers (and girlfriends) were literally on different continents (for instance when Harry was in Canada learning to fly Apache helicopters, or in Africa with Chelsy,) for several years William was at Uni in Scotland, sometimes in Wales with Kate, usually the brothers were doing different military training apart. Perhaps, as the years went on Harry and Kate didn't get much quality one on one time to get to know each other, that it was sometimes literally a 'Hello how are you? Bye' situation.

Last edited:
The press asked Freddiie Windsor if he was going to the wedding (he was in Hollywood waiting on his wife) and he said of course

When asked if they ever met before, he said on about 3 different occasions. which seems about right

The press asked Freddiie Windsor if he was going to the wedding (he was in Hollywood waiting on his wife) and he said of course

When asked if they ever met before, he said on about 3 different occasions. which seems about right

Lost..who are you speaking about...Kate or Meghan?

LaRae

This is normal for most weddings in a family and seems to apply with a big, ol' gathering of the tribe with a royal wedding. I remember being engaged and having two separate bridal showers. One for obligations (meaning relatives that needed to be included) and one for personal friends. Guess which one I enjoyed the most?

What is interesting is now Freddie Windsor's daughter Maud is in the same class at the the same school as William's George. Its even been suggested here (I can't remember where) that they'll be kindred souls because they *know* each other as family. Go figure.

Your guess is as good as mine on that question,Denville. Mine is that for several years Harry had his own relationship with Chelsy Davy going, sometimes the brothers (and girlfriends) were literally on different continents (for instance when Harry was in Canada learning to fly Apache helicopters, or in Africa with Chelsy,) for several years William was at Uni in Scotland, sometimes in Wales with Kate, usually the brothers were doing different military training apart. Perhaps, as the years went on Harry and Kate didn't get much quality one on one time to get to know each other, that it was sometimes literally a 'Hello how are you? Bye' situation.

I'm not saying that I'd expect Will and Harry to spend every weekend together having a saturday night fun night, but after all, the UK isn't a big place and they have enough money to travel easily.
If they did have regular meetings over the many years that Will and kate were living together, unless it was usually Harry saying "lets go for a boys night out" you'd think that he would have met Kate reasonably often as Will's partner. I was rather struck by it as the 2 brothers did seem close.

Harry and Catherine go back to when William and she first started dating. He knew her very well.

I'm not saying that I'd expect Will and Harry to spend every weekend together having a saturday night fun night, but after all, the UK isn't a big place and they have enough money to travel easily.
If they did have regular meetings over the many years that Will and kate were living together, unless it was usually Harry saying "lets go for a boys night out" you'd think that he would have met Kate reasonably often as Will's partner. I was rather struck by it as the 2 brothers did seem close.

Its also very possible he knew it was the media he was talking to and wasn't giving anything away. It was easier to say he didn't know her well rather than to "spill the beans" on her.
?

Last edited:
What's to give away? I've met Catherine many times and I like her?

It's pretty evident from the various functions over the past years that Kate and Harry know each other well and get along. Harry and William have always been close and while they don't live in each other pockets they obviously stay in touch. Why anyone wants to make it out that there is some problem and they aren't all close is beyond me. Be glad for them.

LaRae

Harry was interviewed before William and Kate's wedding when he was in the Walking with the Wounded expedition to the North Pole. He says on that doco that he is delighted that the two are engaged but doesn't know Kate very well and is looking forward to getting to know her.

I do remember the clip, and I remember Harry saying he was looking forward to getting to know her better. He also said he was looking forward to getting a sister.

I remember interpreting this to mean that he is looking forward to getting to know hr better as a member of the close family, progressing on from a social relationship.

It's pretty evident from the various functions over the past years that Kate and Harry know each other well and get along. Harry and William have always been close and while they don't live in each other pockets they obviously stay in touch. Why anyone wants to make it out that there is some problem and they aren't all close is beyond me. Be glad for them.

LaRae

Thank you for saying this! There is no reason to think that the brothers are not close, and every reason to think they are.

they are big boys, I'd hardly say they "need" each other. But I'm surprised that apparently Harry intimated that he didn't know Kate well a few years ago.. when he was supposed to be so close ot William and WIll had been in a relationship with Kate for several years.

Well for a comparison, while at an engagement on Sept 4, Harry was asked how Kate was doing. Bear in mind, he'd had an engagement with Kate on Aug 30. His answer was 'I haven't seen her in a while, but I think she's okay.'

Read more: Prince Harry says Kate's third pregnancy is 'fantastic' | Daily Mail Online

Also Harry and Kate were together at William's investiture into the Order of the Garter in 2008 (before W&K were engaged)and looked to be getting on well.

Being at an engagement together and private socialization are two completely different things. You aren't going to talk to your sister in law about her morning sickness at a public event, especially if pregnancy not public news. Perhaps he meant he hadn't spent any private time with her in some time.

Same goes for before they married. There is no evidence that they spent much time in private together. They met from time to time but how well did they get to know each other? It seems according to Harry before the wedding, not much.

Its not trying to create problems where there is none. Its not rumors, its from the horse's mouth. In this case Harry.

Being at an engagement together and private socialization are two completely different things. You aren't going to talk to your sister in law about her morning sickness at a public event, especially if pregnancy not public news. Perhaps he meant he hadn't spent any private time with her in some time.

Same goes for before they married. There is no evidence that they spent much time in private together. They met from time to time but how well did they get to know each other? It seems according to Harry before the wedding, not much.

Its not trying to create problems where there is none. Its not rumors, its from the horse's mouth. In this case Harry.
And I think video or photographs taken over many years time says more about a relationship than a polite answer to a reporter's question.

Well for a comparison, while at an engagement on Sept 4, Harry was asked how Kate was doing. Bear in mind, he'd had an engagement with Kate on Aug 30. His answer was 'I haven't seen her in a while, but I think she's okay

Countessmout's explanation that he might have meant 'we haven't been socializing for some time' to me doesn't add up as either way the basic idea of how she is doing would be known. A more logical conclusion seems to be that Harry tries to deflect the question (as he obviously talked to her a few days prior and most likely knows more than he wants to let on) which he might have done previously as well. He probably feels that it is not his place to talk about his sister-in-law in public. So, he pretends not too know that much (in both cases; he also hardly talks about George and Charlotte, again most likely because he thinks -correctly- that that is not his place) which is a friendlier approach than blatantly stating that he doesn't want to talk about it.

Countessmout's explanation that he might have meant 'we haven't been socializing for some time' to me doesn't add up as either way the basic idea of how she is doing would be known. A more logical conclusion seems to be that Harry tries to deflect the question (as he obviously talked to her a few days prior and most likely knows more than he wants to let on) which he might have done previously as well. He probably feels that it is not his place to talk about his sister-in-law in public. So, he pretends not too know that much (in both cases; he also hardly talks about George and Charlotte, again most likely because he thinks -correctly- that that is not his place) which is a friendlier approach than blatantly stating that he doesn't want to talk about it.

I agree with you, which I guess is what I was getting at with my post above yours.

The relationship between Harry and Catherine have always been close since William and Catherine started dating. They have formed a good little brother and big sister type of a relationship. It’s all due to the many years they’ve known each other.

Harry was very excited to officially welcome Catherine into the family.

Well for a comparison, while at an engagement on Sept 4, Harry was asked how Kate was doing. Bear in mind, he'd had an engagement with Kate on Aug 30. His answer was 'I haven't seen her in a while, but I think she's okay.'

Read more: Prince Harry says Kate's third pregnancy is 'fantastic' | Daily Mail Online

[.[/COLOR]

Ha, perhaps Harry is very forgetful.

People gave him heck for it on Twitter for it too.. You were just with her a few days before but don't know how she is :lol:

I may be in the minority, but I don't feel Kate and Harry are all that close.

I think he could avoid "too intense questioning" and avoid giving too much information, without saying something like "Oh I haven't seen her for a bit" when he's seen her 2 or 3 days ago. and he does IIRC mention George at least, I seem to remember him telling some anecdote about George...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom